BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > BMW M Performance Exhaust NOT legal anymore in Germany!

06-28-2018, 04:27 PM   #89
Trubester88
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
This is likely the real reason...not the unsubstantiated nonsense in the original post.
The fix to this issue would be for all sports car manufacturers to install louder stock pipes.
amw896582.50
      06-28-2018, 04:29 PM   #90
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostriderf80 View Post
Is this because of noise ?
Yes, Laguna Seca usually has 90-92dB sound limit depending on the event (except for couple days in a year that the limit is 105dB but those track days are very limited and much more expensive).
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #91
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Another thing not possible in Europe.... We cannot see or read anything from Caranddriver in Europe.

MR
The text:

Lately, there are daily headlines in Germany accusing automakers of various evils. It’s not enough that they are charged with rigging the emissions data on their cars and of being members of a “cartel” that discusses issues such as setting a sensible maximum vehicle velocity at which convertible tops open. They now face potential antitrust investigations. Now, the police department in the mid-size town of Mannheim has seized the moment to call out the exhaust systems of performance cars. Police chief Dieter Schäfer snitched to the authorities at the Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt (KBA), the agency responsible for certifying that vehicles comply with regulations, about the noise made by cars with sport exhaust modes.
Referring to exhaust flaps, which keep performance cars quiet and in compliance with noise regulations at moderate loads but open up when drivers step on the throttle or select a performance driving mode, the police chief said, “We can’t have something certified that makes a large amount of noise in real life.”

Using the technology to keep cars quiet in compliance with the country’s strict noise standards when they’re being driven slowly in urban areas, while allowing enhanced performance on the open highway, is a common practice here—but the KBA was reported to have assiduously promised to “look into the matter.” If the KBA retroactively finds wrongdoing, carmakers including Mercedes-AMG, BMW M, Porsche, and Audi Sport may be subject to heavy penalties. And owners may face the prospect of quieter performance cars, when and if carmakers are required to stop using this method of complying with regulations.

Artificial sounds, which some automakers have started playing through their cars’ audio systems, may provide a solution—and may even open the door to other possibilities. A 242-hp Kia Optima GT we recently drove in Europe sounded like any old sleepy four-banger from the outside, but its stereo system piped in noises that more resembled the throaty bass note of a V-8. It’s one way to stay in regulatory compliance while providing drivers with auditory thrills. Heck, even an electric-car driver could enjoy the sounds of a high-revving V-12 in the cabin. At least until authorities decide to regulate the noises inside our cars.
      06-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #92
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
This is why ppl wanted brexit, get those EU ninnies TF outta there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
This is why ppl wanted brexit, get those EU ninnies TF outta there!
I agree it's annoying but comments like this make me realise exactly why I DON'T want Brexit.

That and Remainers generally seem to know how to spell.
chris7197273.00
      06-28-2018, 04:49 PM   #93
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hope the mods change the title of this thread as it's clearly misleading.

Anyway, the reason BMW withdraws the M-Performance exhausts seems to be twofold:

1: For cars with SOP 07.2018 it won't comply with the particulate filter
2: In Germany a new law has been passed that bans exhaust sound generators and lays down stricter rules on aftermarket exhausts

Since the folder posted was from BMW Germany it seems that #2 above might be a problem also for cars made before 07.2018 (but then only for the German market).

The new German law bans completely aftermarket sound generators that often is used on diesel cars to make them sound like a high powered petrol engine. It also lays down stricter requirements for aftermarket exhausts.

https://www.motor-talk.de/news/ander...-t6359596.html

Quote:
Berlin - How strong a car sounds, determine engine and legislation. With a few tricks of a medium-sized diesel is still a huge gasoline engine: so-called sound actuators (or sound generators, "Active Sound") can make a car any powerful or loud hum.

These are loudspeakers that can play any kind of engine sound under the control of the speed signal. Audi can be in this way nagelnde diesels like V8 gasoline engine. The principle is so popular that suppliers quickly offered similar systems for retrofitting.

Such subsequently installed sound generators are no longer registered. The Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (BMVI) informs about this decision in the Verkehrsblatt issue 5/2018. The only exception: Electrically operated vehicles may make artificial warning noises.

