BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Don't Update Your Software At The Dealer

05-15-2019, 06:08 AM   #67
ICantDrive4Sht
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Bit of info for UK owners:

Got a broken windscreen last week (arrgh! FFS!) So it got recovered to local BMW for a new one today.

Anyway, they notified me of "pending items" they've fixed:

Tyre Pressure Sticker
Rear light fixing.

I asked about software updates (worried they might have done that too) and they said there are NO updates pending for my vehicle.

Mines a Oct 18 build, run in service Dec 18.

No worries about this tuning lock update then...
I also had the rear light problem, it was fixed on delivery, but i still have the tyre sticker problem. Took the car to break-in service and They said that there are no stickers anywhere in the world, and said they do it in next service. Which is in 28 000km. According to them it "may take up to a year or more" to get the stickers.
They also didn`t update my software because of this, so the car still says "full drivetrain power in use soon" Which means no launch control. They think this is okay for the next 28 000km, but i disagree completelly. Going to phone them today and talk this through

Last edited by ICantDrive4Sht; 05-15-2019 at 06:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 09:57 AM   #68
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

In reference to my earlier worries about my software being updated at RIS - I can confirm it wasn’t. The BM3 CS tune was installed without issue
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #69
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_BMW View Post
In reference to my earlier worries about my software being updated at RIS - I can confirm it wasn’t. The BM3 CS tune was installed without issue
Please provide feedback of driving impressions on the CS tune. Are you manual or DCT?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #70
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICantDrive4Sht View Post
I also had the rear light problem, it was fixed on delivery, but i still have the tyre sticker problem. Took the car to break-in service and They said that there are no stickers anywhere in the world, and said they do it in next service. Which is in 28 000km. According to them it "may take up to a year or more" to get the stickers.
They also didn`t update my software because of this, so the car still says "full drivetrain power in use soon" Which means no launch control. They think this is okay for the next 28 000km, but i disagree completelly. Going to phone them today and talk this through
I think your dealer is taking crap. Find another one!

28000km wtf?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #71
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Please provide feedback of driving impressions on the CS tune. Are you manual or DCT?
DCT. Just like stock but a very linear and progressive map. You definitely notice more shove across the rev range. Car should’ve come this way from stock. Very easy interface and I was up and running in 5 minutes. 👍🏽
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 02:49 AM   #72
SimonBam
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_BMW View Post
DCT. Just like stock but a very linear and progressive map. You definitely notice more shove across the rev range. Car should’ve come this way from stock. Very easy interface and I was up and running in 5 minutes. 👍🏽

I also run the CS+ map and its just like stock, but more urgent up top. lovely tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 02:55 AM   #73
doughboy
Major General
Rep

News...

BMW now told me there is an update for my car but i told them not to install it.

As it's only classed as a "quality enhancement" it's not compulsory.

They gave me the usual BS but i said its my right to refuse it. I said send me all the details of the update, ill consider it in my own time if i think i want it we can get it done later.

They said no problem sir.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 06:48 AM   #74
MRosth
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
News...

BMW now told me there is an update for my car but i told them not to install it.

They gave me the usual BS but i said its my right to refuse it. I said send me all the details of the update, ill consider it in my own time if i think i want it we can get it done later.

It was mandatory in Sweden.....
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #75
Arrow29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 comp, X5 M50i ordered

Quote:
News...

I'm in Australia where updates at mandatory either, but the thing I'm worried about is dropping it off for the run in service and then being told they've updated it when I go to pick it up.

Deciding whether to say when I drop it off don't update any software (which they may not have even thought about before but then alerted them) vs taking a chance / hoping they'd ask me before doing anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #76
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow29 View Post
I'm in Australia where updates at mandatory either, but the thing I'm worried about is dropping it off for the run in service and then being told they've updated it when I go to pick it up.

Deciding whether to say when I drop it off don't update any software (which they may not have even thought about before but then alerted them) vs taking a chance / hoping they'd ask me before doing anything.
Definitely ask first. Just say you don't want it now. You'll sort it later.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 11:10 AM   #77
rjtoudouze
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw M2, 335, Toyota MR2

I did my RIS yesterday and mentioned to the SA not to touch the DME. He said no problem and asked if I had tuned. I said no, but keeping my options open.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 10:09 PM   #78
Trapperj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

My nav screen had been acting up for sometime. Finally grew tired of it so I flashed and locked before dealer visit. Well, first thing they tried was software, of course the problem remained. Next on their list was to replace the screen which did fix the problem. Unfortunately, now when trying to re-flash the BM3, it won’t recognize. I knew there was a possibility the ECU would be locked but was sorta in a jam. ( wife wanted it fixed )
I miss the extra push. Hope they come up with a work around soon.

