BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Engine start after winter (6month)

03-24-2024, 09:37 AM   #1
King.Kong
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Engine start after winter (6month)

Hello,

I'm new to the site. I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed before.

I have an M2C that I have stored under the winter (6 months) I'm going to start using it again next week.
I wonder if there is anything I need to before starting the engine? As prime the oil? Or is it just to start the car and drive? The car has not been touched since i stored it for winter only connected a battery charger.

Thanks for all the help
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 06:37 PM   #2
imOFP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2c, '23 Bronco Raptor

Garage List
I wash it. Warm it up sitting in the driveway and then drive it to the gas station for a fresh tank.

If I stored it with a full tank then I’ll contemplate adding octane booster but never actually do it. I just don’t rip on it until I put a fresh full tank in after using what was stored.
      04-02-2024, 01:21 AM   #3
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Ideally you would be storing the car with the majority of the fuel tank filled to prevent water condensation building up during storage. In terms of the post about swapping it with fresh fuel, whether you gently burn it up or just straight up purge and swap it, does the fuel degrade during storage? Honestly I'm not sure on that point.

In terms of starting it, that shouldn't be a problem. Like the person above said, let it warm up a bit when you first start it. I let the entire cold start cycle finish before I even put the car in gear. Then keep the idle low 2-3k till the oil is fully warm, nothing special.

If it's been sitting for 6 months straight just check the fluid levels for the 2 coolant tanks too before you start it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on anything here.
Appreciate 0