BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > 2018 M2 LCI ultimate track/street beast build

12-02-2020, 12:18 PM   #23
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Tonight the new cage is going in!! The custom carbon fiber rear seat delete I've made is pretty close to done. I just realized in order to install my LPFP with the bottom seat delete plate in one piece I'd have to remove the cage and everything. So I'm going to cut the main plate in half then make a carbon trim piece to connect the two halves with nuts epoxied to the plate. Should work out fine. And allow for wayyyyy easier access to the LPFP in the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 01:08 PM   #24
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Love the build and the passion for what you're doing. Car is spec'd well for track duty. Kudos!
AWC-F87436.50
      12-02-2020, 03:20 PM   #25
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMadness View Post
Love the build and the passion for what you're doing. Car is spec'd well for track duty. Kudos!
Thank you!! I really appreciate those kind words! Doing what I do for a living is very hard. And I work for some of the pickiest people in socal. If it wasn't for my deep passion for cars I wouldn't do what I do day in and out!
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2020, 03:39 PM   #26
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Wagner Evo3 came in thanks to nothingman all I have to say is holy crap balls this thing is massive. 😱😱😱
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2020, 10:46 PM   #27
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Alright guys! Today was a good day!!

I got great news that the embroidery lady ran our test run of the logo for the reupholstery of my sparco seats! We're doing the m performance logo in the head rest. We liked the top logo better and she's going to fine tune a little further to make it super tight and clean! These will be the nicest sparco seats probably ever made!

Secondly I got the back seat delete carbon work all done and the cage mounted in for the last time! The holes I cut in the back side carpeting were pretty close but the bolt heads raise the carpet a little and make it a little wonky. With the trunk tray in it kinda settles things back down and makes the sides sit better.

The back seat delete carbon I thought was going to need a seam in the middle. But I was able to bend it like a U and slip it through the front of the cage fairly easy. So when it's time to install my LPFP it won't be a hassle and I won't have to take the cage out. Just unbolt the seats and remove the main carbon panel. Easy.

The cage is made by TC design I believe in NorCal. I kinda forgot lol. Then I had it powder coated gloss black. I'm an all black kind of guy. I had to weld in weld nuts for the front and in the rear we made a plate from water Jet and welded the weld nuts to that then the plates into the car. DO NOT waste your money on a studio RSR cage if you plan on tracking your car. I had one before this and quickly sold it to buy this cage from a forum member that tracked his car. This cage was from a 240. Fits the m2 perfectly.
This is totally safe to strap my life to with harnesses and I feel safe and confident with it. BUT I AM NOT AN EXPERT. the bolts are ARP 12 point. Highest rated bolts I could buy from McMaster carr.

The carbon seat delete I made out of many renditions of cardboard first. Then I traced it onto the sheet of carbon and used a dremel with a Diamond blade to cut it out. Then sanded it to make it all smooth. The little L channel in front took a lot more sanding cause it was raw then I sprayed it with 4 coats of DuPont rattle can automotive clear coat.

All it im in this cage $2200 bucks and that's with doing almost all the work myself except the welding and powder coat. And I have countless hours into it. But this set up is rock solid and NO ONE else has the same one as me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
FIDDIE12.00
GPGP226.50
      12-07-2020, 11:07 AM   #28
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

Wow thats a serious bit of kit! Would love to do something like this myself but like you it'll be quite an outlay to commit to. Have you been on track yet or is that still to come? Would be a weapon
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 02:04 PM   #29
21Inked
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW für m3

any installed pics of the Brake Air Ducts?
Appreciate 1
AWC-F87436.50
      12-07-2020, 03:24 PM   #30
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

Fantastic build! Good to see more local track focused M2 builds.

Let us know if you need any guidance on the tuning side.

We work closely with Dorch
Appreciate 1
AWC-F87436.50
      12-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #31
annabellapizza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

What good tyler, this build is sick man. Hope when I get eventually get an M2 it can be 1% as sick as this. Favorite parts is def those wheels .
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 07:02 PM   #32
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

Bravo! This is waaaay out of my league man but I am so excited to see this kind of cool stuff.
Appreciate 1
AWC-F87436.50
      12-07-2020, 08:06 PM   #33
Salottox5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 m5

Great car ! Well done
      12-07-2020, 09:23 PM   #34
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Nice build

Looking forward to seeing those seats complete.
Appreciate 1
AWC-F87436.50
      12-07-2020, 10:42 PM   #35
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD18 View Post
Wow thats a serious bit of kit! Would love to do something like this myself but like you it'll be quite an outlay to commit to. Have you been on track yet or is that still to come? Would be a weapon
Thank you very much!! It's crazy cause when I bought the car I didn't think I was going to go this far with it. I just really fell in love with the platform. The m2 gets respect from Porsche guys, exotic guys, tuner guys, corvette guys. Sooo many car owners recognize the m2 as a super capable platform.

So the more I've done, the more I love the car! Plus I'm a tinkerer so I find huge enjoyment building and working on my own cars.

