BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > LED Adaptive Headlights w/ Variable Light Distribution (VLD) - High Beam Assist (HBA)

11-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #155
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjams View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Owners of LCI vehicles have claimed that the previous coding I supplied to them worked but I guess they were really mistaken. Hence the reason I assumed the coding for LCI & Pre-LCI headlights were the same.
I was one of those people and I continue to think mine is working properly.

For example, tonight I was on the expressway with adaptive turned on. We hit a stretch with less light, and at that time I was in the left lane maybe 2-3 lengths behind another car. First my left high beam turned on, aimed at the high barrier on the left median (there was some construction, so it was one of those with the green fins). A couple seconds later my right side high beam also came on, and very obviously moved out wide to create a tunnel for the car in front of me, and to light up the right side shoulder. My passenger even commented on it.

Is it possible that mine are not working correctly? Absolutely. But, I have seen no videos of any adaptive LED headlights doing anything mine aren't doing, with one exception.

In the videos I've seen of European cars with this feature, the lights seem to fade on/off smoothly before/during/after changes. Mine definitely do not fade. They snap, always. So perhaps the more extensive coding that needs to be done on the US model is to give the right values for different states of lighting, so that and the fades will happen once that additonal data is in the electronics.
What coding did you do to enable this feature? Esys or BimmerCode?

US car? Date of production?

Can you take a video of this? I've still yet to see any videos of the US M2 with this feature enabled to confirm its working as expected.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 07:45 PM   #156
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxcamel View Post
Someone with an LCI and esys should give this a try

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1452268635
That is exactly what I did, along with getting help from Almaretto because a lot of the things in that pdf aren't applicable to our cars.

Read the thread I linked a few posts back, it has all the details of what I did, which changes I made etc.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 02:16 PM   #157
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Quote:
Someone with an LCI and esys should give this a try

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1452268635
That is exactly what I did, along with getting help from Almaretto because a lot of the things in that pdf aren't applicable to our cars.

Read the thread I linked a few posts back, it has all the details of what I did, which changes I made etc.
And the debate should have ended thanks to your efforts until a hardware change is ever incorporated.

Unfortunately there are members who are more interested in creating a false narrative rather than accepting of the truth.

1. No NAR (US/CAN) Bi-Xenon have ever been equipped from the factory with the proper projectors. Anyone who had "coded them" and claims the work correctly is lying. There is a very simple method to verify this and is 100% infallible.

2. Again as you've shown
(pasted below) none of the settings for the light emitting elements for VLD or GFHB are present in F87LCI caf files due to their single projector design (the items you marked in red). RoW cars with the full AFS projectors have an additional self contained led matrix driver.

Looking at the 72 differences between US and EU FEL ECU Coding, I can see a number of similar line items with the F15. The coding data itself is of course different, but the line items are similar.

Below is a list of the first items with lots of hex data, rather than single bytes. In Black are items only found in the F87, in [COLOR="Red"]Red, items only found in F15[/COLOR], and in [COLOR="seagreen"]Green, items found in both[/COLOR]:
[COLOR="red"]Stadt_V_Idx
SAE_Idx
H_plus4_Idx
Blendfreies_Fernlicht_Idx
Volles_Fernlicht_Lichthupe_Idx
DRL_Idx[/COLOR]
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]POLI1_Idx
POLI2_Idx
POLI3_Idx
PLI_Idx
WELL1_Idx
WELL2_Idx
WELL3_Idx
WELL4_Idx
FMH_Idx
REMLI_Idx[/COLOR]
[COLOR="red"]HBBLINK_Idx[/COLOR]
[COLOR="seagreen"]DWABLINK_Idx
PANICMODE_Idx[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]RAIDALARM_Idx[/COLOR]
[COLOR="seagreen"]BLINKEN_Idx
SIDEMRKLGT_Idx[/COLOR]
So far a lot of overlap, and nothing additional in F87...

