BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Garmin Catalyst - anyone tried it?

09-05-2020, 04:03 AM   #1
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garmin Catalyst - anyone tried it?

Garmin states some pretty revolutionary claims, will it work as promised?

Not only will it show on the screen where on the lap you have the possibility to improve, and how. It will actually talk to you out on the track and tell you where and how to do it. Bold claims! To be honest this initially sounded like it would work equally as well as your five year old car's speech recognition or systems for automated translation or other not so perfect modern stuff. But then Ross "Speed Secrets" Bentley wrote about the Catalyst, not only saying general positive things about it, but telling about a test he did where HE cut 0,9 seconds of HIS laptime following the advice the Catalyst said in the car! So.... it might be a real thing?

I'll get a loaner for a review in a few weeks but I'm very curious if anyone has seen or tested it?
Appreciate 2
bentom2335.50
Megator517.50
      09-05-2020, 06:56 AM   #2
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Following...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 08:08 AM   #3
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Info:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/690726
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ZM22809.00
      09-05-2020, 08:11 AM   #4
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

From Ross Bentley's emaillist

Quote:
I think you know that I don't like to waste your time by sending you emails about things that you can't use. I hate spammy emails more than anyone! So, I only send messages when I have something important to share with you. Today, is one of those times.

Over the past couple of years, I've been consulting with Garmin (yes, the watch, avionics, marine, GPS, etc. company) on a product for motorsport, and it's just been announced. To say I'm excited about it is an understatement!

It's called the Garmin Catalyst, and it's kinda creating a new category within what might be considered the data/telemetry world. They define it as a driving performance optimizer. To me, it's like what snowboarding was to skiing. Sure, both sports involved sliding down a snow-covered mountain, but they're different. And sure, the Garmin Catalyst uses data, but it's focused on helping you be a better driver and really optimize your time on the track.
Quick story: Not quite a year ago, I spent two full days driving at Heartland Park, focused on providing feedback on the usability of the Catalyst. For me, it was a blast! Two days of having a car and track to myself, and all I had to do was drive consistently at the limit and give feedback on how the Catalyst product worked for me. After all that track time, to say that I was comfortable driving at the limit was an understatement - I knew the car and track well. Towards the very end of the second day, I set out with one objective: to listen to the Catalyst - to have it coach me on what to do to be an even better driver. It told me to focus on three things (Opportunity 1, 2 & 3), and I did. After just half a dozen laps, I had knocked 0.9 seconds off my very best lap time! I was shocked. I thought I was already driving the car at its limit, and yet the Catalyst found almost a full second for me.

As author James Clear says, "When feedback is immediate, clear, and concrete, people learn quickly. When feedback is delayed, abstract, and opaque, people rarely learn." That's the problem with most data systems - you don't get the feedback until you're back in the paddock, where you can't do much about it (then you have to pull out the laptop, and interpret a bunch of squiggly lines on a screen). With the Garmin Catalyst, feedback is immediate, real-time, when you can do something about it.

I'm a huge proponent of using data to help improve one's driving, but I've always felt that these data systems were designed by engineers, for engineers, and us drivers had to adapt them to help us improve our driving. The Garmin Catalyst is designed first by drivers, for drivers. It's a driver's tool. It's like having a driver coach, like me, with you at all times - in the car, and between on-track sessions.

No, don't worry, I'm not changing careers and becoming a salesperson for Garmin! But, having been involved in the development of the Catalyst, I'm proud of what it does. It's going to revolutionize our track-driving world.

Check it out by clicking here.

Keep learning and having fun!

Ross
Appreciate 1
ZM22809.00
      09-05-2020, 08:12 AM   #5
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Bold claims from Garmin themselves but who knows?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 10:26 AM   #6
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Looks very interesting. I haven't seen a way to layer OBD data, tho.

BTW, what kind of car is that guy sitting in? https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/690726

Also, watch some of support vids here. This thing looks pretty sweet! https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?pr...726&tab=topics

Even tho I drive solo, I always prefer someone in the car giving me continuous feedback, and data to review afterward. To get really good feedback this usually requires a full rig of gear and someone who is actually a really good teacher (not just an “instructor”).

Considering COVID restrictions and the simplicity of a device like this, it seems well worth a trial!

Now, who has the best deal on one?

Last edited by ZM2; 09-05-2020 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 2
bentom2335.50
CrashFL137.50
      09-05-2020, 11:05 AM   #7
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Ross’s email had me intrigued. Went and looked at all the info Garmin has published, including a series of YouTube videos about various features. I’m very interested to see some real world feedback on it.

Getting a live coach in the car next year is seeming less likely, so maybe this could be the next best thing.

MagnusT and anyone else that gets early access, please do share a review. I’m on the fence and will probably order over the winter when my track budget isn’t being consumed by track fees, tires and brakes.
Appreciate 2
ZM22809.00
CrashFL137.50
      09-05-2020, 11:09 AM   #8
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I'd be much more impressed if they integrated car telemetry into it via canbus. I don't see this replacing my aim solo 2 dl.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 11:40 AM   #9
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
I'd be much more impressed if they integrated car telemetry into it via canbus. I don't see this replacing my aim solo 2 dl.
Both Bentley and Krause, who has written about it too, are very clear, this is a complement to AIM.

There is no OBD2 or CAN integration in the Catalyst
Appreciate 1
ZM22809.00
      09-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #10
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusT View Post
Both Bentley and Krause, who has written about it too, are very clear, this is a complement to AIM.

