M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > MCS vs TCKR

12-24-2022, 11:08 AM   #1
Tiss'er
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LBB LCI

MCS vs TCKR

Hello all,

I have a 2018 M2 that I have really fallen in love with at the track. I am currently fully stock except the Hawk DCT70 pads I run on track days. I am currently running Michelin PS4Ss which I am shredding quickly.

So the logical thing to do is to upgrade to coilovers and camber plates. This is my first ever real sports car and my first foray into suspension upgrades. The 2 most popular opinions on this site seem to be TC Kline SA/DA and MCS One Way No Reservoir options.

I live in Phoenix where our roads and track surfaces are fantastic. The car is driven maybe 5K miles per year, not so much as a commuter, but as a fun weekend car.

I am currently running in the advance HPDE class, mid pack depending on who shows up. I've done something line 14 HPDEs and feel like I have pushed the car as far as I dare with the current setup.

Real question, is the MCS setup worth 2X the cost of the TCKR setup? Or will the TCKR give me 90-95% of the performance of the MCS? Thanks for any and all opinions.

A rare rainy track day in Phoenix.

Last edited by Tiss'er; 12-24-2022 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 4
      12-24-2022, 12:32 PM   #2
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

If it's just the tire shredding issue you are looking to remedy simply add front camber plates at about -2.5 deg neg camber and switch to the Cup2 tires - or a dedicated set of track wheels and tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 01:52 PM   #3
Tiss'er
Private
Rep

Thanks. I figure if I’m going the camber plate route I might as well get coilovers. Then I can drop the car 20-25mms and set the car up for track purposes. Track wheels and tires are up next.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 01:54 PM   #4
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

I started with camber plates only on stock suspension. Fixed the tire shoulder wear and also was getting fast times with better tires. If you haven’t been really competitive or started with messing with aero or wide wheel fitment, stock is a good way to learn
      12-24-2022, 02:03 PM   #5
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

If I have the budget I would go with mcs 1wnr no question. Also when you spending money on coilovers there hardly any worth it information. The most worth it route is to stay oem tbh. coilover feel can be very subjective and differs from setup. The only thing you can really refer is if someone did a shock dyno, but it’s really rare. I know FaRKle! do this only to ohlins and potentially MCS shock
      12-24-2022, 04:00 PM   #6
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Coilovers really aren’t worth it on this car tbh. Unless you are getting into time trials and actual racing. Get camber plates and dedicated track wheels/tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 07:43 PM   #7
Tiss'er
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Coilovers really aren’t worth it on this car tbh. Unless you are getting into time trials and actual racing. Get camber plates and dedicated track wheels/tires.

Thanks, why would you say coilovers aren't worth it on a M2?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 07:47 PM   #8
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiss'er View Post
Thanks, why would you say coilovers aren't worth it on a M2?
This is just my opinion but improvement/feel on track isn’t worth the money from a value stand point compared to gains from actual track tires or camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 07:52 PM   #9
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

No technical knowledge to add…. but damn ! OG front end really is a thing a beauty !
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 07:59 PM   #10
Tiss'er
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
This is just my opinion but improvement/feel on track isn’t worth the money from a value stand point compared to gains from actual track tires or camber plates.
Got it, thanks. Apex is having a pretty decent sale at the moment and I can pickup TC Kline camber plates if I choose to stick with the stock dampers.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 03:21 PM   #11
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

I’ll add my .02 and experience.

I got my TCKR setup for $1300 with true mileage unknown. Allegedly they came off the prior owners car after he got TC’s dev M2C with roughly 10-15k miles of service.

My initial reaction was that they transformed the car and honestly I still feel that way. Most notably the comfort improvement for DD duty was completely night and day. The additional camber drastically improved turn in, and the car is far more composed when being pushed. The difference between the street and track settings are meaningful, and it’s easy to adjust as needed. I shaved 8 seconds off my PB after moving to 200tw tires and the TCK setup. This was obviously way more than just the TCK setup at work, but I firmly believe 200tw tires, camber, and TCK’s were an exponential jump and enabled the confidence I needed to go quick

I completely disagree with PackPride’s above take that upgrading the suspension on a F87 isn’t worth it. I would have done it before stage 2 power if I was doing it all over. It’s a game changer. Both for street and track.

Regarding MCS vs TCKR, at $3000 the TCKR seems expensive when compared to MCS. I’ll be upgrading in a couple years to MCS 1WNR down the line. If this seems like something you’re going be doing for a long time, and you can swing it, don’t half step with the TCK and just save for the MCS. Honestly though you can’t go wrong here. Both choices will deliver exceptional performance and greatly improve upon the stock setup. If you get the TCK, you can always sell them and roll that cash into a primo MCS setup.

Beautiful pics. I hope you enjoy 1000 safe and fun track days with it. They’re wonderful cars that deliver lots of smiles.
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2022, 04:16 PM   #12
Tiss'er
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
I’ll add my .02 and experience.

I got my TCKR setup for $1300 with true mileage unknown. Allegedly they came off the prior owners car after he got TC’s dev M2C with roughly 10-15k miles of service.