And the single byte list with the same colour code:
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]HlPrjLabel_HlType[/COLOR]
H1PrjLabel_H1HistoryNumber
H1PrjLabel_H1Rechtslenker
[COLOR="red"]LmmIdx00_ErrorImpact
LmmIdx02_ErrorImpact
LmmIdx03_ErrorImpact
LmmIdx04_Intensity
LmmIdx04_TimeOn
LmmIdx04_TimeOff
LmmIdx04_ErrorImpact[/COLOR]
[COLOR="seagreen"]LmmIdx05_Intensity
LmmIdx05_TimeOn
LmmIdx05_TimeOff[/COLOR]
LmmIdx05_Priority
LmmIdx05_RampType
[COLOR="Red"]LmmIdx05_ErrorImpact[/COLOR]
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]LmmIdx06_Intensity[/COLOR]
[COLOR="red"]LmmIdx06_TimeOn
LmmIdx06_ErrorImpact[/COLOR]
LmmIdx06_Priority
LmmIdx07_Intesity
LmmIdx07_TimeOn
LmmIdx07_TimeOff
[COLOR="seagreen"]LmmIdx07_Priority[/COLOR]
LmmIdx07_RampType
[COLOR="Red"]LmmIdx07_ErrorImpact[/COLOR]
LmmIdx08_Priority
LmmIdx08_Active
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]LmmIdx09_Intensity
LmmIdx09_Priority[/COLOR]
LmmIdx09_Active
[COLOR="Red"]LmmIdx09_ErrorImpact
LmmIdx10_Intensity
LmmIdx10_Priority
LmmIdx11_Intensity
LmmIdx11_Priority
LmmIdx11_ErrorImpact
LmmIdx12_Intensity
LmmIdx12_Priority
LmmIdx12_ErrorImpact
LmmIdx13_TimeOn
LmmIdx13_TimeOff
LmmIdx13_Priority
LmmIdx14_Intensity
LmmIdx14_TimeOn
LmmIdx14_TimeOff
LmmIdx14_Priority
LmmIdx14_ErrorImpact
LmmIdx15_Intensity
LmmIdx15_Active
LmmIdx16_Intensity
LmmIdx16_TimeOn
LmmIdx16_TimeOff
LmmIdx16_Priority
LmmIdx17_Priority
LmmIdx17_Active
LmmIdx18_Intensity
LmmIdx18_TimeOn
LmmIdx18_TimeOff
LmmIdx18_Priority
LmmReLut_LgtFct0
LmmReLut_LogLmpLow0
LmmReLut_Idx0
LmmReLut_LgtFct1
LmmReLut_LogLmpLow1
LmmReLut_Idx1
LmmReLut_LgtFct2
LmmReLut_LogLmpLow2
LmmReLut_Idx2
LmmReLut_LgtFct3
LmmReLut_LogLmpLow3
LmmReLut_Idx3
LmmReLut_LgtFct4
LmmReLut_LogLmpLow4
LmmReLut_Idx4
LmmReLut_LgtFct5
LmmReLut_LogLmpLow5
LmmReLut_LogLmpHigh5
LmmReLut_Idx5
LmmReLut_LgtFct6
LmmReLut_LogLmpLow6
LmmReLut_LogLmpHigh6
LmmReLut_Idx6
LmmReLut_LgtFct7
LmmReLut_LogLmpLow7
LmmReLut_LogLmpHigh7
LmmReLut_Idx7
LmmReLut_LgtFct8
LmmReLut_LogLmpLow8
LmmReLut_LogLmpHigh8
LmmReLut_Idx8[/COLOR]
So here there are many more differences, and a lot more differences in F15 than F87.

There are a few other differences in F87that aren't reported in the F15 document, but these appear to be power related things, with mentions of current binning, duty cycle etc.

Finally, two other differences that may or may not be relevant:
LM_ID_LT04
LM04_Name
The other relevant point to note is that the F15 document says to remove 8S4 and 5AP from the FA, and VO Code BDC_BODY (equivalent to FEM_BODY in F87) and KAFAS (equivalent to FAFAS2 in F87) or KFA depending on which is present, and both FLE.

As I stated earlier in this thread, removing 8S4 and 5AP from my FA results in no changes at all in KAFAS2 or FLE, and only differences in FEM_BODY. 2 of those differences appear when removing 8S4 and I can confirm enable VLD, and 1 difference appears when removing 5AP and is therefore related to NGHB.

This would indicate to me, that assuming no hardware limitations, changing the 1 item in FEM_BODY and the 34 items in FLE might enable NGHB in the US LCI F87 with adaptive LED and KAFAS2.

I guess it might be necessary to also set something in KAFAS2, but I'm unclear why this isn't being indicated by the EU VO coding.

Thoughts Almaretto? Care to be the guinea pig ZPrime
Appreciate 1
Almaretto2374.00
      11-28-2018, 11:45 PM   #158
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
And the debate should have ended thanks to your efforts until a hardware change is ever incorporated.

