BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Can’t solve battery issue (fault codes included)

12-28-2023, 12:31 AM   #1
Bertskizpolski
Registered
Rep
Drives: Subaru Impreza, BMW M2

Can’t solve battery issue (fault codes included)

(Crossposting this here from Reddit)

Car is a 2016 M2, ~60k miles, 6mt.

Pretty much every time I go to start my car I get the error that my battery is discharged, and that I have a battery drain issue when the car is off. I’ve had this issue for around 3 months since like 2 weeks after I bought the car when it first showed up. The car has always been able to crank and turn on perfectly fine with no hesitation. The battery was also replaced and registered by a BMW dealership ~3,000 miles ago, before I bought it.

I use Bimmerlink to check my gauges and my battery percentage and the issue I see is that it doesn’t always give me a percentage, but will show “ - “, or a random percentage. The issue is oddly intermittent and I might start the car and have it show me a charge of 88%, then after restarting the car after a short drive it might show “ - “ again and not read any charge. Or vice versa. Again, no issue starting up. The issue doesn’t seem like a genuine battery drain but that the car isn’t reading the battery properly.

The car always reads the voltage and it’s fine at 14+. No issues there. When testing the battery itself the capacity is perfectly healthy and it has a solid charge even when the car is saying the battery is dead. They’re contradicting each other and I’m not sure where to go from here.

I took it to an Indy BMW shop and they found the battery to be fine and it passed every test they did on it. The IBS cable was replaced and that didn’t help. The car also had a full software update, and it looked like it worked but the warning came back the next day.

Really at a loss for where to go from here.

I attached the codes logged in the car from the FEM and DME.

8040B7
8040B9
8040BB
8040BD

The ones showing as actively present are 213901 & 8040BB. Every other code is showing as stored but not currently present.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 06:01 AM   #2
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

When I was living in CT I got similar things during the winter, ran through the same things you did. First question is where do you park the car and how cold has it been there? Again I only saw this issue during the winter and if you do a quick search on the message and cold weather, you'll see a lot of things. The other thing that goes without saying is making sure nothing is left plugged in, sometimes people forget OBD wireless scanners which do drain slowly.
Appreciate 0