BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > OEM Suspension parts reused on Ohlins?

11-05-2020, 03:50 PM   #1
cpxchewy
Monkey
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

OEM Suspension parts reused on Ohlins?

Getting some Millway Street Camber Plates with Ohlins R&T. Ohlins are on backorder right now so unfortunately I don't know what's already included. I want to be able to just swap out the entire coilover without taking it apart.

Does anyone know what OEM parts I need to buy so that I can make the swap simple?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 06:42 AM   #2
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

I suspect the installation manual for both items will indicate what parts need to be re used and then use realoem to work out the part numbers.
      11-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #3
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Different make, but should give some pointers:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1751544
Appreciate 1
cpxchewy119.00
      11-07-2020, 01:53 AM   #4
cpxchewy
Monkey
Rep

Thanks everyone! I was actually struggling to find the installation manual because apparently Ohlins updated the model number from MR40 to MR41 and there wasn't an installation manual for MR41. The MR40 does show that the fronts don't reuse anything (besides replacing the TTY bolts)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 07:38 AM   #5
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: Team Schirmer M2 GT

Your new Ohlins and Millway kit will include everything you need to assemble the new system prior to install. This way you can just simply unbolt your OEM setup from the top/bottom, pull it out and set it aside. The top hat nut will be supplied and that is the only thing really that you would need to "carry over" from the OEM to Ohlins/Millway if the new setup didn't included hardware which it does.

Also, noticed that you have a 2020 M2C, I ripped my suspension out at 181 miles and didn't buy anything from the list in that link above. No issues or noises.
      11-09-2020, 06:50 PM   #6
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpxchewy View Post
Thanks everyone! I was actually struggling to find the installation manual because apparently Ohlins updated the model number from MR40 to MR41 and there wasn't an installation manual for MR41. The MR40 does show that the fronts don't reuse anything (besides replacing the TTY bolts)
You need to swap the oem top mount bearing assembly into the Millway camber plates, so to fully assemble beforehand you'll have to buy a 2nd pair of oem top mounts.

I'm installing my Millway street plates next week, I've already installed my Ohlins R&T twice (2nd time after getting the bushings replaced under warranty). There is a youtube video showing how to remove the oem top mount bearing, looks very simple, so unless you want new bearings I would save the $ and do the swap after removing the stock units (I don't think you can buy the bearings alone, you have to buy complete top mounts).

The strut knuckle pinch bolts are supposedly single use, more important than replacing them is reinstalling them correctly, the bolt head must face 'direction of travel' (ie forward). If reversed after a couple or more weeks you will get a clicking sound from the strut when turning near full lock.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 03:51 PM   #7
Duke Silver
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpxchewy View Post

Weird that the ohlins website still show MR40 as the part number. I wonder if the new part number was the result of a revision to the dampers.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 05:17 PM   #8
cpxchewy
Monkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Weird that the ohlins website still show MR40 as the part number. I wonder if the new part number was the result of a revision to the dampers.
I believe so. Also I keep reading that previously the ohlins had a stiffer rear spring for the F8x (230 N/mm) and it's lowered to 190 N/mm so they had to revalve the damping. It used to be only for M2 that was lowered but it seems like across the product line they lowered it (Maybe they got too much complaints about firmness)

The installation book hasn't been updated was what I meant. There's only MR40 installation guides from Ohlins.
Appreciate 0