BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2c dynojet #

10-16-2018, 05:20 AM   #67
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshalygin View Post
Care to share a link to said study and reference to the exact materials/loads seen in an M2c? It's not that I don't believe you, I just want to see this study where they predicted the future in their study.

Since empirical data exists, I'm excited to review it !
As was stated, BMW published the data in the S62 era. It's not like basic clutch disc materials and flywheel/pressure plate steels have changed since then. They all need break-in of their mating surfaces to achieve their rated clamping loads...duh.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 09:23 PM   #68
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Here is a statement from Exedy (one of the world's largest clutch manufacturer) regarding if their clutches require a break in period:

"We recommend breaking in the clutch for 1,000 km with mild engagement such as stop and go city driving prior to racing or spirited driving. EXEDY race discs usually only require a few hard slips to lap in the surfaces prior to normal driving or racing. Do not overheat the clutch during the break in period."

I would say the cautious approach by most car manufacturers on to run-in a new car is mostly for the diff and the gearbox. The engine piston rings actually establish the proper wear pattern for seating (run-in) within the first 20-30 miles of street driving but the back side of the rings require maximum cylinder pressure (peak torque) to establish the proper wear pattern for seating. This means WOT during mid rev (peak torque) is the best way to achieve the best run-in and you will only need to do it for a very short period of time and should be done within the first 20-30 miles.

This is a known best practice recommendation by the famous engine piston and components manufacturer JE.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2018...the-right-way/
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 12:28 AM   #69
friiky2
Registered
Rep
Drives: Cupra290 - M2C ordered

Autobild Sportcars measured it with this 'insoric' device at 403hp and 559nm. So slightly less then specified.

To say: I have no idea what this device is, how it works or how accurate it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 07:50 AM   #70
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Bet you $100 that the Z4 M40i with the same exact differential[/QUOTE]

Hey, question; the new Z4 has the same e-diff as the M cars?

That's weird if it does; the biggest appeal of a true M car is its torque-vectoring LSD, IMO..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #71
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Bet you $100 that the Z4 M40i with the same exact differential

That's weird if it does; the biggest appeal of a true M car is its torque-vectoring LSD, IMO..[/QUOTE]

IDK, the M240i optional LSD is not the same as the one in the M2.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #72
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I just did some research; the 2019 G-series 340i & Z4 will have the same electronically controlled mechanical LSD with a 100% capable locking diff, just like any other true M car.

It's different from the non-electronic mechanical 30% locking option on the current F series 340i/240i.

That's surprising since historically their e-diff was reserved exclusively for M cars.. :

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...ked-photo/amp/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 01:55 AM   #73
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post

That's weird if it does; the biggest appeal of a true M car is its torque-vectoring LSD, IMO..
IDK, the M240i optional LSD is not the same as the one in the M2.
The Z4 is getting the Active M Differential. The optional LSD for 240i is just M performance aftermarket stuff. This is a real factory component.

The appeal of the M car is the driving experience, I don't know that it's defined by anything. Honestly, based on early feedback the new Z4 will probably drive better than every M car other than the M2 maybe anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #74
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
The Z4 is getting the Active M Differential. The optional LSD for 240i is just M performance aftermarket stuff. This is a real factory component.

The appeal of the M car is the driving experience, I don't know that it's defined by anything. Honestly, based on early feedback the new Z4 will probably drive better than every M car other than the M2 maybe anyway.
I wouldn't be surprised if it handles great. I saw a prototype at the VDC in Oxnard. That thing is really small with no back seat so it should be very light. I had the previous Z4 for 2 days once and racked up 1,000 miles. It was firm and sporty compared to my M235i. My M2C rides way better than the previous Z4 though. The M2C feels like a bigger car, which it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 04:45 PM   #75
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it handles great. I saw a prototype at the VDC in Oxnard. That thing is really small with no back seat so it should be very light
It's based on CLAR, so figure 40kg less due to carbon fiber frame parts.
But a convertible of that size figure 8% weight penality vs coupe of same size.
Lower center of gravity though.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #76
M-Supra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2, 2JZ-M5

To echo what some have said here, there is a very limited window to seat piston rings to cylinder walls in a fresh engine, that window is much longer with drivetrain components.

