BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 Too Bumpy! Must Go!

11-24-2020, 10:08 PM   #45
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I'm a rookie as regards the F87, so please excuse my ignorance.

Someday I'll buy me one and will let you know.

Rookie my #$**

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 10:11 PM   #46
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

This is so very revealing! No wonder!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 02:55 AM   #47
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
As a previous M2 owner I can fully understand where the OP is coming from. After one year of ownership the daily commute in the M2 became unbearable for me - the ride quality was just too firm and uncomfortable for DD so i had to reluctantly part with it.

When I can afford to own second car specifically for weekend fun I plan to buy a OG M2 again; but for now the M340i does the DD and occasional spirited drive perfectly well for my needs.
Appreciate 1
doug_9992538.50
      11-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #48
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmango View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C_OZ View Post
Buys a M2 and complains car is bumpy 😂😂 . Unbelievable things you see in the forums nowadays smh
I watched a video of Chris Harris the other day testing an M2 competition & to quote "the M2 does not work as a daily driver... only on the track" which I agree with wholeheartedly. Many, many people are not happy with the ride on the M2. It is abnormally harsh! Categorizing it as a normal M-car just isn't the case! As others have mentioned (thanks for backing me up guys) it is abnormal! My guess is you haven't owned many vehicles.

Quote:
IMHO they carefully listened to you and then flavored the conversation with some 'confirmation bias'. Sales talk 101.
Sure - if they search the 250 M2's for sale atm LOL.

As mentioned in my OP I do drive down country lanes & motorways. They should've put adaptive suspension on the M2. I thank the more mature members for their comments.
It's like we've already forgotten the E9x...I loved how that car handled, and it was anything but soft and compliant. I don't think the M2 is that much stiffer, relatively speaking. It's not just an M car thing...there used to be a time when a lot of the BMW lineup had stiff suspensions. I never understood the complaints...that's what helped them feel so sporty!

But as they say, to each their own. All I know is my OG is a joy to drive, even if I'm just running to the post office or grocery. The car begs to be driven and demands attention at all times, helping create a fantastic driver engagement. and I credit the suspension for that. Soft and compliant is my F30, and it's a bore to drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 09:22 AM   #49
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
I watched a video of Chris Harris the other day testing an M2 competition & to quote "the M2 does not work as a daily driver... only on the track" which I agree with wholeheartedly. Many, many people are not happy with the ride on the M2. It is abnormally harsh! Categorizing it as a normal M-car just isn't the case! As others have mentioned (thanks for backing me up guys) it is abnormal! My guess is you haven't owned many vehicles.
Chris Harris bought an M2C with his own money and says he plans to put 100k miles on it. I doubt he intends for all of those miles to be on the track. That said, he also put an aftermarket suspension on it so he adjusted the car to his needs. If doing the same isn't the right path for you, then sure, it's not the right car.

Nothing anyone has said here is all that controversial... it's an M car with a firm suspension. That works for some people and not others. If you're not in the target market buy something else. It seems like you started this topic to either stir something up or get confirmation of your decision. In either case, it seems, mission accomplished. Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 08:35 PM   #50
Hawkdriver
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2016 M2  [10.00]
Didn't you test drive this thing? If you're worried about ride quality maybe a nice soft sedan (saloon) or SUV is for you. Seriously, it's not an insult, my M2 is purely a track car, I don't drive it too much around town. If you want comfy, M2 is not for you.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2020, 10:07 PM   #51
PresidentEvil
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB

whats the point of complaining about the stiffness of a sports car, which are designed to have stiff suspensions

if you want a soft ride just get a SUV
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2020, 11:14 PM   #52
KillerExcessive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 6MT F80 6MT F87 6MT G82CX

This thread is so 🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 12:43 AM   #53
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssVT98 View Post
Nothing anyone has said here is all that controversial... it's an M car with a firm suspension. That works for some people and not others. If you're not in the target market buy something else. It seems like you started this topic to either stir something up or get confirmation of your decision. In either case, it seems, mission accomplished. Congrats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentEvil View Post
whats the point of complaining about the stiffness of a sports car, which are designed to have stiff suspensions
if you want a soft ride just get a SUV
Up next: "Sea Too Salty & Too Chilly compared to my local swimming pool! No More!"
      11-26-2020, 03:32 AM   #54
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:

Up next: "Sea Too Salty & Too Chilly compared to my local swimming pool! No More!"

