BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS delivery - USA (MB - M-DCT - 2NH - BLK 763M - PSS)

01-18-2021, 12:58 PM   #1
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
M2 CS delivery - USA (MB - M-DCT - 2NH - BLK 763M - PSS)

This has been an interesting journey . . . where do I begin? This could get long.

Ancient background....
Long before I owned a BMW, I was a fan. I was introduced to HPDE by a professional mentor who happened to be a long-time BMWCCA instructor who ran an e30 M3 as a track car. I had limited drag and autocross experience with a '99 Civic Si (Jackson Racing Supercharged) and traded that for a 2005 STi when I started my residency. That caught his attention and he suggested a track day. I was hooked! I did 4 or 5 events with that car, and later had an RX8 which I used for another 4 or 5 events all in the Northeast US. Most events were attended by 60-70% BMWs and a smattering of others including mine. I knew I would eventually have an M car of some kind, but it wasn't in the budget then. I moved to Washington state in 2008 and never got back to the track with the RX-8, partly because BMWCCA isn't as organized here, partly because I had a new baby, and mainly because I was too busy in a new job.

The first BMW purchase: 1M
I was in the right place at the right time to get my 1M, the first BMW I ever owned. In 2011 a foundering BMW franchise in Yakima, WA was only selling about 30 cars per year. Regional management essentially told them to relocate to Tri-Cities or sell the franchise. They sold the franchise and I was surprised to see a Roundel at what had previously been a used car lot near my work. I stopped in to check it out about a month after they had opened, and test drove a used e92 M3. I commented that the car just felt too big, (it was) and the CA said "Well we have a 1M coming in soon." I was very familiar with the 1M, and was aware that they were essentially all spoken for. I hadn't considered buying a BMW before the franchise sale since the closest dealer was 75 miles away. Apparently they had sold 35 cars their first week (a pretty solid gain over the prior ownership) and were rewarded with a full slate of allocations. They were told they had to order the 1M within a week or lose it, so it was on the way and not yet spoken for. "Where do I sign? Here, take my money!"

The 1M Journey
Obviously I had not test driven a 1M. The build quality, creature comforts, amenities, and torque (holy crap, I had forgotten about torque!) were amazing compared to what I was used to. Turn-in and handling balance? Not so much. The RX-8 had lots of room to adjust camber front and rear and I had dialed it in. I was truly surprised that I could not get a "performance alignment" on the front of the 1M. Camber isn't adjustable? Some people reduced the rear camber to get the car to rotate better, but that would actually decrease overall grip....not a great solution. It was a 3 season daily driver and was great fun, but I was always a bit disappointed by its characteristics at the limit. A lot of 1M owners griped about Randy Pobst's review, but I thought he was right.

After a couple seasons of autocross and starting to dabble in track days again (and after 4 years+1 day of ownership, warranty gone) the mod bug bit me. See sig. I have corrected the handling. I have turned up the power. I have beefed up the brakes. It is a monster at the track. I can run in the top group of drivers at lapping days and keep pace with GT3's and GT4's. It has come into its calling as a track car beautifully.....but it isn't a touring car anymore. It is loud. It vibrates at idle (even more so on what would otherwise be a gentle low-rpm launch.) It reveals every imperfection in the road. I still love a blast on the back roads, and my boys love it (they're boys!) but I know I can't take a long cruise with my wife anymore. She used to love road trips in that car as much as she had loved the RX-8. Not anymore. When she is in the car, I am very conscious of what I have done to it. FWIW, she hated the ride quality of the STi, rightfully so, and fortunately my 1M on Ohlins isn't THAT bad.

The search for the "Daily"
In 2018 I leased an X5. Who needs a race car for a daily? I have a weekend toy, so I may as well drive a smooth quiet comfortable behemoth as a daily right? Well, that honeymoon didn't last. It's a great car for what it is, but it just doesn't bring the satisfaction. I also bought an e30 325e manual to teach my oldest to drive. It's a great car, and we did a lot of work to make it a solid reliable daily/tourer, but that honeymoon also didn't last. My wife gave me the green light to start taking my son to the track, and while the e30 is mechanically solid it just isn't suited to that purpose. I didn't want to ruin it by making it so. We bought an RX-8 for less than a season's worth of tires and brakes for the 1M, and he is using that. As a result, he has also lost interest in the e30.