I have built multiple race and street engines for myself and it doesn't matter if it's a 3.4L 1500hp 2JZ-GTE, a brand new N55 powered M2, a fresh top end KTM 300XC 2-smoker, etc.. I was taught that you crank it up, verify oil pressure, check for leaks, allow to warm up to operating temperature (coolant and oil) with varying rpm, shut down, allow to completely cool, crank back up, varying rpm to operating temperature (coolant and oil), drive it like you stole it for several miles, allow complete cool down, change all lubricating fluids and change oil to one with high ZDDP for shear strength especially on turbo engines and/or flat tappet camshaft engines, rings should now be seated.

Above scenario is with previously broken in drivetrain components. On brand new M2 and 2JZ M5 with brand new triple disc carbon clutch, same scenario without allowing any slipping of clutches (gradual throttle input, fully warmed R-compound tires).

Manufacturers and Dealers make a shit ton of money on second hand cars with engines that were broken in by the book (very slowly). These engines eventually show excessive blow-by, oil consumption, loss of originally rated power during their life cycle because the rings never seated properly and cannot be seated properly once the narrow window of opportunity has passed.

Take it for what it's worth, there is lot of misinformation out there...anyone think a race engine in a race car is driven 1200 miles for break-in at low rpm and load? Anyone know what a 500 mile NASCAR race on a fresh race engine is equivalent to in street engine/street miles...over 100K

Let'r rip tater chip

Strong head winds in Mexico but fairly strong for an OG:

Last edited by M-Supra; 10-27-2018 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
Karmic Man1996.00
      10-29-2018, 11:56 AM   #77
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Again - bedding brakes, clutch, diff and engine (rings carving cylinder walls) all do indeed continue to "break in" after you take delivery but as pointed out earlier - the designated procedures are more about you learning the car vs you doing irreparable harm to your vehicle by not following the procedure.

I think the main take away is that regardless of how you "break in" your new car - get that first batch of fluids out asap. I'll be replacing all drain plugs with dimple magnetic replacements.

I drove mine like I stole it for the first 1173 miles but did use careful inputs and tried not to redline. I also NEVER ream on a cold car - I always wait until oil temp is up before ever venturing past 3k. Same in all of my cars.

What will give you longevity is regular oil changes and proper maintenance. I will never exceed 7k mile intervals no matter what. I had an old 201 diesel with 48x,xxx miles on it - who knows how it's break in went back in 86 but It didn't get to almost half a million miles because of it. I was the reason with proper maintenance intervals.

I wish people focused on regular maintenance as much as they focus on break-ins - yeesh.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 12:41 PM   #78
M-Supra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2, 2JZ-M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proctor750 View Post
Again - bedding brakes, clutch, diff and engine (rings carving cylinder walls) all do indeed continue to "break in" after you take delivery but as pointed out earlier - the designated procedures are more about you learning the car vs you doing irreparable harm to your vehicle by not following the procedure.

I think the main take away is that regardless of how you "break in" your new car - get that first batch of fluids out asap. I'll be replacing all drain plugs with dimple magnetic replacements.

I drove mine like I stole it for the first 1173 miles but did use careful inputs and tried not to redline. I also NEVER ream on a cold car - I always wait until oil temp is up before ever venturing past 3k. Same in all of my cars.

What will give you longevity is regular oil changes and proper maintenance. I will never exceed 7k mile intervals no matter what. I had an old 201 diesel with 48x,xxx miles on it - who knows how it's break in went back in 86 but It didn't get to almost half a million miles because of it. I was the reason with proper maintenance intervals.

I wish people focused on regular maintenance as much as they focus on break-ins - yeesh.
On point!

These high end ladies need some good old fashioned foreplay before you ride them hard...you wouldn't try to ram it in bone dry, if you do, she'll most likely punch you right in the nutz or in your wallet
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #79
alavigne
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydesmo View Post
Break-in is a myth, they put a whole lot of bullshit in the manual, bmw M performance cars get sent to skidpads, road courses, autocrosses with 10 miles on them.

They get trashed till about 7k miles.

No problems.
Do you mean to imply that they reset or zero out the odometer before delivery?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 01:30 PM   #80
NY135ivishnu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 135i

So I couldn't wait till they actually came out for this model specifically, one thing that's really different is in witch way the ducts come from bottom up instead of front kidney grills to intake.

I got the car service at 1300 miles from bmw park ave. There is definitely a difference in how the car sounded before and after the service. I feel I have less pop from the exhaust now. Ass dyno feels about the same. The sound of the intake when you hear the whooshing from the turbo/ diverted valves is amazing !
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00