There is no OBD2 or CAN integration in the Catalyst
To MagnusT ’s point, here’s a response to a similar question from Krause. A friend of mine found this and shared it. I’m not sure where from.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ZM22809.00
      09-05-2020, 11:53 AM   #11
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
If I had a solo 2 and smarty cam setup in the M2 like we do in the race cars and multiple drivers in a weekend to compare throttle, braking, etc, I’d agree. And I certainly wouldn’t replace a current AiM setup with this.

But, for a DE weekend in my street car, it’s hard to beat the pure simplicity in this. The optimal vs other lap video and segment comparison features of the Garmin are way easier to work with (and better in certain ways), especially since you don’t have to futz with the laptop.

Could I get an additional 0.1s with the solo 2 & smarty cam with OBD? Yeah probably. But I’ll spend a lot less time getting to 99% my fastest possible time with the Garmin, especially on a more casual DE weekend vs a race weekend.
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      09-05-2020, 12:22 PM   #12
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My wife had a Solo2 DL installed in her Cayman over the winter. So far, it has served as a really expensive lap timer. I think I get more out of Harry’s at this point. She just started trying to dive into the data using track attack a few weeks ago. I looked over her shoulder and the squiggly lines, days later it seems like more than I have the patience to decipher. There’s a steep learning curve, and a certain personality type to fully benefit from raw telemetry.

I resemble the person Krause is talking about in the quote I posted above. The Garmin appears to operate at my level, and more importantly, in the moment, so I can take advantage of the information it provides.

I think being able to experiment with several lines through a particular section on successive laps in a session, then spot what worked without having to pit, plug in to a laptop, compare, then go back out and try to remember what you wanted to change, will accelerate progress and learning by quite a bit.

Or at least that’s what I hope. I’m doing a good job of convincing my self to buy one.
Appreciate 1
ZM22809.00
      09-05-2020, 01:29 PM   #13
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Making me rethink my Apex Pro, although the new video sync with Apex is sweet!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 04:43 PM   #14
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
I've been using a Aim Solo DL 2 with an original Smarty Cam for several years now.

I agree 100% with ZM2 that the Garmin product for almost everyone on these boards is a great new performance toy.

Its $1700 for the DL & SM together.

This is $1000.

The AIM unit has tooooo much info but very useful for drivers looking to find that last little bit of time. Otherwise this Garmin unit looks like a great tool.

I'm going to sell my SOLO DL 2 and pick one of these up. My Smarty Cam crapped out 2 yrs ago. Can't wait to see how it does Oct 9-10 when I'm up at Tamworth...
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 1
ZM22809.00
      09-09-2020, 04:48 PM   #15
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
I've been using a Aim Solo DL 2 with an original Smarty Cam for several years now.

I agree 100% with ZM2 that the Garmin product for almost everyone on these boards is a great new performance toy.

This is $1000.

The AIM unit has tooooo much info but very useful for drivers looking to find that last little bit of time. Otherwise this Garmin unit looks like a great tool.

I'm going to sell my SOLO DL 2 and pick one of these up. My Smarty Cam crapped out 2 yrs ago. Can't wait to see how it does Oct 9-10 when I'm up at Tamworth...
Definitely want to hear feedback from a seasoned track driver!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 04:55 PM   #16
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Quote:

This is $1000.

While SOLO DL+Gopro is right around 1000 bucks and provide way better video stabilization and comprehensive data analysis.

But LMK if you're really selling the SOLO DL2

Last edited by Fabb; 09-09-2020 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
detroitm22427.50
      09-09-2020, 05:01 PM   #17
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

I'm getting the review unit tomorrow. Looking at the calendar for next day at the track!
Appreciate 2
ZM22809.00
bentom2335.50
      09-09-2020, 05:13 PM   #18
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Keep us posted MAGNUS T!!!
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #19
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
Quote:

This is $1000.

While SOLO DL+Gopro is right around 1000 bucks and provide way better video stabilization and comprehensive data analysis.

But LMK if you're really selling the SOLO DL2
Yeah, I run the solo 2 dl with gopro. The smartcam is trash IMO. for the price, you get 720p video and 30fps with basically no stabilization.

You can get a cheapo hero 5 and do better in the video.

The only advantage to using the Smartycam is the seamless integration of overlays. No need to do it in racerender after the fact.

That being said, the aim software itself is utter trash.

I see the Garmin catalyst and a good tool for those who do not already have an aim setup. It's definately easier to use. But as I mentioned before, I don't see this replacing my solo unit.
Appreciate 2
ZM22809.00
bentom2335.50
      09-10-2020, 01:33 AM   #20
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
....But as I mentioned before, I don't see this replacing my solo unit.
I think that will be the common view

But for someone with no logging at all currently, starting from scratch, a Catalyst only will probably go pretty far
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 05:23 AM   #21
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

This does look interesting. A few thoughts. First, can it plug into my wired Stilo helmet....Bluetooth is of no value while on track. Next, I would like to try it in our Champ car with our fastest driver first....will it then coach the next several drivers to match his laps? This also brings up the helmet plug while also being plugged into my radio...splitter? I currently use the built in MLaptimer for data and it is amazing and free....really helps improve lap times, so not sure how much better this is but will keep an open mind. If Ross likes it it must be good.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #22
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
This does look interesting. A few thoughts. First, can it plug into my wired Stilo helmet....Bluetooth is of no value while on track. Next, I would like to try it in our Champ car with our fastest driver first....will it then coach the next several drivers to match his laps? This also brings up the helmet plug while also being plugged into my radio...splitter? I currently use the built in MLaptimer for data and it is amazing and free....really helps improve lap times, so not sure how much better this is but will keep an open mind. If Ross likes it it must be good.
Look for a Bluetooth receiver to connect the helmet
Appreciate 0