BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track Forum General Chit Chat

07-17-2020, 11:58 AM   #287
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeni View Post
i highly advice you to get at least 2.5 degres camber running cup2. In their current spec they have somewhat of a soft sidewall (should be changed with the connect variant).
i had them on for 1 trackday with 1.5 dgrees of camber (oem, lowered) and ended up with this result:
Thanks for the tip. I'll see what I can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Dawe View Post
There's my answer.

I was about to post a thread about my Front MPSS wearing oddly but I was definitely at that point of ~38PSI and 90°C. It looked like the outer shoulder was melting too much. Rears were fine maxing at 35PSI/66°C. Couldn't do a full 30 min. session before my tires weren't happy.

Autobahn CC Full Course - 85°F amb. Sunny - Stock Suspension & Alignment - For reference

Should there be this much difference between my front and rears or am I not driving out of corners hard enough? Am I causing this through bad corner entry technique?

Also had a random thought that it could be heating so quick due to my 18" 513s being much closer to the brakes than 19" 437s?
Tire doesn't look too bad, but 90/66 C seems like a huge spread. Mine are typically ~ 10 deg warmer in the front than the rear.

I don't think it's possible to comment on your line or corner exit based on tire temps alone. Makes sense that 18s would warm up more from closer brake proximity, but that's a BIG temp difference. Got any video?

If you're braking early and riding the brake half applied into the corner I could see this happening, but again, impossible to tell just on this one data point.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 12:33 PM   #288
Insane_Dawe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 White ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Tire doesn't look too bad, but 90/66 C seems like a huge spread. Mine are typically ~ 10 deg warmer in the front than the rear.

I don't think it's possible to comment on your line or corner exit based on tire temps alone. Makes sense that 18s would warm up more from closer brake proximity, but that's a BIG temp difference. Got any video?

If you're braking early and riding the brake half applied into the corner I could see this happening, but again, impossible to tell just on this one data point.
Working on a video, haven't had a chance to sift through it. I've learned to brake hard for a short time and to avoid trail braking. Wasn't having issues with brakes overheating, I was mostly concerned about the rubber line buildup between the outer shoulder and my tires were responding drastically different between the first lap and 4-5th lap.

Coming from a motorcycle background, it's pretty easy to look at a tire and be able to determine how far someone is leaning, where they are getting on the throttle and if their temps are too high.

I don't think the brakes are what's causing issues. It's just a random thought I had and was wondering if anyone has info about 18 vs 19s regarding brake temps/tire heating.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 12:43 PM   #289
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Oh, i see what you mean. The line is normal. I gotten them with multiple tires over the years. Not sure if it originates from your tires, or if it forms from picking up OPR (other people’s rubber).
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 01:57 AM   #290
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
I’m sure for a native speaker this would somehow be possible. But after having a 20min discussion in German about what is possible, what is not possible, what requires additional TUV approvals etc. I was mentally drained. So I gave up and took factory sizes.
Fair enough, I know the allowable sizes are printed on the registration and have no clue how one gets a Gutachten. Its smart as you can easily do dumb things like pick tires that rub or stick out too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeni View Post
i highly advice you to get at least 2.5 degres camber running cup2. In their current spec they have somewhat of a soft sidewall (should be changed with the connect variant).
i had them on for 1 trackday with 1.5 dgrees of camber (oem, lowered) and ended up with this result:
This is my friends exp as well and why I wont try Cup 2s till I get camber plates.

Quote:
There's my answer.

I was about to post a thread about my Front MPSS wearing oddly but I was definitely at that point of ~38PSI and 90°C. It looked like the outer shoulder was melting too much. Rears were fine maxing at 35PSI/66°C. Couldn't do a full 30 min. session before my tires weren't happy.

Autobahn CC Full Course - 85°F amb. Sunny - Stock Suspension & Alignment - For reference

Should there be this much difference between my front and rears or am I not driving out of corners hard enough? Am I causing this through bad corner entry technique?

Also had a random thought that it could be heating so quick due to my 18" 513s being much closer to the brakes than 19" 437s?
Its a powerful RWD car it will wear out the fronts before the rears, especially if you get the diff working. I got 1 extra track day out of the fronts over the rears. My tires looked like yours and I assumed they were in the right opperating range (nice feathering all over the surface). The delta front to rear in wear is normal due to the suspension geometery and weight (more over the front axle). Michis have soft outer shoulders (see thier marketing blurb that helps with grip/turn in) and therefore they always suffer more on trask.

