BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Is my bumper misaligned - strange looking thing at bottom of bumper

06-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #1
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Is my bumper misaligned - strange looking thing at bottom of bumper

Please see attached pictures. Circled and highlighted are pictures of right side, the other ones for left side under rear bumper.

On the right side of my M2's rear bumper, I see some extra piece of steel coming out. Not sure what it is but just want to check if you guys see the same in your M2? Is the bumper misaligned or is something loose that needs to be tightened?

Visually, the bumper does not look misaligned but when you look at the rear from 2-3 feet away you can see the piece of steel on the right.
Attached Images

2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 05:18 PM   #2
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Can anyone check their M2 and met me know.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Are you sure that's metal? Did you by any chance install rear reflector deletes? Pics are not high-res enough, but looks like the bottom plastic that bridges the rear bumper to the wheel well liner was not properly fastened.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 06:50 PM   #4
Pilot-Z
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Free splash guards
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Thanks, here are more pics and re-uploaded high resolution.

Yes actually it is plastic. I was wrong about steel.

Can I adjust or fix this myself?
Attached Images

2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 11:39 PM   #6
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

The plastic piece has fallen out of the rear diffuser, there is one either side and the sit over the tail pipes.

Looking at your pics you’ll note the curve of the black plastic piece is the same as the blue painted bumper. The piece fits there and clips into the diffuser.

You can undo the diffuser and try and click it in but I found, when I was installing the CF diffuser, it was an absolute pain in the bum to do it.

I left mine out.
Appreciate 3
Poochie9099.00
msdss497.50
hlm2c289.50
      06-15-2019, 12:52 AM   #7
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
The plastic piece has fallen out of the rear diffuser, there is one either side and the sit over the tail pipes.

Looking at your pics you’ll note the curve of the black plastic piece is the same as the blue painted bumper. The piece fits there and clips into the diffuser.

You can undo the diffuser and try and click it in but I found, when I was installing the CF diffuser, it was an absolute pain in the bum to do it.

I left mine out.
Thanks, this is very helpful. So it looks like I have to remove the diffuser to fix this? Yikes! I might as take care of this when I do my CF diffuser mod. I was hoping to be a simple fix but looks like it may be more involved.

Please help explain "the curve of the black plastic piece is the same as the blue painted bumper". Are you referring to the green highlighted area around the plastic piece/screws that is expected to sit above the bumper?

Are you aware of a DIY to fix this? Thanks again and appreciate your help!
Attached Images

2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 01:27 AM   #8
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
Thanks, this is very helpful. So it looks like I have to remove the diffuser to fix this? Yikes! I might as take care of this when I do my CF diffuser mod. I was hoping to be a simple fix but looks like it may be more involved.

Please help explain "the curve of the black plastic piece is the same as the blue painted bumper". Are you referring to the green highlighted area around the plastic piece/screws that is expected to sit above the bumper?

All good, happy to help.

In the red circled section see the left hand edge of the painter bumper. Now see the black plastic piece has the same curve. The black curve sits over the edge of the painted bumper.

Easiest way is to get under the car and have a look at the other side.

It’s not hard to fix, just a bit fiddly. Just undo the screw on the right hand side of the diffuser (near the wheel), take out the push pins and pull the diffuser out just enough so you can align the clips on the back of the black plastic piece.

Or just pull the black plastic piece out and put it somewhere safe.
Appreciate 1
msdss497.50
      06-15-2019, 01:48 AM   #9
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post

All good, happy to help.

In the red circled section see the left hand edge of the painter bumper. Now see the black plastic piece has the same curve. The black curve sits over the edge of the painted bumper.

Easiest way is to get under the car and have a look at the other side.

It’s not hard to fix, just a bit fiddly. Just undo the screw on the right hand side of the diffuser (near the wheel), take out the push pins and pull the diffuser out just enough so you can align the clips on the back of the black plastic piece.

Or just pull the black plastic piece out and put it somewhere safe.
Thanks, appreciate the help! I will give this a try.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #10
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

If it is indeed the rear diffuser abs plastic peice, you'll find that most individuals when installing any aftermarket diffuser have left them out... Not sure what purpose they serve, but they are a PITA to put back and I don't notice a difference without them.. plus free weight savings lol.
Appreciate 0