BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > BMW M2 V8 MARC - Testing at Spa-Francorchamps!

04-07-2017, 06:24 AM   #23
RyanRBurt
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i F20 Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by riottyp View Post
saw it in person last weekend.
Couldn't tell if 235iR oder M2. The only thing that made me wonder is the 8 gearbox.
It even has the M2 emblem on the kidney. But in the official list, it was listed as an M2!
Page 5 in the .pdf

They run an Albins six-speed transaxle sequential gearbox. They've been running these cars for years as focus' and Mazda 3's here in Aus

For anyone interested, here's their website http://www.marccarsaustralia.com.au
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 07:30 AM   #24
AntDX316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 750xi ///M Performance

With a pit road speed limiter too and race grade TC. They even modded the hazards to work more interestingly when the limiter is on. Brilliant engineers.

They should take M2s and mod them to this full upgrade package. It would be nice they worked with BMW and made another division like Alpina. BMW doesn't even bother to do this. I think the only real GT they sell is the M6 GT3.

If anything, the engine and trans doesn't even need to be swapped. Even the stripping and reinforcing of the frame. Could just sell the entire exterior parts as a package. Then sell the rest as a package of each individually.

I think people buy the M2s for their size and agility. I assume if the M2 had xDrive and tuned to 600hp with this full exterior package it would rival Lamborghini's easy. I think this is also far better than the M4 GTS.

I want to see more vids of what I'm talking about in reality.

This was one of the best if not the best total car mod I've ever seen. It's what happens when you take a standard factory vehicle and max it to a full superior potential. How everything should be.

Last edited by AntDX316; 04-07-2017 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #25
RyanRBurt
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i F20 Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
With a pit road speed limiter too and race grade TC. They even modded the hazards to work more interestingly when the limiter is on. Brilliant engineers.

They should take M2s and mod them to this full upgrade package. It would be nice they worked with BMW and made another division like Alpina. BMW doesn't even bother to do this. I think the only real GT they sell is the M6 GT3.

If anything, the engine and trans doesn't even need to be swapped. Even the stripping and reinforcing of the frame. Could just sell the entire exterior parts as a package. Then sell the rest as a package of each individually.

I think people buy the M2s for their size and agility. I assume if the M2 had xDrive and tuned to 600hp with this full exterior package it would rival Lamborghini's easy. I think this is also far better than the M4 GTS.

I want to see more vids of what I'm talking about in reality.

This was one of the best if not the best total car mod I've ever seen. It's what happens when you take a standard factory vehicle and max it to a full superior potential. How everything should be.
I know what you're saying, but the only thing this has to do with an M235i is the shell. It's not a modded M235i. You can run whatever body you please on these Imola chassis
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2017, 09:03 AM   #26
m3welt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

So much money for such a strange swap. Probably still cheaper than any factory GT M car tho haha
84 R100 RT Café Racer

Past:
2005 E46 ZCP M3 Silver Grey 6MT
1998 E36 M3 Silver 5MT
1968 E10 2002 Roundie Grey 4MT
2018 F87 M2 BSM 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #27
mookie45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW 340i M-Sport

This is pretty epic!
      04-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #28
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanRBurt View Post
They run an Albins six-speed transaxle sequential gearbox. They've been running these cars for years as focus' and Mazda 3's here in Aus

Interesting that they have a lineart drawing showcasing an M6 GT3 at the top of their homepage... Hrmmmm Maybe they're looking to expand their BMW silhouette offering. The M235iR is a nice start. It looks fantastic, and sounds the business.

EDIT: Doh. Looks like they run an M6 GT3 in some Australian series, which admittedly, I do not follow.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #29
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Uh, bad news for ya There is zero "standard factory vehicle" in this bad boy. I know it's been said before, but I feel like the thread needs some detail directly in it so everyone understands what they're looking at here.

MARC Cars
Manufacturer of race cars. They do not make or modify street cars (none found on their website, anyway).

OK, so what are these race cars?

Chassis: Tubular spaceframe
Engine: Ford Coyote 5.0L V8 tuned to 500 HP
Transmission: 6-Speed sequential transaxle by Albins
Suspension: Unequal length double A-arm with push-rod coilovers and 4-way adjustable dampers

Bare Chassis Render

What this car is NOT

Not a swap.

