BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > CarPlay vs Sirius satellite audio quality

01-15-2021, 06:27 PM   #1
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Comp F83

CarPlay vs Sirius satellite audio quality

There is a dramatic difference in audio quality from streaming CarPlay vs Sirius satellite. CarPlay I have to increase volume tremendously and it doesn’t have the dynamic range. CarPlay sounds like a blanket on the speakers

Thought to upgrade speakers but why if they sound so much better with different source.

Has this been discussed with any solutions?

I am going to use BimmerCode to adjust EQ but again. Sirius sounds great as in. CarPlay not.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 11:25 PM   #2
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Interesting observation, because Sirius is streaming data from 20 year old pipes with low bitrates. It's objectively lower quality audio than anything else in the car, except AM.

CarPlay should sound worlds better, but you also need to play high quality source material. If you're streaming 32 or 64 kbps audio through CarPlay, of course it's going to sound terrible. If you're playing 320 kbps AAC audio stored on the device, it's going to sound better.

Garbage in, garbage out.

Want to blow your mind? Try HD radio. Or a CD.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 02:03 PM   #3
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep

I’m playing a streaming service. I’ll try local music on my device.

Maybe I’ll pull out my old CD car case as I just found my box of CDs from storage !!!
Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      01-17-2021, 08:15 PM   #4
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I rip my CDs to the cars hard drive. One of the last cars made that has this capability. HD radio in BMWs is awesome. The HD radio in my Volvo doesn't sound nearly as good. Much depends on implementation of the audio systems from the manufacturers .
      01-18-2021, 09:39 AM   #5
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep

I also just read some use old iPhone or usb drive/stick in center console.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 10:27 PM   #6
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
SiriusXM on iPhone has 3 separate bitrate settings - by default I'm pretty sure it's at the low setting. If you're on an unlimited (or high limit) data plan, switch it to the highest bitrate setting, which is allegedly 320kbps - sound quality is DRAMATICALLY better than the default, which is either 64 or 128kbps. When on long road trips in my Golf R I always stream via CarPlay and it sounds as good as CDs (to the naked ear in a noisy car, anyways).
      01-20-2021, 05:27 PM   #7
CannibalOx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Could be the bluetooth codec. I'm not sure if you're using wireless CarPlay. I'm also not sure if this applicable to as I don't know what codecs Apple uses, or BMW for that matter. There are several higher quality bluetooth codecs (eg ldac, aptx hd) but if your phone and the devices you're connecting to don't use the same higher codec then it will default to a lower quality one.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 07:27 PM   #8
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannibalOx View Post
Could be the bluetooth codec. I'm not sure if you're using wireless CarPlay. I'm also not sure if this applicable to as I don't know what codecs Apple uses, or BMW for that matter. There are several higher quality bluetooth codecs (eg ldac, aptx hd) but if your phone and the devices you're connecting to don't use the same higher codec then it will default to a lower quality one.
CarPlay doesn't use Bluetooth for streaming to the car. It uses WiFi and is not compressed, it is lossless.

It depends on the service op is using for music and the quality of the music files.
Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      01-21-2021, 09:28 AM   #9
CannibalOx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Thanks, as an Android user I just have never set that up and haven't done much reading into how the system works.
Appreciate 0