BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Active Autowerke M2 Competition Midpipe Install Instructions

02-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Active Autowerke M2 Competition Midpipe Install Instructions

I installed the AA midpipe yesterday on my M2 Comp and it came without instructions. The link on the AA webpage ended up being the M3/M4 and not the M2.

Here is a link the the M2C install instructions:
https://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Ac...5da4999c9c1e77

My quick review:
- Not a crazy difference in sound on the M2C to be completely honest. Slightly deeper and slightly louder...slightly. (Stock Downpipes, No tune, Efficient/Sport/Sport+ tested) For anyone in California you should not be worried about installing this mod...not in the slightest.
- Rear clamps definitely don't fully seal and they seem like junk to me but I've been spoiled with V-band everything for quite some time. I will most likely get v-bands installed and these ball clamps removed/piping welded together at a later date.
- Lastly I'm still after a deeper and better sounding symphony from the exhaust so if anyone in SoCal has the Signature Exhaust maybe we could get together for a listen. I have VRSF downpipes to install at a later date when I decide to tune but that will be a little bit.
Madmat50.00
      02-12-2019, 11:09 AM   #2
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Very nice! I couldn't open the PDF though, says the file is damaged. Might be a problem with my comp though.

I'm considering pairing the midpipe with the Remus exhaust. Any difference in power/feel?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #3
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I have a hard time believing that the sound is minimal. You are getting rid of two secardary cats and a reasonstor. This should increase the sound.

I am thinking of doing the same thing. Are there any leaks in the clamps AA provided to couple the cut muffler and mid pipe together?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #4
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Very nice! I couldn't open the PDF though, says the file is damaged. Might be a problem with my comp though.

I'm considering pairing the midpipe with the Remus exhaust. Any difference in power/feel?
I just checked the link and it downloaded fine with no issue on a separate computer.

If there is a power difference it isn't substantial enough to notice.
pz6193274.00
      02-12-2019, 07:35 PM   #5
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
I have a hard time believing that the sound is minimal. You are getting rid of two secardary cats and a reasonstor. This should increase the sound.

I am thinking of doing the same thing. Are there any leaks in the clamps AA provided to couple the cut muffler and mid pipe together?
I'm being very serious when I mean the sound increase is very minimal. It still sounds way too quiet; when I was tracking the car at Big Willow I could barely hear the motor with my helmet on in sport mode. I've had ASD disabled since my pickup at the dealer (before I even started the car). I actually don't know what the ASD sounds like and never want to. There are leaks at the AA provided clamps where I made the cut as I could see the water dripping from them on startup. The ball clamps are sealed. I removed the whole system and put everything back on a second time to see if there was something off when I found the leaks and it seems to be inherent to the clamp design. Regardless the fit is good and it's installed as designed. It doesn't quite meet my expectations but many things seldom do.

I definitely want to hear a full signature exhaust with open downpipes...I think that might be the ticket for what I'm after. Next step for me will be to see how the sound is with my VRSF downpipes and I'll go from there.
      02-12-2019, 07:47 PM   #6
epic
M Comp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
I was considering this in hopes to open up the sound. Knowing this, I'll put the money towards an actual exhaust. Thanks for sharing.
      02-12-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
chmura
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
I was considering this in hopes to open up the sound. Knowing this, I'll put the money towards an actual exhaust. Thanks for sharing.
Hopefully others will chime in and since I read another person on here who is very happy with this setup.

OP said he could not hear exhaust with helmet. That’s very expected since a helmet would silence even a loud exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hopefully others will chime in and since I read another person on here who is very happy with this setup.

OP said he could not hear exhaust with helmet. That’s very expected since a helmet would silence even a loud exhaust.
A helmet doesn't silence a loud exhaust, not in the slightest. I think many people who have loud cars would agree. Keep in mind I plan to keep this car the quietest in my fleet but it's definitely too quiet at the moment. My X5 and M3 are way louder than my M2 by a mile. When I put the VRSF downpipes I expect the volume to go up quite a bit. I'm hoping that will be what I'm after.
JeremyDFW458.00
      02-13-2019, 09:41 AM   #9
chmura
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
A helmet doesn't silence a loud exhaust, not in the slightest. I think many people who have loud cars would agree. Keep in mind I plan to keep this car the quietest in my fleet but it's definitely too quiet at the moment. My X5 and M3 are way louder than my M2 by a mile. When I put the VRSF downpipes I expect the volume to go up quite a bit. I'm hoping that will be what I'm after.
Maybe get this exhaust?

https://ind-distribution.com/product?sku=B5462.20904

Still waiting for some sound clips from this exhaust.
Appreciate 1
mcvaughan702.00
      02-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #10
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Maybe get this exhaust?

The muffler doesn't change much of the exhaust note imo unless you're in efficient mode. The valves open in Sport and Sport+ mode is going to be similar. Once I decide to tune it then I'll put in the downpipes...disable all burbles and then decide if something else is needed. I'm hoping downpipes and disabling burbles will be the ticket for now. The wife even agrees that the car is too quiet and she also hates the burbles lol...
      02-13-2019, 11:49 AM   #11
JeremyDFW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe get this exhaust?

I have exchanged messages with IND, and I believe they are installing on their shop car this week and sound clips should be coming shortly after.

I've held out on ordering the AA until getting feedback on the Eis. Race version.

