BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2 LCI - Lots of burbles, some pops, no bang?

01-13-2021, 08:09 AM   #1
iiNNeX
rwd = fun
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4CP

Garage List
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
M2 LCI - Lots of burbles, some pops, no bang?

Hey all,

It is yet another thread about the lack of bangs in an OG M2 LCI car...

I recently purchased my M2 from a main dealer. The car has only done 15,000 miles and has had full BMW SH. It was made in December 2017 so I am not sure if it falls under MY17 or 18?

One of the reasons that made me go for the OG M2 was the sound, more specifically how amazing it was with the stock exhaust. Unfortunately, all I can get my car to do is burble a lot, maybe do an occasional pop, but none of those bangs you see people do when they do WOT 4k to 5k RPM then lift off...

I don't want it to be over the top, but something like this would be fine:

I have tried in Sport mode, Sport+ mode, MDM mode, DSC Off mode, you name it... Car was plenty warm, drove around for 10 miles before I even attempted it lol.

As for software versions, here is what I've got:

Is there any way to fix this via getting a dealer update or? It's not a deal breaker but it sucks that I am not getting the product I once saw advertised...

Cheers!
SK

Gone: '18 M2 LCI Manual, '02 E46 M3 SMG, '05 E46 M3 Manual
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 02:46 PM   #2
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiNNeX View Post
Hey all,

I recently purchased my M2 from a main dealer. The car has only done 15,000 miles and has had full BMW SH. It was made in December 2017 so I am not sure if it falls under MY17 or 18?

One of the reasons that made me go for the OG M2 was the sound, more specifically how amazing it was with the stock exhaust. Unfortunately, all I can get my car to do is burble a lot, maybe do an occasional pop, but none of those bangs you see people do when they do WOT 4k to 5k RPM then lift off...

I have tried in Sport mode, Sport+ mode, MDM mode, DSC Off mode, you name it... Car was plenty warm, drove around for 10 miles before I even attempted it lol.

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

Is there any way to fix this via getting a dealer update or? It's not a deal breaker but it sucks that I am not getting the product I once saw advertised...

Cheers!
SK
I know it's sometimes not very practical - but have you had a chance to listen to the car on the move from outside?
That video that you posted definitely has recorded the audio from a mic placed outside of the car.

This is my first BMW and I've found the car to be pretty well insulated - so I've found I always crack the window open or the sunroof (or both) to get more sound into the car.

I don't find my OG 2017 M2 really "bangs" but mostly as you mentioned already, it mostly has burbles and crackles and sometimes pops. But it does have that noise at WOT 4k to 5k RPM on lift off which I wouldn't really consider a "bang".

Although it doesn't sound like you have an issue with the burbles - there are a few forum threads here where people have mentioned that they've lost their pops and burbles after their software update - so always worth a read if you're concerned on whether it's software version related. At the same time, there are people whom have had their software updated but no issues with their pops and burbles being affected. That's also covered in those threads too.

And from my limited understanding on car software - I believe you'll want to find out your car's ISTEP version which is also covered here on the forum to look down this route whether it could be software related.
Appreciate 1
iiNNeX18.50
      01-13-2021, 03:10 PM   #3
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Hey all,

Cheers!
SK
I would recommend getting your software updated - usually 1hrs labour at a dealer.

I'm on a tune now, but the last bmw ecu software I was running before that (an ISTEP from July 2018) was really excellent and seemed to randomise the pops somehow, which isn't something I've seen a tune manage to do - it sounded great.
Appreciate 1
iiNNeX18.50
      01-13-2021, 03:21 PM   #4
iiNNeX
rwd = fun
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
I know it's sometimes not very practical - but have you had a chance to listen to the car on the move from outside?
That video that you posted definitely has recorded the audio from a mic placed outside of the car.

This is my first BMW and I've found the car to be pretty well insulated - so I've found I always crack the window open or the sunroof (or both) to get more sound into the car.

