BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M performance coil over camber max?

01-09-2021, 08:14 PM   #1
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

M performance coil over camber max?

I realize there have been a ton of threads reviewing the setup, drop, ride quality, track performance etc, on the mps but I couldn't find anyone trying to max negative front camber without camber plates.

My other fun car is an e92 m3 that combines EDC, H&R sport springs and Dinan camber plates for a setup that I liked on track - the Dinan plates were probably the biggest lap time improvement after upgrading brakes.

Before camber plates, I could get -1.75. Front camber on the e92 is now -2.5 degrees.

How close do you think my shop can get to -2.5 without camber plates on the MP suspension?

Also, I know multiple people are going to tell me to buy camber plates but I've got 300 miles on the car and would like to spend the first year road tripping the hell out of it with a weekend at VIR and Watkins interspersed.

When I go full on track schedule again - with 7 or 8 events - I'll make the more substantive changes and upgrades (brakes with more than pads/fluids, camber plates, etc.).

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 10:07 PM   #2
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
The front suspension has no camber adjustments.

Get camber plates
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 05:49 AM   #3
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post

Get camber plates
Funny!

I understand there is no camber adjustment.

Let me be more concise;

What is the negative camber on the car with MPS installed assuming a good shop set it up and corner balanced?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 07:36 AM   #4
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiem3 View Post
Quote:

Get camber plates
Funny!

Let me be more concise;

What is the negative camber on the car with MPS installed assuming a good shop set it up and corner balanced?
There is no camber adjustment. No chance of even using up slack in the fittings, so I'm not sure where you are going with this? These cars have no slotted holes like previous models might have.
Sure if you slam the ride height you gain some neg camber, but as neg camber is usually desirable for handling purposes and slamming is anti handling there is no gain here. The change in camber due to lower ride height is small by the way, maybe 0.5 degrees max.

Get camber plates or BMW camber correction hubs.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 07:54 AM   #5
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
There is no camber adjustment. No chance of even using up slack in the fittings, so I'm not sure where you are going with this? These cars have no slotted holes like previous models might have.
Sure if you slam the ride height you gain some neg camber, but as neg camber is usually desirable for handling purposes and slamming is anti handling there is no gain here. The change in camber due to lower ride height is small by the way, maybe 0.5 degrees max.

You might consider to get the MP suspension w/out Camber Plates for you first year as you said and put some miles on it traveling. Even doing Track Days with just MP suspension will be big improvement. Then when your ready in a year or so, add the Camber Plate. I like to add suspension parts gradually, to get the feel of what they are improving on. Adding them all at once will not give you that chance. I beleive my OG 18 has -1.5 last time It was aligned. If lowering with MP gives -1.8 from what I read on this forum. Not to bad. As others have said though there is no adjustment on OE to add Camber without Correction Hub or Camber Plates.

Last edited by chief1richard; 01-10-2021 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
auggiem3295.00
      01-10-2021, 09:13 AM   #6
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Get camber plates
Funny!

Let me be more concise;

That's going to be greatly dependent on how low you have the suspension adjusted.

Best way to find out would be to have them check at an alignment shop.

But truth be told, it's not going to be a lot.

I'm using TCKline Camber plates set at about -2.75 in the front, this seems like a good tradeoff for track performance, and acceptable tire wear/handling on the street.
Appreciate 1
auggiem3295.00
      01-10-2021, 12:30 PM   #7
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post

You might consider to get the MP suspension w/out Camber Plates for you first year as you said and put some miles on it traveling. Even doing Track Days with just MP suspension will be big improvement. Then when your ready in a year or so, add the Camber Plate. I like to add suspension parts gradually, to get the feel of what they are improving on. Adding them all at once will not give you that chance. I beleive my OG 18 has -1.5 last time It was aligned. If lowering with MP gives -1.8 from what I read on this forum. Not to bad. As others have said though there is no adjustment on OE to add Camber without Correction Hub or Camber Plates.
Thanks - that's exactly what I was looking for. If it were 1.5 or less, I'd pull the trigger on the vorslag plates when I get the m performance suspension put on in the next two weeks.

If I can get to 1.8 or a tick more, I will do my first few events this year without the vorslag and then install them for next season with a more dedicated setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 12:37 PM   #8
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Get camber plates
Funny!

Let me be more concise;

That's going to be greatly dependent on how low you have the suspension adjusted.

I'm using TCKline Camber plates set at about -2.75 in the front, this seems like a good tradeoff for track performance, and acceptable tire wear/handling on the street.
Thanks - I know I'll need them next year to get some better cornering and turn in bite on track - and, likely, to fit whatever track wheel/tire setup I invest in.

I wasn't expecting anything major with a subtle drop but knew I could pick up something with 20mm down from stock (I wouldn't consider 8/10ths of an inch slammed).

I also didn't know exactly where I was starting from - sounds like -1.5 getting to -1.8 or thereabouts is possible.

I remember on the e92, you could pull a pin and pickup -0.5 degrees. Add in shorter springs or lower ride height and folks were approaching -2.0 without plates.

I moved to -2.5 with the dinan fixed plates - the benefit there was retention of much of the stock components to avoid noise - super quiet.

Sounds like no fixed plate options on the m2.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 01:07 PM   #9
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Get camber plates
Funny!

Let me be more concise;

Thanks - I know I'll need them next year to get some better cornering and turn in bite on track - and, likely, to fit whatever track wheel/tire setup I invest in.

I wasn't expecting anything major with a subtle drop but knew I could pick up something with 20mm down from stock (I wouldn't consider 8/10ths of an inch slammed).

I also didn't know exactly where I was starting from - sounds like -1.5 getting to -1.8 or thereabouts is possible.

I remember on the e92, you could pull a pin and pickup -0.5 degrees. Add in shorter springs or lower ride height and folks were approaching -2.0 without plates.

I moved to -2.5 with the dinan fixed plates - the benefit there was retention of much of the stock components to avoid noise - super quiet.

Sounds like no fixed plate options on the m2.
Dinan has a fixed plate option. I forget what camber it provides.

The TCKline have fixed slots, and is not sliding like the ground control ones.
Appreciate 0