02-27-2021, 12:59 PM   #23
jdubm2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmmmM2 View Post
So my steering wheel is not quite centered when driving straight. I mean it is off ever so slightly that I may do nothing about it. The car tracks straight and I don't think it needs an alignment.

I'll try and take a picture of it while driving but that could be difficult to do. If I do decide to get it fixed, it will be under warranty, but should I? It's such a small issue that I don't want to have a BMW tech make it worse.

Any input is appreciated.

(and yes I did do a search on this but it only turned up one thread that was not very helpful)
Could this be a slight error while mounting the steering wheel at the factory? Maybe they attached the steering wheel correctly, but the wheels weren't perfectly straight? Or they just clocked the wheel one spline to the right when mounting and did not notice? If all is in alignment can the dealer pull the wheel and remount it? Folks swap out their steering wheels all the time, so there must be detailed mounting instructions to ensure that the wheel is dead center. I do not know how these mount, but enough folks have upgraded their steering wheel to know.
This would drive me nuts, so I wish you luck getting it settled.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 10:57 PM   #24
EtotheD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubm2c View Post
Could this be a slight error while mounting the steering wheel at the factory? Maybe they attached the steering wheel correctly, but the wheels weren't perfectly straight? Or they just clocked the wheel one spline to the right when mounting and did not notice? If all is in alignment can the dealer pull the wheel and remount it? Folks swap out their steering wheels all the time, so there must be detailed mounting instructions to ensure that the wheel is dead center. I do not know how these mount, but enough folks have upgraded their steering wheel to know.
This would drive me nuts, so I wish you luck getting it settled.
The steering wheel is keyed to only go in one way. It has a flat part on the bottom of the spline circle that mates with another one.
Appreciate 1
jdubm2c170.00
      02-28-2021, 10:37 PM   #25
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
The car tracks straight...But I think I'll get an alignment just to err on the side of caution...

And no, I didn't bring it up at the time of delivery because I'm obviously a big moron who didn't care at the time and just wanted the car. Joke is on me I guess.

Suggestions for reputable shops in the inland empire of Southern California?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 10:44 PM   #26
kyrocks
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Touring

Quote:
The car tracks straight...But I think I'll get an alignment just to err on the side of caution...

And no, I didn't bring it up at the time of delivery because I'm obviously a big moron who didn't care at the time and just wanted the car. Joke is on me I guess.

Suggestions for reputable shops in the inland empire of Southern California?
I had the EXACT SAME situation with my CS. It was a tad off...but more noticeable due to the CS red center stripe.

I told the dealer when I drove the car home. I had an alignment done for free at the 1200 mile service and it fixed the issue. The alignment was off. It is not unusual for new cars to be off on alignment after transport.

I would just tell your dealer it's been like that since delivery and they will take care of it.
Appreciate 1
MmmmmM22598.00
      03-01-2021, 07:38 AM   #27
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

First, I'd definitely mention it to the dealer and have them check the alignment for free.
Often times, the mechanic fails to straighten the steering wheel when putting them on the machine, and as a result, the steering is slightly off-center.

If the adjusted readings are all good, you can adjust the tie rod both sides the same amount and straighten the steering wheel without messing up the alignment.
It'll require some trial & error, but it can be done. Just make sure to mark the adjustment bolts' position prior to adjusting.
Appreciate 1
MmmmmM22598.00
      03-01-2021, 11:05 AM   #28
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Thanks everyone! I'll get it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 08:27 PM   #29
tmick5jr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Check your tire pressures. Uneven tire pressure will make it pull ever so slightly. It's been the case in sooo many of my cars. A slight pressure adjustment will straighten that out no problem. I did the same in my m2. You definitely don't need an alignment. It seems like when your wheel is straight it's pulling to the left. If so then raise the tire pressure in your front left wheel and lower the pressure in your right front. Fixed.
Appreciate 1
MmmmmM22598.00
      03-07-2021, 11:59 PM   #30
Up4speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 Ferrari 458  [0.00]
2015 Golf GTI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmick5jr View Post
Check your tire pressures. Uneven tire pressure will make it pull ever so slightly. It's been the case in sooo many of my cars. A slight pressure adjustment will straighten that out no problem. I did the same in my m2. You definitely don't need an alignment. It seems like when your wheel is straight it's pulling to the left. If so then raise the tire pressure in your front left wheel and lower the pressure in your right front. Fixed.
If the tire pressure was off, wouldn't it pull to one side? Then when the operator corrects for the puling, the wheel would be off center.

In the OP's situation, it sounds like the car tracks perfectly without correction, so it seems to me that the wheel was not held perfectly centered when the alignment was performed at the factory.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 03:04 PM   #31
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Sometimes you can have a wheel alignment done and still have an off centre wheel. You can correct it yourself, by slacking off the locknut on the wheel track rod ends and moving both adjusters in the same direction. Be accurate with the clocking, it usually only takes the smallest of adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 12:03 PM   #32
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
To OP, my first M2 came from the factory dead straight but my second one had the exact same misalignment on the steering wheel as yours (car still tracked dead straight). Unfortunately my dealer did 2 alignments and could only correct it 75% of the way so not sure what's going on... If you find a fix please update us!
      03-10-2021, 12:43 PM   #33
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I've decided to not even worry about it anymore. Considering the car drives great and handles great, I'd much rather live with a little steering wheel offset that make it worse.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 07:25 PM   #34
tmick5jr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
I've decided to not even worry about it anymore. Considering the car drives great and handles great, I'd much rather live with a little steering wheel offset that make it worse.
Just adjust your tire pressures. It will fix it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 09:57 AM   #35
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmick5jr View Post
Just adjust your tire pressures. It will fix it.
Playing around with tire pressures won't do any good when the steering wheel is off center with all tires correctly inflated @ 35PSI.

Both LF & RF toe needs to be adjusted ever so slightly to make the steering wheel center.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 10:01 AM   #36
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamdar View Post
To OP, my first M2 came from the factory dead straight but my second one had the exact same misalignment on the steering wheel as yours (car still tracked dead straight). Unfortunately my dealer did 2 alignments and could only correct it 75% of the way so not sure what's going on... If you find a fix please update us!
Mine was perfectly center from the factory, but it got crooked when I had an alignment done at a local dealership.
Since then, I went back 2 times to have it corrected, but each time it was either off-center to the left or right. Going back and forth. Ugh.

So I jacked up the car and decided to adjust the toe myself.
If the alignment reading is perfectly within spec or to your liking, all you need to do is adjust the toe adjustment/tie rod both wheels TO THE SAME DIRECTION.
All it takes is maybe 10-15° of adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 10:02 AM   #37
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

After we did my suspension install, my wheel was cocked to the left a bit. It took some tweaking and a few test drives to cure it. Pain in the ass. But I have the wheel with the blue stripe at the top so it's both more obvious, and easier to tell when it's right
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 11:02 AM   #38
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
Mine was perfectly center from the factory, but it got crooked when I had an alignment done at a local dealership.
Since then, I went back 2 times to have it corrected, but each time it was either off-center to the left or right. Going back and forth. Ugh.

So I jacked up the car and decided to adjust the toe myself.
If the alignment reading is perfectly within spec or to your liking, all you need to do is adjust the toe adjustment/tie rod both wheels TO THE SAME DIRECTION.
All it takes is maybe 10-15° of adjustment.
Since I've never done it before myself, I'm just gonna yell at the dealer next time I go lol
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 11:48 AM   #39
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I really, really, don't want the dealer to make it worse if I say something.
Appreciate 0