BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > FREE: 3D Printed Clutch Stop for Manual Transmissions

04-21-2024, 01:10 PM   #1
Distinct
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
FREE: 3D Printed Clutch Stop for Manual Transmissions

As mentioned in the "What did you do today?" thread, sharing a link to free files so you can print this yourself.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  360.8 KB

This is a part designed to address the excessively long clutch travel on manual transmission BMW, specifically M2 Competition (that is the tested vehicle). The original design has excess travel way beyond the clutch engagement point. Additionally, when I inspected the original piece, it had also worn away and this likely exaggerated the travel distance a small amount. The parts are designed and oriented for printing and for strength against any layer weakness as well as bed levelling (elephants foot). Remove the old clutch stop/buffer and insert the base, which is 10 mm in thickness. Then add any of the available spacers. They are friction fit but you could also epoxy them in after you have finalized on what works best for you. The benefit of this design is that you don't need to remove the entire core base to swap spacers. The thickest spacer is 10 mm. In combination with the base, it is 20 mm thickness and each spacer is marked as the total thickness including the base. Recommend TPU and printing at 0.2 mm layer resolution with 100% infill if you want absolute strength and heat resistance. I am running TPU base with 4 walls, tops and bottoms and 50% gyroid infill on the base part and PLA+ for the spacers. Being under the dash and not exposed to direct sunlight, even with a hot car during the summer, there should be no issues. I have tested the 20 mm spacer clutch engagement and the car starts up (ECU recognizes acceptable clutch depression). Driving is so much better. The clutch feels like my foot is stepping on a button compared with the long travel of the original setup. If you have access to CAD, you can make the spacers any thickness you want.

Installation tip: After removing the pedal panel under the dash and closely examining the metal bracket that takes the clutch stop, it's important to push upwards. I believe that some people who had difficulty installing other clutch stops were pushing forwards and the BMW hole is oriented slightly up and not just horizontally. It is a tight fit and I had to twist it around to get it in. Then pressed the clutch pedal hard to really seat it. First time I pressed the clutch pedal to try and start the car as a test, it did not work and after some strong pedal pushes, it was fully seated. I don't recommend going thicker than 20 mm.

https://www.printables.com/model/852...le-clutch-stop
Appreciate 4
(K)1279.50
pz6193278.50
philth209.00
      04-21-2024, 06:34 PM   #2
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Amazing. Thanks for posting. I might try this out for the fun of it. I’ll probably swap the PLA for PETG just in case.
Appreciate 1
Distinct147.00
      04-21-2024, 08:19 PM   #3
Distinct
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Amazing. Thanks for posting. I might try this out for the fun of it. I’ll probably swap the PLA for PETG just in case.
If you have a printer, it's hilarious how fast and cheap it might transform the driving experience. I think the base in TPU was 28 minutes. Printing all three spacers was less than a hour.

PETG would be great. Good luck and hope this turns out simple and fun for you! As others have mentioned in the other posts, you don't need to remove the pedal panel, I did it to analyze the mounting bracket and back of the pedal arm contact on the stopping pad.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 01:35 PM   #4
Distinct
Private
Rep

Garage List
UPDATE: With some more driving and testing, I have added a 18 mm option that is a little less aggressive than the 20 mm. This is the one I am using now and should guarantee ignition start-up and buffer for clutch engagement even with light pedal pressure to bottom.
Appreciate 0