BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Interior LCI gauge lighting

04-22-2018, 09:29 PM   #1
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Interior LCI gauge lighting

Is there any way to adjust the brightness "dimmed level" of the gauge cluster & iDrive screen when the car thinks you're in a tunnel? I got my windows tinted and if the sun is not shining directly in front of the car the car will think its a dark day and dim the electronic displays which makes them hard to read when it's still a bright and sunny day outside.

I have the LCI M2 with the electronic dash if that makes a difference

Last edited by nioh_lbbm2; 04-22-2018 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 12:40 AM   #2
Spartan King
MOLON LABE
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Is there any way to adjust the brightness "dimmed level" of the gauge cluster & iDrive screen when the car thinks you're in a tunnel? I got my windows tinted and if the sun is not shining directly in front of the car the car will think its a dark day and dim the electronic displays which makes them hard to read when it's still a bright and sunny day outside.

I have the LCI M2 with the electronic dash if that makes a difference
I have the same issue and from all my research on the forum I don’t think there is a fix for this. It drives me nuts!!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 09:55 AM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
There is a wheel to the right off the light switch that lets you adjust the brightness of the instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 09:41 PM   #4
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
There is a wheel to the right off the light switch that lets you adjust the brightness of the instrument cluster.
Unfortunately this is only for when the headlights are turned on and has no effect during the daytime with headlights off
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 09:51 PM   #5
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan King View Post
I have the same issue and from all my research on the forum I don’t think there is a fix for this. It drives me nuts!!
I wonder if it could be coded to where the auto dim during daytime is disabled but no one seems to know what that exact code is
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 09:05 AM   #6
chip_dip19
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Quote:
I have the same issue and from all my research on the forum I don't think there is a fix for this. It drives me nuts!!
I wonder if it could be coded to where the auto dim during daytime is disabled but no one seems to know what that exact code is
There's an option to code the auto dim in BimmerCode but I haven't tried it
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #7
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip_dip19 View Post
There's an option to code the auto dim in BimmerCode but I haven't tried it
could you point me to where it is? Would love to try it
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #8
NashvilleM2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 Comp.

I am interested in a fix for this as well! Ever since I got my windows tinted the sun has to hit the front window directly for my gauge lights to be bright.

Why not just make them dim whenever the headlights are on? This would make more sense...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 08:17 PM   #9
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

anyone have any info? I've got an appointment tomorrow with my BMW SA to see if they have anything to say about it. Find it odd that we can't disable auto-brightness. Even cell phones have this option.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #10
Spartan King
MOLON LABE
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
anyone have any info? I've got an appointment tomorrow with my BMW SA to see if they have anything to say about it. Find it odd that we can't disable auto-brightness. Even cell phones have this option.
Please let us know what you find out. This is my biggest annoyance with this car.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #11
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Please let us know what you find out. This is my biggest annoyance with this car.
Well, unsurprisingly the SA had no idea if anything can be done got remedy this and disable auto dimming. He has also never heard anyone else complain about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #12
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

While playing with the demo version of Bimmercode I found this code that can be modified. Anyone able to try this code and report back?

This is under instrument cluster, 3007 KI_DIMMUNG. Tons of other dimming options there but I've never done coding before and have no knowledge on this
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 09:11 PM   #13
mercury26
Lord of the Rings
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 Audi SQ5,05 BMW 330i ZHP

Garage List
I am resurrecting this old thread as I am having the same issue. Does the coding work? Or other suggestions (such as changing tint level on front side windows, etc)? I am about to get my tint removed if I can't get this resolved.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 12:36 PM   #14
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury26 View Post
I am resurrecting this old thread as I am having the same issue. Does the coding work? Or other suggestions (such as changing tint level on front side windows, etc)? I am about to get my tint removed if I can't get this resolved.
Poochie is usually really good with this sort of stuff, maybe he can help.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
      10-31-2020, 12:41 PM   #15
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I've never found any leads to try. I just live with it to this day
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 01:04 PM   #16
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury26 View Post
Poochie is usually really good with this sort of stuff, maybe he can help.

Hey 🤚🏻

I guess he's too proud to ask...

Anyways, he can try to code a lower the light sensitivity of the auto dimming mirrors, which can have a direct effect on the overall dimming of the instrument cluster.

FEM>

CODDT_[COLOR="DarkRed"]00[/COLOR]_SCAL_DIM_ECR_LIN (left mirror): Under "Custom Value" the range is from "20" being the least dimmed and "39" being the darkest.

and CODDT_[COLOR="DarkRed"]01[/COLOR]_SCAL_DIM_ECR_LIN (right mirror):
Under "Custom Value" the range from "20" being the least dimmed and "39" being the darkest.

ISP_HECKSCHEIBE (Rear View Mirror): "Hell" is bright and "Dunkel" is dark.

Or, he can just go old school and put a piece of black tape over the light sensor(s), which is located on the HVAC controls, front and rear of the Rearview Mirror.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910910.50
      10-31-2020, 02:02 PM   #17
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Hey 🤚🏻

Anyways, he can try to code a lower the light sensitivity of the auto dimming mirrors, which can have a direct effect on the overall dimming of the instrument cluster.

FEM>

CODDT_00_SCAL_DIM_ECR_LIN (left mirror): Under "Custom Value" the range is from "20" being the least dimmed and "39" being the darkest.

and CODDT_01_SCAL_DIM_ECR_LIN (right mirror):
Under "Custom Value" the range from "20" being the least dimmed and "39" being the darkest.

Or, he can just go old school and put a piece of black tape over the light sensor(s), which is located on the HVAC controls, front and rear of the Rearview Mirror.
Thanks Poochie. I might give this a try and see if it helps
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      10-31-2020, 02:26 PM   #18
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Hey 🤚🏻

FEM>

CODDT_[COLOR="DarkRed"]00[/COLOR]_SCAL_DIM_ECR_LIN (left mirror): Under "Custom Value" the range is from "20" being the least dimmed and "39" being the darkest.

and CODDT_[COLOR="DarkRed"]01[/COLOR]_SCAL_DIM_ECR_LIN (right mirror):

Thanks Poochie. I might give this a try and see if it helps

No problem and I hope it works out for you because according to BMW NA, there is no 'official' fix for this issue, in vehicles with aftermarket tints.

However, the coding parameters I supplied above is what BMW adjusts, when "S420A - Sun Protection Glass " (rear factory tints) is optioned on the M2 (Outside of North America).

Also, below is an illustration of where the interior light sensor are located in the cabin, incase you want to try my ghetto suggestion to trick the sensors.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910910.50
      11-01-2020, 05:05 PM   #19
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Ah I wondered why sometimes the brightness is right Nd other times not and it's to do if my headlights are on?

Guess a 2016 BMW can't match my old 2010 VW that had perfect lighting balance in the cluster, that and badass needlesweep!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 09:27 PM   #20
mercury26
Lord of the Rings
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 Audi SQ5,05 BMW 330i ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Hey 🤚🏻

Never too proud to ask. So much I do not know and always willing to listen. Appreciate the info, I will give it a shot and see if it resolves my issue. Much appreciated!
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      12-18-2023, 07:20 PM   #21
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Resurrecting this ancient thread. Did anyone ever actually try this, and if so what were the results? I reached out to Bimmercode the other day asking if there was a way to fix this issue and their response was to point me to this thread. I'm talking about the LCI/Comp cluster with its backlighting that is absolutely required to see anything on the gauges. Thanks