BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > BMS clutch stop = awesome

11-11-2020, 02:08 PM   #221
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

I've used clutch stops on my previous manual BMWs, but I didn't think the clutch travel was too bad on my OG M2. I had the CDV removed last month so even without a UCP and/or SSK I was thinking the shifting was pretty good, reminding me of my old BMWs.

Heard from the original owner (I bought the car last year as a CPO from a dealership) and he mentioned the only stock part he changed was adding a BMS Clutch Stop. No wonder I didn't think the travel was too long. Looked up there today and of course it's still there.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 01:48 AM   #222
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Ok guys what am I missing? I had the BMS clutch stop on my M240i and I remember the install took literally 10 seconds and there wasn’t an issue. Now with my M2C I bought the same BMS clutch stop but I can’t seem to get the damn clutch stop into the hole. I’ve tried pushing both forwards and upwards. No matter how I do it, the clutch stop goes in the first bit but any additional force seems to bend the clutch stop rather than push it further in. I have 2 of the 3 discs on the clutch stop for what it’s worth.

I’m driving myself crazy because this was the easiest install ever on the M240 and it should be the exact same thing on the M2C but I’m failing. Any tips or pointers?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 01:58 AM   #223
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
Ok guys what am I missing? I had the BMS clutch stop on my M240i and I remember the install took literally 10 seconds and there wasn’t an issue. Now with my M2C I bought the same BMS clutch stop but I can’t seem to get the damn clutch stop into the hole. I’ve tried pushing both forwards and upwards. No matter how I do it, the clutch stop goes in the first bit but any additional force seems to bend the clutch stop rather than push it further in. I have 2 of the 3 discs on the clutch stop for what it’s worth.

I’m driving myself crazy because this was the easiest install ever on the M240 and it should be the exact same thing on the M2C but I’m failing. Any tips or pointers?
Twist it clockwise or counter clockwise (it is not threaded in any particular way so it won't matter) while pushing it in, that worked for me.
      01-03-2021, 03:57 AM   #224
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:

I had the same issue in my '17 M2. Rotating it in any direction didn't help either.
I ended using a box knife to trim the side on the stop to push it in. It still went in quite snug and is still there 7 months later.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2021, 10:10 AM   #225
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, F23 M240i

Quote:

The one for my M2 wouldn't go in either. I ended up using a Dremel to slightly slim it down. Three discs here.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 02:10 AM   #226
sharpmoney
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NA

i wanted to adjust mine.....to add a washer....IMPOSSIBLE to get out. broke on the way out and took me 30min to wiggle out the stick of plastic....
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 02:42 AM   #227
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpmoney View Post
i wanted to adjust mine.....to add a washer....IMPOSSIBLE to get out. broke on the way out and took me 30min to wiggle out the stick of plastic....
You're supposed to rotate it either counter clock wise or clockwise while pulling it out gently, some up and down wiggling helps it too. I've done it multiple times on mine and no issue.
supersam281.50
      03-16-2021, 08:41 AM   #228
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Just installed mine. Feels alright but then I haven't taken it out yet. The original bumper is so thin @ no more than 2mm and made of silicone-like material. I also had a hard time getting it inside but if you turn it while you push, it's easier to go in.

I have small hands and the hard plastic was putting pressure on the back of my hand... so for those with large hands i would guess that's a bit tight on the pedal rubber slot.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 08:03 AM   #229
icloudfiles
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

why is there dead travel in the pedal to begin with? Just curious? Also.... are people doing both clutch stop and removing the CDV? Sorry just got the car 2 weeks ago..

Last edited by icloudfiles; 04-06-2021 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 02:53 AM   #230
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

What was eventual determination, was there one?

I messaged a guy who makes and sells them in eBay, said M2 wouldn't even start without clutch being fully depressed so development was abandoned?!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 03:57 AM   #231
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
What was eventual determination, was there one?

I messaged a guy who makes and sells them in eBay, said M2 wouldn't even start without clutch being fully depressed so development was abandoned?!
Same for most modern manual BMW's with starter buttons not just m2's.

Matey on ebay has missed an opportunity 🤣🤣🤣
      06-06-2021, 08:58 PM   #232
neonbrown
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
Just installed mine. Feels alright but then I haven't taken it out yet. The original bumper is so thin @ no more than 2mm and made of silicone-like material. I also had a hard time getting it inside but if you turn it while you push, it's easier to go in.

I have small hands and the hard plastic was putting pressure on the back of my hand... so for those with large hands i would guess that's a bit tight on the pedal rubber slot.
I mainly used my palm as a means to apply pressure and get it situated correctly.

