BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS Exhaust Note

01-18-2021, 08:35 AM   #23
WoodKnuckle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2cs Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerforlife View Post
I hear a tone difference in sport + when I apply the throttle. When the car is idling there is no difference between comfort and sport +.
Same here, Coming from my M3CS which was much louder. When I got the car I thought my valve control was not working. I hope it gets louder, I only have 190 miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 10:02 AM   #24
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerforlife View Post
I hear a tone difference in sport + when I apply the throttle. When the car is idling there is no difference between comfort and sport +.
If you sit in idle or low revs, and change between comfort, sport, and sport+, you will hear a difference at each setting. Not a big difference, but there is a difference.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2021, 02:18 PM   #25
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Feel like this should be turned into a poll... seems like there is either "I like it" "It's fine, but it could be better" or "gah, s55 horror"
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4538.00
      01-18-2021, 02:39 PM   #26
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Btw there is a difference between the exhaust note and the fake induction noise thats pump into the cabin. The fake induction noise in the M2 CS cabin sounds perfectly fine to me!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 02:27 AM   #27
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
I am not sure , if there is any fake noise.. it sounds so mechanical to me , used to have the OG M2 before , and i could easily tell about the fake sound as soon as i open my windows.

I ve installed the Active Autowerke single midpipe , delete the opf . The car sounds perfect now , even some pops and bangs ! I love the original exhaust tips , just so simple.

Also , i noticed that my car needs around 3 minutes from cold start to open to valves. Then , when i am on Sport + mode the exhaust valves open when i have my foot on throttle. Then regardless driving mode , the exhaust valves are open . When i am trying to park tho , again regardless driving mode , when i dont have my foot on the throttle , i can hear the valves that close , as soon as i slowly touch the throttle , the valves open again. But i love driving the car on comfort too , because the volume is there !
Attached Images

Hedoniste3772.00
ScullyD5159.00
      01-19-2021, 07:06 AM   #28
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I have definitely noticed a louder exhaust note in Sport+. I think the volume is perfect. I don't think I'm hearing any fake cabin noise, but it's really hard to tell. Either this car doesn't have that or they've done a very good job of blending it in properly.

Even in sport+, the car is definitely quieter than my 1M with MadDad mid pipe and lightweight titanium slip-on, but that is a welcome change. For a daily driver, this is exactly what I was looking for.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2021, 07:12 AM   #29
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Has anyone tried unplugging the valves with them open? This is something we did with the M3/M4 to easily improve the sound of the stock exhaust. Open up the valves (rev in sport+), then shut off the engine, then unplug both valve actuators which keeps them open all the time. I'm assuming the procedure is the same on the s55 M2
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2021, 05:27 PM   #30
InsanityLatr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2CS  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
Has anyone tried unplugging the valves with them open? This is something we did with the M3/M4 to easily improve the sound of the stock exhaust. Open up the valves (rev in sport+), then shut off the engine, then unplug both valve actuators which keeps them open all the time. I'm assuming the procedure is the same on the s55 M2
Also wondering if anyone has attempted this on the M2CS? Shouldn't the exhaust valves stay open in sport plus? I know it was like that on my F80 M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 06:32 PM   #31
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsanityLatr View Post
Also wondering if anyone has attempted this on the M2CS? Shouldn't the exhaust valves stay open in sport plus? I know it was like that on my F80 M3.
On a stock car the valves open and close at different times even if you are in Sport+ mode. You have to make them stay open all the time if you want that.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 06:56 PM   #32
InsanityLatr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2CS  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsanityLatr View Post
On a stock car the valves open and close at different times even if you are in Sport+ mode. You have to make them stay open all the time if you want that.
Does the exhaust valve flap mod work on M2CS the same as the F80 M3 then? Seems like it would.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 07:50 PM   #33
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
I did this to my Comp and it worked great. Gaffer taped up the connectors to seal them and then taped them together in their approx positions.

Still sounded different in the different modes based on ASD and the amount of pops the ecu allowed, but the overall tone was consistent. I'll be doing the same when my CS arrives
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 08:05 PM   #34
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piets94 View Post
I did this to my Comp and it worked great. Gaffer taped up the connectors to seal them and then taped them together in their approx positions.