Sound generators are no longer recordable

In the network excited about sound generators, especially about the approval. Some systems were previously delivered with a partial report and could register with it. Other components were sold without appraisals, but with false arguments: The providers equated their systems with audio equipment and sold them falsely as registration free.

Now the BMVI makes it absolutely clear: the facilities are subject to registration, but no longer registrable. The traffic journal states that the generators are not equivalent to sports exhaust. They contradict the paragraph 30 (paragraph 1: vehicles may not bother anyone) and 55 (sound, eg horn) of the StVZO.

However, manufacturers will continue to provide comparable systems. These are mainly about the sound, not the volume. The ban only applies to retrofitting. In principle, such generators could have a future anyway: They are able to make cars quieter through counter-noise.

On request from MOTOR-TALK, a spokesman for the TÜV Süd said that the retrofitting of exhaust systems offered with ex works offered sound generators on non-dedicated engines is also prohibited. All appraisals of accessory systems are now invalid. Legally registered investments are still
allowed.

Exhaust systems with valve control: restrictions on modification

The traffic sheet also mentions new rules for the subsequent modification of so-called flap systems, ie exhaust systems with a variable geometry. In the standard state, they regulate volume and sound depending on load, speed and driving mode. This principle can be manipulated - the exhaust is then on demand or at any

Critical: Older vehicles are subject to rather simple noise regulations. You only have to comply with the specified noise level in certain modes ("normal operating conditions"). Additional modes did not need to be tested - so the exhaust could be out of the tested driving conditions.

For this purpose, the BMVI notes in the traffic journal that any changes to flap systems contradict Paragraph 30 StVZO if they bring more noise with them. Regardless of whether this happens inside or outside the originally tested driving conditions. And that applies even if the car was approved according to the old standard. Factory-installed, modified flap controls or sound generators are only allowed if the car does not get louder.

For an approval, the volume must be compared in "all real driving situations" before and after the conversion if necessary. A changed sound is therefore still allowed - more noise, however, not.
This ONLY applies to Germany at the moment, however the EU Regulation actually has a similar wording though (but that has been the same since 2016 and lot's of aftermarket exhausts have been approved since then):

Article 6 #4

Quote:
4.The sound emission of the vehicle or replacement silencing system under typical on-road driving conditions, which are different from those under which the type-approval test set out in Annex II and Annex VII was carried out, shall not deviate from the test result in a significant manner.
Appreciate 1
Jamesmick131.00
      06-28-2018, 04:50 PM   #94
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
If they're going to do this with cars, then do the same with loud v-twin no exhaust choppers
I hear yeah but good luck with that.

Unless you have the Hells Angels on your side.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 04:52 PM   #95
ec126
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

They're stopping the sale of MPE due to the persistent cracking that's causing excessive noise
      06-28-2018, 05:00 PM   #96
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 06

I'm starting to give up on my dream of moving to Europe for my love of history, beautiful scenery, well dressed women, and delicious food. It seems many rights and (more accurately) norms we have in new world are simply not the case across the sea. And paying 20% sales tax, yikes. Your governments seem to be trying to suppress the self thinking hard working individual.

But on the contrast we're obnoxiously prudish over here. You can't even go out for drinks and have them on an open table outside, unless it be fenced off
Better leave the kids at home if there's a slot machine in the venue

I pray for all my fellow enthusiasts this isn't on the top of Merkel's continental dominance agenda
Epsom Green P38 Range Rover SE
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2018, 05:09 PM   #97
Edtex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Coupe Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatJ View Post
I am currently trying to source the M Performance Exhaust from anywhere in Europe but seems like an impossible task.

All the dealers (that I've contacted so far) say that there's absolutely no inventory whatsoever left and they are unaware of when or if there will be an updated version in the future. (For what it's worth, based on the info I've read, I personally also believe that there will be one at some point.)

If anybody can advise me where to find one inside the EU (trying to avoid ridiculous custom fees and taxes), I'd be more than happy!

Thx already in advance.
Buy one on ebay and have it shipped to you. Shipping might be expensive however.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 05:10 PM   #98
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbaguk View Post
I agree it's annoying but comments like this make me realise exactly why I DON'T want Brexit.

