BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Latest ISTEP flashed.. much improved

07-29-2020, 05:08 PM   #507
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
Much appreciated - keep us posted with how it goes!
I drove the car in traction mode today and the burbles and pops sound exactly the same as they did before the update.The only difference is that they are toned down inside the car because of ASD being much quieter after the update.The sound inside the car is perfect now with ASD being turned down.I definitely don’t need to turn it completely off.

Is this the correct info for which software version the M2 has after the update?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 05:46 PM   #508
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Quote:
Much appreciated - keep us posted with how it goes!
I drove the car in traction mode today and the burbles and pops sound exactly the same as they did before the update.The only difference is that they are toned down inside the car because of ASD being much quieter after the update.The sound inside the car is perfect now with ASD being turned down.I definitely don't need to turn it completely off.

Is this the correct info for which software version the M2 has after the update?
Great to hear. That's interesting, so the burbles were piped in as well?

From my limited understanding - the NBT evo number will indicate the software version but I've used this to locate mine:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1638904

Not exactly sure on how the NBT evo links to the Istep software version though. Could be the same thing displayed differently.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #509
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

ISTEP version can be found using this method:

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 12:15 AM   #510
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

My current istep version is F020-17-03-505. Does anyone know what is the latest istep version I would be updating to for an OG M2?

I want to check what's the latest versions I should be getting updated to if I go to the dealership for the update. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 05:16 AM   #511
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
My current istep version is F020-17-03-505. Does anyone know what is the latest istep version I would be updating to for an OG M2?

I want to check what's the latest versions I should be getting updated to if I go to the dealership for the update. Thanks.
I'm not sure of the latest for an OG but mine (LCI July 17 build) was updated in December 18 to F020-18-11-531 (I was lazy in getting the dash recall done).

Improvements to steering, I sensed also a slight change to throttle (I could be wrong but I think Comfort moved closer to Sport) but the biggest/best change was to MDM (markedly less intrusive)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 05:33 AM   #512
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Quote:

I'm not sure of the latest for an OG but mine (LCI July 17 build) was updated in December 18 to F020-18-11-531 (I was lazy in getting the dash recall done).

Improvements to steering, I sensed also a slight change to throttle (I could be wrong but I think Comfort moved closer to Sport) but the biggest/best change was to MDM (markedly less intrusive)
Cools thanks. Did you find any change to your asd volume or to your pops and burbles in the exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #513
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Cools thanks. Did you find any change to your asd volume or to your pops and burbles in the exhaust?
Don’t know re asd as I’d had it coded out well before the update, don't recall any change to pops/burbles.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 04:05 PM   #514
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Latest istep is F20-20-07-525
Appreciate 1
widetyres279.00
      07-31-2020, 04:29 AM   #515
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squixs View Post
Great - thanks for that. Anything major to note you've found with this latest update?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 10:13 AM   #516
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
ISTEP version can be found using this method:

Thanks

I will try that this week and confirm the ISTEP version.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 10:36 AM   #517
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
There is such a huge difference in the ASD volume now being turned down that it’s difficult to know for sure if ASD does effect the burbles and pops volume.I also rarely drive the car in traction mode,so i probably just don’t remember how loud they were inside the car.With the windows down,the pops and burbles are still loud.I wouldn’t be concerned with the software update effecting the exhaust sound.It definitely sounds the same to me.The main benefits of the software update are ASD,being noticeably quieter.,improved steering feel and the rear camera beeping fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 04:58 AM   #518
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Quote:
There is such a huge difference in the ASD volume now being turned down that it’s difficult to know for sure if ASD does effect the burbles and pops volume.I also rarely drive the car in traction mode,so i probably just don’t remember how loud they were inside the car.With the windows down,the pops and burbles are still loud.I wouldn’t be concerned with the software update effecting the exhaust sound.It definitely sounds the same to me.The main benefits of the software update are ASD,being noticeably quieter.,improved steering feel and the rear camera beeping fix.
Great - thanks for the inputs on this topic. I'm quite likely going to take the plunge and do the software update. I'm on the fence that those on the forum that thought they lost burbles etc. was just because of the reduced ASD.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 03:05 PM   #519
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Great - thanks for that. Anything major to note you've found with this latest update?
I've a i-step from '19 and when flashing to the latest version it will update the following modules.