My initial reaction was that they transformed the car and honestly I still feel that way. Most notably the comfort improvement for DD duty was completely night and day. The additional camber drastically improved turn in, and the car is far more composed when being pushed. The difference between the street and track settings are meaningful, and it’s easy to adjust as needed. I shaved 8 seconds off my PB after moving to 200tw tires and the TCK setup. This was obviously way more than just the TCK setup at work, but I firmly believe 200tw tires, camber, and TCK’s were an exponential jump and enabled the confidence I needed to go quick

I completely disagree with PackPride’s above take that upgrading the suspension on a F87 isn’t worth it. I would have done it before stage 2 power if I was doing it all over. It’s a game changer. Both for street and track.

Regarding MCS vs TCKR, at $3000 the TCKR seems expensive when compared to MCS. I’ll be upgrading in a couple years to MCS 1WNR down the line. If this seems like something you’re going be doing for a long time, and you can swing it, don’t half step with the TCK and just save for the MCS. Honestly though you can’t go wrong here. Both choices will deliver exceptional performance and greatly improve upon the stock setup. If you get the TCK, you can always sell them and roll that cash into a primo MCS setup.

Beautiful pics. I hope you enjoy 1000 safe and fun track days with it. They’re wonderful cars that deliver lots of smiles.
This is great, thanks. I bought the car new and have no plans to sell it. A cars continue to evolve and grow, the less interested I am in getting rid of it. This include the new M2 as well. I care less about power and more about handling. Coming from and still riding high performance motorcycles, suspension is the absolute first thing you need to upgrade to build confidence tp go fast.

In the M2 I can hang with well driven GT4s and Carrera Ss on track with my current fully stock setup. This does require I push really hard, especially under braking to keep with these guys. I think I can get past these guys with the right setup. Not much makes me feel better than passing 911s and GT4s on track I love both those cars immensly, but they lack a real trunk which I do need on a day to day basis. Passing them makes me feel better about my choices!

Anyway, I appreciate your comments on MCS vs, TCKR. A few different vendors i have spoken with are high on MCS and I need to determine how much of that is just to line their pockets vs actually trying to get me to right setup.

Do you have experience with MCS? The results you posted above are impressive. However, I have been told that as I continue grow as a driver I would outgrow Bilstein B16s and the M Performance setup which has lead me here.

I am a big proponent of buy it right, buy it once.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 05:02 PM   #13
///393
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Do you have experience with MCS? The results you posted above are impressive. However, I have been told that as I continue grow as a driver I would outgrow Bilstein B16s and the M Performance setup which has lead me here.

I am a big proponent of buy it right, buy it once.
Only from the passenger seat in a fully built/caged E36 M3. I can only describe it as on a totally other level. Again obviously it wasn’t just the MCS but, yeah, they work well 😂 . My race shop uses MCS exclusively including their WRL car and swear by them and as one of my instructors quipped, “when 80% of the cars in the paddock are running something, just go get that.”

Bimmerworld does a solid job of supporting MCS and can help any shop local to you with customer support and questions. The sales pitch for TCKR is that they’re ready to go out of the box and you have direct access to TC Kline. While that is true, it’s not the end of the story.

Finally, full-disclosure: my TCKR camber plates had bad bearings and needed to be uninstalled, fixed, and reinstalled and while my shop is the shiz they don’t work free. This eliminated the spring bind issues I was having but after a month, in certain ultra-rare circumstances I notice a HINT of spring bind. Nothing worth bothering with. TC was solid to work with and sent free replacement bearing and acknowledged he received a bad batch.

If I had the scratch and was doing it all over again, I’d be on MCS 1WNR. That said, I’m looking forward to pushing the car as is which will give me a greater appreciation for the upgrade MCS really represents.

P.S. I did monoball bearings in the front thrust arms. These along with rear toe arms from SPL (on my list) appear to provide the best ROI and don’t bring any material impact to street comfort. Yeah they require servicing but you’re a little past that concern once you’re tracking it.

Go ahead and get SPL front endlinks regardless of what you go with as when lowering the car they make buttoning everything back up that much easier. A nice to have while you’re in there kinda thing. I didn’t bother with the rear endlinks fwiw.

Last edited by ///393; 12-25-2022 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2022, 05:09 PM   #14
Tiss'er
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
Only from the passenger seat. My race shop uses MCS exclusively including their WRL car and swear by them and as one of my instructors quipped, “when 80% of the cars in the paddock are running something, just go get that.”

Bimmerworld does a solid job of supporting MCS and can help any shop local to you with customer support and questions. The sales pitch for TCKR is that they’re ready to go out of the box and you have direct access to TC Kline. While that is true, it’s not the end of the story.

Finally, full-disclosure: my TCKR camber plates had bad bearings and needed to be uninstalled, fixed, and reinstalled and while my shop is the shiz they don’t work free. This eliminated the spring bind issues I was having but after a month, in certain ultra-rare circumstances I notice a HINT of spring bind. Nothing worth bothering with. TC was solid to work with and sent free replacement bearing and acknowledged he received a bad batch.