I don't find my OG 2017 M2 really "bangs" but mostly as you mentioned already, it mostly has burbles and crackles and sometimes pops. But it does have that noise at WOT 4k to 5k RPM on lift off which I wouldn't really consider a "bang".

Although it doesn't sound like you have an issue with the burbles - there are a few forum threads here where people have mentioned that they've lost their pops and burbles after their software update - so always worth a read if you're concerned on whether it's software version related. At the same time, there are people whom have had their software updated but no issues with their pops and burbles being affected. That's also covered in those threads too.

And from my limited understanding on car software - I believe you'll want to find out your car's ISTEP version which is also covered here on the forum to look down this route whether it could be software related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
I would recommend getting your software updated - usually 1hrs labour at a dealer.

I'm on a tune now, but the last bmw ecu software I was running before that (an ISTEP from July 2018) was really excellent and seemed to randomise the pops somehow, which isn't something I've seen a tune manage to do - it sounded great.

Thank you both. I have just completed updating my iDrive and Europe Maps to the latest versions available via USB drive.

Looks like the car has not seen any updates since it's left the factory? I will speak to BMW and get it booked in for a software update. I have also read through all related threads I could find, but they do seem to be a few years old now so thought there might be some new info on the matter.

As I said, I like how it sounds now it's just I always thought there was a bang every now and then, at least that is what some videos portray but as you say, being inside the car it is difficult to capture it. I definitely get the "BRRT" noise when on WOT and changing gear in Sport/Sport+, which is satisfying

I will look into finding my ISTEP version and report back.

SK

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 03:34 PM   #5
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

From my experience on the stock exhaust and stock downpipe, it was difficult to hear anything over the Active Sound Design that BMW enables by default, which led me to disable them with the Technic PNP ASD bypass harness.

Pops and bangs didn't really just *happen*, I had to tease them out by going full throttle and letting off at high rpm.
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | Dorch Stage 3 HPFP | Nostrum S2 Injectors | Walbro 535 | EOS EKP | BendCalibration Flex Fuel Kit | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 03:58 PM   #6
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Bangs usually only happen with aftermarket tunes with customised burble settings
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 06:04 PM   #7
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
From my experience on the stock exhaust and stock downpipe, it was difficult to hear anything over the Active Sound Design that BMW enables by default, which led me to disable them with the Technic PNP ASD bypass harness.

Pops and bangs didn't really just *happen*, I had to tease them out by going full throttle and letting off at high rpm.
Yeah I agree on this too. I got the ASD harness in the first month of owning the car and haven't looked back.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 08:09 PM   #8
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Catless downpipe and bootmod3 will solve your problem

2013 F30 328i (12/2015 - 09/2020) SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 08:49 PM   #9
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Thank you both. I have just completed updating my iDrive and Europe Maps to the latest versions available via USB drive.

Looks like the car has not seen any updates since it's left the factory? I will speak to BMW and get it booked in for a software update. I have also read through all related threads I could find, but they do seem to be a few years old now so thought there might be some new info on the matter.

As I said, I like how it sounds now it's just I always thought there was a bang every now and then, at least that is what some videos portray but as you say, being inside the car it is difficult to capture it. I definitely get the "BRRT" noise when on WOT and changing gear in Sport/Sport+, which is satisfying

SK
Just be wary if you do an ISTEP update, you could lose some of the pop and burbles as some have experienced and posted on the forum. Don't think much has changed since those threads posted a few years back.

I personally won't take the risk of updating the software because of that although I've read there are some nice benefits of the update software like better steering feel, less intrusive traction control in MDM, reverse camera beeping issue, reduced ASD and supposedly a cleaner 1st to 2nd shift in transition of power in the manual.

Then again seems like many have done the update with any issues. Sounds like a 50/50 gamble.
Appreciate 1
iiNNeX18.50
      01-14-2021, 01:53 AM   #10
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

SK
Just be wary if you do an ISTEP update, you could lose some of the pop and burbles as some have experienced and posted on the forum. Don't think much has changed since those threads posted a few years back.