Also, don't worry about losing the burbles. I'm updating my car every time to the latest istep and it still burbles and cracks like crazy
Attached Images

Last edited by squixs; 08-03-2020 at 05:52 AM..
Appreciate 3
widetyres279.00
Smiler1.50
Poochie9104.50
      08-02-2020, 05:46 PM   #520
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've a i-step from '19 and when flashing to the latest version it will update the following modules.

Also, don't worry about losing the burbles. I'm updating my car every time to the latest istep and it still burbles and cracks like crazy
Thanks for that - good to know the car still burbles and cracks as per normal after the istep updates.

I see the ASD module is being updated as per your picture for the latest istep - interesting that ASD still is still being refined / adjusted more than 4 years after the release of the car. Wonder why that is.

Thanks for the screenshot too. When I spoke to the dealer, they advised they had no idea of the modules being updated for the latest istep. Really not a surprise there but it's great to see the community know what's going on more than the service advisors at the dealerships!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 02:53 PM   #521
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

For what it's worth. This is the new version shown in iDrive. Only driven it 5 minutes, so hasn't even warmed up, but steering feels better than the '19 version I had
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-06-2020, 11:26 PM   #522
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Thanks for that - good to know the car still burbles and cracks as per normal after the istep updates.

I see the ASD module is being updated as per your picture for the latest istep - interesting that ASD still is still being refined / adjusted more than 4 years after the release of the car. Wonder why that is.

Thanks for the screenshot too. When I spoke to the dealer, they advised they had no idea of the modules being updated for the latest istep. Really not a surprise there but it's great to see the community know what's going on more than the service advisors at the dealerships!
Forget the ASD, the biggest improvement in the newer software is steering feel and MDM. Things might be different in Australia but North American market got really aggressive traction and stability control that stopped all the fun even in MDM mode. After the update it's a different car. So much more fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 06:55 AM   #523
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Just tried that How To - TextEdit on a Mac. Suggests it was updated at some point as the date is about 2 months after I picked it up. RIS was at 6 weeks, it was in a BMW bodyshop at about the right time though, and was serviced at the 2 year point.

Which leads me to wonder if this is actually giving a version number, or just reporting the last time a change was made?

Last edited by M Fifty; 08-08-2020 at 03:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 11:36 PM   #524
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Had my car in for a service. Asked them to update and they had no idea what istep was. I kept asking and they finally emailed BMW but gave me some excuse that they would have to get back to me. They had no idea and it's a big dealership.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 01:20 AM   #525
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecitizen View Post
Had my car in for a service. Asked them to update and they had no idea what istep was. I kept asking and they finally emailed BMW but gave me some excuse that they would have to get back to me. They had no idea and it's a big dealership.
That is terrible. They didn't even know it as a general software update?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #526
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecitizen View Post
That is terrible. They didn't even know it as a general software update?
Yes super weird. They asked me if it was idrive or firmware as they didn't recognize the term istep. I'm not hopeful they'll do it but I tried.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 05:19 AM   #527
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Quote:

Forget the ASD, the biggest improvement in the newer software is steering feel and MDM. Things might be different in Australia but North American market got really aggressive traction and stability control that stopped all the fun even in MDM mode. After the update it's a different car. So much more fun.
I've now removed ASD with the harness - but will still look to get the software updated as I'm running a 2017-07 istep version once service centres are back open for essential service here in Melbourne. Hopefully there'll be more than a few things ironed in a 2020 update.

Believe we have the same aggressive traction and stability control - to me, MDM mode feels pretty much the same to sport+ so far in my driving, not that I've really pushed the car that hard.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 09:10 AM   #528
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I am getting my taillights replaced on my ‘17 first week of October and they are reflashing for me then as well. I’ve always been afraid to code ASD off in BimmerCode as my understanding was you can’t flip it back on again... thinking this might be my chance to try it. Will the reflash turn it back on again I assume, in the event I prefer it on?

I had the ASD harness on my M235i but that car had a downpipe so it was ABSOLUTELY necessary. Have had another one I bought for the M2 before I even picked it up but haven’t installed it as the ASD is not really that intrusive on a stock DP.
Appreciate 0