Went to Spa Yesterday. 2.54.88 is the best I could muster before my front tires were toast (they have seen 4-5 trackdays already). A friend who is a better driver gave me some pointers after the tires and front pads were shot and I reckon there is at least a 2 second improvement to be had.

Marshalls were great at giving blue flags in the 1st session. By the 2nd session ppl let me line up first

1st 15 seconds shows the delta of a N55 to S55 (yes going downhill I have a 50kg advantage ).

07-21-2020, 04:28 AM   #291
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post

1st 15 seconds shows the delta of a N55 to S55 (yes going downhill I have a 50kg advantage ).

Nice work and good time! I see you had similar weather to me, and we were like 111km apart.

C'mon, that OG M2 was clearly not fully on throttle and he was letting you pass. I got by 3 separate M2Cs yesterday, and one passed me. Driver gets more credit than the car.

I was out Prsche hunting yesterday too. I posted the video at the bottom of this thread. Don't want to re-post the same vid over and over.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1576439&page=2

Cup2s are awesome. I still haven't fully explored their limits, but they were noticeably stickier than MPSS, and when I messed up they had the extra grip to cover up my mistakes.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 05:41 AM   #292
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Nice work and good time! I see you had similar weather to me, and we were like 111km apart.

C'mon, that OG M2 was clearly not fully on throttle and he was letting you pass. I got by 3 separate M2Cs yesterday, and one passed me. Driver gets more credit than the car.

I was out Prsche hunting yesterday too. I posted the video at the bottom of this thread. Don't want to re-post the same vid over and over.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1576439&page=2

Cup2s are awesome. I still haven't fully explored their limits, but they were noticeably stickier than MPSS, and when I messed up they had the extra grip to cover up my mistakes.
Well I think a half hour b4 in the briefing I told him to look in his mirrors (1st trackday at Spa for him) haha. In a drag race there is not that much driver skill (pls dont flame me I know it harder than it looks at the strip), I do agree once your out into the twisties driver skill takes over.

I feel ya on the reposting, not sure what the rules were for posting in the fastest time thread but Kankles asked me to do it.

I am glad you liked the Cup 2s! Did u go under 8min? I went with worn NS2R fronts and new AR1 rears, which was not ideal. Hard to rotate the car on the throtle and was washing out due to lack of front end grip.
      07-21-2020, 05:56 AM   #293
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well I think a half hour b4 in the briefing I told him to look in his mirrors (1st trackday at Spa for him) haha. In a drag race there is not that much driver skill (pls dont flame me I know it harder than it looks at the strip), I do agree once your out into the twisties driver skill takes over.

I feel ya on the reposting, not sure what the rules were for posting in the fastest time thread but Kankles asked me to do it.

I am glad you liked the Cup 2s! Did u go under 8min? I went with worn NS2R fronts and new AR1 rears, which was not ideal. Hard to rotate the car on the throtle and was washing out due to lack of front end grip.
Oh, no worries, I was talking about myself, as i posted the same video in a few different threads before.

I did not manage a sub 8 lap. Still only tied my previous best of 8:18. Yesterday the conditions were not so good. It was hard to get clean laps due to many yellow and red flags. Plus I still need more driver mod. Not quite as good as you yet

I did find a few line tweaks which make getting to that lap time easier though. Now I just need more practice and to put it all together in one clean lap!

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 10:53 AM   #294
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Oh, no worries, I was talking about myself, as i posted the same video in a few different threads before.

I did not manage a sub 8 lap. Still only tied my previous best of 8:18. Yesterday the conditions were not so good. It was hard to get clean laps due to many yellow and red flags. Plus I still need more driver mod. Not quite as good as you yet

I did find a few line tweaks which make getting to that lap time easier though. Now I just need more practice and to put it all together in one clean lap!
Ach, yeah traffic blows. I was surprised how good everyone was at Spa yesterday. On other days no one seems to check their mirrors.

Thanks for the kind words. Im addicted to this and love going faster and faster

Yeah its hard to get the "perfect" lap when you are constantly tweaking. I had it with the "bus stop" at Spa. My friend gave me pointers at "Blanchimont" and I was getting to the Bus Stop 5-10kmh faster. But then you need to modify how you take the "bus stop" and it becomes an itterative process
      07-29-2020, 12:27 PM   #295
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There's my answer.

