BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Replaced steering wheel using warranty

07-31-2020, 09:05 AM   #1
Shahaf2911
Private
Israel
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Hi,
Well when I first got my 2017 OG M2 approximately 7 months ago, I assumed my steering wheel was a just bit faded and that's it, i bought it with 29K km (approx 18K miles) which isn't much at all for a ~2.3 year old car.
In about 2/3 months my warranty ends so I've decided try out my luck, so a few days ago I went to the dealer and did a routine check before the warranty expires and told them about the steering wheel, they ended up changing it to a new one, and my god how different it is! Before I got the new steering wheel, I didn't even know it was in such a bad shape, but once I saw my new one I understood how bad it was.
So I didn't see any threads with this issue, so I'm posting it for people to know that it does happen and it can be changed using the warranty if it's in bad condition
And here are photos for comparison between before and after:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 09:14 AM   #2
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
You got lucky, what you had was just normal.

Just about nothing as nice as having a new steering wheel. Well done.
Appreciate 1
6speed_M23632.50
      07-31-2020, 01:37 PM   #3
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3, '18 M2, '22 X3M

Indeed - very surprised they'd swap that out considering what you had was just wear and tear from obviously never cleaning it. Definitely a lot of wear though for that low of mileage. PO must have used a lot of hand lotion or ate lots of cheeseburgers in there. You probably could have got it back to 90% just by cleaning it properly had they not replaced it.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6629.00
      07-31-2020, 04:39 PM   #4
khoa@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F83

You are really lucky buddy. My steering wheel is worse than your old one and my dealership wouldn't replace it for me (Still in warranty).
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 04:48 PM   #5
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfisher99 View Post
Indeed - very surprised they'd swap that out considering what you had was just wear and tear from obviously never cleaning it. Definitely a lot of wear though for that low of mileage. PO must have used a lot of hand lotion or ate lots of cheeseburgers in there. You probably could have got it back to 90% just by cleaning it properly had they not replaced it.
No man! Dealership replaced it because they knew original owner used too much Lubriderm, like Daniel in this video.

Had to replace it to avoid liability concerns!

Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
gfisher99287.00
      07-31-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
Shahaf2911
Private
Israel
Rep

Wellllllll so I'm not gonna complain 😂
It's weird tho.. if your dealer changes something using the warranty, you and them benefit from it, as when you use the warranty BMW covers all the work and the costs, not the deal, which is why the dealer gets paid and you get a new part without paying 🤷🏽*♂️
So it's kinda weird they're making a fuss about changing things under warranty because for them is just checking if BMW authorize and if they do (as in my chase) they just replace it and get paid.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 05:35 PM   #7
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahaf2911 View Post
Wellllllll so I'm not gonna complain ��
It's weird tho.. if your dealer changes something using the warranty, you and them benefit from it, as when you use the warranty BMW covers all the work and the costs, not the deal, which is why the dealer gets paid and you get a new part without paying ����*♂️
So it's kinda weird they're making a fuss about changing things under warranty because for them is just checking if BMW authorize and if they do (as in my chase) they just replace it and get paid.
You indeed got lucky, I tried many times over to get a new steering wheel and worn leather seat, however, in my experince, they usually don't replace items that are questionable in wear or defect, to err on the side of caution, on the off-chance that BMW AG later in the warranty audit process, decides it wasn't warranted or falls under 'user error' and chargeback their rebursement.

I'm sure if it was as easy as you're assuming it is, they would replace everything under the sun, to merely pad the bill.

Your situation seems to be what they call a "Goodwill" repair, which they are sometimes alloted, without a black and white determination of cause but instead, based on their personal discrection.

https://www.digitaldealer.com/dealer...ill-repairs-2/

Last edited by Poochie; 07-31-2020 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 06:12 PM   #8
gmhl10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a M2 CS

Quote:
It's weird tho.. if your dealer changes something using the warranty, you and them benefit from it, as when you use the warranty BMW covers all the work and the costs, not the deal, which is why the dealer gets paid and you get a new part without paying 🤷🏽*♂️
That is incorrect. I used to work for BMW and the dealership does still have to pay for part of a warranty repair. I can't remember what the ratio was for BMW/dealer pay, but the dealer does still pay.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 07:15 PM   #9
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhl10 View Post
Quote:
BMW and the dealership does still have to pay for part of a warranty repair.
The dealer absorbs some of the cost of a repair?

