BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS vs Mustang Mach 1 vs Type R - Battle of the Special Editions by Throttle House

06-07-2021, 03:18 PM   #67
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_Dual_Clutch View Post
Having it for about 20hrs now lol, this thing just wants you to wring it’s neck around town (obv still in breakin so I cant). And since I drive that way anyway, this is perfect. 0% chance the wife will be a passenger in it due to MI roads. I can hear the “I’m going to barf” now.
Give it a try...my wife was often feeling "not well" in my 2016 M2, but has not yet said it once with the CS, after 3 months, those suspensions in Comfort mode do make a difference! (Houston roads are not the best either...).
Houston roads are some of the worst. Odd for a place that's completely flat and only sees snow once every ~10 years.

I have a 2020 M2C. Maybe we should compare and contrast compliance on local roads sometime.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 05:59 PM   #68
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
Love the M2.
It may sound stupid but the lack of Next/Previous buttons on the steering wheel was a deal breaker for me.
I personally don't prioritize tech over performance in my "sports" cars, but I skip to next or previous tracks from the steering wheel. There's a scroll wheel between the volume buttons on the right side of the steering wheel.
Spot on. The scroll wheel provides next and previous as well as rapid scroll with the list of tracks visible on the black screen between the speedo and taco. Pressing down the scroll wheel activates the current selection. As the wheel is analogue and ridged it provides haptic feedback so you don't have to actually look at the wheel to move through tracks.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 10:18 PM   #69
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I personally don't prioritize tech over performance in my "sports" cars, but I skip to next or previous tracks from the steering wheel. There's a scroll wheel between the volume buttons on the right side of the steering wheel.
I know but requires "finesse" as you can skip more than one and is not practical.
Appreciate 1
smknjoe234.00
      06-07-2021, 11:18 PM   #70
PresidentEvil
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
I'm waiting for the Savagegeese review of the CS where he says it sucks cause its easy to drive.
lol I've seen that melonhead's BMW reviews, he is cringe
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #71
sbom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Houston roads are some of the worst. Odd for a place that's completely flat and only sees snow once every ~10 years.

I have a 2020 M2C. Maybe we should compare and contrast compliance on local roads sometime.
Hehe. I've been challenged by a bunch of Audis and Mustangs on the road so far, but not yet by other fellow M drivers
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 01:45 PM   #72
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentEvil View Post
Don't get the hate here. He's direct about what he likes and doesn't, has a viewpoint, and sticks to it. Just because he isn't always kind to BMW's and points out some of the feel changes I don't get why that is a giant negative. I've watched him and Throttle House for years now and think they both are on the upper end of the YT sphere of car reviews.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      06-08-2021, 01:48 PM   #73
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M Coupe

Only decent car reviewer out there. They're the only ones that actually dive into the technical details of cars. They don't just read the stupid press sheets and repeat stuff that is meaningless. They actually give the viewer a good look of the undercarriage so you can see how crappy or not crappy a car really is. I don't really care for any other reviewer out there these days, as all they are doing is just repeating advertising talking points that the manufacturer gave them, and then they'll just drive the car and give no real criticism.

You'll note he doesn't like the M2C for personal reasons, but admits it's about the best car for the money.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 02:36 PM   #74
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by city1991 View Post
I owned a 2019 Bullitt and test drove a Mach 1, Bullitt is by far a much better car.
Tell me how "by far" its better. The Mach has the same engine, a better transmission, has a manual.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 08:41 PM   #75
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
Don't get the hate here. He's direct about what he likes and doesn't, has a viewpoint, and sticks to it. Just because he isn't always kind to BMW's and points out some of the feel changes I don't get why that is a giant negative. I've watched him and Throttle House for years now and think they both are on the upper end of the YT sphere of car reviews.
Judges a car mainly by how high it revs (preferably in normally aspirated form) and whether it rotates well under braking/trail braking. If a car doesn't do that, its considered to be a subpar driving experience. Plus points to a car if most if not all of the physical components (engine, gearbox, suspension, interior) were bespoke. He'd hate the CS because the price premium is mainly due to software calibration by highly paid german engineers, which cannot be easily quantified in a technical review.

For all the effort he puts into his reviews as far as technical breakdown, thats basically his conclusion about all cars. If you can find an instance where i'm exaggerating, i'd love to hear it, but i've watched hours of his videos and thats my summary.