Unfortunately there are members who are more interested in creating a false narrative rather than accepting of the truth.

The other relevant point to note is that the F15 document says to remove 8S4 and 5AP from the FA, and VO Code BDC_BODY (equivalent to FEM_BODY in F87) and KAFAS (equivalent to FAFAS2 in F87) or KFA depending on which is present, and both FLE.

As I stated earlier in this thread, removing 8S4 and 5AP from my FA results in no changes at all in KAFAS2 or FLE, and only differences in FEM_BODY. 2 of those differences appear when removing 8S4 and I can confirm enable VLD, and 1 difference appears when removing 5AP and is therefore related to NGHB.

This would indicate to me, that assuming no hardware limitations, changing the 1 item in FEM_BODY and the 34 items in FLE might enable NGHB in the US LCI F87 with adaptive LED and KAFAS2.

I guess it might be necessary to also set something in KAFAS2, but I'm unclear why this isn't being indicated by the EU VO coding.

Agreed. Though, I have seen some US M2 Comp without 5AP, but with 8S4. I would have to look more closely at Xpath to know expected changes.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 05:58 AM   #159
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Quote:

Agreed. Though, I have seen some US M2 Comp without 5AP, but with 8S4. I would have to look more closely at Xpath to know expected changes.
Some cars were built with 552 but without Exec Pack so no FLA or KAFAS.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 10:15 AM   #160
mamudiaz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw e81 M

hello from spain...if somebody is interested on a complet and new pair of bmw f22 adaptive led headlights LHD please pm...i have a complet pair new for sale...thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 11:48 AM   #161
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

And FWIW, there is a hardware change mentioned for post 11.18 production.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 12:18 AM   #162
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Interesting. Have not seen any, but there are sometimes strange option combinations for early dealership models.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 06:56 AM   #163
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Quote:
Do you know if these were US or Canadian cars?

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 08:46 PM   #164
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Quote:
Interesting. Have not seen any, but there are sometimes strange option combinations for early dealership models.
Very common on M2LCI due to the way allocations are handled. I should have paid closer attention to the M2 Comp reference. That particular car was US Conformity Certification car #2 and did not have KAFAS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
Quote:
Do you know if these were US or Canadian cars?
It's a very ambiguous notation for general production installation (doesn't show when market filters applied). Will know a little more after Monday update.
Appreciate 1
Almaretto2374.00
      12-06-2018, 08:23 AM   #165
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Ok guys my M2C is coming next week, as you can tell I'm from Saudi. I want to understand if VLD is a specific option on the car or is included part of the options below

S552A Adaptive LED headlight
S5ACA High-beam assistant
S5ASA Driving Assistant
      12-06-2018, 11:47 PM   #166
bjams
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2 LBB

Not to continue and beat this horse to death, but one final post until further notice...

Those of you who claim that coding GFHB on US spec cars has *not* fully worked, check this video out.

Things I want to point out:

1. I'm pretty sure this was shot in Europe because of the road signs. It's hard to see, but if you go frame by frame you can see that the car is passing signs that are right-side-up white triangles with a red outline. We do not have this sign in the US, and it is a very common one in Europe.

2. He says in the video title that they are adaptive LED.

3. The feature that several of you have said will *not* work properly on US spec cars is tunneling while following a car, creating a dazzle hazard for the car in front. If you go to ~1:35 in the video you will see them approach a leading car. The headlights continue to stay on full high-beam mode until the leading car is MUCH closer, not until the ~1:43 mark do they form a tunnel. This is similar to what I've seen my car do. It does eventually make a tunnel, but only once the leading car is a lot closer (as in the video) and only if light conditions on the road continue to be just right. Even a brightly lit passing road sign in this situation will kick it back to low-only mode.

These things lead me to a couple questions/statements:

1. Assuming this is an EU-spec car driving in Europe, I think it's safe to assume we are seeing full EU-spec GFHB in action.

2. There are only 2 things I see the headlight hardware physically doing in this video. Those things are 1) cycling on/off the "high" set of LEDs and 2) changing the focus (aim) of each projector. I don't see it physically doing anything I have not seen my US-spec lights do.