So they operate at a net loss gain?

Yea, that sounds like a franchise stealership; after all, they are known for their charity work.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 10:27 PM   #10
gmhl10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Yea, that sounds like a franchise stealership; after all, they are known for their charity work.
The dealership only gets about 6/10 of the labor paid compared to a regular pay job. Even a job that the dealer has already performed and submitted to BMW for warranty, BMW can come back and deny the warranty so the dealership is left with 100% of the costs then. Not to mention, if they're only getting paid for a fraction of the work, they're possibly missing out on getting paid by the customer for 100% of the work with other jobs. All part of being in a franchise, like you mentioned.

I mean, if there were no downsides to approving and doing warranty work, why would they turn it down? That'd be just bonkers. It's all about the $$$ in every business.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      07-31-2020, 10:35 PM   #11
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhl10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

The dealership only gets about 6/10 of the labor paid compared to a regular pay job. Even a job that the dealer has already performed and submitted to BMW for warranty, BMW can come back and deny the warranty so the dealership is left with 100% of the costs then. Not to mention, if they're only getting paid for a fraction of the work, they're possibly missing out on getting paid by the customer for 100% of the work with other jobs. All part of being in a franchise, like you mentioned.

I mean, if there were no downsides to approving and doing warranty work, why would they turn it down? That'd be just bonkers. It's all about the $$$ in every business.
Oh, well yes; a dealers have an agreement with the manufactures, to work for flat book rate only, with no adders, that's an industry standard but it's still work nonetheless, at a net profit.

The way you worded it, it seemed to imply that it's actually costing them a portion, on each claim.

One can argue that they can potentially gain more from milking some sucker, with a cash job, over a flat book warranty rate but that's all hypothetical.

Everything else I pretty much agree with you on, as far is the potential loss of a warranty chargeback but trust me, they're still eating good.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 04:10 AM   #12
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
I think BMW NA are very iffy, most likely due to so many tuned cars expecting warranty repairs for their cars.

New ISTA update across US dealers signal this, having updated their scan tool (ISTA) to be able to detect a tune like BM3 with a simple scan, no longer having to dig for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 09:25 AM   #13
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

God, I can’t stand worn steering wheels...
The reason I wear driving gloves (although it makes me look like an a$$hat) on longer drives.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      08-01-2020, 10:37 AM   #14
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
The reason I wear driving gloves (although it makes me look like an a$$hat) on longer drives.
I don't like them either, that's why I troll the FS boards every day waiting for a new-condition one to come up for sale for a good price. Happy to say I have one for when mine gets worn. Same with the shift knob/boot, and floor mats. A driver's seat is always on my list as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #15
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
I don't like them either, that's why I troll the FS boards every day waiting for a new-condition one to come up for sale for a good price. Happy to say I have one for when mine gets worn. Same with the shift knob/boot, and floor mats. A driver's seat is always on my list as well.
The inevitable shiny steering wheel, no matter how often I tried to rejuvenate my previous steering on my f22 with 5 years of ownership, it never returned to the original matte feel that it had when new.

I might do the same as you and stockpile a new one if I see one up for grabs
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 12:47 PM   #16
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post
The inevitable shiny steering wheel, no matter how often I tried to rejuvenate my previous steering on my f22 with 5 years of ownership, it never returned to the original matte feel that it had when new.

I might do the same as you and stockpile a new one if I see one up for grabs
For sure man, that matte look and feel is just awesome. The stock M Performance alcantara is similar in how it doesn't last long in its original feel.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #17
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I feel like my m2 steering wheel is still pretty matte with almost 40k miles. My e90 m3 I bought second hand with 80k miles is sadly pretty shiny.