Still sounded different in the different modes based on ASD and the amount of pops the ecu allowed, but the overall tone was consistent. I'll be doing the same when my CS arrives
Great. Yeah, its a big improvement over stock in the M4. Will be my first mod until I get my remus.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 02:17 PM   #35
killerdeck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2 CS HS, 6-sp, PSS

Quote:

As reported in the other exhaust thread, unplugging the valves when open leads to additional turbo noise, but it does not seem to change the loudness all that much, unfortunately. I verified this yesterday on my CS.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2021, 05:03 AM   #36
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdeck View Post
As reported in the other exhaust thread, unplugging the valves when open leads to additional turbo noise, but it does not seem to change the loudness all that much, unfortunately. I verified this yesterday on my CS.
So your opinion on this would be not to bother unplugging?

What struck me with the M2C was that with the valves open and unplugged, each mode sounded quite different and it was purely a function of ASD and ECU popcorn. Sport was my default mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 06:53 AM   #37
killerdeck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2 CS HS, 6-sp, PSS

Quote:
So your opinion on this would be not to bother unplugging?

What struck me with the M2C was that with the valves open and unplugged, each mode sounded quite different and it was purely a function of ASD and ECU popcorn. Sport was my default mode.
So far, my opinion, after 50 miles of driving with them unplugged, is that I do not hear a significant increase in volume or change in the tone of sound other than the increased turbo noise. I have not played around with Effiicient vs Sport vs Spor+ enough to discern the differences between the 3 modes yet. Sport+ vs Sport+, however, is not appreciably louder or much different, IMHO. I will drive some more this weekend and see if I can't add any more feedback.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2021, 07:41 PM   #38
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep

As I re-plugged the exhaust valves in preparation for trading my M2C over to the dealer next week for my CS delivery, it struck me what clear differences were made by leaving the exhaust valves open:

- no absolute volume increase in sport plus
- more drone whilst cruising in sport and sport plus
- dct manual downshifts sound far more aggressive and gruff with the rev matching

Will wait to see how the exhaust sounds on the CS, but for me unplugging the valves on the Comp is a must mod if keeping the exhaust otherwise stock.
Appreciate 1
AlpsRider2857.50
      02-16-2021, 07:16 PM   #39
drew_M2cs
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodKnuckle View Post
Same here, Coming from my M3CS which was much louder. When I got the car I thought my valve control was not working. I hope it gets louder, I only have 190 miles on it.
I thought the same thing when I got mine, I have about 1,900 miles on her now and I brought this up to the service tech when I brought it in for the 1,200 mile break-in service. They confirmed they were working so unfortunately that's just the way these cars are and it doesn't get much louder.. the only difference I notice is a little more "burbling" when you let off after revving it. Thinking about doing a mid-pipe for a little more volume.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 07:22 PM   #40
xcellr8tion
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by circs.M2 View Post
I thought the same thing when I got mine, I have about 1,900 miles on her now and I brought this up to the service tech when I brought it in for the 1,200 mile break-in service. They confirmed they were working so unfortunately that's just the way these cars are and it doesn't get much louder.. the only difference I notice is a little more "burbling" when you let off after revving it. Thinking about doing a mid-pipe for a little more volume.
You should try the BMS CAN Flap module. The valves are much more conservative about when (and possibly even do what degree?) they’re open vs my previous F80 (which was M3 CS). Even when I’m in Sport Plus and under moderate load accelerating, manually switching the valves open using the module results in a decent boost in volume. This was not the case with my F80.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 12:34 AM   #41
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

If others hadn’t already reported, the CS does *not* have ASD (fake noise) enabled by default according to BimmerLink, at least mine didn’t.
Appreciate 3
MDuckie93.00
QM287.00
      02-17-2021, 12:49 AM   #42
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
If others hadn’t already reported, the CS does *not* have ASD (fake noise) enabled by default according to BimmerLink, at least mine didn’t.
I knew it! I simply don't hear ASD in any way. I drive with window open. It sounds glorious. Not _too_ loud (only just), not too quiet, warm and lovely. It's the goldilocks sound. I do wonder if I have a different car to others though.

Also, some other mentioned "YouTubers" complaining about the sound. I don't really respect their opinion on anything but I do enjoy the footage.

You don't hear respected car reviewers complaining about the sound. That Adam Sandler looking guy in the Supra M2cs review described it a "hellacious sound". Henry described it in this photo in his own special way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Hedoniste3772.00
      02-17-2021, 01:19 AM   #43
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

I keep looking for the exhaust volume switch. Maybe it’s what I’m used to in my previous cars, volume wise at least.

I don’t miss the ping pong ball bouncing in the muffler I was accustomed to in my old 30Jahre M3C.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2021, 08:53 AM   #44
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
Source?

I would love for you to be right, but you are the first person to make this claim. How did you confirm this?
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0