BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Gym Talk! Daily gym related talk

11-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #1519
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Well this six! On a roadtrip with the wifey for a few days and the hotel we're at doesn't even have a workout room. Well I ended up just doing simple workouts in the room instead
Pushups both hitting chest and tris. Couldn't find anything to hit biceps. Thought I could curl the sitting chair but I looked stupid watching myself in the dressing mirror lol! I was able to do some tricep dips using the desk as I was able to get the end table to put my feet on. Than realized after working out for an hour I don't have a protein shake to drink and I can't buy food until the wifey gets back with the rental
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      11-19-2019, 08:32 AM   #1520
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Well this six! On a roadtrip with the wifey for a few days and the hotel we're at doesn't even have a workout room. Well I ended up just doing simple workouts in the room instead
Pushups both hitting chest and tris. Couldn't find anything to hit biceps. Thought I could curl the sitting chair but I looked stupid watching myself in the dressing mirror lol! I was able to do some tricep dips using the desk as I was able to get the end table to put my feet on. Than realized after working out for an hour I don't have a protein shake to drink and I can't buy food until the wifey gets back with the rental
This visual I have in my head of this is hilarious lmao. Do some yoga, seriously that shit is tough. I'm usually sweating pretty good after it. Don't need equipment, just holding different positions. Usually feels pretty good afterwards!
Appreciate 4
UncleWede17874.00
Rmtt8206.00
King Rudi13152.00
      11-19-2019, 12:29 PM   #1521
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
LOL....and here you guys were making fun of me finding things to do while on vacation.

Here's a tip I use when I'm traveling for work....I take resistance bands with me. Better than nothing and you can get some really good pumps in your upper body using them. Some of the thicker bands can be really resistant and feel like some serious weight.

You can attach them to things and do cross-overs for chest, extensions for triceps, or just step through one end of them to do curls, side laterals, etc.
      11-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #1522
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Couldn't find anything to hit biceps.
Haven't you watched ANY jail movies??? Inclined or knees bent on heels, grab something higher up, contract biceps. . . . Shower curtain, wall lamp, railing on balcony, cell mate's top bunk.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2019, 06:55 PM   #1523
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Haven't you watched ANY jail movies??? Inclined or knees bent on heels, grab something higher up, contract biceps. . . . Shower curtain, wall lamp, railing on balcony, cell mate's top bunk.
"The longest Yard" with Adam Sandler, "American Me" I guess I would have to check again lol
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:39 AM   #1524
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

I feel like I have chronic chest tightness. I swear it takes me a half hour of my chest day to finally get everything stretched out. Hell I'll go golfing and get chest spasms/cramps from where my arms need to be, feel like I can crush a walnut between these bitches lmao. Regardless it was a solid chest day. Yesterday was legs, kept it a little light in there. My new found love for leg days are sissy squats, I get a crazy pump if I super set them with squats or leg press. Big fan, gyms in the past never had one of them, but I recommend it for a wild calf pump!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 07:24 AM   #1525
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Appreciate your advice man! It's funny that I've scoured the internet, watched hours of youtube videos, listened to do this and don't that, then don't do that, do this; take these suppliments, don't take those supplements, take these supplements to the point where I can see how and why people give up. But I have learned more here, aside from paying attention to how my body responds to the various stimuli I have subjected it to. You and Rmtt have been a huge help!

Although I'm still keeping careful track of every calorie that I eat, I've shifted my focus off dropping body fat percentage to just grinding at the gym. I started a new method this week, that I'm really enjoying. 4 sets of ten on each group that I work that day. The next time I work that group 4 sets of 11, next time 4 sets of 12, then increase weight and start back at 4 of ten....and so on and so forth. I've got to get my progressive overload going. This is going to be my focus for the next couple of months with slowly increasing calories. Come February or March I'll cut for a few weeks and hopefully the results will be somewhere close to what I want. Then I'll reformulate the game plan and start again. Pumped about the next few months.
Moving this over here since we got away from the IM fasting topic. I don't dislike the method you've been using in the gym, but I would say that it isn't the route I'd take. I've never got the best results from lower amount of reps, so my count has always been around 8-12 when I'm working. My first set of each exercise is warm up, stretching out around 15-20 reps just low and slow with light weight. The following three sets of mine are working sets.

For instance if I'm doing DB shoulder press. First set will be w/ the 50s around 15 reps again low and stretching. Next set will be 65s for around 12 reps, 3rd will be 75s for around 10 reps, finish with 80s shooting for 8 reps. During the three working sets I'm pushing myself to fatigue. I think this is the crucial part of it. I don't like having a set count in my head, I push until I can't anymore. So if I'm shooting for 8 reps, get 8 and feel like I can do more then I'm for damn sure pushing for more. In my eyes muscular pain is what keeps you growing, don't get my wrong I'm not talking about tearing shit, but there's good and bad pain.

What I'm getting at with this is that if you're doing your 4 sets of 10 methodology you should be pushing to hit that 10th rep. If you got that 10th rep with ease, increase the weight and keep doing so until that final rep is a struggle!
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
Rmtt8206.00
      11-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #1526
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Moving this over here since we got away from the IM fasting topic. I don't dislike the method you've been using in the gym, but I would say that it isn't the route I'd take. I've never got the best results from lower amount of reps, so my count has always been around 8-12 when I'm working. My first set of each exercise is warm up, stretching out around 15-20 reps just low and slow with light weight. The following three sets of mine are working sets.

