BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Full Steering Lock (More to Left vs. Right) - Is This Normal?

04-13-2023, 08:12 PM   #1
shb5007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21 M3C

Full Steering Lock (More to Left vs. Right) - Is This Normal?

I am still sorting out some alignment / suspension issues with my M2C. Something still doesn't feel quite right. I have been back to the dealership twice now for alignments / re-checks, and the current alignment sheet looks good. The car tracks very slightly off center (I think), but I know this can happen in these cars (based on forum searches) and I am not sure how much of this is "in my head". I was messing around in the parking lot today and I noticed that (with the car stopped), my steering lock to the left is further than to the right. Is this normal in these cars? Has / can anyone check for me? If this isn't normal, what could this mean... with the car showing a "good" alignment?

See picture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 07:06 PM   #2
D.Yooras
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 MY18

It's possible that small of a deviation is normal however it's also possible:

the steering rack is off by a spline (but the difference would be greater than that I would imagine
Alternatively, the end stops may not be calibrated properly in which case you would need to have the rack initialized (started up)

I would do some research first, are you the original owner, if not, has the rack ever been replaced (collision or otherwise)? If there is no reason to believe the rack has been replaced, or the subframe dropped, the next set I would do is put the car on the alignment rack and check the exposed threads on the tie-rods. They should both be within millimeters of each other when the wheel is straight (+- 4mm should serve as a good starting point).

If all that is passes, the next step would be learn the end-stops on the rack. Once the end stops are learned you can use the live data, turn the wheel to full lock and read the steering angle degrees on both ends, they should be the same within in about 4 degrees of rotation.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52722.50
      04-23-2023, 07:16 AM   #3
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

My first thought was as above - that your shop had aligned you without truly centering the steering (IIRC, it isn't possible to misalign the splines, but if you dial in the toe adjustments to be even when the wheel isn't straight you can get this).

But I had the opportunity to check this, and darned if mine doesn't also have a simlar type of discrepancy. No pics, but it was apparent via difference in how the wheel trim aligns w/ edge of cluster. All I can think is that the front wheel wells are so tight that those clever engineers left a little more room on one side for something (I've heard of using heat guns on the inner liners to get room for fatter tires, so I assume they used ALL the available room). Now we need somebody fron England w/ a RHD model to see if it is reversed for them (like perhaps for some DOT parking requirement?).

Last edited by Maynard; 04-23-2023 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 0