The 2020 F87 CS
I heard rumors about the CS. (Actually, my mentor had also relocated and in his new region his BMWCCA instructor colleagues were shocked and dismayed that he was still tracking his irreplaceable M3. He was already using an S2000 as a 3-season daily. He bought a Golf R for track duty. He mentioned to me about two years ago that he planned to buy an M2CS when it came out.) I didn't think much about the CS myself until it showed up on the BMWUSA website over the summer. Since my X5 lease is ending soon, I was planning to buy something, and actually thought I could be happy with a 5-series, apparently having not learned anything about myself. Once the CS information was there, I never really looked back. I showed the pictures to my wife and kids, all of whom were pretty excited about it. I told my CA to let me know if they got an allocation. He called me in September and told me they had 1 allocation. When I got home, I showed my call history to my wife to see if she would know what it meant that he had called me. "They can get you that car, right? Why did you come home? Get down there and order it!"

I went with DCT because I had a chance to drive a DCT M5 a couple years ago and really liked the feel. The fact that this is likely to be the last M to have a DCT, and the fact that I am keeping the 1M, made that a no brainer for me. It will be a 3-season daily, and honestly some winters will allow use at least a few days a week.

The X5 gets returned in March. The e30 isn't getting used and isn't a collector example, so it is being sold. I will have 4 BMW's in the stable for about 2 months, and then I will be down to just two.....but two of the best ever made. Raise a glass for this CarJunkie.

1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 8
f80_MG562.50
GimmeanM1448.50
19___M2124.50
Davil6467.50
MomoM3984.00
ptgltw3774.50
Hedoniste3820.50
Jimjamz4565.00
      01-18-2021, 12:59 PM   #2
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Delivery day pics....
Attached Images

1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 7
cncmastr1579.00
Davil6467.50
6speed_M23632.50
ptgltw3774.50
Jimjamz4565.00
Hedoniste3820.50
      01-18-2021, 01:01 PM   #3
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
More delivery day pics....
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
cncmastr1579.00
Davil6467.50
ptgltw3774.50
6speed_M23632.50
Jimjamz4565.00
Hedoniste3820.50
      01-18-2021, 01:02 PM   #4
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
A lot of people in various forums have asked me for to compare the 1M and M2cs since I now have both.....Where to start? I needed to organize my thoughts to get started.

Engine:
The 1M's N54 tune (370 ft-lb, 332 hp) felt linear and responsive in stock form, although despite coming from a much lower powered car, I always though it needed a little more. With basic mods and a tune, the car now has what I consider to be the perfect amount of power for a track toy....but of course a larger intercooler and tune that asks for more boost does enhance the lag. The power is more in the midrange (450 ft-lb and 380 hp 5900 rpm at wheels). There is no reason to rev out beyond 6k rpms unless there just isn't enough straight left to make the shift worthwhile. On the flip side, the torque at 3k rpms often eliminates an otherwise necessary downshift. I'll take it.

The S55 as tuned for the CS is more linear, as evidenced at a glance by having more horsepower than torque, and it delivers that to redline with nearly no lag. I recently posted some spreadsheets calculating optimal shift points and it is actually best to rev this baby out to 7k. It is predictable, smooth, and easy to modulate. I don't think the car needs more....the locked DME doesn't bother me a bit.

Verdict:
Advantage M2cs....plenty of power, more than advertised, obviously a more refined twin turbo engine with a volumetrically efficient intake setup, and excellent drivability.

Transmission:
The 1M 6MT was a challenge when new because I had driven manuals all my life and knew what they were supposed to feel like. Installation of a BMS clutch stop and elimination of the CDV made it behave like a "normal" MT, and was easy enough to do, although irritating to have to do that. Before those mods (my only mods until warranty expired), I couldn't make a smooth shift if I tried. Now the clutch action is perfect and the gear changes are quick, light, mechanical and accurate. I love rowing the gears, and rev matching with heel-toe. The pedal position is perfect for heel-toe.

