BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > uneven brake pads wear on the front wheels

11-10-2023, 08:14 PM   #1
XYoung
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Garage List
uneven brake pads wear on the front wheels

At my last track day, last session the front brake was making grinding noise, so I figured something was wrong, the outside pad has >6mm thickness, and no brake sensor warning... so I still drove the car back home with the noise. Later I took off the drive side front wheel, see the picture attached, there was slanted inner pad wear, basically the top part is down to the metal plate, and metal to metal ruined my rotor too. The passenger side front is exactly like this, except it still has the last tiny layer of material on the top side of the pad. The rear brakes are totally fine, even wear inside and outside, no thickness difference. Has anyone seen this before?
My car is a 2021 comp, stock brake pads and rotors, ~6000mi, been on the track for 6-7 days, recently replaced the PSS tire with RE71RS, and added camber plate before the last track day, motul 600 brake fluid. before the failure, no brake vibration and any performance issue, actually I had PB from the last day (before the pad worn out on me). I am still learning the car, so I never turned ESC off completely, mostly MDM mode on the track, with the passenger, full nanny on.
Now I replaced the front rotors and front / rear pads - EBC bluestuff. It's an expensive lesson learned, never be lazy and skip the inner pad check.
The questions are:
1) since it's on both sides, I have less doubt on the caliper failure, or sliding pin/piston problem, but do I still need to take the car to an indy shop to consult? I bet dealers won't help much even within the warranty due to track use?
2) Is this due to some bad brake habit that I am not aware of? My understanding is MDM mode would trigger more on the rear brakes to avoid sliding, I don't know if it would impact the front or not.
3) the rotor still has almost the full thickness, is it worth resurfacing the rotor if possible? then I can save them as back up rotors.
4) if this is happening again, is it better to rotate the pads after each track day?

my friends have never seen this before, so I posted it here for help, really appreciated!
Attached Images

11-13-2023, 07:39 PM   #2
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
I must say that is very unusual wear indeed and I've never seen that before ... best to consult an indy.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      11-15-2023, 11:29 AM   #3
Apexeater
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2 Competition 6 speed

Isn't that kind of wear related to a sticking pin?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 07:14 AM   #4
GtSport
Rep
Drives: F87N & F30

On this platform, there is a big difference in brake disc temperature outside/inside, especially in the rear:

I believe the same thing happens in the front without brake cooling.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      11-29-2023, 07:25 PM   #5
XYoung
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtSport View Post
On this platform, there is a big difference in brake disc temperature outside/inside, especially in the rear:

I believe the same thing happens in the front without brake cooling.
Thanks for the great info! I believe that's the issue.