BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Coding in anti-dazzle on M2C

01-01-2022, 12:06 PM   #1
DriftKr6l
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Comp

Coding in anti-dazzle on M2C

Anyone done this on their M2C?

Wondering if coding is the same on M2C
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 02:28 PM   #2
DriftKr6l
Private First Class
Rep

Just noticed I posted this in M2 not M2C sub forum, sorry, can we move this mods?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 08:59 AM   #3
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
I have done this in my M2C and I think it works pretty well. I hardly get flashed by oncoming drivers and just my observation is that the right LEDs are coming on an off in order to not blind oncoming drivers. I drive on a lot of dark roads with deer etc., and find this very useful.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 09:29 AM   #4
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
I have done this in my M2C and I think it works pretty well. I hardly get flashed by oncoming drivers and just my observation is that the right LEDs are coming on an off in order to not blind oncoming drivers. I drive on a lot of dark roads with deer etc., and find this very useful.
I've coded anti dazzle as well. I've found that with oncoming traffic it works fine. Where it has problems is coming up behind cars in which case I turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 09:41 AM   #5
TBURKE555
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

I have done this also agree with how it works. Great for oncoming traffic and I turn it off when following cars
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 10:26 AM   #6
DriftKr6l
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys.

Did you guys just follow the steps in that video or was it different for M2C?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 12:47 PM   #7
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftKr6l View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

Did you guys just follow the steps in that video or was it different for M2C?
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ive+headlights

I followed the directions from a previous thread. If I remember correctly there are two different functions to change. One is anti-dazzle and the other is VLD (Variable Light Distribution).I was thinking of cross referencing with the Video to make sure mine has all the changes. The thread is long with lots of opinions. VLD is absolutely safe to code, anti dazzle is controversial but if you don't use it when following traffic it's safe. Just push the auto headlight button on the turn signal lever and use the high beams off and on like the old days.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 05:14 PM   #8
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ive+headlights

I followed the directions from a previous thread. If I remember correctly there are two different functions to change. One is anti-dazzle and the other is VLD (Variable Light Distribution).I was thinking of cross referencing with the Video to make sure mine has all the changes. The thread is long with lots of opinions. VLD is absolutely safe to code, anti dazzle is controversial but if you don't use it when following traffic it's safe. Just push the auto headlight button on the turn signal lever and use the high beams off and on like the old days.
Hahaha, I've read countless hours of different threads debating the GFHB. I am fairly convinced that they will work correctly if coded properly, but I have yet to try it, as I'm a bit of a Bimmercode newbie and I'm a bit of a chicken...

DriftKr6l Save you some time from the searching:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=50

AlpsRider I believe in one of the other threads, you said that you used an android to code in Bimmercode. How did you manage to code the multiple lines that were required under the different 3073 LaMaster1 sections?
      01-04-2022, 06:22 PM   #9
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Conoway View Post
Hahaha, I've read countless hours of different threads debating the GFHB. I am fairly convinced that they will work correctly if coded properly, but I have yet to try it, as I'm a bit of a Bimmercode newbie and I'm a bit of a chicken...

AlpsRider I believe in one of the other threads, you said that you used an android to code in Bimmercode. How did you manage to code the multiple lines that were required under the different 3073 LaMaster1 sections?
To tell you the truth I've had it coded for almost 3 years so I don't remember exactly the coding lines but I'm pretty sure I have it written down somewhere. I know that I used the advanced mode. Yes, I do all my coding on my Android phone or tablet using bimmercode and Carly. I'll check to see if I have the lines of changes in my archives.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 08:05 PM   #10
DriftKr6l
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Thx.
Wish there was a how to video for anto dazzle on an M2 using bimmercode
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 06:00 PM   #11
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Today I scanned my car with bimmercode. The link above is the same settings that I have for VLD and anti-dazzle. If I remember correctly with the Android version of the app the "enable" in some of the settings only show up once even though it says to select both. It doesn't matter, it still works.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 01:39 PM   #12
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Today I scanned my car with bimmercode. The link above is the same settings that I have for VLD and anti-dazzle. If I remember correctly with the Android version of the app the "enable" in some of the settings only show up once even though it says to select both. It doesn't matter, it still works.
Ok, because I know it won't let you select multiple values for some of the menus (thanks android), but if you've already done it and only selected one of the active values, I will trust your judgement.