For the CS, I chose the DCT because I wanted a DCT before they (sniff) become extinct in BMWs, and I still have two fun manual cars (including both track cars) to play with. I struggled with the decision a bit, especially with everyone's emphasis here on weight and purity, but now having gotten used to it I have to say I love the DCT. In D2 mode, it reads my mind of how I would drive every day. Set it and forget it. If I am going to go into sequential manual mode, I use S3 since I never use that mode if I am looking for smooth comfort. I want it to just do what I say when I say, and it does. It's awesome. I honestly don't know if I would use D3 or S3 on track....it'll be a few years before I find out.

Verdict:
this one's a tie....can't really compare. They are both great at what they are. While the manual in the 1M is great now, I had to change parts to get there. It not for that, I may have given it a win. I have heard a rumor the CS manual is plagued the same way, but the fixes are now harder. Boo.

Steering feel and responsiveness:
The 1M has the best steering feedback of any car I've owned. This was the case new, and was only enhanced with the solid spherical upper mounts in the camber plates. Turn-in response was lacking when new, but that was really improved with the camber plates. The steering wheel always communicates what is happening under the front of the car, making it easy to find and maintain the limit.

The steering in my 2018 X5 was a clear example of how NOT to program EPS, and driving it back to back with the 1M for the past 3 years really helped me identify what EPS does wrong. The CS EPS is clearly a world ahead, but driving the CS and 1M back to back still demonstrates the difference. The EPS responds to inputs as well as the hydraulic rack in the 1M, but it does not instruct the hands nearly as well....better, but not perfect. I may roil a few feathers here, but I still think the EPS in my 2005 Rx8 is still better at feedback. It's so good, I forgot it was electric and asked the dealer to flush the power steering fluid when I bought the car last year...It comes out of storage today, so I'll be able to compare more soon.

Turn-in response is very crisp in the CS, and it rotates really well. It is difficult to remember precisely, but it is definitely far better than the 1M was stock.

Verdict:
Advantage 1M for steering feel
Advantage CS for turn-in response in stock form.

Mechanical Grip:
The 1M chassis had way too much understeer at the limit, and most efforts to induce rotation with throttle resulted in snap oversteer. It was very difficult to set up the perfect corner without excessive push. I have methodically dialed that out over the years with camber, coilovers, front sway bar, and it is now a very fun corner carver. Amazingly, I think the CS has more mechanical grip that the 1M in its current state. I am certain the chassis would still understeer at the limit, but I have been truly impressed with how well it holds the road at 8/10's, and it is a steadying more grip from the PSS than I expected, being used to PS4S on the 1M.

Verdict:
Advantage CS

Brakes:
CS wins. No further discussion needed.

Road comfort:
The CS in comfort mode is really nice. I don't think the 1M was ever this comfortable, and mine definitely isn't this comfortable now. Even in Sport+, the CS is more comfortable than the street settings on my Ohlins, and the chassis feel nearly as sharp. I commented above on the mechanical grip, and what is most amazing is that it feels more grippy in all chassis modes, despite the better comfort.

Verdict: Advantage CS

Creature comforts:
The seats in the CS offer more lateral support than the 1M seats, but I would say comfort level is similar. I think a true racing seat would be needed for both if the car was going to spend its whole life on the track.

Road noise may actually be worse on the CS....hard to say because the 1M exhaust is louder....but I swear the 1M's tires are quieter despite being worn.

The newer iDrive and Nav features are clearly better in the CS.

I am not sure I love the alcantara steering wheel. I need to grip it more firmly than I like to keep my hands from slipping down, or I need to support the weight of my arms somewhere, either on the bolsters or just hold them up. I may buy a leather performance wheel. I don't miss the armrest at all and may actually delete the armrest from the 1M, so that isn't the issue. I just like having a light grip on leather and letting my arms relax.

I didn't think I would say it....but I miss comfort access. The 1M has it, the X5 had it. Every time I approach the CS, I forget to reach into my pocket for the key until I have pulled unsuccessfully on the door handle. Every time.

The 1M's Harman Kardon sound system is better, has more bass punch, crisper highs, higher overall volume capacity, and 5 band equalizer.

Verdict:
Advantage 1M. Out of the box the 1M was better on creature comforts, but of course I ruined many of it's comfort attributes. This is why I was wanting something as fun out of the box, without needing mods, and found the CS.