Instagram - @its.bad.karma (inactive/parked)
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2019, 01:51 PM   #12
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Thanks for the review, kind of disappointed it's not that dramatic of a difference. I may pass and go for a full exhaust instead.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

The sound different from only the midpipe is about 20% with a deeper tone throughout the RPM range.

The greatest benefit of this midpipe is not just a louder tone but a rasp free clean sound

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #14
evolved///M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, had 2012 E92 M3

Just another viewpoint here, but I did the midpipe, painted the stock rear, and added a VSC-2 to keep the exhaust valves open as I choose. I find the sound level to be quite increased and acceptable. Still much cheaper than a full exhaust, too.

The stock rear, when the valves are open, is pretty much a straight-through design. Keeping the ability to close the valves maintains the ability to keep the neighbors asleep and at other times your passengers happy.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 11:33 AM   #15
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved///M View Post
Just another viewpoint here, but I did the midpipe, painted the stock rear, and added a VSC-2 to keep the exhaust valves open as I choose. I find the sound level to be quite increased and acceptable. Still much cheaper than a full exhaust, too.

The stock rear, when the valves are open, is pretty much a straight-through design. Keeping the ability to close the valves maintains the ability to keep the neighbors asleep and at other times your passengers happy.
How much increase in sound volume would you say with the valves open? 20% 50%?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 01:28 PM   #16
evolved///M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
I'd say 50% sounds about right. Maybe even a bit more. And I have ASD turned off.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 01:57 PM   #17
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Quote:
I'm being very serious when I mean the sound increase is very minimal. It still sounds way too quiet; when I was tracking the car at Big Willow I could barely hear the motor with my helmet on in sport mode. I've had ASD disabled since my pickup at the dealer (before I even started the car). I actually don't know what the ASD sounds like and never want to. There are leaks at the AA provided clamps where I made the cut as I could see the water dripping from them on startup. The ball clamps are sealed. I removed the whole system and put everything back on a second time to see if there was something off when I found the leaks and it seems to be inherent to the clamp design. Regardless the fit is good and it's installed as designed. It doesn't quite meet my expectations but many things seldom do.

I definitely want to hear a full signature exhaust with open downpipes...I think that might be the ticket for what I'm after. Next step for me will be to see how the sound is with my VRSF downpipes and I'll go from there.

What did you use to turn the ASD off?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 04:03 PM   #18
evolved///M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2 View Post
I can't speak for the OP, but there's two ways you can do it:
  1. Code it off using Bimmercode or ESYS. Or use Bimmerlink to turn it off each and every time you're in the car. See the "Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics" forum for threads on those.
  2. Install an "ASD delete" harness on the amplifier in the trunk. A physical bypass. https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1202389
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2019, 07:45 PM   #19
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2 View Post
I used Bimmercode and I have a Delete Harness as well which I just haven't installed yet. Some say the harness improves audio sound quality.
      02-27-2019, 07:53 PM   #20
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
I would say 15-20% increase in sound with the valves open. As an aside I get hearing tests annually and I have 0 hearing loss on all spectrums which I'm told is very good :P Also I installed it myself in under an hour so my back to back sound comparison was very direct. Basically don't get your hopes too high that this will be a game changer in sound...I think most people who have posted have never modified their car with real exhaust systems before, based on all the threads on the AA Midpipe I definitely went in with higher expectations.

Comparisons:
My X5 Diesel with straight pipes is considerably louder and better sounding. I would say 1.5x loud but the diesel is super smooth sounding and the turbo whistle is intoxicating.

My E46 M3 with 4" turbo back and a couple vibrant resonators is very loud but sounds so much better; probably twice as loud.

The M2 Comp is still too quiet for me and my wife and she didn't notice a difference when I put it in. I quote "When are you going to put the new exhaust on" and I said it is on.

So I have VRSF downpipes in a box waiting until I decide to tune it; currently waiting to see what EcuTek comes out with.

I have listened to nearly every exhaust over and over again and done extensive searching on youtube, facebook, instagram for all different exhausts and I believe the best sounding seems to be the Active Signature setup for what I'm specifically looking for which is a deeper, smooth and louder tone. It's not perfect but the main sound is due to the twin turbo/wastegate design...a big single has proven to make the exhaust note a beautiful symphony but that requires some extensive changes for another day.
      02-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #21
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i, '16 X3

Garage List
Just a thought, but perhaps your perception of "loud" is different based on your more than average experience on the race track with that breed of beast? I find this a lot with high end audio equipment and my other passion, wine. The perception you might have is based on the sum total of your experiences and expectations. A nubile's first listen to a Bose sound system will be far different from someone accustomed to electrostatic Magneplanars powered by Mark Levinson monoblocs. That $50 bottle of Robert Mondavi Napa might be lovely to most, but I guarantee that a Pritchard Hill Cabernet from Chappellet fits my palette and is far different, yet most people can't tell the difference.

It would be really interesting to do a spectral and volume measurement from high quality samples pre and post installation of just the mid-pipe.
      02-28-2019, 09:39 AM   #22
evolved///M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I think most people who have posted have never modified their car with real exhaust systems before, based on all the threads on the AA Midpipe I definitely went in with higher expectations.
I'm recently coming from an E92 M3 with a challenge race midpipe (catless, high flow secondaries) and a gintani sport rear. Before that I had a Evo X with a straight pipe a flow-through resonated muffler. I do know loud.
Appreciate 0