BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2C MPE Install Questions

04-19-2020, 08:01 PM   #1
bioman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30

M2C MPE Install Questions

Just installed that MPE for a M2C.

Couple of questions if anyone has experience installing these.

Is there any reasonable way to adjust the tips up/down? Based on install, the main exhaust and tips are not adjustable as the rubber hangers seem to determine the final position.

The pipes that are on the inner section of the main muffler don't bolt flush with the pipes coming from the resonator. I clamped it to spec and so far no leaks, but it seems a bit janky if this is by design. Is this normal?

Just FYI, the main exhaust section is not attached to any hangers, but held up by clamping to the 4 pipes coming off the resonator. Might be ok since the exhaust is pretty light, but also seems a bit weird to me.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 05:43 AM   #2
cb804
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340 xDrive, M2C

How do you like the exhaust? Is there a big enough difference versus the stock exhaust to justify the price. Any feedback would be appreciated. I feel the stock exhaust is on the quiet side and would like something louder but not over the top loud.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 01:46 PM   #3
ambot
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb804 View Post
How do you like the exhaust? Is there a big enough difference versus the stock exhaust to justify the price. Any feedback would be appreciated. I feel the stock exhaust is on the quiet side and would like something louder but not over the top loud.

Thanks,
I love the MPE that is on mine! perfect tone and volume for me. I would describe it as "Balanced". I am not one who cares for SCREAMIN' loud exhausts. Just a bit of ruckus without sounding ricey! lol

I like the 2 completely different personalities it has between comfort and Sport +. Barely hear it in comfort, and a blast in Sport+
Appreciate 1
cb8042351.00
      05-11-2020, 05:08 PM   #4
Luhrenzo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Bioman,

A few questions as I'm interested in purchasing the MPE...

How was installation?

Is there a remote to control the valves? And do you HAVE to use that remote or can you control the valves by setting the different driving modes? I would hate to spend that much money and only operate the exhaust based off of a Bluetooth device.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 06:29 PM   #5
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luhrenzo View Post
Bioman,

A few questions as I'm interested in purchasing the MPE...

How was installation?

Is there a remote to control the valves? And do you HAVE to use that remote or can you control the valves by setting the different driving modes? I would hate to spend that much money and only operate the exhaust based off of a Bluetooth device.
The MPE for the M2C doesn't have a remote for the valves. The exhaust flaps are integrated into your normal modes in the car like your stock exhaust valves.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
willb33.00
      05-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #6
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioman View Post
Just installed that MPE for a M2C.

Couple of questions if anyone has experience installing these.

Is there any reasonable way to adjust the tips up/down? Based on install, the main exhaust and tips are not adjustable as the rubber hangers seem to determine the final position.

The pipes that are on the inner section of the main muffler don't bolt flush with the pipes coming from the resonator. I clamped it to spec and so far no leaks, but it seems a bit janky if this is by design. Is this normal?

Just FYI, the main exhaust section is not attached to any hangers, but held up by clamping to the 4 pipes coming off the resonator. Might be ok since the exhaust is pretty light, but also seems a bit weird to me.

Thanks.
Any resolution to this? I got everything to fit perfectly but it definitely sits low. I've seen photos where it sits that low and others where it's higher up...

Instagram: @Capt_and
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 12:55 PM   #7
bioman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_and View Post
Any resolution to this? I got everything to fit perfectly but it definitely sits low. I've seen photos where it sits that low and others where it's higher up...
Not really, unless you get some custom rubber mounts or shorten the hanger lengths.

You can get a few more mm of height by pushing the mid-pipes toward the rear and then clamping them in place. The rubber hangers will slightly angle themselves towards the back, but its not a huge change.

Mine looks pretty much like this:
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 02:56 PM   #8
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not really, unless you get some custom rubber mounts or shorten the hanger lengths.

You can get a few more mm of height by pushing the mid-pipes toward the rear and then clamping them in place. The rubber hangers will slightly angle themselves towards the back, but its not a huge change.

Mine looks pretty much like this:
Ok. Mine looks exactly like that. Bummer, I was hoping there was an installation error on my part that could make the exhaust go a tad higher. It looks a tad thrown together sitting so low.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 01:04 AM   #9
cb804
Captain
Rep

So I'm ready to purchase the M sport exhaust from one of the the online vendors and have it shipped to my house. Does the exhaust get shipped in pieces? I'm worried about getting the exhaust into the car to go to to the installer. Any guidance wound be appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 08:01 AM   #10
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb804 View Post
So I'm ready to purchase the M sport exhaust from one of the the online vendors and have it shipped to my house. Does the exhaust get shipped in pieces? I'm worried about getting the exhaust into the car to go to to the installer. Any guidance wound be appreciated. Thanks.
It should fit in the car no problem once you take it all out of the packaging. Getting stock exhaust back might be trickier.