I find for the seats I'm liking the Ammo cleaner product, makes it look pretty matte, but I can't bring the steering wheel back to matte that is that far gone. I have not spent that much time on it though. Maybe another round of leatherique then Ammo who knows maybe will fix it.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 01:42 PM   #18
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I. . . I can't bring the steering wheel back to matte that is that far gone. I have not spent that much time on it though. Maybe another round of leatherique . . . will fix it.
Akkando

I too like a clean steering wheel . . . not just the look of the matte finish, but the grippy feel associated with a clean (matte) finish.

There are not many car maintenance products that stand 'heads and toes' above others on the market . . . but I am of the opinion Leatherique is one such product.

Regarding the 'shiny' appearance on OPs steering wheel, that is simply the accumulation of body oils and dirts . . . and likely a bunch of other leather cleaning products. If used properly, Leatherique could most definitely return it to the matte look and feel.

By 'properly' I mean application of rejuvenator fluid for extended period (2-4+ days). Using the cleaner fluid regularly will 'maintain' the matte (clean) leather. It never ceases to amaze my just how much dirt comes off with the cleaner fluid after just a couple weeks. Obviously the steering wheel gets dirtiest (shiny) quickest and requires more maintenance than other leather in the vehicle, with the driver seat coming next.

Regarding the leather wear in terms of superficial flaking, well, that is just from usage. I believe, however, routine use of Leatherique can prevent or, at least, minimize such wear over time.

///AVM

P.S. I am not big into maintenance of car aesthetics, but I do care about things related to driving performance. For example, clean windows and steering wheel. As above, I am a firm believer in the Leatherique product. Below is a great video on the product, including real-life demonstration of how well it works, as well as dispelling some myths regarding 'conditioning treated leather.'

Last edited by ///AVM; 08-01-2020 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6629.00
      08-01-2020, 02:30 PM   #19
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Whats the wholesale pricing of the M2 Steering Wheel?

I would not mind changing the steering wheel after 4 years for a shinny new one.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 04:57 PM   #20
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
Mine is not worn like that but it's a bit shine and not so grippy.

I ordered the DIY leather overlay (or what to call it) from ebay. It was with partly perforated leather which gives a nice look and grippy feeling.

A few guys on the forum have ordered something similar. It might be a very economical option to getting a completely new steering wheel..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 08:25 PM   #21
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
Mine is not worn like that but it's a bit shine and not so grippy.

I ordered the DIY leather overlay (or what to call it) from ebay. It was with partly perforated leather which gives a nice look and grippy feeling.

A few guys on the forum have ordered something similar. It might be a very economical option to getting a completely new steering wheel..
Fedorov

'Shiny' is oil and dirt accumulation . . . try the Leatherique and you will get that matte finish and grip back.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 03:26 AM   #22
Shahaf2911
Private
Israel
Rep

So I've got quite a bit to answer ahah,
For starters I understand what you mean about the clear and shinny leather and I didn't know what made it but thanks to the leatherque (?) video and your explanations I do now, and I do want to order it now for my seats ahah.
But my steering wheel was far from just shinny and clear, it had a lot of spots where the leather was grey where you can see that the color of the steering wheel has completely faded and gone, but it's not up to debate that the previous owner didn't take much care of the interior leather (the car itself was like new though).
And about the warranty, yes of course it's not as simple and easy going as I described it ahah but it's quite simple, you do need BMW's approval so you can't just change parts non stop and get paid by BMW, you need to send them proof and sometimes even the part itself, but if the dealer decides to change something under warranty and BMW ends up not accepting the reasons for it, yes the dealer will pay back for all the things (or not get paid in the first place) but certainly the individual will not get paid as it's not his fault (*in really simple words* ahah).
So yes I'm 100% certain (because I did check) that my specific steering wheel did get changed under warranty, because maybe the pictures don't so justice for the wear it has, but I do agree with what you say thou it's weird some dealers don't even bother checking with BMW when for them it's just sending a message and a couple of photos.
Aaaaaand that's it I think ahah
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00