I'm thinking about CDV delete soon, would also like to know if anyone has done both.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 03:46 AM   #233
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post

What he meant was it wouldn't start as clutch not depressed enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 07:14 PM   #234
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbrown View Post
I'm thinking about CDV delete soon, would also like to know if anyone has done both.

I ran with CDV delete + clutch stop for a while. No problems, feels great, but biggest improvement is adding AutoSolutions SSK. Some argue UCP is needed for 6MT nirvana, but I'm still using the stock clutch pedal.
Appreciate 1
neonbrown274.50
      06-11-2021, 03:29 AM   #235
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post

What he meant was it wouldn't start as clutch not depressed enough.
Noted and if clutch stop is much taller / thicker then maybe but then ebay matey wouldn't sell many of these if he doesn't do enough R&D.

Anyhow, his loss as he should know there's many many m2 and other manual F series owners with modded clutch stops wo any issues.
      06-11-2021, 10:58 AM   #236
Canyon Carver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LCI M2 - Long Beach Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpmoney View Post
Yup, it was hard going in and I knew if I had to remove it for adjustment it would be a PIA to get out...sure enough, I wanted to remove a spacer and it wasn't coming out. I had to pull almost as hard as I could and then it suddenly let go all at once, my hand slammed again the sharp plastic under the steering wheel column and I ended up at urgent care with 4 stitches. Seriously. I couldn't help but laugh...

2018 M2 LCI - Long Beach Blue Metallic - MT
2017 Camaro SS - MT (Sold)
2011 135i N55 - MT - Suspension+Stage 1 PPK (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 07:01 PM   #237
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
I ran with CDV delete + clutch stop for a while. No problems, feels great, but biggest improvement is adding AutoSolutions SSK. Some argue UCP is needed for 6MT nirvana, but I'm still using the stock clutch pedal.
Is this CDV delete on an M2? It’s pretty easy to do and requires no parts to purchase right ?

Ok I'm buying one w/o the CDV. It's only about 100$ locally. E90 Clutch Slave Cylinder

Last edited by vrooooom; 06-15-2021 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 08:00 AM   #238
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
Is this CDV delete on an M2? It’s pretty easy to do and requires no parts to purchase right ?
The CDV is part of the slave cylinder. I replaced mine with a new slave cylinder without the CDV.

There is at least one youtube video I saw that showed how to remove the little metal restrictor (CDV) from the slave cylinder with a wood screw, but I didn't go that route (nor did I do the work myself).

See https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1666477 for more details.
Appreciate 1
F87source7177.50
      06-12-2021, 12:48 PM   #239
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
The CDV is part of the slave cylinder. I replaced mine with a new slave cylinder without the CDV.

There is at least one youtube video I saw that showed how to remove the little metal restrictor (CDV) from the slave cylinder with a wood screw, but I didn't go that route (nor did I do the work myself).

See https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1666477 for more details.
+1

Buying a new slave cylinder is easier, you could try removing it with picks and a wood screw but it's gonna be hard.
      08-30-2021, 03:59 PM   #240
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Well it's not awesome. On two rubber shims the other day at a light couldn't get into first gear. Back to neutral then into gear and I got it. cars behind me about to beep me lol

Down to one shim now and general shifting so much better, it really was notchy before with two shims but I just thought I was focusing on it more than usual. Nope it was notchy esp first three gears.

Some cars tolerances may be better but I recommend no shims or one max.

How people are running three is beyond me.

Hopefully no damage to syncros or other mechanisms as not too many total miles with it on.

Bit yeh, 2-3 shims is baaaad. Despite measuring with MHD torque act clutch and from what I could feel some cars do need the clutch depressing further than even when the auto power feed thing comes on (what on earth is this called, 'comfort throttle' or something probably?!)
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      08-31-2021, 03:38 AM   #241
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Strange. The clutch in mine drags slightly unless I push the pedal all the way to the floor. Most noticeable for obvious reasons when going into 1st and shifting 1st-2nd.

This would be the 2nd clutch in 4 years/15k miles with the first being significantly worse (it was replaced under warranty).
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 06:03 AM   #242
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Just today I think I realised it wasn't the BMS as first gear stuck again. With my gearbox at least I need to shift laterally with a small amount of force to cleanly then get into the first gear gate.

So today it did the same thing with one shim so don't think it's BMS clutch stop fault.

Still I'm gonna rock one shim and try to shift more decisively into first!
Appreciate 0