BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > THE ULTIMATE Intercooler Thread - What to Look For Before Buying an FMIC

12-13-2018, 12:30 AM   #155
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
So did you design that intercooler or did ATM? Because what you're selling is a relabeled ATM which is made in China.
To be fair, the CSF isn't a re-labelled ATM as I've had both in hand examined both closely. ATM uses a single core where CSF's looks to be two cores (upper and lower). Also the ATM lower core has a higher fin density behind the front row of fins. That said, I absolutely believe it's a derivative of ATM's since all the dimensions and end tanks are practically identical (typically within 1mm).

If you want to have a retail channel IC sent to me, I have another track weekend coming up in Jan. and can compare on back to back days like I did in my ATM and Wagner Evo 2 Comp Comparison. Same track as that comparison too. A good metric to look at in addition to the charge air cooler temps is the average top speed on the straights there, as that directly relates to lap times.
Appreciate 1
Taskmaster2463.00
      12-13-2018, 02:14 AM   #156
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSF Cooling View Post
This "competition" has degraded to the point that there is a lot of mis information.. So we'll just let it be what it is..
Somehow Tiago thinks we're sourcing an intercooler from some other factory than our own. If you can check import logs, please check the over 450 containers, and over 500,000 parts that came from CSF factories... It's a family business, privately owned factories or joint ventures (due to local laws) and we've sold over 35 million coolers worldwide.. We're operating on a different level than you, it's just simply the facts.

In regards to the CSF intercooler versus others on the market.
There is still only 1 intercooler for the N55 platform worldwide that has TUV approval in Germany. That is CSF's. I believe even Wagner, a German company does not have this certification. This certification is the highest for aftermarket parts in the world. Means that it meets or exceeds performance, durability, and reliability standards to the OEM part.

- We've had to invest significant money into getting this certification, and the engineering / R&D of a motorsport part is not cheap. Hence, you get what you pay for.. You may be paying a little bit more for a CSF intercooler, but you're also getting a part made by a Tier-1 OEM supplier To some people this is worth the higher price.

CSF's n55 intercoolers come with a protective powder-coating that can also withstand salt corrosion.
All CSF products are tested in house on the following machines: wind-tunnel, vibration, salt spray, thermal cycle and burst pressure..

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the product, and also refer to videos, logs, and race results from teams and drivers that are independently published online.
That's good to hear, but I'm not concerned about the salt since I don't drive it in the winter. The concern comes in the summer where there is left over gravel even after the salt has been long washed away by rain fall, and it's these little pebbles that damage the intercooler fins and results in frequent replacement.

The important question is if the gain is significant enough that it justifies the higher cost. Because at the end of the day if it's only a few degrees of difference that's not worth it in my books. That couple hundred dollars over time with intercooler replacements could be invested in a water injection kit that'll make a larger impact on iats. However if the temperature difference is >10°C that's really significant in my books and will justify the price delta.

That TUV standard is an Excellent achievement so I applaud you on that, but a lifetime warranty should help negate that if build quality was a concern.

- I love CSF don't get me wrong, I love your radiators and your oil coolers, but I'm not rich so I'd like to be able to utilize every dollar I have to the best of it's buying ability, instead of wasting it. As you know tracking a car properly with track insurance and everything is really expensive.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 03:08 AM   #157
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
There was a guy who did it on the E series 135i, there's a thread around somewhere his name is jrturboawd. He did have to Fab up some stuff through, but the s55 air/water intercooler did fit directly onto the n55.
Useful - I'll look it up.

As the 'debate' rages in the rest of the thread, I remember something similar with the IC on the R53 Mini. Various aftermarket suppliers were claiming improvements based on increased size and design details of their products, then BMW brought out the GP. The IC on that used the same design as the original, but with the addition of a few extra rows (and longer end pieces to suit). While this minimised production costs, testing showed it to flow better, and result in a bigger drop in temperature than not just the original item, but also the aftermarket offerings.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 03:37 AM   #158
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Useful - I'll look it up.

As the 'debate' rages in the rest of the thread, I remember something similar with the IC on the R53 Mini. Various aftermarket suppliers were claiming improvements based on increased size and design details of their products, then BMW brought out the GP. The IC on that used the same design as the original, but with the addition of a few extra rows (and longer end pieces to suit). While this minimised production costs, testing showed it to flow better, and result in a bigger drop in temperature than not just the original item, but also the aftermarket offerings.
Here's the link: https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50300 if you scroll down you can see the video he posted.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 05:37 AM   #159
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Also in all due respect, since CSF has sold 32 million intercoolers world wide shouldn't that mean you guys have hit product economy of scale? So shouldn't you guys be able to offer these intercoolers for a cheaper price minus the BMW tax? Like I would love to have a CSF intercooler but replacement costs frighten me.

