Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_550 View Post
The PDF link seems to be gone, or for some reason not showing for me. Can someone repost or point me to where I can find it? Thanks!
The link is visible for me and downloaded just fine but I'll repost it for you. Ensuring credit where it belongs, GregoryK created this pdf!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW Front Bumper removal and Strip down.pdf (1.27 MB, 193 views)
      10-30-2020, 03:30 PM   #24
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmurf View Post
Quote:
The PDF link seems to be gone, or for some reason not showing for me. Can someone repost or point me to where I can find it? Thanks!
The link is visible for me and downloaded just fine but I'll repost it for you. Ensuring credit where it belongs, GregoryK created this pdf!
Thanks, but still not showing for me. :
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 09:10 PM   #25
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Not showing for me either
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 10:27 AM   #26
Hawkdriver
Private
Rep

Garage List
2016 M2  [10.00]
This thread is GREAT! I had a hard off on the track recently and the bumper is "less than ideal" to say the least after my mistake.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 08:17 AM   #27
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Getting ready to remove the front bumper today. I read the PDF by @GregoryK and tips by @Nezil but didn't see mention of the park distance control sensors. How are these attached to the bumper? Any special trick to remove these?

(I have a 2020 USA car without headlamp washers)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 10:39 AM   #28
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So, there is a connector for the PDC sensors that needs to be disconnected. On my car, it is on the passenger side (left-hand drive car). Very easy to unplug once the bumper is slightly off the car. It's the plug on the right with white and blue wiring.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 11:24 AM   #29
dtmurf
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Getting ready to remove the front bumper today. I read the PDF by @GregoryK and tips by @Nezil but didn't see mention of the park distance control sensors. How are these attached to the bumper? Any special trick to remove these?

(I have a 2020 USA car without headlamp washers)
Glad you got it worked out. Front PDC on the M2 came with the M2C and I believe both GregoryK and Nezil have LCI M2s (2018) so no front PDC wiring to worry about. Mine is an OG '17 M2 so also without front PDC but I retrofitted a front camera after 'an incident'.
      08-31-2021, 10:33 PM   #30
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 BASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nish4 View Post
I did remove the bumper this week with the help of Nezil. Taking the wheels off would make it a lot easier. I did not have a jack, so I did it without removing the wheels. The three screws holding the bumper and the fender are the trickiest. Make sure that you have a 8mm socket with a very small handle (like 2inch). I had a big one and it was pretty difficult with that. Again if you take the wheels you don't have to worry about this.

Couple of tips while putting back.
1. make sure you put the holder near the kidney grills' in the right direction. I put it wrong way and I had to take bumper off to fix it.
2. if you don't remove the headlight washer piping, make sure its of the correct length.

Let me write up another post on why I did this.
Which holder are you talking about? Im having hard time reinstalling it lol
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 11:18 PM   #31
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 BASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
I could use the DIY since lidar jammer and remote radar head placement is much easier with the bumper off.
I don't have any photos, but the ISTA+ description is pretty good if you have that.

I'll try and give a few pointers that weren't that obvious when taking it off myself. It's pretty fresh in my mind because I helped nish4 take his bumper off and put it back on again several times over the last couple of days (long story, I'll let him say why if he wants).

It is by far easier to remove if you have the front wheels removed. nish4 didn't do this, and it didn't make it impossible at all, but quite a bit more annoying and fiddly. This will have the side effect of raising the front of the car a bit as well because you'll have it on a Quick Jack or axle stands, which also helps with the screws underneath.

The second thing that's worth removing is the front inner wheel arch plastic cover. It's held in with about 6 8mm self tapping screws, and when removed, makes it really easy to see inside the back of the front bumper.

The third thing worth removing, is the front lower plastic cover under the bumper. You've got to remove most of the screws (again 8mm self tapping) where they attach to the bumper anyway, so just remove the ones at the rear and pull that piece off. Sliding the bumper on again afterwards is easier if you're not trying to align this piece as well.

Before removing any other screws, unclip the headlight washers and temperature sensor on the drivers side (LHD vehicles). The covers have to be un-clipped from the washers first, which isn't difficult, but a little scary. Use something like a credit card slid under the covers to pull the jets out, and you'll see that they un-clip really easily. Once the covers are off, there are two tabs on the back side of the jets that when lifted, allow the jet to slide out with the piping attached. I have found that there is no need to disconnect the piping and loose the washer fluid, and I've done this a few times now. Just slide out the jets and make sure the piping isn't hooked up on anything behind the bumper before you pull it off.

Once you've got those parts removed, there are 3 long 8mm screws at the top sides of the bumper by the headlights, which screw into plastic brackets sandwiching the bumper to the fender. It's a clever design with moulded pins that also align the sandwich together so you can't really get it mis-aligned when you're re-fitting.

I'd suggest leaving the top Torx screws to last, so that you're not worrying about having the bumper fall off while you're fiddling under the wheel arches for the other screws.

Once all of the screws are out, you've slid out the washer jets and disconnected the temp sensor, you should be able to pull the bumper off pretty easily. There is a pipe going from the passenger washer jet (LHD vehicles) to the driver side jet that's clipped in to the bumper. You can remove the bumper with this clipped in and place the bumper on some towels etc. Then remove the pipe from the clips and it's totally free.

The only other tip I have is that when re-installing, remove the main grills first, and place the center support in the highest position before you start. You can then push down the support easily through the grill hole as the last step. Don't mess up and put this center support on too low or upside down, or you'll have to remove the whole bumper again to get it off and back in the correct highest position.

Best of luck!
Which center support? You're saying don't put the kidney grill first? Having hard time reinstalling it lol.
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0