Appearance, rarity and "it" factor:
The 1M is a Frankenstein monster with a combination of classic (if Bangle is now classic!) BMW styling and caricatured flares making it clear that hit was an afterthought. The story is as cool as the look. The CS is more subtle while being far more featured. My wife things the 1M will age better with time from a design standpoint. I'm not sure.

I have grown accustomed to seeing people stare and take photos and video while I am driving or parked in public places. Over time, that has faded slightly with the 1M, and it is definitely happening with the CS. With both cars, it seems to be only the people who know what it is who get excited about seeing it.

Verdict:
Advantage 1M. The CS looks amazing, but the bulldog stance of the 1M is hard to beat, and I still think the e46 M3 was the best looking BMW of all time, with a steady decline since then, 1M, CS, and G8x following suit (although the G-series may have fallen off a cliff).

So, here we are with the CS picking up more wins for me, especially when it comes to the driving dynamics. I have tried to remember how the 1M was when stock, as many of the driving dynamics comparisons are much closer (and probably advantage to the 1M) in its current form. It is truly amazing how good the CS is while being so well mannered on the road.

Could I pick an overall winner? No.

Could I choose one to let go of? No.

If a friend had both available to buy in stock form, a brand new CS vs an ultra low mile 1M in mint condition (which would probably sell for at least CS money) which would I recommend he buy? That's easy: The CS.....but only because it isn't possible for him to go back in time and buy the 1M at its original MSRP, or even 5k over which is what I had to pay. So that isn't really an answer, is it?

This was a fun exercise. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.
Appreciate 2
Rev_Hi296.50
      01-18-2021, 01:03 PM   #5
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
XPEL Ultimate + PPF
XPEL Prime XR 70% windshield / 55% everywhere else.
XPEL Fusion+ Ceramic including full wheels/calipers

I'm very happy with the look, and was also ecstatic when watching my installer wash the car today. I have heard the hype about ceramic coat and cleaning ease, but finally got to see it for myself. I had driven in rain twice since the install, and had quite a bit of road spray dirt buildup in all the usual places. He pressure washed with water only, then did a blow dry. It took 25 minutes. Damn. Easy.

The wheels still had a very slight dust layer, and would need soap and a wipe-off to be perfect, but with water only they look like they were perfectly cleaned and then driven 10 miles.

I have bought a Homdox 2500psi, 1.6gpm pressure washer with included detergent tank and a Makita XBU02PT1 18v dual battery blower with flat end nozzle (as recommended by a forum member) and am stoked to do this for myself the first time! I plan to do a water wash and blow dry about once a week, foam cannon with rinse and blow dry followed by wheel detail about once per month, and will refresh the ceramic coat with spray on solution twice per year.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
ptgltw3774.50
Hedoniste3820.50
      01-18-2021, 01:04 PM   #6
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Finally had a chance to get them both out today....my favorite 6 will be here, and I'll add a few more at the end of the thread.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Hedoniste3820.50
swagon13503.50
      01-18-2021, 01:21 PM   #7
killerdeck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2 CS HS, 6-sp, PSS

Amazing journey and story! It is really special that you took the time to find a manual BMW to teach your kiddo. I remember vividly learning how to drive my Dad's 1975 2002 back in the early 90s. It changed my entire perspective on cars and made me a "junkie", as well. Can't wait to read more of your thoughts about the CS.
Appreciate 2
CarJunkie2615.50
      01-18-2021, 01:57 PM   #8
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Huge congrats. I still miss my 1M but am also quite happy with the M2.

The pics with the boys are priceless. They will always remember the day Dad got the crazy blue Bimmer!
Appreciate 2
CarJunkie2615.50
      01-27-2021, 01:59 PM   #9
Skotcoop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post

The pics with the boys are priceless. They will always remember the day Dad got the crazy blue Bimmer!
How would you compare the 2 driving wise?
      01-27-2021, 04:51 PM   #10
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Delivery day pics....
The grin on those faces is simply gold

Yours is an amazing story and I'm truly glad you shared it with us

Well done on all counts
CarJunkie2615.50
      01-27-2021, 05:30 PM   #11
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skotcoop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post

