BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > BSM thoughts

01-14-2021, 03:57 PM   #23
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I didn't notice any color mismatch, but honestly I had I'd covered in PPF before I ever looked at it in bright light. I do have a pic that I can post of the front. I can't say Ive noticed it, but look at bumper vs hood. Not sure if it's just reflection angle, but who knows. Just looked in garage with direct light and looks perfectly even. I feel like that is something that would catch my eye. I'm fairly sensitive to it when I see it on other cars.

Last edited by medphysdave; 01-14-2021 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 04:28 PM   #24
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
BSM is stunning on the F87. If you like clean cars but don't like cleaning them then black is not for you. Unless of course you can afford to have it detailed weekly. Whatever you do, DO NOT go through the car wash. Will pick up a ton fine scratches which are quite visible on black.
if you have PPF done on it in full, does that make it something where you can go through a carwash with it?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 04:31 PM   #25
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:
BSM is stunning on the F87. If you like clean cars but don't like cleaning them then black is not for you. Unless of course you can afford to have it detailed weekly. Whatever you do, DO NOT go through the car wash. Will pick up a ton fine scratches which are quite visible on black.
if you have PPF done on it in full, does that make it something where you can go through a carwash with it?
Good question. I would think so but I have never done ppf.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 04:37 PM   #26
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Nooooooo! Don't do that! The ppf will peel up at the edges. Even if hand car wash the guys won't be as gentle on the edges as you would be. The ppf will definitely lift after just a handful of times.

You guys seriously using commercial car washes? Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 04:50 PM   #27
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nooooooo! Don't do that! The ppf will peel up at the edges. Even if hand car wash the guys won't be as gentle on the edges as you would be. The ppf will definitely lift after just a handful of times.

Oh. Got it. Well that sucks .
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 05:05 PM   #28
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
My PPF will have ceramic coat over it, and I was told not to go though car washes. He recommended pressure washer followed by leaf blower to dry it, and that I may need a foaming wash occasionally if exceedingly dirty.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 05:08 PM   #29
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

PPF and ceramic will scratch and swirl just like the normal paint. So far there doesn't seem to be a magic coating that stays intact with a car wash. I wish, I'd be on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 05:11 PM   #30
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No I'm still always asking PPF questions as I weigh what I am doing cause I'm still skeptical about it. If the PPF is to take care of the paint, but I need to "kid glove" the PPF also, I'm personally struggling to see the benefit.

I never take any of my cars through an automated wash, but I do use a handwash. If I can't even use a handwash with PPF cause the guys may damage it, then for me it has no purpose and I'll live with the rock chips.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 05:19 PM   #31
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
No and may I ask why would you want to? Besides if anyone is willing to go thru the process of PPF their entire car, you better believe they or someone will be handwashing it.

True story. My friends mint Henna E30 M3....he was out of the country and his wife decides to do him a solid and take his car thru the automatic car wash to clean it.....Oh man, that didn't end well.

Don't abuse a car you love by letting just anyone touch your car. Hand washes only by knowledgable people. I won't even run my white cargo van thru an automatic car wash. If it's too cold to hand wash it, I'll wait for warmer weather.

It's never too cold to hand wash a sports car thou. I did it in 22 degree temps a few saturdays ago. I had to break the water up as it froze between wash mitt dips.
MomoM3984.00
cncmastr1588.50
      01-14-2021, 05:28 PM   #32
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
No I'm still always asking PPF questions as I weigh what I am doing cause I'm still skeptical about it. If the PPF is to take care of the paint, but I need to "kid glove" the PPF also, I'm personally struggling to see the benefit.

I never take any of my cars through an automated wash, but I do use a handwash. If I can't even use a handwash with PPF cause the guys may damage it, then for me it has no purpose and I'll live with the rock chips.
No one washes my car except for my detailer and myself. That's it. Trust no one and your car will benefit greatly. As for benefits of PPF. I'll give you one example

In my garage a rake fell on my hood. I was sure it damaged the paint because I would see some damage. Nope, the PPF film took all the brunt, we replaced the film with new. No harm no foul. Your results may vary
ScullyD5165.50
MomoM3984.00
F87EVO4031.00
      01-14-2021, 06:36 PM   #33
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Idk. It's not about white gloving the car, it's just there's no situation I'd be in where I'd take my car to an automatic car wash. They don't give af about ppf or not. They're not using 2 bucket. They're using the same water they used on the salty F150 ahead of yours.

Now, when I lived in the city where my car lived in a parking deck, sure I would take to a really really good $20 hand car wash type place but that was because of circumstance.

Just can't expect someone to take care of your things like you will. That's all.

Def get PPF. No not for the next guy. Just depends on whether rock chips will bother you or not. Everything bothers me so I walk around in a bubble with a mask on lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 07:10 PM   #34
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2CS+GTS Targa+RRS SVR

I think black in itself is an "aggressive" color so the stance and lines of the car lend to that. Honestly I wanted Misano blue but I felt like the carbon bits were distracting more than enhancing..very subjective. no regrets here..
Appreciate 1
Bimmed Out1908.50
      01-14-2021, 08:34 PM   #35
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
I was personally not a fan of either color and I already had a white M5 so I went with white. Widely regarded as boring but nothing contrasts like it.
especially when you have a dark tint on your windows
      01-14-2021, 08:36 PM   #36
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post
I think black in itself is an "aggressive" color so the stance and lines of the car lend to that. Honestly I wanted Misano blue but I felt like the carbon bits were distracting more than enhancing..very subjective. no regrets here..
I must say these 4 color options are all great on the M2 CS.