His LC500 review almost makes me believe that Toyota paid him to do it. ("My goal was to be neutral and objective throughout........this is one of the best modern cars I've ever driven")

Last edited by ScullyD; 06-08-2021 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 06:05 AM   #76
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentEvil View Post
I like his videos. Mainly as they are well produced and he is so incredibly weird. Like Everyday Driver. Another great channel with complete weirdos. Weirdos make much better videos than the typical "Hi guys, like and subscribe" play awkward really bad rights free reverse bass music and stutter amidst the bad wind noise with random volume levels and zero entertainment. Bonus that he reminds me of Keven Spacey and displays sexual tension with Hawaiian guy in the olde shoppe or whatever they call it. I don't agree with many of his conclusions but you can't argue with the quality of his weird videos.
Appreciate 1
MDuckie93.00
      06-09-2021, 12:18 PM   #77
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Judges a car mainly by how high it revs (preferably in normally aspirated form) and whether it rotates well under braking/trail braking. If a car doesn't do that, its considered to be a subpar driving experience. Plus points to a car if most if not all of the physical components (engine, gearbox, suspension, interior) were bespoke. He'd hate the CS because the price premium is mainly due to software calibration by highly paid german engineers, which cannot be easily quantified in a technical review.

For all the effort he puts into his reviews as far as technical breakdown, thats basically his conclusion about all cars. If you can find an instance where i'm exaggerating, i'd love to hear it, but i've watched hours of his videos and thats my summary.

His LC500 review almost makes me believe that Toyota paid him to do it. ("My goal was to be neutral and objective throughout........this is one of the best modern cars I've ever driven")
Back to my original point - he has a viewpoint and he sticks with it. He has certain driving characteristics and build characteristics that he likes in particular. He emphasizes them. That's part of the package of his reviews. If you don't think that there's a viewpoint or a theme to the thoughts behind any given reviewer or writer than they either aren't very good or you aren't paying attention. Now if you disagree with his viewpoint, then fine/great! It doesn't make him a bad channel or reviewer. They do a technically great job, and they've created a unique format and aesthetic that works for them and their messaging which is solid. I think they do a very nice job overall. Doesn't mean you have to agree with their stance on good/bad for a car, or the cars they review in general is all.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 02:52 PM   #78
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

He's the probably the most comprehensive reviewer on YouTube. And you can tell he really enjoys driving and pushing his driving skills further. I really enjoy his content.

Is he opinionated? Yes. People act like this is a bad thing. You can disagree with someone and the world won't end.

Does he like German cars? Definitely not and he admits it. However, his opinion seems to be changing with the last couple of Porsches his sidekick procured.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 03:10 PM   #79
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M Coupe

Quote:
He's the probably the most comprehensive reviewer on YouTube. And you can tell he really enjoys driving and pushing his driving skills further. I really enjoy his content.

Is he opinionated? Yes. People act like this is a bad thing. You can disagree with someone and the world won't end.

Does he like German cars? Definitely not and he admits it. However, his opinion seems to be changing with the last couple of Porsches his sidekick procured.
Can you blame him? His E92 M3 was a pile.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 11:07 AM   #80
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchart View Post
Quote:

Can you blame him? His E92 M3 was a pile.
It was.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 11:54 PM   #81
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
They reviewed another blue car. Interesting comments from Thomas re the M2CS at the end.

Appreciate 4
      11-04-2022, 01:21 AM   #82
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
That new M4CSL is honkingly quick. We've been bumped down another spot. Love Throttle House.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4581.50
      11-04-2022, 10:17 AM   #83
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
That new M4CSL is honkingly quick. We've been bumped down another spot. Love Throttle House.
I think there is a typo….either wrong position, or typo in the lap time. The Corvette ZR1 is quicker if the lap times are correct.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
Davil6523.00
      11-04-2022, 11:14 AM   #84
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Throttle House is good content but their track is too short / small and so driver margin of error has big influence on their results. I would not really take much from these numbers either way.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 09:42 PM   #85
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Throttle House is good content but their track is too short / small and so driver margin of error has big influence on their results. I would not really take much from these numbers either way.
Disagree. That track is bumpy and twisty and really close to driving on actual roads so gives a nice indication of real world performance.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 11:09 PM   #86
s1k_RR
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
As a Viper fan and owner (although not an ACR), I'm curious how an ACR would do on those legendary Cup 2R tires.

Here's another track day test, same time and day

with results from a very good driver, Jeff Cook. If you watch some of his videos he is quicker then Randy Pobst and on lesser tires when doing some of these lap times.

What the 4CSL did is impressive af.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 11:47 PM   #87
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Disagree. That track is bumpy and twisty and really close to driving on actual roads so gives a nice indication of real world performance.
I don't think a single 1 minute lap is a consistent measure of anything. Would be good if 3 laps are averaged or something. It's not a comment about the BMWs or how the cars finished, just an observation. I have the same problem with the "Streets of Willow" and the many tests American mags have done there.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 06:23 PM   #88
WagonMaverick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
They reviewed another blue car. Interesting comments from Thomas re the M2CS at the end.

If you want to skip to M2 car talk, jump straight to minute 7:50
Appreciate 0