But for everything else such as oil coolers and radiators (safe from rock damage mostly) where there is a clear edge in performance I am more than happy to go with CSF.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 06:16 AM   #160
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

Quote:
Also in all due respect, since CSF has sold 32 million intercoolers world wide shouldn't that mean you guys have hit product economy of scale? So shouldn't you guys be able to offer these intercoolers for a cheaper price minus the BMW tax? Like I would love to have a CSF intercooler but replacement costs frighten me.

But for everything else such as oil coolers and radiators (safe from rock damage mostly) where there is a clear edge in performance I am more than happy to go with CSF.
i Don't think the pricing is that bad especially @ $569.00 .You pay for what you get, its a 6" cooler.
go look at the pricing of AFE,Wagner,Dinan and ER they all way more expensive, CSF is a premium brand they could have easily charged 900 dollars for the product (like Mishimoto has after the presale special is over, that even with the discount is more expensive)

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 06:38 AM   #161
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristosD View Post
i Don't think the pricing is that bad especially @ $569.00 .You pay for what you get, its a 6" cooler.
go look at the pricing of AFE,Wagner,Dinan and ER they all way more expensive, CSF is a premium brand they could have easily charged 900 dollars for the product (like Mishimoto has after the presale special is over, that even with the discount is more expensive)
Yeah I get that and I 100% respect CSF, but what I'm more interested in is the performance/$.

I've heard (don't quote me on this) that the other intercoolers you listed above were inferior at keeping iats stable compared to the vrsf and CSF but lack of head to head conparision of intercoolers on the same car and day limit us on data. Also remember dinan offers a factory replacement warranty as well, but their dual split core design from what I've heard blocks alot of air flow to the radiator.

I normally always advocate for spending the money to get the better quality part and never cheaping out. But in this case I'm not willing to go all out on a part i treat as a consumable due to frequent damage and replacement. So on this situation I would go with the best performance/$ to best match track performance to my budget for replacement. If I lived in a sunny climate where they don't put gravel know the road then you can sure bet I would go all out and buy the best one possible, but it's not a financially smart move for me imo. Especially if a cheaper IC performs as good or a few degrees worse. Guess we will have to see from the data.

Sooner or later my m2 will be my dedicated track car and then I'll go all out, but untill then I still enjoy driving it on the street (not My DD).
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #162
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSF Cooling View Post
In regards to the CSF intercooler versus others on the market.
There is still only 1 intercooler for the N55 platform worldwide that has TUV approval in Germany. That is CSF's. I believe even Wagner, a German company does not have this certification. This certification is the highest for aftermarket parts in the world. Means that it meets or exceeds performance, durability, and reliability standards to the OEM part.
Congrats on the TUV approval!!

All Wagner intercoolers are TUV approved.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #163
Blurbo311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6-Speed

Seeking advice...

I have a 2018 N55 M2, 6mt, I just added a Fabspeed Sport Cat and will install a Dinan sport tune (the cheaper one that is essentially a boost controller) next week. I want to know whether an upgraded IC is a must, a good idea, or not needed.

I live in the Phoenix area where its 60 degrees or higher nearly everyday of the year with a good 4 months of that being 100+ daily. Stock, the car felt a little slower and ran out of breath at higher RPMs when temps were 100+. When the weather cooled down (to the 50's at night, 70's during day) the car started to feel faster, which makes me believe the heat played a material role in the car feeling slower. The car runs excellent with just the DP, I'm assuming it'll run ever harder with the dinan sport tuner, but at what point will I need an IC? Now, or will I only truly need it when the temps heat up?

I don't plan to go to a bigger turbo, and I'm not planning any other mods on top of the DP, tune, and IC. I read through this thread and several others but would still like to hear from those with more experience than me... What IC would be a good choice?

This VRSF HD for $341 appears to be the best deal out there right now:
https://x-ph.com/vr-speed-vrsf-f-cha...gh-density-hd/

Is this my best choice for the $$$? The next step up is the VRSF Race for $629, but is that overkill for my setup? I'm open to any brand and any seller.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #164
Blurbo311
Private First Class
Rep

^Also, I would like something simple to install, the VRSF HD above is plug & play (I think) while the Race and other larger ICs require some cutting and maybe more.