That and Remainers generally seem to know how to spell.
Wow someone shortened their forum typing, they must be completely illiterate!

Yes i'm sure as a Spaniard you don't want the 2nd largest contributor to leave

All banter though, my soon to be brother in law is Spanish (sister lives in Spain) and your country is lovely
Attached Images

Epsom Green P38 Range Rover SE
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 05:17 PM   #99
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

it sounds terrible to begin with, no wonder they shut down the M performance exhaust system haha
      06-28-2018, 05:31 PM   #100
TheGreatJ
Finland
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition Sport LE, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubester88 View Post
Oh shoot, yeah I found out about this a month ago when the German dealership who had originally quoted me for the exhaust for my new BMW called me a week before pickup and said they cannot purchase the exhaust. I immediately went to IND and they are shipping me the exhaust right now to Italy which will arrive next week. If you own the exhaust, BMW will install it but they cannot buy the exhaust. Oh yeah, and shipping to Italy ain’t cheap but I wanted the exhaust and IND hooked me up by cutting down the size of the freaking box which is the size of a 1999 Z3M.
Could you please PM me about the IND shipping costs to Italy (Europe)? Did you find a way to avoid the import taxes and custom fees? (They will add up roughly 30-35 % of the selling price here!) I am pondering on doing something similar... Thx buddy!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 05:31 PM   #101
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I'm pretty sure both stock GT350 and GT350R are louder than 95db under WOT. How does Ford even sell them in CA?
Cars are not tested at WOT. Tested anywhere from 50-75% of redline in Cali.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 05:36 PM   #102
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Cars are not tested at WOT. Tested anywhere from 50-75% of redline in Cali.
Interesting but still not fully convinced that they are not louder than 95dB most of the time as these cars pretty loud even under mild throttle. Check out 4:50 mark in the video below, GT350R blows 110.4dB under WOT.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 05:40 PM   #103
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Govt overreach at its finest. Sure hope were not looking forward to this kind of crap over here any time soon.
2020 M340
Appreciate 2
mcc3456332.00
dmboone254970.50
      06-28-2018, 05:40 PM   #104
TheGreatJ
Finland
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition Sport LE, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edtex View Post
Buy one on ebay and have it shipped to you. Shipping might be expensive however.
Yeah, agree. I have to still keep searching for ebay sellers that are within EU (to avoid double taxes and customs fees). Found a few in UK but they were not delivering outside of UK. :/ Not easy...

Last edited by TheGreatJ; 06-28-2018 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 05:45 PM   #105
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

...yet annoying Harley-Davidsons still exist. Go figure!
Appreciate 1
amw896582.50
      06-28-2018, 05:52 PM   #106
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vucko View Post
, but honestly no one cares as we can buy a cop some beer or give him like 10eur and he will act as we say
That doesn't seem great that corruption is part of your culture.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 05:59 PM   #107
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Thanks for the info

I was at a friends and while there it occurred to me that the most likely reason for this was that new cars now must have a particulate filter and that the M-Performance exhaust most likely isn't compatible with this. Your info points to that as the reason as well.

They have even stopped making the F80 M3 due to the need to install a particulate filter and chose only to homologate the M4

Also, the BMW info states that it's only vehicles with SOP (Start Of Production) 07.2018 that is affected by this.
indeed... the EOP for the M3 was moved up in advance of July from October 2018
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 06:00 PM   #108
M2Rob
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White M2

Dont the current Corvette's have an automatic valve that adjust with throttle response? would that get by this nonsense if BMW just made the valves automatic and from the factory?
      06-28-2018, 06:03 PM   #109
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeru View Post
I just don't get the activist Merkel gang. They push aggressive painful fiscal policies on the Southern Europeans yet at the same time welcome hordes from the Middle East and Africa and provide welfare benefits. She claims to be pro-Europe, yet this decision could harm the likes of Acrapovic and others.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Appreciate 2
Brake_Late1936.50
Yeru210.50
      06-28-2018, 06:20 PM   #110
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

the easily solution is to bring Akrapovic in-house and outfit every BMW with an Akra Evo as OE!

Damn, do I need to run BMW or what....
Yeru210.50