BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Noticing engine vibration moving from a 435i to an OG M2

01-18-2021, 12:03 PM   #1
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Noticing engine vibration moving from a 435i to an OG M2

Recently came across and fairly low mileage 2017 M2 with M Performance exhaust and a manual transmission. End up trading in my old 435i for it.

It is my first time owning a M car and also my first time own a manual. Being new to both of this, I have noticed that the car at idle vibrates a lot more than my old 435i. It feels like you notice a lot more that engine is running, where as back in my old car you barely notice it. I understand that this is suppose to be a tune up version of the N55 in my old car, but still concerns me a bit. Does anyone has experience from switching between these two variants of N55 engines and notice the same thing? Or is it the engine mount being different?

Also, since I am new to the manual world. I notice that the shifter nob vibrates a lot a idle. I assume that it is due to it been mechanically connected to the engine. That is normal, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 12:10 PM   #2
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
While I dont have the direct experience you're asking for, I will say that they removed a lot of the sound deadening material in the M2 vs. the m235i.

Of course, no one can really say whats "normal" without actually seeing what your particular car is doing. But some amount of vibration is "normal".
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #3
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
While I dont have the direct experience you're asking for, I will say that they removed a lot of the sound deadening material in the M2 vs. the m235i.

Of course, no one can really say whats "normal" without actually seeing what your particular car is doing. But some amount of vibration is "normal".
There is a noticeable more amount of noise in the cabin, which is inline with what you are describing here. However, my concern is over the vibrations that can be felt through the seats and steering wheels. I have to agree with you that this is a hard thing to define. The car still have 8 months of manufacture warranty left. Worst case scenario, I will sell the car before it runs out.

BTW, checked out your Instagram, envy those post LCI headlights and dashboard you got there.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 12:26 PM   #4
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ming_lau View Post
There is a noticeable more amount of noise in the cabin, which is inline with what you are describing here. However, my concern is over the vibrations that can be felt through the seats and steering wheels. I have to agree with you that this is a hard thing to define. The car still have 8 months of manufacture warranty left. Worst case scenario, I will sell the car before it runs out.

BTW, checked out your Instagram, envy those post LCI headlights and dashboard you got there.
Maybe swing up to the dealership and see if they have another M2 you can test drive to compare.

Don't envy the dashboard. It looks nice, but it is super fragile, and extremely easy to scratch. Mine already have noticeable scratches in it that cannot be removed.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 01:30 PM   #5
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, F23 M240i

Just some thoughts:

There will be more NVH moving from M2 to 435 but steering wheel and seat vibration shouldn't be that noticeable. Perhaps there's a tire slightly out of balance.

If the previous owner put a short shift kit in, that will usually cause some increased NVH and more vibration at the shift knob than stock.

If you find that a short shift kit was installed, perhaps the drive shaft wasn't installed exactly right which could cause a vibration through seat.

I would hope you could sort this out.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 01:54 PM   #6
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Maybe swing up to the dealership and see if they have another M2 you can test drive to compare.

Don't envy the dashboard. It looks nice, but it is super fragile, and extremely easy to scratch. Mine already have noticeable scratches in it that cannot be removed.
Manual M2's are pretty rare over here in my area. Most of them will be locked up until you have sort out an acceptable offer with the dealer before they will let you do a test drive prior to putting down a deposit. I do see a DCT M2 with similar mileage and MPE listed at another dealer. Maybe I will go check the car out over the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 01:59 PM   #7
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthFader View Post
Just some thoughts:

There will be more NVH moving from M2 to 435 but steering wheel and seat vibration shouldn't be that noticeable. Perhaps there's a tire slightly out of balance.

If the previous owner put a short shift kit in, that will usually cause some increased NVH and more vibration at the shift knob than stock.

If you find that a short shift kit was installed, perhaps the drive shaft wasn't installed exactly right which could cause a vibration through seat.

Thanks for the input. I believe the car is not modified. I had it on the lift to inspect the underbody and the exhaust. Everything seems to be untouched, and all the M Performance carbon fiber parts (mirror cap, diffuser and etc) has OEM label on it. Besides the MPE, I would assume the previous owner spent his/her budget mostly on the cosmetic parts. Also, the car is a lease return.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 07:02 AM   #8
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I don't really notice any vibrations in my manual 2017 m2 at idle unless I've just gotten used to it over the last 5 years. The shifter has some very slight ones but no worse than any other manual I've driven.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 10:24 PM   #9
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

There's a little bit of vibration at idle in my 2017, but it's only noticeable when resting my forearm on the door. I don't feel it through the steering wheel or the shifter at all.