Last edited by Trapperj; 06-01-2019 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #79
rjtoudouze
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw M2, 335, Toyota MR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperj View Post
My nav screen had been acting up for sometime. Finally grew tired of it so I flashed and locked before dealer visit. Well, first thing they tried was software, of course the problem remained. Next on their list was to replace the screen which did fix the problem. Unfortunately, now when trying to re-flash the BM3, it won’t recognize. I knew there was a possibility the ECU would be locked but was sorta in a jam. ( wife wanted it fixed )
I miss the extra push. Hope they come up with a work around soon.
This is my concern with any of the flash tunes. Unless they can crack the lockout, every dealer visit risks your tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #80
Trapperj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtoudouze View Post
This is my concern with any of the flash tunes. Unless they can crack the lockout, every dealer visit risks your tune.
I had a brief conversation with my S/A. He told me that normally a reflash seemed to fix the fuzzy screen less than 1/2 the time. If the new software didn’t fix then the next step was to replace the screen.

I thought about requesting them to jump straight to the screen replacement, this saving my ability to reflash, but I reckon there’s protocol in place & they have to do whatever the motherland says. This way, they sorta kill two birds with one stone. Nav works, and ECU locked.

Car sure does feel neutered with the stock tune. Had been running stage 1 93 octane. The upside is my tires will last much longer now.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2019, 10:03 AM   #81
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperj View Post
I had a brief conversation with my S/A. He told me that normally a reflash seemed to fix the fuzzy screen less than 1/2 the time. If the new software didn’t fix then the next step was to replace the screen.

I thought about requesting them to jump straight to the screen replacement, this saving my ability to reflash, but I reckon there’s protocol in place & they have to do whatever the motherland says. This way, they sorta kill two birds with one stone. Nav works, and ECU locked.

Car sure does feel neutered with the stock tune. Had been running stage 1 93 octane. The upside is my tires will last much longer now.
Yup, first thing for any warranty fix is "upgrade the software sir".

I just hope mine doesn't need any warranty work until Bootmode cracks the OBD lock.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #82
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

wait til BMW develops OTA updates where you don't get to opt out
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 09:04 PM   #83
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazet View Post
wait til BMW develops OTA updates where you don't get to opt out
Yep, this is coming. Along with OTA diagnostics and telemetry that will betray your tune. It will take some very clever hacks to bypass this stuff. Probably a cat and mouse game every update.
Appreciate 1
gmazet307.00
      06-04-2019, 04:17 AM   #84
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Yep, this is coming. Along with OTA diagnostics and telemetry that will betray your tune. It will take some very clever hacks to bypass this stuff. Probably a cat and mouse game every update.
For these kind of reasons, at 47 this will be the last new car i ever buy with plans to tune / mod

I'll be going backwards from here, older, cheaper, lighter, noisier and less or no restrictions.

Happy days.
Appreciate 2
gmazet307.00
      06-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #85
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
For these kind of reasons, at 47 this will be the last new car i ever buy with plans to tune / mod

I'll be going backwards from here, older, cheaper, lighter, noisier and less or no restrictions.

Happy days.
You are not the only one!

MR
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #86
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
You are not the only one!

MR
Off topic: How did you get that unit you put into your aircon vent? Can't remember the name of the company but awhile back I looked at their website and they didn't have it for M2 anymore.
Does it plug into your OBD port? Does the dealer hassle you about it?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 04:08 PM   #87
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proctor750 View Post
Off topic: How did you get that unit you put into your aircon vent? Can't remember the name of the company but awhile back I looked at their website and they didn't have it for M2 anymore.
Does it plug into your OBD port? Does the dealer hassle you about it?
It is called the Awron display. You can order it maybe at some local Awron dealers who might have one in stock.

Dealers don't know what it is and just leave it aside. They don't do service on air vents. You can't replace the oil of an air vent, so they just look passed it.

It goes into the CAN bus. The P3Cars display goes into the ODB port.

MR
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2019, 09:19 AM   #88
Faikius
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2 Comp / 16' Golf R

Quote:

Happy days.
Have a feeling in the next few years the tuner culture will have two choices, go back to older models with an established aftermarket, or go forward to electric. I wonder who the first person will be to hack in a "super ludicrous mode" on their Tesla

I honestly believe this will be my last new gas powered ride as well. In the future would probably look back to a Cayman or similar to scratch my manual transmission itch.
Appreciate 0