BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2C - problems fitting brake pads

11-10-2020, 02:40 PM   #1
chiefsubjugator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT LBB

M2C - problems fitting brake pads

Got a set of Pagid RSL29's for my front brakes. The procedure went really well until I had to set the new pads in the caliper. For whatever reason I've had a hell of a time pushing the new pads back enough to get the pin through - the fit is super tight.

Has anyone else had this problem? I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's just a tight fit that needs lots of gorilla'ing. I've done lots of brake pad changes before but have never had an issue like this (first time on my M2C though).

Also, are you all putting any grease on the calipers / back of the pads? Directions for 2NH say not to grease them.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #2
Vulpe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
Oh yeah I had a hell of a time putting the front pads back in. Massive heavy calipers to hold up, trying not to smack them on anything. Trying to push the pads against the anti-rattle things to get the pins in.

Ugh. And no, I read as well not to put any grease so I didn't.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2020, 02:58 PM   #3
chiefsubjugator
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulpe View Post
Oh yeah I had a hell of a time putting the front pads back in. Massive heavy calipers to hold up, trying not to smack them on anything. Trying to push the pads against the anti-rattle things to get the pins in.

Ugh. And no, I read as well not to put any grease so I didn't.
Glad it isn't just me. I went at it again last night and got them in. What a pain in the ass though. The OG M2 was so nice, you'd just drive the pins out, drop in the new pads and push the pins back in. I've never had to take the whole caliper off to change pads. Really sucks they did the 180 with these brakes
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 03:07 PM   #4
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

I've changed the brake pads twice already. You need a flat screwdriver to pry the spring clip out, and you are able to push the brake pad in further this way. If the pad fitment is too tight, use a mallet to smash the pad in..

I did put grease without backplate. Haven't notice any issue though
Attached Images

11-11-2020, 05:28 PM   #5
chiefsubjugator
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
I've changed the brake pads twice already. You need a flat screwdriver to pry the spring clip out, and you are able to push the brake pad in further this way. If the pad fitment is too tight, use a mallet to smash the pad in..

Huh, I did not take the spring out, because the service manual didn't tell me to. I'll try that next time - are you able to fit the spring back after the pads are in and the pins are through?

Mallet also sounds good, I almost grabbed mine but since the car is so new and I haven't done the brakes I was trying to be 'gentle'.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 05:56 PM   #6
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsubjugator View Post
Quote:

Huh, I did not take the spring out, because the service manual didn't tell me to. I'll try that next time - are you able to fit the spring back after the pads are in and the pins are through?

Mallet also sounds good, I almost grabbed mine but since the car is so new and I haven't done the brakes I was trying to be 'gentle'.
You don't take it out. It's a spring loaded clip to hold the pad in place. When you pry it outwards, you basically release some of the tension to the pads, and then you are able to push the pad further with ease. Just play with that small clip with a flathead and you'll know what I mean.

Mallet was my last resort because I was frustrated. Don't use it bc the caliper is painted and it's easy to get paint chip on that(don't ask me how I know lol)
      11-11-2020, 06:02 PM   #7
chiefsubjugator
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You don't take it out. It's a spring loaded clip to hold the pad in place. When you pry it outwards, you basically release some of the tension to the pads, and then you are able to push the pad further with ease. Just play with that small clip with a flathead and you'll know what I mean.

Mallet was my last resort because I was frustrated. Don't use it bc the caliper is painted and it's easy to get paint chip on that(don't ask me how I know lol)
Haha, I'll stay away from the mallet, thanks for the warning. I see what you mean by playing with the clip now. I have to put my old pads back in soon, I'll give that technique a shot then, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 06:34 PM   #8
rigger135
Rep
Drives: m135i lci

Quote:

Quote:

A bit of topic-
Can you share part numbers of the pagid 29 set for these calipers

Tnx
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 07:17 PM   #9
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger135 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

A bit of topic-

Tnx
I'm using the ferodo pads from HP Autosport. Hit Harold an email and he'll be happy to assist you
      11-28-2020, 11:37 PM   #10
chiefsubjugator
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger135 View Post
A bit of topic-

Tnx
4934RS29, according to the site I bought my pads from.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 07:17 AM   #11
sprintamx
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Take a small flathead screwdriver or pry bar and pry up on one of the pin tabs on the inside pad. Or, if your finger strength is good, push up very hard on the bottom of the pad. I use a screwdriver. Once you get a pin set in a tab, the other three tabs are easier to move into place. No need to remove the top tension spring.

2NH front caliper is a tricky bugger for setting the pins.
Appreciate 0