Appreciate 1
cb8042351.00
      05-13-2020, 11:05 AM   #11
ChrisWalks
Rep
Drives: M2C

I was looking at the install from BMW's show car with all M performance parts in this thread

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1495278

The exhaust on this car doesn't have a huge tail pipe gap, but it looks like it is also pushed in a bit. They actually took pictures of the hangers on this car and they aren't hanging down straight, but instead are at an angle toward the front of the car which should reduce the gap. I've been thinking about doing this to my car to see how it looks but haven't done it yet.

Anyone willing to try to see how it turns out?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 03:42 AM   #12
bioman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWalks View Post
I was looking at the install from BMW's show car with all M performance parts in this thread

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1495278

The exhaust on this car doesn't have a huge tail pipe gap, but it looks like it is also pushed in a bit. They actually took pictures of the hangers on this car and they aren't hanging down straight, but instead are at an angle toward the front of the car which should reduce the gap. I've been thinking about doing this to my car to see how it looks but haven't done it yet.

Anyone willing to try to see how it turns out?
You could try that. Only downside, if you care, will be that the tips will be more tucked into the bumper. They’ll expand out a bit as you drive and the metal gets warm.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 03:20 PM   #13
ChrisWalks
Rep

Imo it looks better with the tips tucked in than it does with them hanging so low.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 07:53 PM   #14
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Imo it looks better with the tips tucked in than it does with them hanging so low.
I'm with you on this. Tips need to be height a tucked a little more. I'm keeping an eye on this thread to see how it turns out!

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 06:55 PM   #15
ChrisWalks
Rep

Just tried it on my car and can confirm if you're okay with your exhaust tips being tucked into the bumper it will reduce the gap from the diffuser.

The hangers need to be moved a few degrees toward the front of the car. If they are hanging straight down you will have a larger gap. Imo doing this makes the car look like it came from the factory with the exhaust installed and not as much of a DIY look. Does a much better job hiding the giant muffler as well.

Shout out to EAS for doing a great job!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Ftpohyeah285.00
      05-19-2020, 09:10 PM   #16
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just tried it on my car and can confirm if you're okay with your exhaust tips being tucked into the bumper it will reduce the gap from the diffuser.

The hangers need to be moved a few degrees toward the front of the car. If they are hanging straight down you will have a larger gap. Imo doing this makes the car look like it came from the factory with the exhaust installed and not as much of a DIY look. Does a much better job hiding the giant muffler as well.

Shout out to EAS for doing a great job!
What did they do to get the hangers to come forward more?

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 10:03 PM   #17
ChrisWalks
Rep

I believe they had to cut more off the stock exhaust pipes, so the slip on exhaust could be pushed in further. Once its cut an appropriate length its just a matter of reinstalling everything.

The installation instructions tell you to cut a certain length off each pipe, but I don't think they tell you to cut off enough, because 1 the slip on exhaust hangs at an obtuse angle, and isn't level with the stock exhaust if installed as the directions say, and 2 the instructions also say to cut more off for thermal expansion if necessary.

Also because if you look at BMW's press car it doesn't hang so low.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 02:12 PM   #18
bioman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I believe they had to cut more off the stock exhaust pipes, so the slip on exhaust could be pushed in further. Once its cut an appropriate length its just a matter of reinstalling everything.

The installation instructions tell you to cut a certain length off each pipe, but I don't think they tell you to cut off enough, because 1 the slip on exhaust hangs at an obtuse angle, and isn't level with the stock exhaust if installed as the directions say, and 2 the instructions also say to cut more off for thermal expansion if necessary.

Also because if you look at BMW's press car it doesn't hang so low.
How much more did you end up cutting the stock pipes?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:15 PM   #19
ChrisWalks
Rep

Quote:
How much more did you end up cutting the stock pipes?
I'm not actually sure, but I don't think it was any more than an inch. If you want I can measure it later this week.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 07:43 AM   #20
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I tried to push the exhaust back in further... all that did for me was push the tips in a bit. It still hangs down pretty low.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 11:55 AM   #21
ChrisWalks
Rep

Quote:
I tried to push the exhaust back in further... all that did for me was push the tips in a bit. It still hangs down pretty low.
Heres a couple more pictures of how mine is installed showing the red, and black hangers, where the muffler is sitting, and showing that the exhaust tips are hanging roughly one inch below the diffuser.

One thing I want to say is I think its unrealistic to get it to sit as high as a third party exhaust like the akrapovic. This just makes it sit at about the same hight as the factory exhaust.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 05:44 AM   #22
cb804
Captain
Rep

If you switched out exhausts to MPE, what did you do with the stock exhaust? Is it worth anything?
Appreciate 0