Yes I have tracked it. I've ran streets of willow twice and big willow once. I have another day at big willow on the 18th. Last time I ran a 1:41 on big willow. I'm hoping to break into 1:35 ish this time. The car is more set up now. I have Bridgestone re71rs on it and a way better feel in the car. If you've ran big willow you know the whole lap is made in turns 8/9. It takes big balls to run these corners at speed. So we'll see how my balls feel on the 18th. Lol

I'm hoping to run some GTA events in 2021/22 with the car as well as some SCCA TA events or AX events. The only thing is I'll probably have to run in a higher class due to the mods done to the car. But what ever. I'm building it how I want it.
Appreciate 1
AD18349.50
      12-07-2020, 10:46 PM   #36
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
Fantastic build! Good to see more local track focused M2 builds.

Let us know if you need any guidance on the tuning side.

We work closely with Dorch
I absolutely will need tuning help. I just got a dorch stg 2, precision race works LPFP and a EOS LPFP controller. All of those mods will be going in probably summer of 21'. Summers in Cali are tooo hot for me to stand around at a track all day. All the tracks in socal are in desert type areas. So I want to get more data and days done this winter then do the next round of big mods in summer.

I'll be installing my EVO3 IC here very soon though.

I'm also trying to work with PeterPure or Sales@vargasturbotech to help develop their new turbos. They are both in the works for a new revised n55 turbo.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 10:54 PM   #37
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Inked View Post
any installed pics of the Brake Air Ducts?
Let me see what I have in the camera roll. The brake ducts aren't anything special lol. 100% redneck engineering garage fab specials lol. I just felt for the money of some of the kits out there that I could make something that did the job. So far sooo good! It's basically a c6 zo6 brake duct that I cut down length wise. I thin riveted a 2" coupler into that to make the plastic rigid for the duct line to clamp onto. Then I found airplane aluminum 2" flanges to Rivet to the stock heat shield. I made a reinforcement plate out of aluminum and riveted that to the heat shield for flex strength cause after cutting a 2" hole in the heat shield I felt it was a little flimsy. I was afraid after a bunch of turning the heat shield might fatigue and crack.

I made a 90* aluminum L bracket and riveted that to the C6 scoops and then zip tied it to the front LCA. I can't take credit for this idea. I just did a ton of reading on here and then started paving my own way.

After everything was mounted I did clearance checks in the air and on the ground. A few adjustments later and everything is rock solid and nothing rubs or moves. I've had the car to 160+ MPH and nothing moves. I inspect stuff very often.

In the long run I'd love a carbon lip with integrated ducts but the options currently available are just really expensive or not quite what I want. Or not easily available in the USA.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-07-2020, 10:56 PM   #38
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust350z View Post
Nice build

Looking forward to seeing those seats complete.
You and me both! It's been a HUGE pain in the ass! But it will be worth it! And going forward if anyone wants it done my buddy Shane Diego Designs will be able to crush it for you! We've worked all the kinks out with my seats. The leather will be very tight, no wrinkles, embroidery will be perfect. Everything will look as if the factory did it!
Appreciate 1
Aust350z243.00
      12-07-2020, 10:57 PM   #39
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellapizza View Post
What good tyler, this build is sick man. Hope when I get eventually get an M2 it can be 1% as sick as this. Favorite parts is def those wheels .
Keep saving! And go for it! Aside from a Porsche the m2 is by far the best car money can buy!
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2020, 11:02 PM   #40
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

I really appreciate the support guys!! It really means a lot. This car has taken a long time to build by myself to this point! I really appreciate the love you guys are showing it. I can't even begin to count the amount of hours I have into building it. So thank you! Thank you all very much!

I'd also really like to shout out some people that have helped along the way! ADMINS PLEASE! This isn't an advertisement. Just showing the love.

First and foremost my buddy Sean Lee for plugging the build with BBS.

Kevin@eas for helping me source parts for my arwon gauge and setting me up with the seats. And answering my texts at weird times lol

James Valoria a great customer and friend of mine for buying the CAE for me.

Matthew Collins one of my best friends and right hand guys. Aka the good idea fairy.

Hawk for backing me!

Zack Thomas fab

Shane Diego designs
Appreciate 2
      12-08-2020, 06:49 AM   #41
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Very nice. You know, of course that if you put any appreciable street mileage on that front suspension at -3 degrees, you'll be eating front tire shoulders. Are the plates adjustable for when you can't get to the track? or are you primarily going to drive it to and from track events?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 08:55 AM   #42
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Most of this stuff is way over my head, but really enjoying the thread...loving the passion behind this project!

Keep the updates coming, awesome to see.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 08:59 AM   #43
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva View Post
Very nice. You know, of course that if you put any appreciable street mileage on that front suspension at -3 degrees, you'll be eating front tire shoulders. Are the plates adjustable for when you can't get to the track? or are you primarily going to drive it to and from track events?
I only really drive the car to the track and short rips around town. Then car shows and hard canyon runs. I swap wheels depending on what I'm doing.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 09:01 AM   #44
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Don't be a jerk, post more cool stuff and definitely
More pics!! This is awesome.

The brake ducts are also great, wouldn't call them redneck engineering at all. How much do you think you spent in total for them?

I hope your car brings you many smiles and years of joy.

Makis
Appreciate 0