BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2C AA EL Resonated Midpipe with AA Valved Rear Section and Stock Downpipes

03-02-2022, 10:11 PM   #1
usc335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C, '08 E92 335

M2C AA EL Resonated Midpipe with AA Valved Rear Section and Stock Downpipes

Here is an exhaust compilation I put together of my M2 Competition with the Active Autowerke resonated equal length midpipe with the Active Autowerke valved rear section and stock downpipes:

There is no rattling at all cold, warm, or hot. It's a really tight fit though.
Appreciate 2
      03-03-2022, 08:38 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing, how do you like it?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 04:17 PM   #3
usc335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Thank you for sharing, how do you like it?
I think the sound is fantastic! To be honest, I only decided to buy the car after the EL midpipe fixed the horrible sounding stock S55 exhaust. Otherwise, I actually may not have bought the car. In Efficient mode, it's very smooth and not too loud (except at start up). In Sport mode, it's very aggressive with a very distinct pop when shifting gears (my car is a manual) at higher RPMs that sounds awesome. For me, Sport is a little too loud, but I think I'm in the minority. From inside the car neither mode is too loud - it's just outside the car or with the windows down that is too loud. I purposely got the resonated version to try to quiet it down a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 04:51 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc335 View Post
I think the sound is fantastic! To be honest, I only decided to buy the car after the EL midpipe fixed the horrible sounding stock S55 exhaust. Otherwise, I actually may not have bought the car. In Efficient mode, it's very smooth and not too loud (except at start up). In Sport mode, it's very aggressive with a very distinct pop when shifting gears (my car is a manual) at higher RPMs that sounds awesome. For me, Sport is a little too loud, but I think I'm in the minority. From inside the car neither mode is too loud - it's just outside the car or with the windows down that is too loud. I purposely got the resonated version to try to quiet it down a bit.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 10:39 PM   #5
Stryyker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 LBB M2C

Have the same setup and agree fitment id tight but sounds amazing. I still get a rattle from improper fitment near the mufflers connecting pipes ive had to readjust a few times and cant get it right haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 09:53 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

The M2C Active exhaust is built to order with a 1-2 week wait time.

From now on, we will start stocking these exhausts so they are ready to ship right away

Appreciate 1
zjldmd12.00
      03-13-2022, 10:25 PM   #7
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2C

Exact setup I am considering. Do you see the exhaust "grow" in length after warmed up? Some EL AA Midpipe owners (mostly non-resonated) from what I see had issues with them melting the diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 12:01 AM   #8
usc335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drp087 View Post
Exact setup I am considering. Do you see the exhaust "grow" in length after warmed up? Some EL AA Midpipe owners (mostly non-resonated) from what I see had issues with them melting the diffuser.
Yes, the exhaust certainly grows in length - maybe a 0.25 inch. I have the M Performance carbon diffuser, so I won't have the melting problem. But, I can see how the plastic diffuser could melt since you have to adjust the exhaust knowing it will grow.
The Torca clamps Active supplies to secure the midpipe resonator A/B pipes to the rear section aren't great. My exhaust has moved a bit after installation such that while the muffler has a gap to the rear heat shield when cold, it now contacts the heat shield on one side when hot (it didn't when I first installed it). So in addition to growing when hot, the rear section slipped backwards over time. It does not rattle or anything, but it does contact and I can see that causing the plastic diffuser the melt. I bought some Vibrant Performance 1171 clamps to replace the Active supplied Torca clamps to see if they will be more secure. I am going to try to adjust the rear section with the Vibrant clamps to prevent contact with the heat shield cold or hot (even though it will grow when hot). I'll report back after I can find the time to do it.
Appreciate 1
drp087233.00
      03-15-2022, 03:05 AM   #9
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2C

Wow thanks for the detailed update! Definitely helps for me as well as anyone else in the future looking for this setup. It always helps to have knowledgeable people here to try out new solutions. Will be waiting for the update!

Quote:
Yes, the exhaust certainly grows in length - maybe a 0.25 inch. I have the M Performance carbon diffuser, so I won't have the melting problem. But, I can see how the plastic diffuser could melt since you have to adjust the exhaust knowing it will grow.
The Torca clamps Active supplies to secure the midpipe resonator A/B pipes to the rear section aren't great. My exhaust has moved a bit after installation such that while the muffler has a gap to the rear heat shield when cold, it now contacts the heat shield on one side when hot (it didn't when I first installed it). So in addition to growing when hot, the rear section slipped backwards over time. It does not rattle or anything, but it does contact and I can see that causing the plastic diffuser the melt. I bought some Vibrant Performance 1171 clamps to replace the Active supplied Torca clamps to see if they will be more secure. I am going to try to adjust the rear section with the Vibrant clamps to prevent contact with the heat shield cold or hot (even though it will grow when hot). I'll report back after I can find the time to do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 10:04 AM   #10
scarygary
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by drp087 View Post
Wow thanks for the detailed update! Definitely helps for me as well as anyone else in the future looking for this setup. It always helps to have knowledgeable people here to try out new solutions. Will be waiting for the update!
ya the different clamps are good idea just for the bolts, the threads on mine couldnt handle the torque put on them
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 09:49 PM   #11
usc335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So, I installed the Vibrant clamps and they are definitely more secure than the Torca clamps that Active provides. The quality is much better and they are stainless steel. So far, they are secure and my muffler no longer touches the heat shield when it heats up. Here's what the clamps look like:
Appreciate 0