BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Advice: Who best to plug puncture or replace tyre? (UK)

06-14-2019, 05:34 PM   #1
Archiater
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e46 325ci m-sport coupe

Unhappy Advice: Who best to plug puncture or replace tyre? (UK)

Backed my M2 out of the garage tonight only to be greeted with a tyre pressure warning on iDrive. Wandered around the back to discover my nearside rear has a screw right in the middle and is flat as a pancake!

I always dread having my tyres changed because, in my experience, most local tyre shops aren't particularly careful and use crappy wheel weights that rust in no time at all. (at least this has regularly been the case with my now aging E46)

This is the first time for the M2 and I'm desperate to keep my rims in good condition.

Can anyone recommend a good course of action?

I'm happy for the stealers to do the necessary work (can't believe I just wrote that!) if it guarantees a good job and top quality wheel weights.

If it's pluggable then I guess I have less to worry about..?

Help!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 05:58 PM   #2
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Look for a performance shop that does wheels in your area and not just a tire shop. They should have nicer equipment and nice small black weights. You can also ask them to take care of your wheels during the mounting!

Don't have them clean old residue off though from the last weights. Take your time cleaning that yourself

Edit: I did get my left rear tire patched using the plug method when I had a screw go through it. If you want to patch it now and wait to buy a full set on the future.
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #3
Archiater
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks; sounds like a plan. I presume the perf shop aren't likely to be plugging but I'll ask around just in case.

Do you happen to know if the dealers even handle this work or
whether they just farm it out..?

I'd definitely prefer it to be plugged at this stage; the car has only done 4K so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 07:02 PM   #4
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiater View Post
Thanks; sounds like a plan. I presume the perf shop aren't likely to be plugging but I'll ask around just in case.

I'd definitely prefer it to be plugged at this stage; the car has only done 4K so far.
I personally would plug it.

I keep a emergency plug kit in the trunk at all times.
      06-15-2019, 03:32 AM   #5
Euromeister
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:

I personally would plug it.

I keep a emergency plug kit in the trunk at all times.
I had a nail in the rear at 950m !
It was right on the edge so managed to get a good deal with Kwik fit on line my local dealer fitted it they had a great removal machine all auto no marks !
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 08:17 AM   #6
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
You have a high performance car with high performance tires. Do not under any circumstances risk your life or your car with a plug. In my view, that's a temporary solution. Do the right thing and replace the tire.
      06-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #7
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
I'm happy for the stealers to do the necessary work (can't believe I just wrote that!) if it guarantees a good job and top quality wheel weights.
You can tell a true dealer by the proper wheel weights: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=36_2038 .

At mine's I happened to notice a very unconvincingly looking tire machine (like old, rusty...) and I would also doubt their qualification as they apparently don't do it often. But never their prices!

When I had a puncture I took my car to a reputable tire shop that had appropriate tires in stock (in case there had been a need) as well. They fixed mine for about 10% of replacement (both on the axle ) cost would've been. Several years/seasons since, it's fine. I do seasonal wheel change myself and I haven't noticed any balance weight issue (they used whatever they had). My car isn't a high performance one though, nor is the tire (a factory, starred one, run-flat).
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 10:11 AM   #8
lower
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
You have a high performance car with high performance tires. Do not under any circumstances risk your life or your car with a plug. In my view, that's a temporary solution. Do the right thing and replace the tire.
In my view, a repaired tyre is absolutely fine. I've had repairs plugged in a number of tyres in a variety of high performance cars and never had an issue, including a couple of trackdays on tyres with plugs in.

Repairers will only use a mushroom plug in the middle section of the tread which doesn't distort like the sidewall does. The plug fills the hole that caused the puncture but the top of the mushroom seals the tyre. Where's the risk?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 10:11 AM   #9
lower
Rep

Quote:
Backed my M2 out of the garage tonight only to be greeted with a tyre pressure warning on iDrive. Wandered around the back to discover my nearside rear has a screw right in the middle and is flat as a pancake!

I always dread having my tyres changed because, in my experience, most local tyre shops aren't particularly careful and use crappy wheel weights that rust in no time at all. (at least this has regularly been the case with my now aging E46)

This is the first time for the M2 and I'm desperate to keep my rims in good condition.

Can anyone recommend a good course of action?

If it's pluggable then I guess I have less to worry about..?

Help!
Whereabouts in the country are you?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #10
Archiater
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm in Milton Keynes area.

Local dealers are happy to do it but their tyre guy is only there on weekdays. I still presume it's contracted out to a mobile fitter but I will definitely drop in for a face to face before I decide to take that route.

Also considering Hometyre. They appear to get good reviews and I'm hoping I'll get better service that way.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 06:29 PM   #11
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Respectfully disagree here.

A plugged tire will function same as any tire. The plug becomes part of the tire. I've had my high performance car with high performance tires run a plug for thousands of miles without issues.

I've ran plugged tires on my Ducati and Aprilia high performance motorcycles, and you only have 2 tires there to keep you safe.

Never had any issues, failures, or crashes due to a plugged tire in tens of thousands of miles combined, car or bike.
Appreciate 2
devo755.00
///M TOWN16304.50
      06-18-2019, 06:37 PM   #12
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
It's probably best if you replace the tire, if you can swing it but most plug kits includes a rubber cement substance that helps it becomes hard and one with the original tire rubber. Thus, it's pretty safe alternative.

I usually go the "patch" route myself for many years, vehicle and brand of tires, including run-flats and they ran fine, for the life of the tire.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 08:13 AM   #13
lower
Rep

Quote:
I'm in Milton Keynes area.

Local dealers are happy to do it but their tyre guy is only there on weekdays. I still presume it's contracted out to a mobile fitter but I will definitely drop in for a face to face before I decide to take that route.

Also considering Hometyre. They appear to get good reviews and I'm hoping I'll get better service that way.
https://www.tyresnorthampton.com/bra...paign=Menu+Url

These people are good and have good reviews.

Evo magazine apparently use them regularly.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 08:38 PM   #14
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Unless the repair is a plug-patch repaired from the inside of the tire it is not considered a safe, long term permanent repair.
http://www.motorweek.org/features/go...or_not_to_plug
      06-29-2019, 12:22 AM   #15
Archiater
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the advice everyone.

So my local dealership performed a repair. (for free!) 🤔

TL;DR - did they really just do a temporary plug repair!?!?

I had a discussion with their tyre guy who told me that he didn't use BMW balancing weights but his 'don't rust'. I said I was happy to have the work done and then order the required weights. (available next day) He then suggested that he could mark the tyre and then mount it in the exact same position so that I wouldn't need it balanced again. (highly unlikely I thought but a local fitter confirmed that, in his opinion, this was indeed possible)

I agreed to proceed, but before a bay had become free I received a call and had to leave. I returned again late afternoon with just enough time for them to perform the repair before they knocked off for the day. I'd asked if I could 'spectate' but was told that wasn't permitted.

So, long story short, I receive the 'no charge sir' comment, collect the car and everything looks good; almost as if the tyre had never left the rim... which then got me thinking is that actually what happened! (or rather, didn't happen)

Have the dealer really just plugged my tyre from the outside!? I'm planning on taking a closer look in the morning. It's great that the repair was free but also concerning that it might not be a proper repair. (Confirming to BSAU159)

Free.. no job card... no traceability... no liability??

I'd also booked a home repair with an indy and was planning on cancelling it, but I'm now tempted to proceed to see what the dealer have actually done. (or not done)

I'm sure it'll probably be fine and I should count myself lucky and just move on but it's slightly concerning nonetheless.
Appreciate 0