BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Rev match?

01-17-2021, 07:19 PM   #23
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Disagree, the shifter is pretty good by BMW standards and fits the car really well. Mine is notchy into 2nd, but every BMW shifter I've had or driven has been in some way. Definitely has mechanical precision to it. Not the greatest shifter ever but far from a drawback.
Driving tonight on the highway and I believe I'd appreciate a shorter throw in 5th and 6th. Obviously all gears benefit so I think I will keep this as a planned upgrade. The added mechanism precision will be a bonus.

I thought about the clutch stop, but realized that on heavy traffic it's nice to have a bit of extra dead space in the pedal as compared to more on/off. It's hard to explain, but sometimes in traffic you decide to go, then almost immediately decide to not go. The dead space gives a bit of room for this. If you I weren't daily driving it, then I think I would want the clutch stop. Anyone have any thoughts on this or DD with the BMS clutch stop?

Anyone done the CDV delete yet?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 07:25 PM   #24
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Disagree, the shifter is pretty good by BMW standards and fits the car really well. Mine is notchy into 2nd, but every BMW shifter I've had or driven has been in some way. Definitely has mechanical precision to it. Not the greatest shifter ever but far from a drawback.
I would agree it's pretty good. It's just not Tremec or GT3 good. Not even close to as good as my Toyota 86. Which is a $25,000 car.

I haven't shifted all the new car manuals available but I've shifted / owned several of them and its easily the worst of the bunch.

I'm just glad they made the manual because to get it to great (IMO) all that was required a finely crafted shifter and $500. Easy swap.

I've told the story a couple times but I'll share again:

I initially ordered my M2CS in DCT because the shifter in my M2C is so bad.

I ran into an enthusiest at a gas station in New Hampshire (I'm from Maryland) who was driving an M2C and told him I had ordered the M2CS in DCT because the M2C manual trans was so bad.

He said you made a mistake, you can change that shift feel. Have a seat in my car and feel that shifter! I did and it was amazing. I called my salesman that minute, changed my order to manual, the next day my car went into production.

Man was I lucky. Again, all of this is my experience and yours may vary. I called Ronald from Auto Solutions and ordered my shifter.

The gentleman also told me to order the The Ultimate Clutch Pedal and that's the UCP I was referring to. You can google that. I guess it changes the clutch engagement feel / pedal throw.

Again my experiences. Yours may differ. Listen to throttle house car of the year review...they will admit the shifter felt pretty bad and was a weak point of the car. They didn't mention that on their review. I guess it's bad press?
      01-17-2021, 08:40 PM   #25
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

@ptgltw what shifter spec did you order from Ronald. I may spend my CCA money on the shifter . I'll keep a lookout for you UCP settings.
Appreciate 1
kyrocks1070.50
      03-23-2021, 06:40 PM   #26
specracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS HS 6MT M8 Comp

So finally starting to drive the car (still barely), so have the M1 button programmed to go into sport plus, and fully turning off TC. well solves the wish of turning off rev match.

One annoying side effect, bright yellow warning light reminding you TC is off.

A question, no one here can answer..... WHY cant rev match be turned and off based on the drivers wishes..... Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 07:21 PM   #27
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by specracer View Post
So finally starting to drive the car (still barely), so have the M1 button programmed to go into sport plus, and fully turning off TC. well solves the wish of turning off rev match.

A question, no one here can answer..... WHY cant rev match be turned and off based on the drivers wishes..... Oh well.
I drove my F80 for 3 years with traction off every time. I got a little sideways a couple times but nothing out of control. It's doable in the CS which is more planted.

That said, I like the rev match and the gearbox stock. It's no GT3 gearbox, but for a DD it's just fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 07:29 PM   #28
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:

It can, it's a configurable option on the G80/2 now. No idea why BMW held off until the G to make this change.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      03-23-2021, 08:42 PM   #29
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Did we cover already if the Rev matching can get hit with bimmercode or ista? May be a cheap option to specracers concerns
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 01:59 AM   #30
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
If you are a good driver it won't intervene.
That's why I should have chosen DCT, Jimjamz did warn me lol
Quote:
Quote:
If you are a good driver it won't intervene.
That's why I should have chosen DCT, Jimjamz did warn me lol
Hold up. I'd have chosen a manual if I could have! The DCT has its own unique benefits but the manual would be great. I want to be able to have my wife drive the car occasionally and she's not confident on manual and will occasionally need to drive the car. It it weren't a consideration I'd have gotten manual as well . The rev match would not have been an issue for me. I do understand OP's question and others have confirmed you can turn it off when on sports plus without traction. Sports plus is not a concern frankly in this car and it's my DD option. No traction control is another matter for me at least .
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2021, 02:21 AM   #31
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Hold up. I'd have chosen a manual if I could have! The DCT has its own unique benefits but the manual would be great. I want to be able to have my wife drive the car occasionally and she's not confident on manual and will occasionally need to drive the car.
You honestly cannot use this female excuse thing. No-one can. It is a manual with a truckload of nannies that do everything but wipe your bottom. Near impossible to stall. Does hill starts for you etc etc. That should take you half a day to teach your wife.