You missed the waves. How can you miss out the waves?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 10:05 AM   #55
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Bit my lip with the silly comments, idiots need not post anymore .
"Idiots"? You purchased a SPORTS car without adequate test drive and now don't like it,,,GEEZ. At least the "Idiots" criticizing your decision didn't waste our money.
Appreciate 3
      11-26-2020, 02:46 PM   #56
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bit my lip with the silly comments, idiots need not post anymore .

Are you kidding me?

Who's the idiot?

You don't even know who Artemis is!

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 05:34 PM   #57
Artemis
Rep

Drove this one in the dark a few moons ago and still got all my (original) teeth in pristine condition.

11-26-2020, 08:14 PM   #58
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Drove this one in the dark a few moons ago and still got all my (original) teeth in pristine condition.
Thank GOODNESS!

All of us were quite worried about you Artemis.

Lord knows, M2s are DANGEROUS and highly UNCOMFORTABLE machines. As a result, each time we get behind the wheel, we risk DEATH or DISMEMBERMENT!

VERY GLAD that you survived those SEVERE conditions.

Last edited by M2PDX; 11-26-2020 at 08:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 07:28 AM   #59
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

I think most agree that the suspension tuning on the OG is not quite what it could be and plenty of other sports cars do it better (seems the extra weight of the M2C fixes things?).

For me, I lasted a year with it on Chicago roads. Then, for the hell of it, I test drove the F80 with 19" wheels. Done. Perfect. Have not looked back. The F80s are incredibly well built as well, even though I don't see too many issues on the M2.

So my thoughts
1 agree with the OP, the ride is rubbish (does that sound British or what?? )
2 agree with the others here - OP, no need to rip the rest of the car apart here (loved the ND comment)
3 While the ride of my M2 broke me, gawd I loved that car for what it was.
4 why must we always attack a person personally when we don't see things their way?
Appreciate 2
      11-27-2020, 07:46 AM   #60
crf59
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition SMG

I'm 62 and my butt is not as taught and terrific as it used to be, but I love the M2C. I think its suspension harshness is overblown. I had a Honda S2000 (heavenly angel music playing as you read this - wish I had kept that as a third car) that was much more harsh. Try driving a Toyota Tacoma with the TRD off road package....
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 09:22 AM   #61
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf59 View Post
I'm 62 and my butt is not as taught and terrific as it used to be, but I love the M2C. I think its suspension harshness is overblown. I had a Honda S2000 (heavenly angel music playing as you read this - wish I had kept that as a third car) that was much more harsh. Try driving a Toyota Tacoma with the TRD off road package....
M2C rides much different than the M2 from what the reviewers say.
from this
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-drive-review/

"BMW says the suspension calibration is unchanged from the previous non-Competition M2, and it still delivers a firm ride. But after experiencing the M2 Competition on pockmarked Michigan roads, we wonder if there might be some slight retuning at play. The new car doesn't have the same impact harshness we remember from our long-term example, and it bounces around less on bumpy corners"
Appreciate 1
admranger2981.50
      11-27-2020, 10:00 AM   #62
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf59 View Post
from this

"BMW says the suspension calibration is unchanged from the previous non-Competition M2, and it still delivers a firm ride. But after experiencing the M2 Competition on pockmarked Michigan roads, we wonder if there might be some slight retuning at play. The new car doesn't have the same impact harshness we remember from our long-term example, and it bounces around less on bumpy corners"
The thinking now is that it's the aluminum and carbon fiber engine bracing making the difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 12:07 PM   #63
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
The thinking now is that it's the aluminum and carbon fiber engine bracing making the difference.
That makes sense. Would be worth a try on the N55s.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 12:34 PM   #64
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
from this
Affirmative. See this earlier comment:
Quote:
About the OG M2 suspension and M2C suspension: effectively, so far never a difference in suspension hardware was demonstrated between the two cars.

What could explain the difference in driving feel: the M2C is heavier (55 kg) and features a stiffened front end (CF strut brace in the engine bay) + re-calibrated software.

Engine block weight ? During the M2C launch back in 2018, BMW told journalists that the S55 engine block inside the M2C itself only weighs 2 kg more than the N55 engine block sporting the OG M2 (mentioned for example in this Dutch video [06:35-06:37]). But of course there are the peripherals too, more cooling, CF strut brace, OPF, etc. explaining the added 55 kg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
Slipped up and found this... interesting!
(https://carbuzz.com/cars/bmw/m2)

“The M2 Competition tilts the focus more towards race track performance so we have increased the amount of content from the M3/M4 models,” explained Dirk Häcker, BMW M’s VP of Engineering. Given that the bodyshell and front and rear inner structure was already modified to accept the M3/M4 suspension and wide rubber no further work was required here apart from stiffening the front end.
“Since the track is identical to the M3/M4 carbon-fiber engine compartment brace bolted straight in. This significantly reduces torsional flex in the engine compartment ‘box’ and keeps the front suspension geometry closer to spec under load,” he said. “We experimented with variations of the M2 spring and damper rates but found that with the improved front-end stiffness the original settings were ideal,” explained Peter Schmid, Project Manager for Driving Dynamics. “This is the first time ever in my career that this has happened, and all we needed, in the end, was some software recalibration of the control electronics.”

