BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M Performance coilovers for M2 and M2C: same ?

09-23-2018, 08:51 PM   #45
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep
Drives: M3CS & Cayman S

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMagneticAL View Post
seems ast provides a plate to disperse the force to the body.
Nope, the stock top shock mount is with three bolts. The AST is just a top mount adapter for their spherical end shock. Its best quality is the road noise.
look at the link i posted and check out the second picture. im familiar with what the oem setup and typical off the shelf coilover systems like my kw v3 look like. I've installed these setups on both the f80 and f87, but never a true coilover in the back.

ast 5100 looks like the typical separate strut and spring setup, but the 5200 and 5300 looks like a true coilover with a 3-bolt hole mounting plate from the pictures and descriptions I've seen. the guys at Motorsport Hardware also tell me it's a true coilover in the back, but i never got to ask them how that works. but i took his word on it since he tracks an m3 with the 5300. if the 5200 and 5300 are mounted to the oem shock mount, that would surprise me.

it won't be for a while, but when i do eventually upgrade to the m2c from my base m2, I'll report back with exactly how it gets installed.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 08:58 PM   #46
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep
Drives: M3CS & Cayman S

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Quote:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1410589

seems ast provides a plate to disperse the force to the body. the 5200 rear design looks similar to the front top hats, but with three bolts.
I'd want to know if the oem damper mounting points - top and bottom - have enough meat on them to take body weight and spring loads combined. Esp top mounts may need re-inforcing as oem damper forces into that area would be much less than loadings from coilover set up....
I'm pretty sure the factory mounting points are good enough in the back. the front is not thick, reinforced steel, and the rear is basically designed the same way, but with three holes. the lower control arm is the same arm the spring sits on, so that definitely will be okay.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 11:57 PM   #47
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the factory mounting points are good enough in the back. the front is not thick, reinforced steel, and the rear is basically designed the same way, but with three holes. the lower control arm is the same arm the spring sits on, so that definitely will be okay.
Yes - front can be re-inforced with oem M3/M4 strut top "rings"[part # 31302285700 &01].

Rear - I'd be curious if lower m12 mount bolt [part # 07119905610] is man enough to cope with additional loads...