Guess I'll just have to try it out and hopefully not blow-up my headlight...
      01-06-2022, 02:56 PM   #13
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Don't worry, there should be a backup so you can always revert back.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2022, 05:30 PM   #14
DriftKr6l
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ok, because I know it won't let you select multiple values for some of the menus (thanks android), but if you've already done it and only selected one of the active values, I will trust your judgement.

Guess I'll just have to try it out and hopefully not blow-up my headlight...
Let us know how it went and what sequence you followed, I too will be using Android
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 05:46 PM   #15
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Will try it out over the weekend if I've got some time and report back
      01-07-2022, 01:57 PM   #16
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
There's an old thread buried in here somewhere that went on for a ton of pages talking about VLD. Lots of conflicting information in it - yes you can enable it in US-spec cars, works perfectly. You can enable it, but it's not the same result as a euro car because the headlights themselves are different and not built for it. Won't blind oncoming traffic at all. Might blind some oncoming traffic. Blah blah blah. Which is accurate? Never could come to any firm conclusion from reading everything I could find.
///M TOWN20358.00
      01-07-2022, 02:36 PM   #17
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
There's an old thread buried in here somewhere that went on for a ton of pages talking about VLD. Lots of conflicting information in it - yes you can enable it in US-spec cars, works perfectly. You can enable it, but it's not the same result as a euro car because the headlights themselves are different and not built for it. Won't blind oncoming traffic at all. Might blind some oncoming traffic. Blah blah blah. Which is accurate? Never could come to any firm conclusion from reading everything I could find.
Right, I've got through all of those threads and there was never a definitive conclusion. Some people say it works flawlessly, others say it's dangerous. I saw the different PNs for the euro headlights vs the US ones, but that doesn't really prove anything, as it could be anything from a simple label change for us regulations vs euro, or more major with actual hardware changes. Someone even tried to post a side by side internals comparison of the US vs the Euro ones, but it turned out to be fake, as an image search turned out that the one headlight was from a MINI...

So again, I've just gotta do it for myself and come to my own conclusion. That, or I'd have to get in contact with some of my old BMW colleagues who would be able to give the definitive answer.

Last edited by Fred Conoway; 01-08-2022 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
chris7197363.50
      01-08-2022, 11:43 AM   #18
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

In my experience it definitely blinds other vehicles. I've personally tested it by driving in front of my 2018 M2 LCI with my wife driving the m2. It looks like your brights are on.

You can also tell the light is not shielded properly, it is very obvious when you approach a vehicle from behind on a dark road … it clearly throws light into their rear and side view mirrors.

Oncoming traffic I have not been able to test as that is harder to arrange.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 09:45 PM   #19
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update on this headlight coding, as I've finally had a chance to try out the Variable Light Distribution (VLD) and Glare Free High Beams (GFHB).

VLD: Don't really notice this too much. It's clear that it's working, as when stopped, the left headlight is dipped slightly, and the right headlight is up. Out on the road though, it's hard to notice the difference. On the highway, it does seem that the light throw is a little farther, but it's marginal at most. Helpful tip; when you throw it into reverse, the light pattern goes back to factory setup, so it's easy to see if you've coded it correctly.

GFHB: Definitely notice this one working properly and coding according to my previous post worked. As others have pointed out, it isn't as sophisticated as some of the more expensive models with the tunneling effect, but it clearly dips the individual beams to not blind oncoming traffic and coming up behind other vehicles. Works great to light up road signs and the ditch when traffic is in front of you, and it clearly swivels the light as you proceed to pass, then finally dipping as you get within 20ft of vehicle.