For comparison, here are my Cup2s after 1 day on the 'Ring. I'm still not sure if that extra line of rubber belonged to other people's tires, or the second rib of mine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 08:53 AM   #296
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I played cat and mouse with an Exige Cup. Quick little mouse.

Appreciate 2
      08-06-2020, 03:40 PM   #297
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

This was also a good battle, but here I had to brake for the Porsche a few times. Not enough power to pass, but that's how it goes. Still fun filling his mirrors.

Appreciate 1
mcvaughan704.00
      08-07-2020, 04:24 PM   #298
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

One more weekend left on this tire?

This is my left rear RE71R (dedicated track tires) after a weekend at Sebring.

A brief history... The shoulder showing the most wear was on the outside. Starting PSI was 26-27 and they never got past 36. Rear camber was -1.8. Ambient temp was 96F (June in Florida).

Sebring was the 3rd event for these tires (Daytona and Roebling before).

My next planned HPDE is Barber in November, and I intended to run this tire on the right side of the car to even out wear.

All three other tires look good for another weekend but I'm a little worried about this one.

For those familiar with RE71Rs (and Barber), do you think this tire will make it thru another weekend?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 04:26 PM   #299
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

For reference, here is the condition of the left front:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      08-08-2020, 12:13 PM   #300
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So I have no experience with RE-71s (hopefully other can chime in as well), but I'd say it depends on the track, how much runoff you have, and how far home is.

I say this because I have ran Potenza Pole Position a bit past this point, and I had to bail out of a session, as they lost big chunks of thread from the shoulder. Caused me to understate and drop 2 wheels off. No big deal as there was tons of runoff. Also I was able to drive them home. But that was too close for comfort.

I would guess you can still get away with one day, but you might be close to seeing cords.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 12:23 PM   #301
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_550 View Post
Quote:
So I have no experience with RE-71s (hopefully other can chime in as well), but I'd say it depends on the track, how much runoff you have, and how far home is.

I say this because I have ran Potenza Pole Position a bit past this point, and I had to bail out of a session, as they lost big chunks of thread from the shoulder. Caused me to understate and drop 2 wheels off. No big deal as there was tons of runoff. Also I was able to drive them home. But that was too close for comfort.

I would guess you can still get away with one day, but you might be close to seeing cords.
Why not go to a tire shop and have em swap left to right and vice versa?

Im in a similar situation and a bit too lazy to go to a tire shop so I am going to run the tires in reverse. Since its not raining it shouldnt be much of an issue.

5.M0NSTER has a good point, how long is the session? what do u risk if you run them to the chords? etc
      08-08-2020, 02:50 PM   #302
NY135ivishnu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 135i

Good afternoon gents.

I just booked a august 30th track day at NYST. This will be the first course I attend on my M2C. I have an idea of things to do to prep. I'm writing here to see what people do that have frequent track days.

My car has the following

-full bolt ons
-bootmod3 time stage 2
-apracing kit front and read with ds2500 pads fresh flush.

-bc coils
-front sway from afe
-18" apex sm10 265 front, 295 rear nitro nt05

I've ordered fresh oil and csf heat exchanger. Do you guys recommend anything else ?

Gloves?
Fire extinguisher?

Any advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 03:15 PM   #303
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_550 View Post
Quote:

Why not go to a tire shop and have em swap left to right and vice versa?

Im in a similar situation and a bit too lazy to go to a tire shop so I am going to run the tires in reverse. Since its not raining it shouldnt be much of an issue.

5.M0NSTER has a good point, how long is the session? what do u risk if you run them to the chords? etc
Yes, as mentioned in my OP, I will be switching the tires left to right, right to left (so the worn-out shoulder on the outside, will now be on the inside).

Barber will be 2-day weekend with 4 x 30min sessions each day. Car will go on a trailer (8-hrs each way. I'm not driving the car).

This is my first experience with tire wear on track, so trying to get a feel for how much degradation I can expect thru one more weekend.

I was hoping to get one more weekend and then replace the whole set but if this tire is borderline going to mess up my weekend, I rather replace it and only have to worry about my driving.