Not a modified M2.

Not a modified M235iR.

Not a BMW (except for the body panels).

Not a street car.

Last edited by bradleyland; 04-07-2017 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 3
      04-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #30
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 FIREORANGE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click821 View Post
The fire coming from the side exhaust pipes are sick
Always a fan
BMWPhotoVin, 01of01, GTS DCT, EPS, MDM,
CS EDC,Analog Dip ,GTS parts.
Euro Vin e30 M3, FIA cage / 14.7 p / w ratio.
Euro E30 touring G30 MSport i3s LBB X5M
3.2carrera

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClRTsfNzuz_EjUBu59UCykA
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 01:43 PM   #31
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Great video on the tech underneath this car. The presenter even mentions that it "could be a BMW 3-series"... Off by 1, mate!

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 01:44 PM   #32
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I would say that this means we'll see a 2-series GTC entry at Bathurst 12!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 03:37 PM   #33
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
They should take M2s and mod them to this full upgrade package. ...

It's what happens when you take a standard factory vehicle and max it to a full superior potential. How everything should be.
So, you think BMW should gut out EVERYTHING from underneath a set of M235 body panels and put in a Ford motor and tubular frame?

Wouldn't it be easier to just bolt on a set of M235 body panels to a completely unrelated chassis and motor? (which is what was done)

There is nothing BMW here but a set of body panels! So what "full upgrade" package are you talking about?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 11:47 PM   #34
Nar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i 6MT

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
This reminds me of an updated and more track oriented 1MRAZE 135i
      04-08-2017, 01:47 PM   #35
AntDX316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
So, you think BMW should gut out EVERYTHING from underneath a set of M235 body panels and put in a Ford motor and tubular frame?

Wouldn't it be easier to just bolt on a set of M235 body panels to a completely unrelated chassis and motor? (which is what was done)

There is nothing BMW here but a set of body panels! So what "full upgrade" package are you talking about?
oh, :(

nice information

I mean, I think the MARC car is better than all of what BMW has to offer except for the M6 GT3? How much are they anyway? Also I assume they cannot ever be street legal because they didn't bother implementing research and development for all the anti-pollution elements required by DOT?

Last edited by AntDX316; 04-08-2017 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #36
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
oh,

nice information

I mean, I think the MARC car is better than all of what BMW has to offer except for the M6 GT3? How much are they anyway? Also I assume they cannot ever be street legal because they didn't bother implementing research and development for all the anti-pollution elements required by DOT?
I dunno about "better". That's kind of an odd way to think about it. These are race cars, so it's more a matter of the intended purpose. What makes one race car better than another? When I think of a good race car, I think of a race car that can win races in its class. I think of a car that drivers love, and fans lust after.

BMW has made some fantastic race cars, and is introducing more (M4 GT4 next year, new GTE car coming in 2018). I could make a pretty solid argument that the M6 GT3/GTLM is a worse race car than the MARC though.

Don't forget about the M4 DTM. That's probably BMW's most technologically advanced race car. It uses the DTM chassis, which is a carbon-fibre monocoque. It's worth noting that DTM cars use a standardized chassis though, so underneath the M4 DTM is basically the same car as a Mercedes DTM car (excluding the engine). In that way, the M4 DTM is actually similar to the MARC; they offer the MARC with Mazda 3 and Ford Focus bodywork, but it's the same chassis (and engine) underneath.

MARC cars race often race in their own class. They used to be in a class similar to GT4, but with a tube frame and 500 HP V8, they're lot more serious (hardware wise) than most GT4 hardware.

I have no idea what one of these MARC cars cost, but with most racing series, the most significant costs aren't the tires, it's the operating costs: tires, brakes, engines, transmissions, and staffing. It costs a lot to go racing. MARC advertises their cars as a fraction of the cost of a GT3 car, and GT3 cars cost around $350k

As far as street use goes. Go ahead and wipe that thought out of your mind. These are race cars. Period. At no point in the development of the car was road registration ever considered, so no VIN, no DOT compliance, no emissions systems, no nothing having to do with the street. The only way I could see this being registered is if you could sneak it through in some state with really loose registration requirements, like Florida or Michigan. Even that would be a stretch. You've got to come up with a VIN, and that requires the cooperation of a federally registered manufacturer. Good luck with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 05:24 PM   #37
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Does this mean a ford v8 is better options than bmw's s55 for racing. :
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #38
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrid3r View Post
Does this mean a ford v8 is better options than bmw's s55 for racing. :
Well, this car is made by MARC, not BMW, so take that for what it's worth. MARC uses the same engine and chassis in all their cars.

