Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt51 View Post
I can see that, but you don't have the time to screw it on after an off track excursion? You need two right? Front and rear? What if you guess wrong? I'm guessing if you can't drive back onto the paved surface, your car is already f^cked.

Sometimes at motorcycle trackdays and races, whatever bike(s) that've gone off track get left out there (if they're not in an impact zone) until the session or race is over.
Please educate yourself before going around calling people "ricers". Tow hooks are a required piece of equipment for track days.

Getting out of your car is a no-no at the track. The only time its ever acceptable to get out of your car during a hot track is if your car, or you, is on fire (or in the case of some tracks, under water). You can't just get out and attach tow hooks, nor is it the job of the track crew to attach a tow hook.

As for getting back on the pavement, thats not always the case, you could be stuck, or leaking fluid, in which case driving back on the track would either be impossible, or possibly further damage your car. Or quite possibly leak fluid onto the track, which you will be charged for. Not to mention you'll have a ton of pissed off people that will miss track sessions because they had to put down a bunch of quickdry to clean up your mess.
Appreciate 2
243Racing1447.50
      02-10-2020, 08:16 AM   #24
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

The fabric straps look cool, but surely they will "flap" around and marr the paintwork if left in place for long.

Just attach the metal hook at the track, you can always move it front/rear if you need to get towed backwards...
Appreciate 1
mcvaughan704.00
      02-10-2020, 08:21 AM   #25
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
The fabric straps look cool, but surely they will "flap" around and marr the paintwork if left in place for long.

Just attach the metal hook at the track, you can always move it front/rear if you need to get towed backwards...
The BMW factory race cars (M235iR, M2 CS Racing) all use the nylon tow straps. I use the front factory hook because that's where I zip tie my transponder. Nylon strap in the back.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 08:57 AM   #26
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post

I'd think it would take a while for it to do any kind of damage on the paint.

Also, you cant just "swap it to the front/rear". You cant even get out of your car. Better to just have 2 of them and not worry about it.
Appreciate 2
243Racing1447.50
      02-10-2020, 10:44 AM   #27
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
I find the tow strap/ tow hook street driven look to be a complete joke.

No one that I know that tracks their car runs one of these on the street.

Some will screw theirs in before the roll out of the pits at a HPDE, which is fine, but I just wait for the tow driver then screw mine in.

Either way the street driven tow hook look is sooooooooo poor taste.....
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 3
natmad667.00
heavyD^23688.50
mcvaughan704.00
      02-10-2020, 11:30 AM   #28
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post

Some will screw theirs in before the roll out of the pits at a HPDE, which is fine, but I just wait for the tow driver then screw mine in.

Most of us with these cars are wanna be racecar drivers. I think it's fine to add a few "racecar" touches to your ride as long as you don't go too far. Don't take it too seriously.
Appreciate 1
MDuckie93.00
      02-10-2020, 11:41 AM   #29
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post

I dont think anyone in this thread is advocating running them on the street.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2020, 12:16 PM   #30
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
I dont think anyone in this thread is advocating running them on the street.
Maybe for a quick photo shoot
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 10:05 PM   #31
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt51 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by goku7 View Post
You need to put it on for track days. So you can get towed easily if you go off track and get stuck. Or else I was told the tow truck will hook your wheels and will damage them (and probably the axle too)
I can see that, but you don't have the time to screw it on after an off track excursion? You need two right? Front and rear? What if you guess wrong? I'm guessing if you can't drive back onto the paved surface, your car is already f^cked.

Sometimes at motorcycle trackdays and races, whatever bike(s) that've gone off track get left out there (if they're not in an impact zone) until the session or race is over.
Yup I have done mc trackdays for the last decade and this is first year and car doing trackdays. For mc we just leave it against the wall and collect during lunch or end of day. But for car tds it appears they roll the tow truck every time if the car is stuck mainly cause they r much larger and it's easy for other drivers to hit them
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 10:06 PM   #32
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmf View Post
Out of curiosity, was it a black M2C with a matte wrap and you were a sunset orange?

If so, hey mate!
Hey man!! Nice finding you here.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 10:23 PM   #33
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Nice. I paid the full price for mine. Ordering another!
Dollar cost averaging, I see. lol

PSA those turner straps say they are only for front use on the M2.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 02-10-2020 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      02-10-2020, 10:35 PM   #34
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

I don't see why not to run these on the street. You can get into an accident on the street to where you can't get to the tow hook to attach it too. Maybe you get rear ended and your trunk gets smashed and won't open, so you can't get to the tow hook.

Like the same conditions apply on the street as at the track that warrants running them while racing, right?

