BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > High Oil Temperature

09-03-2019, 08:16 PM   #1
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

High Oil Temperature

Compare to other engines, the N55 engine runs at a pretty high oil temperature, about 115°C (240°F). Most cars I have driven run at 90°C, even after hard driving, they won't exceed 95°C.

If I use Sport mode the car would lower its temperature to 90°C, but the transmission shifts late in automatic mode or I have to use paddle shifters, they are not something I want during my commute.

I probably shouldn't be concerned about the high oil temperature since the car is designer that way, but is there a way to enable better cooling while shifting the car at a relatively normal rpm?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 08:31 PM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
Compare to other engines, the N55 engine runs at a pretty high oil temperature, about 115°C (240°F). Most cars I have driven run at 90°C, even after hard driving, they won't exceed 95°C.

If I use Sport mode the car would lower its temperature to 90°C, but the transmission shifts late in automatic mode or I have to use paddle shifters, they are not something I want during my commute.

I probably shouldn't be concerned about the high oil temperature since the car is designer that way, but is there a way to enable better cooling while shifting the car at a relatively normal rpm?
240F seems quite hot, especially for a daily commute scenario.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 09:35 PM   #3
rafaelamorim
Rep
Drives: BMW M2, Porsche 944, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:

I've noticed mine usually stays around 210F in daily driving situations or even at the track.

The only time I saw the oil temp creep up to 240F was while playing at the skid pad mostly in first and second gear.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 09:57 PM   #4
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaelamorim View Post
I've noticed mine usually stays around 210F in daily driving situations or even at the track.

The only time I saw the oil temp creep up to 240F was while playing at the skid pad mostly in first and second gear.
When my car is fully warmed up in Comfort mode, it usually looks like this, or just a little bit higher.

(This is not my picture)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 10:15 PM   #5
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
When my car is fully warmed up in Comfort mode, it usually looks like this, or just a little bit higher.
Yea, that's what I was thinking. That it was getting that hot because you're in comfort mode. Still 240F seems too high to me. Especially during a commute shifting at low rpm, as per comfort auto. What oil are you running?

I'm in the US, so my dash gauge might be different than yours. As well as I never drive in comfort mode. But mine sits around the first tick. 1/4 line. I did have bm3 hooked up today though and was playing switching between comfort and dsc off to see the cooling difference. Just in my city with light driving and stop lights. Noticed coolant would get a few degrees F higher in comfort. But, like I said, I was only playing around and don't even remember the values.

To answer your question though. Sport, Sport+, and DSC Off are the only modes with increased cooling. I don't think either of them have the shifting experience you're looking for, though you can try and see. Additionally, if you push the car harder in comfort mode, the increased cooling will kick in. Not the answer you want, but that's the way it is.

Here is more info on how the coolimg works
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...oling/F7kt8r2W

Last edited by Anthony1s; 09-03-2019 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
MetalMK228.50
      09-03-2019, 10:15 PM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

Nope, but a M2C would let you set the transmission independent of a mode that handles cooling.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

I just drove around my city for 40mins in comfort auto and these are the temps I got...

So, seems like yours is normal.
Appreciate 1
MetalMK228.50
      09-04-2019, 02:08 PM   #8
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

The car doesn’t try to pull power to reduce heat until oil temps are >270F, so you’re good.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #9
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I just drove around my city for 40mins in comfort auto and these are the temps I got...

So, seems like yours is normal.
Thank your for confirming my readings. I guess I just have to use paddles to keep my temperature "normal".
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 10:08 PM   #10
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Just saw this and thought of you. I wonder if this would lower your temps while in comfort mode.

https://burgertuning.com/collections...l-cooler-valve
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 08:13 AM   #11
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Quote:
Just saw this and thought of you. I wonder if this would lower your temps while in comfort mode.

Yes! Easy and cheap insurance!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 11:04 AM   #12
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotxERAU View Post
Yes! Easy and cheap insurance!
The thing that I question is the description says "increases flow to your fender mounted engine oil/air heat exchanger"

So let's say they are talking about the auxilery oil cooler in the bumper. The question then comes... is that oil cooler blocked off while in comfort mode. I think it might be. If so, then this won't do anything for OP.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #13
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I am quite confused with this product. How does a coloured stick lower the oil temperature?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #14
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I am quite confused with this product. How does a coloured stick lower the oil temperature?
It pushes in the thermostat to keep it open all the time. Downside is it will take your car longer to warm up.

Here is some further reading for you:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997880

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18502
Appreciate 1
MetalMK228.50