How would you compare the 2 driving wise?
I will definitely post a more detailed comparison after I can drive to CS a little harder, but my initial impressions are that the CS is definitely more capable out of the box. There's no question there is more power and grip is phenomenal. I do think the feedback through the hydraulic steering on the 1M is superior, but even that is hard to say because I can't remember clearly how it felt before I went to coilovers and camber plates (which are essentially a solid upper strut mount). Most of my recent driving in the 1M is at the limit on the track, and it will be a while before I use the CS that way.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2021, 04:35 PM   #12
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
M2 CS delivery - USA (MB - M-DCT - 2NH - BLK 763M - PSS)

Updated post #5 with PPF/tint/ceramic pics and details.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2021, 06:57 PM   #13
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Updated Post #6 with 1M+CS pics....here's a few more....
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
msmatt331.00
GimmeanM1448.50
MomoM3984.00
Hedoniste3820.50
Jimjamz4565.00
      03-04-2021, 07:11 PM   #14
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Great shots! I sometimes wished my 1M was VO! Which exhaust is on your 1M?
      03-04-2021, 07:14 PM   #15
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
Great shots! I sometimes wished my 1M was VO! Which exhaust is on your 1M?
Lightweight Ti
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Hedoniste3820.50
      03-04-2021, 07:27 PM   #16
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Lightweight Ti
Nice. How do you like it? I remember they made both a stainless and a Ti version for the 1M. Just looking up it up now, they make a stainless version for for the M2C:

https://www.lightweight-performance....-CS-p188318125

Not a bad price...
      03-04-2021, 07:35 PM   #17
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
Quote:
Lightweight Ti
Nice. How do you like it? I remember they made both a stainless and a Ti version for the 1M. Just looking up it up now, they make a stainless version for for the M2C:

https://www.lightweight-performance....-CS-p188318125

Not a bad price...
I bought used, and don't even remember what I paid. I have been very happy with it, paired with the MadDad mid pipe.

It's plenty loud. When I pulled the CS back into the garage after taking pics, the 1M was still running, parked outside with exhaust facing the garage. I could hear it's idle over that of the CS from inside the CS with windows closed.
Appreciate 2
GimmeanM1448.50
      03-07-2021, 03:32 AM   #18
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Congratulations! And beautiful these two next to one, both in their launch colors.
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2615.50
      03-07-2021, 05:39 AM   #19
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

Very very nice! You'll be hanging on to those rockets for a while
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2615.50
      03-12-2021, 08:13 PM   #20
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Updated Post #4 with comparison to the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 09:29 PM   #21
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
For the second day in a row, I made myself laugh like a schoolboy on my way home.

Yesterday: Moment of opportunity when a slow moving van merged right on a 45mph road. I was I was in 3rd behind him going about 30. As soon as the lane cleared, I paddled it to 2nd and mashed the pedal. It seemed like I was going 60 instantly. Had to laugh.

Today: had the road to myself as I approached an increase from 35mph to 55mph speed limit. Dropped it to 2nd, accelerated to about 6k rpm and the rear tires chirped on the 2-3 shift. Yes, 3rd gear chirped the PSS's! How do you not just laugh like a kid when that happens?
Appreciate 5
Davil6467.50
RideM317.00
Jimjamz4565.00
MomoM3984.00
      06-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #22
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
We had a gathering of 1M's in Bend Oregon this weekend. We drove down in two cars since a family of 4 (including 2 teenage boys) won't fit comfortably in the 1M with weekend luggage. May as well take two cars!!

I was able to make an observation this morning when taking a look at the trip odometer for both of my cars, both of which were reset when we left home…..

1M: 323 miles driven mostly by me and some by my son, plus about 10 miles of rips up and down the highway near Mt Bachelor by stormchaser7 and MechE which probably used a little extra gas…just a little. 😂 25mpg average!

M2Cs: 313 miles driven by wife and my son in efficient mode, plus perhaps 4-5 miles by me demonstrating some stuff for MechE. 24.2mpg average.

Verdict: the N54 gives more fun with less gas than the S55 with DCT.

It would be interesting to know which one is more thirsty in truly spirited driving.

The trip home will be pretty sedate with identical distance and speed, so I'll see how they compare headed that way.
Appreciate 0