Well.. that should settle it. We can all go look at the photos section now, as this debate will surely end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
Oh, more interesting information here...
(https://drivetribe.com/p/the-bmw-m2-...Q8i12t-CD2dViQ)

On the subject of weight balance, the M2C’s balance between the front and rear has shifted slightly to the front. The main reason is of course the engine, but this is not the complete story when it comes to the subject of handling. To explain the true story of what was changed, I sat down with the chief engineer of BMW M at Ascari to run down the list of mechanical changes to the setup of the car allowing us to analyze the sheer brilliance of its new handling characteristics.

First of all, the Germans added a series of parts to the car but didn’t touch the spring rates or the suspension struts. With regards to the suspension hardware nothing was changed. A new front strut brace (combination of a bulkhead strut & CFRP strut) from the M3/M4 allows for a much improved stiffness, a noticeable more precise turn-in and better balance at high speed. The front has a tendency of communicating its lower amount of understeer better to the driver allowing yourself to minimize it where you can. The rear bushings for the suspension mounting points keep the rear better in line with the direction of the front.

In order to ensure extremely precise wheel location, play-free ball joints are used to transmit transverse forces, similarly to the base M2. The longitudinal forces passing through the chassis are transmitted into the torque struts directly via special elastomer bearings, which simultaneously deliver the desired rolling comfort. A noticeable difference is the decreased level of roll under turn-in, one of the M2’s noticeable flaws. According to the chief engineer, the steering software was finetuned to allow for a more precise turn-in using less lock on the steering wheel and therefore producing less roll.

Sheer brilliance of the M2 Competition is encompassed by another software change. The Germans tuned the MDM and oh good lord they have done a super job, it is the tasteful cherry on the chubby cake. Based on the M3/M4 CS MDM software, the engineers have developed a set up that allows you to lean on the traction of the rears and your steering lock in an immensely smooth, safe and non-intrusive way. The more open nature of the available playing room at the rear remembered me of the times I drove a E46 M3 (My M benchmark) aggressively. It is so lovely balanced and offers so much more sideslip that it becomes a challenging and playful game between you as a driver and the MDM who will win. In the end, it is an addictive game with the M2C in Sport Plus trying to lure you in with a rewarding present you cannot refuse, while you also know it will tell you “until here and no further” when you become too greedy.

The ability to lean on this open window within its suspension set up and not on its available powerband is what I want to see in a M car. I don’t need tons of horsepower, I need sheer brilliance through my hands on the wheel and my butt in the seat, and that is exactly what this car is able to do. The level in which it puts a M smile on your face and lets you scream of joy behind the wheel is an experience I do not often have any more behind the wheel of a car. Subsequently, it also lets you completely forget the worries about its chubbiness.

I’m done now.

11-30-2020, 01:22 AM   #65
guardodoc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 e92, 1986 325e 2021 X5 40i

Consider

MSS F87 M2 Height Adjustable Spring Kit

Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      11-30-2020, 02:26 AM   #66
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
I'm going to the M Performance coils and doing the M3/4 carbon brace retrofit to see if I can achieve a similar change.

When it comes down to it, I think a lot of people are (1) being overly protective of the cars they bought and are feeling attacked and (2) are deliberately (in some cases) focusing on a straw man.

The M2 stock suspension isn't that stiff, but the damping just isn't well calibrated. It's a well known issue that significantly more qualified drivers than any of us on this forum recognize and point out.

The M2C rides significantly better. OP is being unnecessarily hostile, but then again some of the posters here are fragile little boys who think that they're driving a hardcore sports car and anyone who doesn't like it is less of a man.

Newsflash: this is a sporty car, but it's barely a sportscar from stock.

OP definitely bought the wrong car, and his taste in replacement is...questionable to say the least. But some of the responses here are just ridiculous. Let's be clear if you use the phrase "man card" you never had one to begin with.
Appreciate 3
MDuckie93.00
admranger2981.50
Moflow2484.50