BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > JB4/ MHD/ BM3 on track (N55)

12-30-2020, 10:46 PM   #1
3LiterBeater
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2, Porsche 944 Turbo

Hi everyone, happy to be back on the BMW forums after a long stint in a heavy Audi.

As the title suggests, I'm looking for personal experience of software and track use. What do you use and why did you go that route?

I come from a JB4 335i (N54) previously and before that a lot of VAG products. The JB4 blew me away with logging/ customization/ etc. It is my understanding that the JB4 isn't as friendly on our N55. Is the fuel system as maxed out as some say? I only plan to use 93 oct fuel.

For the record, the car has a Wagner Evo Comp 2 and charge pipe so far.

While I'm not hunting for power, the logging and extra features seem handy. I also love the idea of a catless downpipe to preserve the turbo/ get as much heat out of the engine as possible. Also sound being a huge bonus while retaining factory look

I'm aware of the flash tunes but not too keen on switching settings via a reflash each time. Part of my experience leads me to believe that you can only flash a computer so many times before things get "wonky". For track use, I don't see a real need for over stock power levels (until the M2C guys start reeling me in). It has also come to my attention that some say the JB4 will not hide a CEL from the catless DP, can a user confirm?

Ideally, I would love the benefits of a catless exhaust on factory power and no dash lights.

I have also considered a "set and forget" 91 octane flash tune even though I primarily only use 93 oct for extra safety margin.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 04:28 PM   #2
juicy
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LiterBeater View Post
Hi everyone, happy to be back on the BMW forums after a long stint in a heavy Audi.

As the title suggests, I'm looking for personal experience of software and track use. What do you use and why did you go that route?

I come from a JB4 335i (N54) previously and before that a lot of VAG products. The JB4 blew me away with logging/ customization/ etc. It is my understanding that the JB4 isn't as friendly on our N55. Is the fuel system as maxed out as some say? I only plan to use 93 oct fuel.

While I'm not hunting for power, the logging and extra features seem handy. I also love the idea of a catless downpipe to preserve the turbo/ get as much heat out of the engine as possible. Also sound being a huge bonus while retaining factory look

I'm aware of the flash tunes but not too keen on switching settings via a reflash each time. Part of my experience leads me to believe that you can only flash a computer so many times before things get "wonky". For track use, I don't see a real need for over stock power levels (until the M2C guys start reeling me in). It has also come to my attention that some say the JB4 will not hide a CEL from the catless DP, can a user confirm?

Ideally, I would love the benefits of a catless exhaust on factory power and no dash lights.

I have also considered a "set and forget" 91 octane flash tune even though I primarily only use 93 oct for extra safety margin.

Thanks in advance.
Changing the intercooler and other cooling stuff would have more benefits than tuning. Currently, I'm using 93 stage 1 for couple of track days with no problem. Would focus on suspension and tire upgrades for track. Just my own opinions.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 09:57 AM   #3
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I run BM3 Stage 2 Racegas tune on track with 93 octane plus boostane to hit around 102.

No issues what's so ever. However, do keep in mind my car is FBO, so YMMV.

BM3 has been a very safe and stable platform. They have some new OTS maps out to take advantage those with HPFP upgrades.

I don't think you can go wrong with them.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2021, 04:48 PM   #4
3LiterBeater
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Changing the intercooler and other cooling stuff would have more benefits than tuning. Currently, I'm using 93 stage 1 for couple of track days with no problem. Would focus on suspension and tire upgrades for track. Just my own opinions.
Ah, I should've gone a bit more in depth. Car is getting coils, wheels, brakes and all the other fun goodies. I club race and instruct with a few groups so no stranger to the track. Main goal is to gather what I can "safely" run on the M2 on the track. Cars are a bit more fragile these days!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 05:06 PM   #5
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Not a lot to be gained from a decat over a hi flow 200cel on the N55 plus you have the drawbacks of smell & legality/inspections etc.(you will still get a check engine light with most hiflow d/p's though).
I'm running Wagner hiflow catted D/P, Wagner evo2 I/C, charge pipes etc with OTS BM3 stage2 91 tune. I only ever use 93 fuel (98 here) & occasionally Elf 102 on track, but prefer to have that safety ceiling of the st2 91 tune as there is not a lot to be gained going to the st2 93 tune anyway. It's a nice, linear power delivery now, quite similar to oem.
Don't expect big gains as the N55 in M2 form is fairly well pushed from the factory. The above setup provides a safe but noticable improvement without headaches.
BTW I have a track dedicated tarmac rally car for my Motorsport, the M2 is my all purpose daily/club car. If your building a track car the options are obviously much different however if that was the case you'd buy the M2C for the S55 & not even bother with the N55.
      01-01-2021, 10:18 PM   #6
3LiterBeater
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Not a lot to be gained from a decat over a hi flow 200cel on the N55 plus you have the drawbacks of smell & legality/inspections etc.(you will still get a check engine light with most hiflow d/p's though).
I'm running Wagner hiflow catted D/P, Wagner evo2 I/C, charge pipes etc with OTS BM3 stage2 91 tune. I only ever use 93 fuel (98 here) & occasionally Elf 102 on track, but prefer to have that safety ceiling of the st2 91 tune as there is not a lot to be gained going to the st2 93 tune anyway. It's a nice, linear power delivery now, quite similar to oem.
Don't expect big gains as the N55 in M2 form is fairly well pushed from the factory. The above setup provides a safe but noticable improvement without headaches.
BTW I have a track dedicated tarmac rally car for my Motorsport, the M2 is my all purpose daily/club car. If your building a track car the options are obviously much different however if that was the case you'd buy the M2C for the S55 & not even bother with the N55.
Funny, I actually bought the N55 over the S55 for the obvious cost savings but the weight/ simplicity of the engine was more attractive to me.

With the catless exhaust, a big motivator is the sound and heat reduction. Good to hear about your news with the tune.

I have a dedicated race car, the M2 is just as yours. Occasional use lapping day car and daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 10:19 PM   #7
3LiterBeater
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
I run BM3 Stage 2 Racegas tune on track with 93 octane plus boostane to hit around 102.

BM3 has been a very safe and stable platform. They have some new OTS maps out to take advantage those with HPFP upgrades.

Great info. I'll probably only run stock fueling. Trying to limit complexity as best as I can!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 11:03 PM   #8
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Great info. I'll probably only run stock fueling. Trying to limit complexity as best as I can!
Any of the OTS maps would be fine. If you have an intercooler and downpipe, stage 2 is a good option, otherwise run stage 1.

Stage 2 Racegas with supporting mods, I put down about 400whp on a Dynojet. Last track event was 3 days in advanced/solo group (tons of on track time), had zero issues at all! (other than nuking my brake pads due to too many hot laps )
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 02:40 PM   #9
3LiterBeater
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Any of the OTS maps would be fine. If you have an intercooler and downpipe, stage 2 is a good option, otherwise run stage 1.

Stage 2 Racegas with supporting mods, I put down about 400whp on a Dynojet. Last track event was 3 days in advanced/solo group (tons of on track time), had zero issues at all! (other than nuking my brake pads due to too many hot laps )
Awesome, do you run into any of the soft limp modes? I know some people have mentioned coolant/ oil get hot and the car will pull power. I assume the tune will only make that come more quickly.

Side note, any chance some fire comes out of this thing once catless? My other cars love to throw a flame between shifts and my inner 8 year old likes that. It is my understanding the DFI cars will dump fuel once hot on track
Appreciate 0