I was begrudgingly about to build a $91,500 G82 M4 6MT. In São Paulo Yellow on Yas Marina Blue carbon seats. That's beyond my level of ostentatiousness but it, in my opinion, was the only really nice combo despite it being bananas.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 08:36 PM   #37
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
I have not been able to see the CS in person and am wondering if BSM will not be a good color hiding too much of the car's aggressive stance and design. I like the contrast with gold wheels but would appreciate feedback compared to MB.
I think the car looked super aggressive in all colors, i saw it in MB and BSM, and ultimately bought the BSM car (and I'm a blue guy, my OG M2 was in LBB).

I personally don't like the fact that ever single car company seems to have a similar blue that those brand consumers all keep saying is unique (Misano in BMW, Miami in Porsche, Nitro Blue in Ford, Turbo Blue in Audi, Boost Blue for Civic Type R etc etc). These are all similar shades in my eyes.

But you have to go with personal preference, and what kind of available car you can find at this point. I chose BSM, and have no regrets on my choice. If I had ordered the car, i probably would have ordered it in MB, and also had no regrets on my choice.
I agree, even if M2CS came in its birthday suit, it's grand imposing presence would still be felt the same way

The beast looks beastly no matter what colour the cladding comes in
      01-14-2021, 08:40 PM   #38
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmed Out View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post

Shows the stance and design real good to my eyes...
The perfect spec. ^^^

I promised myself no more black cars. But the photos of the M2 CS in BSM were so compelling, I gave in. And I can now say that in person, it is even more striking.
Quote:

The perfect spec. ^^^
The perfect spec, is da M2 CS!!

That's the perfect spec, period!
Bimmed Out1908.50
      01-14-2021, 08:43 PM   #39
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
4 colors. Can't go wrong with any one them. AW most rare then SBM, HS and MB.

Black is the most menacing by far and screams street fighter.

White says motorsports

Blue is Happiest color.

HS is confused which color it wants to be

All great colors.

My 2 cents
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
[IMG]https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...2&d=1608144244[/IMG]

Shows the stance and design real good to my eyes...
The perfect spec. ^^^

I promised myself no more black cars. But the photos of the M2 CS in BSM were so compelling, I gave in. And I can now say that in person, it is even more striking.
I think your 2-cents worth is the wisest of all

M2CS is awesome in any spec, any colour, any country.

Just get in and drive. I can't wait till mine arrives.
      01-15-2021, 11:14 AM   #40
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

BSM has more blue than Carbon black. I find most of the pictures online make it look way more black that it shows most of the time. Here is my F90 in BSM as an example that shows more of the blue hues

Untitled by Sales Punk, on Flickr

Untitled by Sales Punk, on Flickr

Last edited by Salespunk; 01-15-2021 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 3
Bimmed Out1908.50
ChiTownM1062.00
      01-15-2021, 11:50 AM   #41
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
BSM has more blue than Carbon black. I find most of the pictures online make it look way more black that it shows most of the time. Here is my F90 in BSM as an example that shows more of the blue hues
Yes, this is another reason I wanted BSM. It reminds me of Porsche's Jet Black Metallic, which I had on my GT3 Touring -- lots of blue flecks. It makes it so that you get a lot of different appearances depending on the lighting, and the blue really pops in the sun.
Appreciate 2
Salespunk1745.00
      01-15-2021, 09:27 PM   #42
AxM2CS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28 535i >E39 528iT >E39 540i6

My E39 540i (daily driver until I picked up my MB M2CS a week ago) is Black Sapphire Metallic. Wonder how different that 2002 color is from the current BSM? They look very similar, though my 18 YO car isn't showing like the new BSM. I've seen the M2CS in BSM and MB .. the bookends so to speak of the 4 color options. On first blush they present very differently, but the more I looked the more I saw the car beneath the color and the contrast in color faded away from the presence of the vehicle. No wrong answer here!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 10:14 AM   #43
AxM2CS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28 535i >E39 528iT >E39 540i6

Quote:
Does anyone know the first year that BMW used Black Sapphire Metallic? And on what model?
Pretty certain 2002 was the first year BSM was offered on the E39. Not sure if the 7 at the time offered it a year earlier or so. Pic below of 02 model was from 2005 (yawning son's in college now). It definitely has all the blue in the right light that the CS pics above show off; gorgeous. Gonna strip it before selling it and bring back some of that luster. The RS-GT's need some TLC too in 2021.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Bimmed Out1908.50
      01-16-2021, 11:15 AM   #44
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxM2CS View Post
Pretty certain 2002 was the first year BSM was offered on the E39. Not sure if the 7 at the time offered it a year earlier or so. Pic below of 02 model was from 2005 (yawning son's in college now). It definitely has all the blue in the right light that the CS pics above show off; gorgeous. Gonna strip it before selling it and bring back some of that luster. The RS-GT's need some TLC too in 2021.
Gorgeous 5-series and cute munchkin!

Nice to know BSM is coming on its 20th year anniversary with the brand. #BMWHeritage
Appreciate 1