Anyone install something like the VRSF HD themselves at home? Pretty simple?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 01:32 PM   #165
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurbo311 View Post
Seeking advice...

I have a 2018 N55 M2, 6mt, I just added a Fabspeed Sport Cat and will install a Dinan sport tune (the cheaper one that is essentially a boost controller) next week. I want to know whether an upgraded IC is a must, a good idea, or not needed.

I live in the Phoenix area where its 60 degrees or higher nearly everyday of the year with a good 4 months of that being 100+ daily. Stock, the car felt a little slower and ran out of breath at higher RPMs when temps were 100+. When the weather cooled down (to the 50's at night, 70's during day) the car started to feel faster, which makes me believe the heat played a material role in the car feeling slower. The car runs excellent with just the DP, I'm assuming it'll run ever harder with the dinan sport tuner, but at what point will I need an IC? Now, or will I only truly need it when the temps heat up?

I don't plan to go to a bigger turbo, and I'm not planning any other mods on top of the DP, tune, and IC. I read through this thread and several others but would still like to hear from those with more experience than me... What IC would be a good choice?

This VRSF HD for $341 appears to be the best deal out there right now:
https://x-ph.com/vr-speed-vrsf-f-cha...gh-density-hd/

Is this my best choice for the $$$? The next step up is the VRSF Race for $629, but is that overkill for my setup? I'm open to any brand and any seller.

Thanks!
Hi,
An intercooler is a must for you.

If you are keeping the Dinan sport tune, the VRSF intercooler would be a good choice.

You can make a lot more power by getting a stage 2 tune like JB4, Bootmod3 or Active Autowerke flash. In this case you i recommend a stage 2 intercooler like VRSF Race, CSF or Wagner EVO II

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 01:32 PM   #166
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
^Also, I would like something simple to install, the VRSF HD above is plug & play (I think) while the Race and other larger ICs require some cutting and maybe more.

Anyone install something like the VRSF HD themselves at home? Pretty simple?
All F chassis intercoolers are considered plug and play.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #167
Blurbo311
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Hi,
An intercooler is a must for you.

If you are keeping the Dinan sport tune, the VRSF intercooler would be a good choice.

You can make a lot more power by getting a stage 2 tune like JB4, Bootmod3 or Active Autowerke flash. In this case you i recommend a stage 2 intercooler like VRSF Race, CSF or Wagner EVO II
Thanks Mike!

Do you think a chargepipe is needed too?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #168
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Mike!

Yes Charge Pipe is always needed when tuning your car.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 06:18 PM   #169
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
Thanks Mike!

Yes Charge Pipe is always needed when tuning your car.
Hey Mike, I have a Fabspeed sport cat DP on my N55 M2, I plan on throwing on a Dinan big turbo soon, and a tune (don't know which yet), but my question is, which intercooler would be best for that setup? Thanks in advance...
      12-15-2018, 07:04 PM   #170
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Has anyone gotten code 102001 "Air mass too high" after installing a FMIC? I got this about an hour after installing my CSF FMIC and VRSF CP.

All fittings on the CP look like they are sealed and I don't seem to have a boost leak.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 07:36 PM   #171
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
Has anyone gotten code 102001 "Air mass too high" after installing a FMIC? I got this about an hour after installing my CSF FMIC and VRSF CP.

All fittings on the CP look like they are sealed and I don't seem to have a boost leak.
Did you install all of the o rings in the charge pipe?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:51 PM   #172
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Did you install all of the o rings in the charge pipe?
Yes indeed. And on the sensor. And the meth bung is nice and tight too. Strange.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 11:30 PM   #173
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
Yes indeed. And on the sensor. And the meth bung is nice and tight too. Strange.
Did you use thread sealant on the meth bung? It kind of sounds like an overboost code to me, maybe boost was leaking so it tried to compensate idk.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #174
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
Hey Mike, I have a Fabspeed sport cat DP on my N55 M2, I plan on throwing on a Dinan big turbo soon, and a tune (don't know which yet), but my question is, which intercooler would be best for that setup? Thanks in advance...
I recommend a 6" intercooler, Wagner EVO II, VRSF Race & CSF are all good options.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 04:43 PM   #175
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

guess this wager died hard. Kinda sad to see no results.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 04:52 PM   #176
Cristian135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2

Do88 is very good intercooler
Appreciate 0