BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Driving modes (Comfort, Sport, Sport+, MDM & DSC OFF)

05-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Driving modes (Comfort, Sport, Sport+, MDM & DSC OFF)

Was sick of getting a headache and not fully understanding the original table. Decided to reorganize and make it more intelligible which really helped me understand the different modes better. If you believe something is not accurate please let me know and I’ll correct it. Also attached a .pdf of the table in case anyone would like a copy
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Driving Modes (Revision 02).pdf (328.2 KB, 4322 views)

Last edited by Tag; 10-03-2017 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 31
pissclams277.50
Aloha Joe391.00
doug_9992538.50
BruceM983.00
McGary911467.00
Fab_R192.00
termigni1080.00
njw58.00
geogerf115.50
Wharf Rat186.00
rich8566608.50
///Cardia299.50
qnet676.00
seis-speed2426.00
Yiruna393.50
akkando5860.00
M2_AL49.50
AndrewC198910903.50
atc556.50
Kikuchiyo111.00
gsm2x372.00
Smiler1.50
      05-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

i have a few questions...

in dry and warm weather i usually drive in sport+

by default, MDM is enabled in sport+, correct?

if i press and hold dsc, i turn off all nannies, correct?

what happens if i just do a quick press of dsc (while in Sport+)? does it go to MDM on, but everything else comfort at specified?
      05-17-2017, 09:12 PM   #3
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Tag, I added your table to the dedicated thread (with reference to you): http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...7#post19089487 ("DSC settings on the M2: what the Manual, Press Kit and Technical Training say").
      05-17-2017, 09:16 PM   #4
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Still isn't straight forward.
Appreciate 6
      05-17-2017, 09:38 PM   #5
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
There are five columns, with the first three being Comfort, Sport and Sport+. So if you look at the Sport+ column you will see from top to bottom how steering, traction, engine speed etc. are affected when in that mode.

The last two columns just show what's affected when you disable DSC partially or fully.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 10:19 PM   #6
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 Pure F20 125i MSport 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
It is if you have played around in iDrive settings and the traction mode buttons for a recent 1/2 Series or the M2.

There are 2 control buttons:
- a rocker switch for selecting drive mode (Comfort, Sport, Sport +)
- a traction control button DSC which allows you to switch from M Dynamic Mode (MDM) or turn it off fully (press and hold). In MDM or DSC Off mode, pressing the DSC button turns back DSC.

In iDrive, you can configure EACH mode (Comfort, Sport, Sport+) so the changes are for "Drivetrain and Chassis" or Drivetrain or Chassis only.

This table tells you what is changed for steering, accelerator, traction etc depending on which Drive mode you select (and how choosing Chassis/Drivetrain or both in iDrive) affects them.

This in no way negates the use of an M1/M2 button completely - like those found in the "real" M cars like M3/M4 but it sure gives you a bit more options to find the right sweet spot for you.
Appreciate 2
Smiler1.50
Kikuchiyo111.00
      05-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #7
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Thanks, this helps somewhat. The only thing that still confuses me is when you tap the DSC button only and the dash light shows DSC OFF. This isn't really the case as DSC is only fully off when you hold down the button, no?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #8
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
Thanks, this helps somewhat. The only thing that still confuses me is when you tap the DSC button only and the dash light shows DSC OFF. This isn't really the case as DSC is only fully off when you hold down the button, no?
Correct, DSC is only fully off if you hold it down. Tap it once and you get that traction mode which has limited intervention still. The sucky thing about that mode is the throttle feels sluggish.
Appreciate 2
M2Nebula547.50
hoyasaxa686.50
      05-18-2017, 11:30 AM   #9
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
It's function is outlined in the table under the DSC/DTC columns on the right; DSC Short press = MDM, DSC Long press (approx ~10s) = DSC COMPLETELY OFF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Correct, DSC is only fully off if you hold it down. Tap it once and you get that traction mode which has limited intervention still. The sucky thing about that mode is the throttle feels sluggish.
If you reference the table you'll see the reason it feels sluggish when in MDM is because everything else gets set to Comfort.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 12:32 PM   #10
M2Dynamic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Quote:
It's function is outlined in the table under the DSC/DTC columns on the right; DSC Short press = MDM, DSC Long press (approx ~10s) = DSC COMPLETELY OFF.

Quote:
If you reference the table you'll see the reason it feels sluggish when in MDM is because everything else gets set to Comfort.
Which honestly makes no sense to me. I get it and it's pretty straight forward but isn't it kind of ass backwards to have MDM mode with everything else automatically being set to comfort? I know you're just outlining what's correct but I never understood why everything was set to comfort in MDM mode. Kind of backwards to me. Maybe someone has a good reason for it
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 01:48 PM   #11
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Dynamic View Post
Which honestly makes no sense to me. I get it and it's pretty straight forward but isn't it kind of ass backwards to have MDM mode with everything else automatically being set to comfort? I know you're just outlining what's correct but I never understood why everything was set to comfort in MDM mode. Kind of backwards to me. Maybe someone has a good reason for it
There was an older youtube video of a review just on the m2 forum recently and it showed a red BMW (M3 I think), where the reviewer compared normal off the line acceleration and MDM mode off the line acceleration. It seemed like he made MDM out to be a performance mode.