I personally won't take the risk of updating the software because of that although I've read there are some nice benefits of the update software like better steering feel, less intrusive traction control in MDM, reverse camera beeping issue, reduced ASD and supposedly a cleaner 1st to 2nd shift in transition of power in the manual.

Then again seems like many have done the update with any issues. Sounds like a 50/50 gamble.
Not updating the car, and missing out on the improvements you mention, over fear of losing exhaust pops is probably not the best way to look at it. .

If you are on a pre-mid 2018 ISTEP then the steering feel gains alone make a massive difference. If somebody is with an Og m2 without any updates, the differences are night and day as so many improvements are made - it literally feels like you drive home in a different car (in a good way).

As I mention, the mid-2018 update had pops and burbles nailed - they were really good. It didn't bang unless you provoked it (eg aggressive on/ off with the throttle), but actually it was easier to make it bang than with earlier ISTEPs.

My recommendation would be to do an update, and if you didn't like the sounds, then load on a tune and customise the burbles to your needs
Appreciate 1
iiNNeX18.50
      01-14-2021, 04:27 AM   #11
iiNNeX
rwd = fun
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah I agree on this too. I got the ASD harness in the first month of owning the car and haven't looked back.
Don't the latest updates dial the ASD back quite a bit? Currently, I can only really notice it in Sport +, and that is with seats down, no music on a quiet road.

I'd love a bit more slip in MDM though as the car does cut out a tad too early so am looking forward to what the update brings

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 08:10 AM   #12
iiNNeX
rwd = fun
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Spent a few minutes this morning exporting my driver profile which contains the ISTEP version. Here is what I got:

F020-17-11-540

So 17 and 11 means it's the original ISTEP from November 2017.

Technically speaking, I should get the occasional loud pop/bang seeing as my ISTEP has not been updated by BMW... I wonder if it's due to the octane of fuel in the car. The dealer provided the vehicle to me with a full tank but I am pretty sure it's just the basic 93RON.

I ll go through the remaining amount and put in some Shell V power 99RON and see if that makes a difference before I book the car in for updates.

Edit: Found this thread which explains what all the numbers mean and the process to do the above, for those wondering: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1638904

Last edited by iiNNeX; 01-14-2021 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2021, 10:15 PM   #13
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Don't the latest updates dial the ASD back quite a bit? Currently, I can only really notice it in Sport +, and that is with seats down, no music on a quiet road.

I'd love a bit more slip in MDM though as the car does cut out a tad too early so am looking forward to what the update brings
Read on the forums here that the ASD is brought back to a much more acceptable level with the software update.

A little on a side point - but have you considered any mods to bring more drama with the exhaust noise like a downpipe or exhaust?

Have you heard the MPE in person? Had mine for the last two months - I would definitely recommend it for all OG owners. Everything is just amplified especially the BRRT sound which you've been mentioning. The MPE exhaust is low key and pretty civil in sport mode but just bonkers in track mode. I think the MPE was priced a bit steep brand new from factory, but I think second hand units are decent value. Yes - some have the cold start rattle and the 3k rpm drone, but the exhaust sound definitely outweigh these minor cons.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 04:24 AM   #14
iiNNeX
rwd = fun
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Read on the forums here that the ASD is brought back to a much more acceptable level with the software update.

A little on a side point - but have you considered any mods to bring more drama with the exhaust noise like a downpipe or exhaust?

Have you heard the MPE in person? Had mine for the last two months - I would definitely recommend it for all OG owners. Everything is just amplified especially the BRRT sound which you've been mentioning. The MPE exhaust is low key and pretty civil in sport mode but just bonkers in track mode. I think the MPE was priced a bit steep brand new from factory, but I think second hand units are decent value. Yes - some have the cold start rattle and the 3k rpm drone, but the exhaust sound definitely outweigh these minor cons.
Yeah I have a wishlist of mods as we all do, however it will take a while to get the funds together for what I wanted.

Exhaust wise I was thinking MPE + HJS 300 Cell Euro 6 downpipe. That adds up to around £3500... which I would ideally first prefer to invest in a proper suspension setup (KW V3), some Michelin PS4S and proper corner balancing/laser alignment.