For instance if I'm doing DB shoulder press. First set will be w/ the 50s around 15 reps again low and stretching. Next set will be 65s for around 12 reps, 3rd will be 75s for around 10 reps, finish with 80s shooting for 8 reps. During the three working sets I'm pushing myself to fatigue. I think this is the crucial part of it. I don't like having a set count in my head, I push until I can't anymore. So if I'm shooting for 8 reps, get 8 and feel like I can do more then I'm for damn sure pushing for more. In my eyes muscular pain is what keeps you growing, don't get my wrong I'm not talking about tearing shit, but there's good and bad pain.

What I'm getting at with this is that if you're doing your 4 sets of 10 methodology you should be pushing to hit that 10th rep. If you got that 10th rep with ease, increase the weight and keep doing so until that final rep is a struggle!

+1. Always be aiming for positive failure with good form. Everyone is different. I have body parts that grow best from low reps (back), but then others (legs) that grow best from high reps.

But it' still just a number. Wherever it lands, just make sure that it's all that you got. Like JP10 mentioned.....don't lock yourself into a certain number of sets. Look at most of the first ones as warm-ups and to establish that mind-muscle connection.

Then once you hit that last set and grind it....you are good. Move on to something else as there is no need to beat a dead horse.

Most people just don't have the intensity to hit that one set to absolute failure. It's not a knock on anyone....they just use multiple sets to fatigue the muscle to stimulate growth in an accumulative fashion.

Let's face it...training like that is a bitch. When you can...you do it. When you can't because of other circumstances such as a bad night or missing a meal...you make do with what you can and attack it in a different way.

God at my age...I don't train with nearly the intensity that I used to!
      11-20-2019, 04:07 PM   #1527
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
God at my age...I don't train with nearly the intensity that I used to!
#whippersnapper

I took a real look at the bottom of my biceps this morning in the mirror, and I'm not happy with what I see. This whole aging thing sucks, but the way the skin wrinkles from younger days when there was more stretch from the underlying muscles plain SUCKS! Even if I flex, the skin on the inside of the elbow bunches up
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 07:00 PM   #1528
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Killed shoulders!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #1529
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Had good leg day started with deads and pulled 475 havent been doing any deads lately
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      11-21-2019, 04:22 AM   #1530
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Had good leg day started with deads and pulled 475 havent been doing any deads lately
Nice. I bet it felt good to get back up in the higher weight range. 475lb is a damn good pull!
      11-21-2019, 04:23 AM   #1531
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
#whippersnapper

I took a real look at the bottom of my biceps this morning in the mirror, and I'm not happy with what I see. This whole aging thing sucks, but the way the skin wrinkles from younger days when there was more stretch from the underlying muscles plain SUCKS! Even if I flex, the skin on the inside of the elbow bunches up
LOL....you got to develop more of the peak of your biceps...that way it pulls the skin up with it when you flex!
      11-21-2019, 08:11 AM   #1532
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice. I bet it felt good to get back up in the higher weight range. 475lb is a damn good pull!
Thanks did feel alright, except for the part where a 198 guy pulled 585 with excessively long hold at top.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      11-21-2019, 08:22 AM   #1533
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks did feel alright, except for the part where a 198 guy pulled 585 with excessively long hold at top.
He's just being a show-off!
      11-21-2019, 08:30 AM   #1534
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He's just being a show-off!
I know right, hes continually getting ready for next meet. Pr for him is 610 and has time table to get much further. Also is over 400 bench. Making me look bad.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 11:06 AM   #1535
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know right, hes continually getting ready for next meet. Pr for him is 610 and has time table to get much further. Also is over 400 bench. Making me look bad.
That's really good. My first 405 bench was around that body-weight...but almost 15 years ago. And I never pulled or squatted more than 5 plates.

I think the most I ever benched was around 430lbs. But I was weighing close to 220lbs then too. Plus I never could hit all those PR's in the same training cycle. If I was focusing on one lift, usually another lift would suffer.
      11-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #1536
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Yeah then hitting them all at peak on single day is bigger challenge
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #1537
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah then hitting them all at peak on single day is bigger challenge
I think that's what makes me respect them most. If I was pushing squat or dead-lift in a training progression, one of the other lifts or even both of them would be 50lbs off I bet.

My training partner for some reason could progress across them all and peak pretty much when he wanted. But he is a genetic freak.

I still try to lift somewhat heavy, but more and more scared of injury as I get older. Legs I rarely go above 315 anymore and just focus on reps, but they grow easily and can get ahead of my upper body if I don't watch it.

I love pulling, so I work that as heavy as I can...especially rack-pulls. With bench, if I go above 315 for reps....it's like my sternum is sore for 2-3 days afterwards. Right before I dropped this bulking phase, I hit 365 for a triple. But my chest hurt for days afterwards..almost like the bone was bruised. Probably a cartilage or tendon issue.

Now I go to 315 for a single, then do drop sets.... one at 275 for as many reps as I can until failure, then 225.

I'm trying to focus more on upper chest these days.
      11-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #1538
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I usually am able to get up for all three at once but not at elite level just personal best stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 07:03 PM   #1539
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Arm workout! Didn't help since Wackoff Wednesday but I still managed to pull through
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 07:12 PM   #1540
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Arm workout! Didn't help since Wackoff Wednesday but I still managed to pull through
Do backhand for triceps we covered this
Appreciate 0