It wasn't 100% flawless, as I noticed it is a little slower to react around large trucks, but not to the point of blinding them in their rearview mirrors. Over the 200miles or so that I had them turned on, there was only one instance where I blinded/flashed another driver. I came up behind a pickup in the left lane, and as he transitioned over to the right, the high beams switched on unexpectedly and the guy wasn't too happy when I passed him, as it seemed like I flashed him (probably swearing at me and saying "Who's this F**king a-hole" ). I don't really attribute this to the GFHB coding, as I have had the automatic high beams do weird things like that previously. But other than this one mishap, they worked very well and as I expected them to.

So, after months of reading countless threads/comments going back and forth on whether or not this can be safely coded into M2 LCIs (and subsequent models) and used on public roads, I can definitively say that GFHB works as intended.

Hope this puts this debate to rest finally!
      03-03-2022, 03:02 PM   #20
DriftKr6l
Private First Class
Rep

Hey Fred,

Thank you for updating us. Two questions:
1. Can you code GFHB without coding VLD?
2. Could you share the exact coding you did for both for sake of completeness in this thread?

Quote:
Update on this headlight coding, as I've finally had a chance to try out the Variable Light Distribution (VLD) and Glare Free High Beams (GFHB).

VLD: Don't really notice this too much. It's clear that it's working, as when stopped, the left headlight is dipped slightly, and the right headlight is up. Out on the road though, it's hard to notice the difference. On the highway, it does seem that the light throw is a little farther, but it's marginal at most. Helpful tip; when you throw it into reverse, the light pattern goes back to factory setup, so it's easy to see if you've coded it correctly.

GFHB: Definitely notice this one working properly and coding according to my previous post worked. As others have pointed out, it isn't as sophisticated as some of the more expensive models with the tunneling effect, but it clearly dips the individual beams to not blind oncoming traffic and coming up behind other vehicles. Works great to light up road signs and the ditch when traffic is in front of you, and it clearly swivels the light as you proceed to pass, then finally dipping as you get within 20ft of vehicle.

It wasn't 100% flawless, as I noticed it is a little slower to react around large trucks, but not to the point of blinding them in their rearview mirrors. Over the 200miles or so that I had them turned on, there was only one instance where I blinded/flashed another driver. I came up behind a pickup in the left lane, and as he transitioned over to the right, the high beams switched on unexpectedly and the guy wasn't too happy when I passed him, as it seemed like I flashed him (probably swearing at me and saying "Who's this F**king a-hole" ). I don't really attribute this to the GFHB coding, as I have had the automatic high beams do weird things like that previously. But other than this one mishap, they worked very well and as I expected them to.

So, after months of reading countless threads/comments going back and forth on whether or not this can be safely coded into M2 LCIs (and subsequent models) and used on public roads, I can definitively say that GFHB works as intended.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 03:28 PM   #21
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Quote:

I'd recommend having a friend drive in front of you and experiment with the GFHB. You'll likely find you are in fact blinding other drivers, just as I did. In my experimenting in this manner, I found there must be missing hardware in the headlights in USA vehicles which prevent light from being properly shielded.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 03:33 PM   #22
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftKr6l View Post
Hey Fred,

Thank you for updating us. Two questions:
1. Can you code GFHB without coding VLD?
2. Could you share the exact coding you did for both for sake of completeness in this thread?
DriftKr6l Used this post from AndrewC1989 :

To answer your questions:
1. Cannot answer this as I have both coded. I would assume that you can since the functions are separate in Bimmercode
2. See above link. Because I am on Android, I was not able to select both options in the menus for LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y, C_AFS_ENA, and C_HBA_ENA. I believe I only selected the bottom-most options, as this should have enabled both, but I would have to go back in and check that for sure.

One final tibit of info, I re-watched a video (see below) that was posted previously on one of the other threads. This was a Euro spec vehicle. I didn't notice my lights tunneling around cars as much as it did here, but it may have had to do with the difference between 2-lane highways versus interstate driving. I think I will have to do some more driving on darker roads to see if I can really see the tunneling effect, or if my lights are doing something different. Regardless, they still do more than simply shutting on and off, and they do not blind drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEBCdv-f9Fw