3. I do not see anything here that appears to be individual LEDs on the projector switching on/off, dimming, being shaded, shuttered, etc. to shape the beam. Even if this were happening, I think the LEDs are too close together, and the projector is too diffused for it to make much of a difference. I think some of you may be imagining that this works somewhat like the Audi "Matrix" LED headlights, but if you look at the shape of those, they have 5 very distinct projectors on each side of the car. I just don't think the BMW adaptive lights are that sophisticated. The emitters are very close together and behind a strong diffusion plate. I tried to peer into the projector using a welding glass to see what the individual emitters are doing, and I can't even make them out. With such heavy diffusion, there is no way these lights can project a sharp enough beam from an individual LED emitter to shape the over-all headlight.

4. Those of you who claim to have had this functionality working on previously owned cars, were all of those Xenon headlights? I think it is possible that the adaptive LEDs just function completely differently than the adaptive Xenons did, and so we just aren't sure what we are seeing yet.

And so my final point...

Everything I see the above, assumed EU-spec car doing in this video is stuff that my car does with a few coding tweaks. Yes, as others have discovered, it does appear to wait too long to make a tunnel for a leading car. But so does the EU-spec car, and it eventually will do it.

Granted, I have not experimented with mine in dense fog like this driver is doing, but if I ever see some I will definitely do so and report back.

And if anyone can find a video of another EU-spec car with adaptive LEDs doing something in addition to what we see in this video please post it!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #167
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Not to continue and beat this horse to death, but one final post until further notice...

Those of you who claim that coding GFHB on US spec cars has *not* fully worked, check this video out.

Things I want to point out:

1. I'm pretty sure this was shot in Europe because of the road signs. It's hard to see, but if you go frame by frame you can see that the car is passing signs that are right-side-up white triangles with a red outline. We do not have this sign in the US, and it is a very common one in Europe.

2. He says in the video title that they are adaptive LED.

3. The feature that several of you have said will *not* work properly on US spec cars is tunneling while following a car, creating a dazzle hazard for the car in front. If you go to ~1:35 in the video you will see them approach a leading car. The headlights continue to stay on full high-beam mode until the leading car is MUCH closer, not until the ~1:43 mark do they form a tunnel. This is similar to what I've seen my car do. It does eventually make a tunnel, but only once the leading car is a lot closer (as in the video) and only if light conditions on the road continue to be just right. Even a brightly lit passing road sign in this situation will kick it back to low-only mode.

These things lead me to a couple questions/statements:

1. Assuming this is an EU-spec car driving in Europe, I think it's safe to assume we are seeing full EU-spec GFHB in action.

2. There are only 2 things I see the headlight hardware physically doing in this video. Those things are 1) cycling on/off the "high" set of LEDs and 2) changing the focus (aim) of each projector. I don't see it physically doing anything I have not seen my US-spec lights do.

3. I do not see anything here that appears to be individual LEDs on the projector switching on/off, dimming, being shaded, shuttered, etc. to shape the beam. Even if this were happening, I think the LEDs are too close together, and the projector is too diffused for it to make much of a difference. I think some of you may be imagining that this works somewhat like the Audi "Matrix" LED headlights, but if you look at the shape of those, they have 5 very distinct projectors on each side of the car. I just don't think the BMW adaptive lights are that sophisticated. The emitters are very close together and behind a strong diffusion plate. I tried to peer into the projector using a welding glass to see what the individual emitters are doing, and I can't even make them out. With such heavy diffusion, there is no way these lights can project a sharp enough beam from an individual LED emitter to shape the over-all headlight.

4. Those of you who claim to have had this functionality working on previously owned cars, were all of those Xenon headlights? I think it is possible that the adaptive LEDs just function completely differently than the adaptive Xenons did, and so we just aren't sure what we are seeing yet.

And so my final point...

Everything I see the above, assumed EU-spec car doing in this video is stuff that my car does with a few coding tweaks. Yes, as others have discovered, it does appear to wait too long to make a tunnel for a leading car. But so does the EU-spec car, and it eventually will do it.

Granted, I have not experimented with mine in dense fog like this driver is doing, but if I ever see some I will definitely do so and report back.

And if anyone can find a video of another EU-spec car with adaptive LEDs doing something in addition to what we see in this video please post it!
That video was made by a BP member over 3 years ago and does not belong to the YT account you linked from. It is a coded US spec F15 X5 in Europe and demonstrates correct hardware combined with correct coding = correct functionality. On those models, the sole difference between US and E.U. Adaptive LED are the Static Bend/Cornering lamp position.