But from our M2 manuals, MDM is explained:

M Dynamic Mode MDM
The concept
M Dynamic Mode makes it possible to drive on
a dry roadway with high longitudinal and transverse
acceleration but with limited driving stability.
Only in the absolute limit area does the system
intervene for stabilization by reducing the engine
power and by braking interventions on the
wheels. In this driving condition, additional
steering corrections may be necessary.

You may find it useful to briefly activate MDM under the following special circumstances:

- When driving in slush or on uncleared, snow-covered roads.
- When freeing vehicle from deep snow or driving off from loose grounds.
- When driving with snow chains.

So MDM I guess is considered 'Traction' mode really....
Appreciate 3
      05-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #12
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshot_rooke View Post
So MDM I guess is considered 'Traction' mode really....
MDM is basically Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) which is a subset of DSC. So when you disable Dynamic Stability Control you still retain Dynamic Traction Control. This actually allows the wheels to slip more before any nannies intervene. This helps when driving in snow as your wheels tend to slip quite a bit. Otherwise it's hard to drive, because the nannies would intervene every time a slip was detected making it difficult to maintain any momentum.

This is also why Sport+ uses MDM, it allows for more wheel spin without the nannies intervening. I'm sure you've run into this before, if full DSC is on and you go WOT you'll feel the car back off on power and even apply braking, because it senses slipping. Obviously not what you want for sporty driving.
Appreciate 10
M2Nebula547.50
M2Dynamic183.50
akkando5860.00
M2guru374.50
Bosozoku693.50
///M TOWN13117.00
      05-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #13
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Very well said, you should have written the manual !
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #14
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
MDM is basically Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) which is a subset of DSC. So when you disable Dynamic Stability Control you still retain Dynamic Traction Control. This actually allows the wheels to slip more before any nannies intervene. This helps when driving in snow as your wheels tend to slip quite a bit. Otherwise it's hard to drive, because the nannies would intervene every time a slip was detected making it difficult to maintain any momentum.

This is also why Sport+ uses MDM, it allows for more wheel spin without the nannies intervening. I'm sure you've run into this before, if full DSC is on and you go WOT you'll feel the car back off on power and even apply braking, because it senses slipping. Obviously not what you want for sporty driving.
Ah interesting, I have felt that on WOT.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 10:02 PM   #15
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieHowser View Post
In iDrive, you can configure EACH mode (Comfort, Sport, Sport+) so the changes are for "Drivetrain and Chassis" or Drivetrain or Chassis only.
You can configure Sport mode only AFAIK.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2017, 10:26 PM   #16
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 Pure F20 125i MSport 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusT View Post
You can configure Sport mode only AFAIK.
Yeah my bad - I was incorrectly remembering the Golf 7 :P
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 12:43 AM   #17
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
People should really consider short-pressing the ESC button as a "snow traction" function rather than anything performance-related. That's effectively what the manual calls it as well.

If you're trying to have fun, you want Sport+ mode, which "presses the ESC button for you" but also puts everything else into sport mode. AFAIK, Sport+ is effectively the same as putting everything into Sport and then pressing ESC yourself, except the throttle gets even touchier and the "load reversal damping" (which I suspect might only be applicable to DCT?) is in a harsher mode.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 1
Bosozoku693.50
      05-20-2017, 12:59 AM   #18
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

Quote:
The car isn't any slower with the comfort throttle you know. It just means that you have more room for error when driving without "nannies". No nannies and super sensitive throttle response isn't exactly ideal.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 02:27 AM   #19
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

I’m not stupid (PhD, actually) but I’m a Luddite which is why I always drive my M2 in Sport + with those extra button things pushed to turn off all the “nannies”. I like to do my own rev-matching / and double-clutch when down-shifting and I don’t want a computer doing it for me. That said, I’m doing my first HPDE in a few weeks at Lime Rock and would like to know, (without a bunch of tech talk and acronyms please), which drive mode should I be using for the track and (if OK in Sport + which I’m used to) is it really going to be dangerous to turn off all the “nannies” my first time on track with this car? I have done track time before (40 years ago I had my SCCA competition license and raced a Renault Gordini), just not with this car.

Advice please?
      05-20-2017, 04:00 AM   #20
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
TBH, I would start in Sport (no +). That way the nannies are still active in case you do something hairbrained. Also keeps the rev-match enabled, so you can focus more on proper braking pressures instead of having to worry about getting the rev-match right yourself.

After half a session or a full session, try again in Sport+. Should let you hang the tail out more. From there, turn DSC fully off if you like to live dangerously.

That's just my $0.25 as someone who wouldn't want to crumple a shiny new M2, but do whatever you want.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 2
      05-20-2017, 07:19 AM   #21
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
TBH, I would start in Sport (no +). That way the nannies are still active in case you do something hairbrained. Also keeps the rev-match enabled, so you can focus more on proper braking pressures instead of having to worry about getting the rev-match right yourself.

After half a session or a full session, try again in Sport+. Should let you hang the tail out more. From there, turn DSC fully off if you like to live dangerously.

That's just my $0.25 as someone who wouldn't want to crumple a shiny new M2, but do whatever you want.
Great. That sounds sensible and I don't want to crumple my shiny new M2 either. So, in Sport+ it WILL allow me to hang the tail out a little without getting too bent out of shape?

Thanks again.
      05-20-2017, 07:57 AM   #22
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

I found the Drivelogic Mode interesting.

My E46 M3 has a button for this (more levels). I guess it exists in the M2 but not controlled by a button, but by different combinations of the settings described elsewhere in the chart?

Thanks OP for this, and for thinking to make a download.
Appreciate 0