If I had the scratch and was doing it all over again, I’d be on MCS 1WNR. That said, I’m looking forward to pushing the car as is which will give me a greater appreciation for the upgrade MCS really represents.

P.S. I did monoball bearings in the front thrust arms. These along with rear toe arms from SPL (on my list) appear to provide the best ROI and don’t bring any material impact to street comfort. Yeah they require servicing but you’re a little past that concern once you’re tracking it.
Thanks again. I did read your thread on the TCKR camber plate issue. Seems that every camber plate has issues of sorts. Bimmerworld is who I have been working with. They spec'd Vorshlag plates. What plates would you go with?

They spec'd me out a set MCS 1WNRs. It may be a bit too aggressive, but nothing a spring change won't fix. Again, I really appreciate your time to respond.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 05:29 PM   #15
///393
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks again. I did read your thread on the TCKR camber plate issue. Seems that every camber plate has issues of sorts. Bimmerworld is who I have been working with. They spec'd Vorshlag plates. What plates would you go with?

They spec'd me out a set MCS 1WNRs. It may be a bit too aggressive, but nothing a spring change won't fix. Again, I really appreciate your time to respond.
Vorshlag will be my choice with the MCS. Farkle has a great comparison video but IIRC the Vorshlag has multiple bearings that better alleviate spring bind and are better built than GC.

Do share your experience on hear regardless of what you end up doing. Always interested to learn anything I can from others journeys.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 07:41 PM   #16
SCMTX
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C, exesE92 M3, F82, F30

I can provide some honest feedback on the topic. I have a set of TCKDA coil overs….now for sale. They are great for the street, I went through 3 sets of springs trying to dial them in for the track. Dual duty M2C. The TCK are great on the street, the adjustability is good for lightish track work. I was still searching for something else though. OP, if you have the money wait and get something you really feel like you need….even if you have to wait longer.

I ended up going with an OG Shark Inertia/Nitron kit. All I can say after one day, is omg these things are pretty amazing. Currently my sway bars are disconnected, the car is still flat turning, braking, acceleration. There is a way where the car kind of hovers over bumps at speed….a suppleness, but also firm enough to control the car heaving body motions. I’m going to the track on Friday and can report more feedback. I have been on 5 different tracks with the TCK setup. I drove OG Shark’s M4 with the same suspension before I ordered mine. Unless you’re in your own car on the same roads/tracks it’s hard to really appreciate how good the Nitron are.

Live heard nothing but good things about MCS as well. If I had the money, I would get a top brand double or triple adjustable system. Just my $.02.
Appreciate 1
Tiss'er79.50
      12-26-2022, 08:34 PM   #17
Tiss'er
Private
Rep

Much appreciate the response. It’s great getting feedback from users. How many track days did you use the TCKR setup? Did you find the car improved over stock? Looking forward to hearing about your upcoming track days.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 09:30 PM   #18
rbahr
Private
Rep
Drives: To many & not enough

I have owned GC and would never use them again. Currently have Vorshlag and like them.

Contrary to an earlier post, I would say that shocks have a lot of positives to add to a suspension. I am currently running MCS 3w, and need to do work adjusting them.

Ray
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 11:59 PM   #19
SCMTX
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C, exesE92 M3, F82, F30

Quote:
Much appreciate the response. It’s great getting feedback from users. How many track days did you use the TCKR setup? Did you find the car improved over stock? Looking forward to hearing about your upcoming track days.
I probably have 5-6 days on the TCK. They ride great on the street, and good on the track. These cars are just heavy and need higher spring rate up front. Granted, I had the car pretty low, but I could bottom out the springs fairly easily. Def much better than stock ride with the 300/600 and 400/700 spring rates.

either direction will be an improvement over stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 09:23 AM   #20
///393
Captain
Rep

I’d like to reiterate that you can’t go wrong with which path you choose. Starting with TCK and then moving up to Nitron/3DM TTX Ohlins/MCS etc as opposed to jumping straight to them brings it’s own benefits.

Growing your skills with the car’s capabilities and not making the car faster until you’re faster then the car is a perfectly fine path too.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 02:45 PM   #21
Tiss'er
Private
Rep

I appreciate everyone's comments. It has given me plenty to consider. I may go wheels/tires/camber plates first, then add coilovers next year after a season on this setup. I may go wheels/tires/TCKR and that may be all I need. I have a tendency to go all out though

Keep the info coming.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 01:40 PM   #22
track.n.trail
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
I'm running TCKR SA front and DA rear. Daily driving is much improved - the car is no longer bouncy and uncomfortable over rough pavement. My next track day is on Jan 15th but I expect it to be much improved with the dampers set properly and my more aggressive track alignment (-2.75 camber front, -2 rear)

Previous: 6th Gen Camaro SS 1LE | 2020 JLUR Wrangler | F30 340i | B7 Audi A4 APR Tuned | E46 330ci
Instagram @track.n.trail
Appreciate 0