Worse yet, what you claim isn't happening is, and what is happening isn't.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #168
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m7ammed View Post
Ok guys my M2C is coming next week, as you can tell I'm from Saudi. I want to understand if VLD is a specific option on the car or is included part of the options below

S5ASA Driving Assistant
AFS+ (VLD)is included in your market with 552.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #169
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m7ammed View Post

S5ASA Driving Assistant
AFS+ (VLD)is included in your market with 552.
Thanks
      12-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #170
bjams
Private
Rep

Quote:
That video was made by a BP member over 3 years ago and does not belong to the YT account you linked from. It is a coded US spec F15 X5 in Europe and demonstrates correct hardware combined with correct coding = correct functionality. On those models, the sole difference between US and E.U. Adaptive LED are the Static Bend/Cornering lamp position.

Okay, that’s good to know!

But again, subjectively speaking my car does everything that this car in the video is doing. My lights move the same way, and they tunnel the same way when light conditions are right.

I’m confused by your last comment. What is happening that I claim isn’t? What isn’t happening that I claim is?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 12:26 PM   #171
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Okay, that’s good to know!

But again, subjectively speaking my car does everything that this car in the video is doing. My lights move the same way, and they tunnel the same way when light conditions are right.

I’m confused by your last comment. What is happening that I claim isn’t? What isn’t happening that I claim is?
Can you share a video of your US spec car doing this?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 12:54 PM   #172
bjams
Private
Rep

Quote:
Can you share a video of your US spec car doing this?
I don’t have a video rig for my car or anything, but I will try and figure out a way to record it at some point. I also live in Chicago so finding the right light/road conditions is tough.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #173
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Okay, that's good to know!

I'm confused by your last comment. What is happening that I claim isn't? What isn't happening that I claim is?
Biggest factor is the F15 from the video is a completely different classification of headlamp type. Portions of the headlamps are transitioning from higher intensity to lower intensity, from lower intensity to higher intensity, turning off and coming on, all combined with stepper motor movement. They're also symmetrical at times and asymmetrical at others.

The (UN AFS+) F87 only has a single combined projector on each side which have to handle 15 different lighting modes each (sometimes combined, sometimes independently) so they are of a different type of headlamp category to begin with. The motion is actually limited because they cannot mechanically bend in certain modes and must rely on digital matrix beam shaping (not to be confused with Audi Branding reference Matrix).
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 01:51 PM   #174
bjams
Private
Rep

Are you saying you think the US projectors are not capable of moving the way the ones in that video are? Because that is just not true with my lights. They move just as much, and with the same range of motion, as the projectors in that video. And anything that moves mechanically like that is going to be stepper motor-driven, US lights included.

Okay, this conversation is just going around in circles. How do we get someone in Europe to record a video of their M2 with GFBH in action?

I will try to get a video of mine but it may not happen for a while, because I’d have to drive at least an hour or more outside the city to find a road as dark as the ones in that vid.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #175
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Are you saying you think the US projectors are not capable of moving the way the ones in that video are? Because that is just not true with my lights. They move just as much, and with the same range of motion, as the projectors in that video. And anything that moves mechanically like that is going to be stepper motor-driven, US lights included.

Okay, this conversation is just going around in circles. How do we get someone in Europe to record a video of their M2 with GFBH in action?

I will try to get a video of mine but it may not happen for a while, because I'd have to drive at least an hour or more outside the city to find a road as dark as the ones in that vid.
I really don't know how to further explain movement does not = correct functionality nor does lack of movement either.

Do you know the difference between these beam shapes, the luminous intensity of each, and their modes of operation?

Class C
Class C1
Class C2
Class E
Class E1
Class E2
Class E3
Class E-2
Class E-4
Class W
Class W1
Class W2

Class T
Class T_x (in combination with the above, when permitted and on which headlamp forward optic types different limitations apply?)

Class V1
Class V2
Class V3
Class V4
Class V5

How well does Tourist Mode Class R work on your car?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #176
bjams
Private
Rep

We’re looking at this in different ways. You are looking at behind the scenes, coding and saying that things cannot be the same.

I’m subjectively looking at what the headlights are actually doing and saying that my lights do those things. I don’t have a coding explanation for how/why/why not/how that is different/etc. I design lighting for a living so I look at beams of light on a daily basis and I can’t see anything in any video of GFHB that I have not seen my own car do.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry I don’t have a better explanation.
Appreciate 0