I mean, I taught my son who's never driven at all in his life how to start from the line and change gear with a real manual gearbox (no nannies) in 2 hours.

What I'm saying is that as a skill driving manual is about as difficult as walking and chewing gum at the same time. Only very recently this has surfaced on car forums. It used to be you always chose manual as it it was the only option that gave precise car control as every other option was shit. Those days are long gone. Now it has turned into some sort of strange cult of manly heroics. Truly bizarre. Maybe just generational.

Final point. Every Australian girlfriend/partner I ever had drove a manual. In that era if you drove a small car you drove a manual.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2021, 02:48 AM   #32
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Hold up. I'd have chosen a manual if I could have! The DCT has its own unique benefits but the manual would be great. I want to be able to have my wife drive the car occasionally and she's not confident on manual and will occasionally need to drive the car.
You honestly cannot use this female excuse thing. No-one can. It is a manual with a truckload of nannies that do everything but wipe your bottom. Near impossible to stall. Does hill starts for you etc etc. That should take you half a day to teach your wife.

I mean, I taught my son who's never driven at all in his life how to start from the line and change gear with a real manual gearbox (no nannies) in 2 hours.

What I'm saying is that as a skill driving manual is about as difficult as walking and chewing gum at the same time. Only very recently this has surfaced on car forums. It used to be you always chose manual as it it was the only option that gave precise car control as every other option was shit. Those days are long gone. Now it has turned into some sort of strange cult of manly heroics. Truly bizarre. Maybe just generational.
Quote:
Quote:

I know. I know. It helped with the business case

But my plan is to get her hooked on the DCT and from there next car manual. Or I just get a third car and it's a moot point.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2021, 03:00 AM   #33
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

But my plan is to get her hooked on the DCT and from there next car manual. Or I just get a third car and it's a moot point.
If you really want a manual buy an older second car where it makes more sense and is also a ton more fun. Heaps of great choices out there!
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2021, 03:33 AM   #34
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

If you really want a manual buy an older second car where it makes more sense and is also a ton more fun. Heaps of great choices out there!
It makes a lot of sense. Especially with newer manuals harder to come by. For now I get my manual fix hiring cars when travelling (not that that happens often anymore
Appreciate 2
Davil6485.50
      03-24-2021, 04:30 AM   #35
specracer
First Lieutenant
Rep

I came out of a 2015 F80 M3, Sport plus would disable rev match, but TC was on. Im perfectly comfortable with TC off, however on the street, unknown tire temps, its not terrible to have it on, track, off it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
I drove my F80 for 3 years with traction off every time. I got a little sideways a couple times but nothing out of control. It's doable in the CS which is more planted.
Please elaborate, as this is different than my understanding. As is the posts early in this thread, I posted this just prior to buying the CS, so I knew what I was in for. The dealer at delivery confirmed this thread as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
It can, it's a configurable option on the G80/2 now. No idea why BMW held off until the G to make this change.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 05:08 AM   #36
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with him Jimjamz, get an older manual car; something like the 3.0 CSL should do
Jimjamz4565.00
      03-24-2021, 07:27 PM   #37
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with him Jimjamz, get an older manual car; something like the 3.0 CSL should do
If only!
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2021, 12:32 AM   #38
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It makes a lot of sense. Especially with newer manuals harder to come by. For now I get my manual fix hiring cars when travelling (not that that happens often anymore
Here you go. What a beauty.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-7053815/?Cr=5
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2021, 01:52 AM   #39
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Here you go. What a beauty.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-7053815/?Cr=5
Crikey, that looks immaculate
Davil6485.50
      03-25-2021, 04:57 AM   #40
specracer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Funny that posters are suggesting sticking with older stuff. I have speculated that this might be my last M car (must be a manual). The majority of our collection is now over 10 years old. An exception to this is a fast DCT car. I get how much "faster" it is but it looses so much enjoyment for me. I've come to the conclusion it will be our one and only DCT car. Again, zero doubt DCT is faster, its just less enjoyable to me, and enjoyment is what its all about.

Last edited by specracer; 03-25-2021 at 05:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 07:34 AM   #41
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Funny that posters are suggesting sticking with older stuff. I have speculated that this might be my last M car (must be a manual). The majority of our collection is now over 10 years old. An exception to this is a fast DCT car. I get how much "faster" it is but it looses so much enjoyment for me. I've come to the conclusion it will be our one and only DCT car. Again, zero doubt DCT is faster, its just less enjoyable to me, and enjoyment is what its all about.
This is my only M car after the F80 goes back tomorrow. In fact it's my only car, besides my wife's giant Infiniti. It had to be manual for me since I need at least one in the garage. The fact my wife can't drive it is a bonus!

I totally get why people choose the DCT though. It's a great transmission and also going away. It's a different kind of joy slapping through the gears instantly.
Appreciate 1
specracer314.50