There are people who just run the HJS downpipe with OEM exhausts and it improves the sound considerably, even giving you some actual pops and bangs when its hot, so will see.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 02:41 AM   #15
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

BMWF87Melb iiNNeX

I forgot to mention that my comments are based on also having the exhaust flap permanently open. Whilst this doesn't make the exhaust louder, it does ensure the exhaust is at full volume all the time - the ECU closes the flap at annoying times, such as when cruising on the motorway, and also it actually closes briefly on every throttle off. (this might affect the potential for bangs)

I drove my car for ages with it disabled and loved it - I have done this both with stock cat + Akrapovic (which is an HJS300) - both with the stock exhaust. Particularly with the Akrapovic on, I never even thought about needed to put on a new exhaust as it was plenty loud enough.

A while ago, I re-tuned my car with a test map and the exhaust flap was re-enabled as part of that. Within a few weeks, I was wondering which exhaust upgrade to get as I didn't think it was loud enough (and this is with the sports cat on). I realised what had happened, disabled the flap again, and all is again good!

You can disable the exhaust flap easily by removing the fuse - see this thread I did a while ago:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=23917829

Alternatively, it can also be done as a setting on BM3/MHD tunes.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 02:45 AM   #16
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I have a wishlist of mods as we all do, however it will take a while to get the funds together for what I wanted.

Exhaust wise I was thinking MPE + HJS 300 Cell Euro 6 downpipe. That adds up to around £3500... which I would ideally first prefer to invest in a proper suspension setup (KW V3), some Michelin PS4S and proper corner balancing/laser alignment.

There are people who just run the HJS downpipe with OEM exhausts and it improves the sound considerably, even giving you some actual pops and bangs when its hot, so will see.
You are doing it the right way for sure. I did it the other way around and fitted AST coilovers after getting the car to stage 2. - if I did it all again, I would do the coilovers first.

Given my post above, you may find you are plenty happy with the a sports cat and a disabled exhaust flap, so I would recommend doing the exhaust last.
Appreciate 1
iiNNeX18.50
      01-16-2021, 06:43 AM   #17
iiNNeX
rwd = fun
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
BMWF87Melb iiNNeX

I forgot to mention that my comments are based on also having the exhaust flap permanently open. Whilst this doesn't make the exhaust louder, it does ensure the exhaust is at full volume all the time - the ECU closes the flap at annoying times, such as when cruising on the motorway, and also it actually closes briefly on every throttle off. (this might affect the potential for bangs)

I drove my car for ages with it disabled and loved it - I have done this both with stock cat + Akrapovic (which is an HJS300) - both with the stock exhaust. Particularly with the Akrapovic on, I never even thought about needed to put on a new exhaust as it was plenty loud enough.

A while ago, I re-tuned my car with a test map and the exhaust flap was re-enabled as part of that. Within a few weeks, I was wondering which exhaust upgrade to get as I didn't think it was loud enough (and this is with the sports cat on). I realised what had happened, disabled the flap again, and all is again good!

You can disable the exhaust flap easily by removing the fuse - see this thread I did a while ago:

Thank you for sharing that, it is good to hear!

The only thing about removing a fuse for this mod, is that apparently it flags up in the DME as an error code?

I also believe a high flow cat + stock exhaust (flap open) will be plenty loud for me, as I am not after antisocial gunshot sounds or anything like that.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 01:03 PM   #18
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
BMWF87Melb iiNNeX

Thank you for sharing that, it is good to hear!

The only thing about removing a fuse for this mod, is that apparently it flags up in the DME as an error code?

I also believe a high flow cat + stock exhaust (flap open) will be plenty loud for me, as I am not after antisocial gunshot sounds or anything like that.
It might, although I didn't see one myself. It definitely won't throw a CEL though.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 08:53 AM   #19
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

My MY18 LCI started doing the 4.5k RPM bang after fitting a catted downpipe.
Appreciate 1
iiNNeX18.50