It's only noticeable in Sport and Sport+, too. It's not noticeable at all in Comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #10
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

The M2/3/4 use stiffer engine, transmission, and differential mounts. The rear subframe also uses solid mounts vs the fluid-filled ones in other BMWs. The M2/3/4 suspension components also have stiffer bushings and in some cases, solid spherical bearings. Lastly, the suspension on the M2 is much stiffer and more damped than a 435 plus it runs 19" wheels with short sidewall tires. All of this will transmit more vibration at idle and at speed.

The M2 is certainly more raw than a 435, even the most sporty 435 variants.

Shaking of the shifter at idle is normal as the shifter in the M2 is directly connected to the transmission via rods and not a cable like many other makes.
      01-20-2021, 10:39 PM   #11
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I find it vibrates more outside of comfort mode at idle.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 11:28 PM   #12
Thevesh
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Just some thoughts:

Thanks for the input. I believe the car is not modified. I had it on the lift to inspect the underbody and the exhaust. Everything seems to be untouched, and all the M Performance carbon fiber parts (mirror cap, diffuser and etc) has OEM label on it. Besides the MPE, I would assume the previous owner spent his/her budget mostly on the cosmetic parts. Also, the car is a lease return.
Quote:
Quote:
Just some thoughts:

Check your spark plugs. I had this small issue after the 4th year change in my OG.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 06:02 PM   #13
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
The M2/3/4 use stiffer engine, transmission, and differential mounts. The rear subframe also uses solid mounts vs the fluid-filled ones in other BMWs. The M2/3/4 suspension components also have stiffer bushings and in some cases, solid spherical bearings. Lastly, the suspension on the M2 is much stiffer and more damped than a 435 plus it runs 19" wheels with short sidewall tires. All of this will transmit more vibration at idle and at speed.

The M2 is certainly more raw than a 435, even the most sporty 435 variants.

Shaking of the shifter at idle is normal as the shifter in the M2 is directly connected to the transmission via rods and not a cable like many other makes.
I just when through realOEM and checked the parts number for engine mounts between F30/F32 and the F87. It seems that the 3 series and the 4 series share the same parts numbers for both engine mounts and brackets. M2's parts numbers are different but are shared with the F82 M4.When I test drove my friends LCI M4, the vibrations at traffic lights felt a lot muted. It is very noticeable in my M2 when I have the AC on. It becomes less pronounced when I have AC off.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 06:06 PM   #14
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thevesh View Post
Check your spark plugs. I had this small issue after the 4th year change in my OG.
Did you get it sorted out under warranty? Was it diagnosed? Just the other day I went back to the dealer and had a technician sat in the car with me. He said the vibrations are normal and totally fine. If I were to go back to ask them to look into it again, it would be ideal if I can tell them something more than "felling vibration". One thing I notice now after driving for 500+km, the vibrations are more muted when I have AC off.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 06:10 PM   #15
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
There's a little bit of vibration at idle in my 2017, but it's only noticeable when resting my forearm on the door. I don't feel it through the steering wheel or the shifter at all.

It's only noticeable in Sport and Sport+, too. It's not noticeable at all in Comfort mode.
For me waiting at the light, I can feel the vibration from the steering wheel, the seat, and the arm rests. Overall, it make the car feel raw, which I can understand is the philosophy behind the car. It just make the car feel a lot less premium, which I didn't get when driving a friend's F82 M4.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 06:16 PM   #16
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
I don't really notice any vibrations in my manual 2017 m2 at idle unless I've just gotten used to it over the last 5 years. The shifter has some very slight ones but no worse than any other manual I've driven.
Do you ever notice the car idle smoother when you have the AC off?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 09:27 AM   #17
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

I think the best thing to do is to find a local M2 owner and compare each other's car
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 01:34 PM   #18
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post

For me waiting at the light, I can feel the vibration from the steering wheel, the seat, and the arm rests. Overall, it make the car feel raw, which I can understand is the philosophy behind the car. It just make the car feel a lot less premium, which I didn't get when driving a friend's F82 M4.
It is less premium than an m4.

I would suggest sitting in another m2 and feeling the idle in various modes with AC on and off to better understand if your car is out of the norm or not.
Appreciate 0