Thanks for any experience you can share.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      08-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #304
dmf
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT/BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY135ivishnu View Post
I have an idea of things to do to prep.
That is a nice setup, but since its the first day with an M2C the biggest one will be ego and patience. You'll have a lot of power at your disposal but you want to be careful early on in the day depending on your tire choice + camber setup + whether your turning traction control into MDM or off completely. It is unlikely you'll set records on your first track day in the M2C so focus on learning the limits of the car and potentially where it could be improved.

My first track day in my M2C involved Buttonwillow on stock everything and over the 2 days I got as far as being a bit more aggressive through corners and turning into MDM mode. Everything went well until a near miss right at the end of my last session saw my stock tires give up any semblance of traction coming onto the straight and almost had me into the only thing you can possibly collide with at Buttonwillow.

So the prep that will pay the most dividends will be yourself. Aside from that:

- I see plenty of folks with gloves but I've done 12 days without them but might get a pair.
- Unless the car is fully race prep-ed a full or even mini fire extinguisher is at best unnecessary and at worst a projectile during a crash. The track should have fire/rescue services on standby and the ones I go to have them in the corner worker stands. Fire is typically the one reason your allowed out of your car on a hot track and you can use that to run over to a corner worker and gran it - but I would ask your organizers.
- I assume the break fluid was changed to something more suitable than stock fluid when you had the APRacing kit put on (nice choice BTW!)
- I've run the DS2500 equivalent from Brembo as they came with my calipers but now days use the DS 1.11 given I tend to drive more aggressively and I never get a hint of fade with them. DS2500 are still great for starting.
- Probably not needed for your first M2C day but camber plates help with wear and contact through corners. I'm now -3.3 front -2.3 rear and get completely even wear on track.
- Water + snacks + fold out chair + shade - just general comfort must haves.

Have fun!
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      08-08-2020, 03:37 PM   #305
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good afternoon gents.

I just booked a august 30th track day at NYST. This will be the first course I attend on my M2C. I have an idea of things to do to prep. I'm writing here to see what people do that have frequent track days.

My car has the following

-full bolt ons
-bootmod3 time stage 2

-bc coils
-front sway from afe

I've ordered fresh oil and csf heat exchanger. Do you guys recommend anything else ?

Gloves?
Fire extinguisher?

Brake fluid is a must. Castrol SRF or Motul 600 are popular choices.

Proper high temp brake pads are also required. I use PFC08 now on my OG M2 with great success. They seem to be able to stop the rotation of the earth with no fade, and I have 6 days on them so far with more than 50% of pad remaining.

Outside of that the car should be fire and forget. Bring extra fluids just in case, and a tq wrench to check lug nuts.

I personally don't do gloves or fire extinguisher, but certainly can't hurt.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 02:24 AM   #306
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Good afternoon gents.

My car has the following

-full bolt ons
-bootmod3 time stage 2

-bc coils
-front sway from afe

Gloves?
Fire extinguisher?

I find gloves a must, but I also get sweaty hands so YMMV on how useful gloves are. I also have racing booties and also find them a must, the thin sole and rounded heel gives much better control of the pedals.

Fresh oil never hurts, same with brake fluid. CSF heat exchanger may be redundant (and from other post here its effectivness is in doubt). I would upgrade to "real" track pads as the DS2500 suffers under high heat. I would bring a jack and swap pads at the track.

My personl advice down tune the car (use the TQ by gear in Bootmod). The S55 is very torquey and if you run it stage 2 (as a novice) you are only going to give the TC a workout and wear out your rear pads. Coming out of the corners you will have to do a lot more throttle management which will ultimately make you slower. I regularly pull away from my friends stage 1 F80 coming out of corners in my pretty much bone stock M2C

I also would recommend the same tires rear to front as the dynamics at the limit can be sketchy with missmatched tires (been there done that). You have to remember they will heat up differently and have differing grip.

Lastly, if it your first time get an instructor! This will help you learn and be fast much sooner than if you start out on your own.

Oh and find a generic track prep list and follow that for the tech stuff.
      08-10-2020, 03:10 AM   #307
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Good afternoon gents.

My car has the following

-full bolt ons
-bootmod3 time stage 2

-bc coils
-front sway from afe

Gloves?
Fire extinguisher?

I don't see camber plates on your list. That would be my next mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 08:27 AM   #308
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
There's my answer.

Curious, what times were you running at Autobahn?
Appreciate 0