BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Carbon ceramic brakes: why (not) getting the 2NK option (M-CCB) ?

Yesterday, 11:55 AM   #111
LukasM2CS
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS, BMW 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M2CS View Post
CCB brakes have uneven qualities:
I had a 458 Italia in 2014 in 3 track days they were dead !!!! 13 k €!
Fortunately, on the Speciale and Pista we can do 20 to 30 track days !
BMW CCBs are like those of the 458 Italia! they wear out very quickly 13k € to replace them!
They are not made for the track, as the people from the Motorsport department have confirmed to me, so it's a pleasure purchase that reduces unsprung masses and avoids pad dust.
Only road use !
That’s all

Another very similar anecdote: my Ferrari dealer absolutely wanted me to take the option of carbon rims (manufactured by Carbon revolution in Australia) they reduce the weight of forged rims by 20% but .... they are very fragile! the varnish comes off in intensive use and is irreparable in case of impact!
30 k€ to replace them !

Interesting Isn’t it ?
I totally agree with you. CCB reduce weight (looks good), works very good for normal use but you must be very careful on track days. One friend of my have M2CS with CCB and after 3 track days (normal careful driving - same as me with normal brakes) he have to replace 2 sets of brake pads and now eve the disc don't look very good. He will definitely replace the CCB.
It's simple, if they were as good as they say so why wouldn't they have them on M2CS Racing
Appreciate 2
///M2CS328.00
kepler1280.50

Yesterday, 11:59 AM   #112
///M2CS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

https://www.brembo.com/en

Last edited by ///M2CS; Yesterday at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:16 PM   #113
///M2CS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM2CS View Post
I totally agree with you. CCB reduce weight (looks good), works very good for normal use but you must be very careful on track days. One friend of my have M2CS with CCB and after 3 track days (normal careful driving - same as me with normal brakes) he have to replace 2 sets of brake pads and now eve the disc don't look very good. He will definitely replace the CCB.
It's simple, if they were as good as they say so why wouldn't they have them on M2CS Racing
Exactly !
CCB discs last 3 track days you should know !!!
13 k€

Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #114
kepler
Drittes Pedal ist Pflicht
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon...M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM2CS View Post
Quote:
Exactly !
CCB discs last 3 track days you should know !!!
13 k€
The irony is that any benefit in braking is going to be much more noticeable on the track.
2003 E46 M3 Carbon Black on Black 6MT - Sold
PORSCHE: Numerous 911's/GT3's over the last 20 years, and a 981 GT4.
Appreciate 1
///M2CS328.00

Yesterday, 12:48 PM   #115
///M2CS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yesterday, 12:48 PM   #116
Acetech
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 M3. 98 M3. 11 1M

Come on this is total BS, it's hearsay stories like this that get the misinformation going.
As a track veteran and service professional I can tell you I've never seen this happen.
For example I've a friend with a M4 GTS that's 4 years old got over 20 thousand miles and 5 or more track days, his pads are just past 50% worn and his rotors are just fine.
Another customer with a 997 GT3, 10 or more track days per year 4 years no issues, I replaced his pads annually at approximately 50%
Simple rule, occasionally tracking CCBs is fine. If your a track rat doing 20 plus days a year then steel is the smartest choice unless you've got enough $$$ that you don't mind the expense
Appreciate 1
BishUK392.50

Yesterday, 12:50 PM   #117
///M2CS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
The irony is that any benefit in braking is going to be much more noticeable on the track.
this is indeed paradoxical and makes these BMW carbon discs a marketing product some in this forum have been fooled by this proving that dealers are very good at selling unnecessary options

Yesterday, 12:53 PM   #118
///M2CS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acetech View Post
Come on this is total BS, it's hearsay stories like this that get the misinformation going.
As a track veteran and service professional I can tell you I've never seen this happen.
For example I've a friend with a M4 GTS that's 4 years old got over 20 thousand miles and 5 or more track days, his pads are just past 50% worn and his rotors are just fine.
Another customer with a 997 GT3, 10 or more track days per year 4 years no issues, I replaced his pads annually at approximately 50%
Simple rule, occasionally tracking CCBs is fine. If your a track rat doing 20 plus days a year then steel is the smartest choice unless you've got enough $$$ that you don't mind the expense
you are very poorly placed to answer you know what a conflict of interest is I guess
      Yesterday, 12:56 PM   #119
george.ax
Private
Rep
Drives: E28 535i >E39 528iT >E39 540i6

Quote:
this is indeed paradoxical and makes these BMW carbon discs a marketing product some in this forum have been fooled by this proving that dealers are very good at selling unnecessary options
To my SA's credit, he discussed it with the knowledgeable staff at the dealership and advised me against CCBs. I had told him the car will be year-round use. They advised I would likely be unhappy with cold/wet performance.
Appreciate 1
kepler1280.50

Yesterday, 12:59 PM   #120
Acetech
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
you are very poorly placed to answer you know what a conflict of interest is I guess
I don't understand what you mean?
I have no potential benefit in any outcome
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:59 PM   #121
///M2CS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.ax View Post
To my SA's credit, he discussed it with the knowledgeable staff at the dealership and advised me against CCBs. I had told him the car will be year-round use. They advised I would likely be unhappy with cold/wet performance.
finally a supposed opinion outside the marketing discourse!
      Yesterday, 01:03 PM   #122
///M2CS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't understand what you mean?
I have no potential benefit in any outcome
I am not a car professional but I do 10 track days a year with a share with all the other participants if carbon discs were the panacea, it would be known
      Yesterday, 01:07 PM   #123
Acetech
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My post is in response to the suggestion that 3 mild track days would result in 2 pad replacements and potential rotor damage.
Im not debating about tracking superiority.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:13 PM   #124
///M2CS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My post is in response to the suggestion that 3 mild track days would result in 2 pad replacements and potential rotor damage.
Im not debating about tracking superiority.
Ok you’re right mild track days are not a problem
But in mild use what’s the interest of CCB brakes vs Steel brakes ?
      Yesterday, 01:16 PM   #125
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [5.00]

This has been debated over and over again. Good to see more input but as far as I can tell it comes down to this:

1. Price?
2. Track rat? Better to not select them. Street car? then see question 1.

My car will spend most of it's time in the canyons, so I'm excited to have the lightest M2 possible (going with MT also) and no brake dust on the gold wheels.
      Yesterday, 01:24 PM   #126
///M2CS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post

This has been debated over and over again. Good to see more input but as far as I can tell it comes down to this:

1. Price?
2. Track rat? Better to not select them. Street car? then see question 1.

My car will spend most of it's time in the canyons, so I'm excited to have the lightest M2 possible (going with MT also) and no brake dust on the gold wheels.
for your use it is consistent