BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BC coilover/camber plates adding noise on highway?

12-11-2023, 08:06 PM   #1
lmach
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

BC coilover/camber plates adding noise on highway?

I recently had BC Racing DS-DA Coilovers installed (with pillow ball top mounts/camber plates) and I'm hearing added noise from the front suspension, mostly passenger side, at highway speeds i.e. 100km/h+.

The noise is pretty faint and hard to describe (I'll try and get a sound clip of it on the way home from work) but it's almost like you can hear the suspension components moving with every tiny imperfection in the road. It's slightly louder the worst the road is. I don't really hear any additional noises at lower speeds or going over large bumps, just at high speed, even on completely flat highways. Doesn't sound like tyre noise either.

I'm thinking this may just be the additional noise that's being let into the cabin with the pillowball top mounts compared to the OEM ones?

I'm not necessarily bothered by the noise, but just want to make it's just a by-product of aftermarket camber plates and not something else I should be worried about?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 05:31 AM   #2
lmach
Australia
Rep

Got a video, it’s definitely not a normal sound. It’s hard to hear if you aren’t wearing headphones but it’s the loudest towards the end of the video. Kind of sounds like something’s loose on both sides.

I do have spacers (they’re hub-centric) on the front so I’m thinking maybe that might be it? There’s no vibrating though or any other noise at lower speeds or going over bumps.

Haven’t had the chance to jack it up yet but first thing I’ll do tomorrow is try taking the spacers off.

https://youtube.com/shorts/NTOgqJV3L...FeGglZnl_69H4n
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 10:39 PM   #3
lmach
Australia
Rep

Took the spacers off, cleaned the hubs, sound still there...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 01:51 PM   #4
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Someone is going to have to get under it and nut/bolt check and attempt to id/isolate the cause.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 01:58 PM   #5
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmach View Post
I'm thinking this may just be the additional noise that's being let into the cabin with the pillowball top mounts compared to the OEM ones?

I'm not necessarily bothered by the noise, but just want to make it's just a by-product of aftermarket camber plates and not something else I should be worried about?
I will add that I just moved from TC Kline to OG Shark Motorsports spec Nitron R1 which use solid mounts everywhere (in addition to the SPL arms I have) and I don’t experience this noise. Suspension is dead quiet beyond the typical squish sound motorsports grade dampers make occasionally over something like a driveway.
Appreciate 1
lmach61.50
      12-17-2023, 01:21 AM   #6
Nathank234
Rep
Drives: m2

hey mate.

i run the same coil-overs and have zero noise. check and make sure your three collars are tightened down because if they aren't, then they can rattle. Make sure there is also preload on the spring, clearly wont be your issue but since its a linear spring then as little preload as you can get away with while the spring is still not moving around. Another area is also making sure the bottom of the coilover is all the way bottomed out into the hub and the pinch bolt tightened up. lastly, even though it should come tight, some people have had noise simply because the top coilover nut was not tightened enough from the factory and might just need a bit of an impact gun to help it a bit as the shaft spins.
Appreciate 1
lmach61.50
      12-17-2023, 06:30 PM   #7
lmach
Australia
Rep

So turns out it was just the carbon fibre arch guards smacking against the fender in the wind....

I was sitting at work thinking of what else I've changed on the car recently other than the coilovers and I also took the side skirts off. Then I remembered when I installed the arch guards I didn't use the double sided tape that came with them on the bottom because the side skirts protruded forward slightly and the arch guards kind of rested on them, preventing them from moving in the wind. I installed them over a year ago so didn't even cross my mind when I took the skirts off.

So I got home from work and double sided taped the bottom of the guard to the fender. I was still skeptical though because the noise didn't really sound like plastic tapping against the fender, thought it was more of a rattle sound. Plus I couldn't hear it at all with the window down. Anyway, took it for a drive on the highway and noise gone... LOL.

I'm relieved that it was such an easy fix and not something to do with the suspension but also slightly annoyed that I spent 4 days wondering about something so stupid.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 01:28 AM   #8
Freshly_Baked
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmach View Post
I recently had BC Racing DS-DA Coilovers installed (with pillow ball top mounts/camber plates)
Hey lmach,

I am currently looking at some BC Coilovers, BR or DS series.

Wanted to see you thoughts after install and living with it for a few months?

Thanks
Appreciate 0