Also better to have these nylon straps than the aluminum hook left in, because the aluminum tow hook is gonna mess stuff up if you hit something with it.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 02-10-2020 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 05:06 AM   #35
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goku7 View Post
Yup I have done mc trackdays for the last decade and this is first year and car doing trackdays. For mc we just leave it against the wall and collect during lunch or end of day. But for car tds it appears they roll the tow truck every time if the car is stuck mainly cause they r much larger and it's easy for other drivers to hit them
Yeah man. At some tracks, MC cats are treated like outcasts and gypsies. It seems a lot cheaper to run bikes over cars.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 06:49 AM   #36
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:
Nice. I paid the full price for mine. Ordering another!
Dollar cost averaging, I see. lol

PSA those turner straps say they are only for front use on the M2.
Weird, wonder why they would make that limitation. There's nothing keeping it from running on the rear I don't think.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 07:44 AM   #37
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Quote:
Please educate yourself before going around calling people "ricers". Tow hooks are a required piece of equipment for track days.
Awe
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:33 PM   #38
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I don't see why not to run these on the street.
Sure. While you are at it maybe install a pair of Hella horns because a loud horn may prevent an accident right? Or maybe a fake hood vent because it may prevent the hood under it from taking damage from road debris?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:08 AM   #39
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Sure. While you are at it maybe install a pair of Hella horns because a loud horn may prevent an accident right? Or maybe a fake hood vent because it may prevent the hood under it from taking damage from road debris?
I don't understand how any of that changes or invalidates anything I said. Tow straps would still be useful for the same reasons on the street as they would be on the track, and as far as I can see have no downsides. Same with the horn and hood vents you mention.

If anyone has any logical and real reasons to not run nylon tow straps on the street, let me know, because I don't see any downsides.

Most of the arguments seem to be around "ppl will think something bad about me if I have them on my car while on the street"

Which, I mean, worst case scenario... if there is something I visually like, I'm not gonna let other people stop me from enjoying it. Best case scenario... if it has a practical function to me, I'm not gonna let other people stop me from using it.
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
grl.racr382.50
      02-13-2020, 12:55 AM   #40
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp. Alp. White

Has anyone had an issue with the nylon flapping about in the wind and ultimately scratching/burnishing the paint?

I just purchased a combo front license plate holder that switches to a rigid tow hook for track days. Very nice quality piece.
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      02-13-2020, 11:09 AM   #41
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thM3 View Post
Has anyone had an issue with the nylon flapping about in the wind and ultimately scratching/burnishing the paint?

I just purchased a combo front license plate holder that switches to a rigid tow hook for track days. Very nice quality piece.
I haven't run mine yet, but I'll let you know. I've got ceramic pro 9h all over, so I'd be extremely surprised if something as benign as a nylon strap was able to scratch the paint.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:51 AM   #42
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thM3 View Post

I haven't run mine yet, but I'll let you know. I've got ceramic pro 9h all over, so I'd be extremely surprised if something as benign as a nylon strap was able to scratch the paint.
Ceramic coatings are not impervious to scratching or marring
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 03:49 PM   #43
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
A few things come to mind:

1. Eventually, the flapping is going to mar/scratch the paint and/or PPF.

2. It will get dirty from rain/snow/slush/road grime and is just another thing that needs to be kept clean on the car. Admittedly, black may minimize this.

3. It will be subject to sun bleaching/UV fading if it's exposed to the elements on a regular basis.

4. Sun bleaching & UV fading will affect the strength of the nylon, which will affect towing ability and safety. (As an example: sun-bleached climbing slings similar to tow hook webbing that were exposed to the elements for three or more years failed in a range from 5-16 kN. When new, they had a minimum breaking strength of 22 kN.)

5. They will get moldy/grungy if exposed to the elements over time (e.g. walk through any marina in the Pacific Northwest and look at the black and blotchy canvas/nylon on display.)

That's just off the top of my head. If the car is a "hanger queen", these might not apply but as a daily driver? I'd just keep the tow hook in the trunk and install when needed or for a driving event.

Just my 0.03.

R.
Hmm. Thank you for taking the time to write that out. Here's are my responses.

First, the straps are polyester, not nylon. I thought they were nylon in my previous posts, but I was incorrect. Nylon has been phased out of carrying uses for decades, in favor of polyethylene or polyester, which have more favorable qualities.

My car is fully wrapped in Xpel, so I don't see scratching the paint as being an issue.

The way the straps sit (for the brand I'm considering purchasing), the thickness of the folded section that's sewn prevents the strap from ever contacting the paint. It sticks out too far past it.

Polyester and nylon are both UV resistant and mold proof.

The mold you bring up on marina boat ropes is on the outside surface of the rope. Because they sit on the docks and never get washed. Same mold/slime that appears on boat surfaces if they aren't cleaned. A strap on a car is just as susceptible to mold as the car hood is.

The resistance to UV light might be a concern and is worth exploring more...

This study concluded there was no measurable change in nylon after being exposed to natural and artificial UV light

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/c30...d8b0905712.pdf

This study says they saw polyester with a 30% loss in strength after 1yr of UV exposure then leveled off after that. Nylon showing a 50-60% loss of strength after 36 months.

A 30% loss in strength would still make the two straps rated for 1000lbs more than our cars weigh.

http://unirope.com/sling/exposure-to-sun-and-uv-light/

According to this article, polypropylene (which the web slings you refereed to are made of) is much less UV resistant than polyester (which the tow straps are made of). So the comparison you used isn't accurate.

https://www.servicethread.com/blog/t...ster-explained

Additional coatings can be applied to the strap to increase it's UV resistance, which can be periodically reapplied as maintenance.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16062.00
      02-13-2020, 11:03 PM   #44
243Racing
Banned
Rep

There are some really silly arguments going on in this thread
Appreciate 3