The Coyote is no joke though. Great power and torque in a modern design, multi-valve V8.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 02:01 AM   #39
AntDX316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
I dunno about "better". That's kind of an odd way to think about it. These are race cars, so it's more a matter of the intended purpose. What makes one race car better than another? When I think of a good race car, I think of a race car that can win races in its class. I think of a car that drivers love, and fans lust after.

BMW has made some fantastic race cars, and is introducing more (M4 GT4 next year, new GTE car coming in 2018). I could make a pretty solid argument that the M6 GT3/GTLM is a worse race car than the MARC though.

Don't forget about the M4 DTM. That's probably BMW's most technologically advanced race car. It uses the DTM chassis, which is a carbon-fibre monocoque. It's worth noting that DTM cars use a standardized chassis though, so underneath the M4 DTM is basically the same car as a Mercedes DTM car (excluding the engine). In that way, the M4 DTM is actually similar to the MARC; they offer the MARC with Mazda 3 and Ford Focus bodywork, but it's the same chassis (and engine) underneath.

MARC cars race often race in their own class. They used to be in a class similar to GT4, but with a tube frame and 500 HP V8, they're lot more serious (hardware wise) than most GT4 hardware.

I have no idea what one of these MARC cars cost, but with most racing series, the most significant costs aren't the tires, it's the operating costs: tires, brakes, engines, transmissions, and staffing. It costs a lot to go racing. MARC advertises their cars as a fraction of the cost of a GT3 car, and GT3 cars cost around $350k

As far as street use goes. Go ahead and wipe that thought out of your mind. These are race cars. Period. At no point in the development of the car was road registration ever considered, so no VIN, no DOT compliance, no emissions systems, no nothing having to do with the street. The only way I could see this being registered is if you could sneak it through in some state with really loose registration requirements, like Florida or Michigan. Even that would be a stretch. You've got to come up with a VIN, and that requires the cooperation of a federally registered manufacturer. Good luck with that.
That's actually a great idea. I would have never thought of that, going to a state to register with loose registration requirements then park the car somewhere else in the country. Also have to make sure the insurance covers other states then.

I was looking at this video, reading the comments, and thinking if it had the MARC complete race car and it has Prius as the panels it would be awesome.

Seems like it's been done tho
https://www.google.com/search?q=priu...XhJ_gcN7BC2mM:
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 02:18 AM   #40
riottyp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanRBurt View Post

Ah, i meant the the black M2 in Germany from Team Schirmer not the MARC V8.
But thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 08:20 AM   #41
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

that sound

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #42
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
That's actually a great idea. I would have never thought of that, going to a state to register with loose registration requirements then park the car somewhere else in the country. Also have to make sure the insurance covers other states then.
Um... You also need a LEGAL RESIDENCE in the "other" state. You just can't "go to another state" to register a vehicle...
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #43
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I cannot overstate how hard it would be to register this thing. Even if you live in a state with permissive registration laws, you're going to face a tremendous amount of scrutiny during registration. For example, when registering a home-build car in Florida, the state requires you to provide details about how you made the car, including receipts for all the parts, and a signed affidavit. That means you have two options:

A) Simply give them the receipt for the MARC, in which case they're going to laugh at you.

B) Lie on the affidavit, which would be really dumb, because you can go to jail.

C) Talk MARC in to selling you the car as a kit (not fully assembled), making sure that you fully understand the kit car registration requirements for the state. Then cross your fingers that you get a kind registration clerk.

Go visit the Factory Five forums some time, or simply google "register factory five car". Look at all the hassle those guys go through, and then consider that Factory Five is as supportive as they possibly can be. There are guys who buy a car, and simply cannot register it.

Race car. Period.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #44
AntDX316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Um... You also need a LEGAL RESIDENCE in the "other" state. You just can't "go to another state" to register a vehicle...
What if you get a cheap trailer home in another state just to get registration rights?
Appreciate 0