BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Screwdriver for CF steering wheel trim?

10-23-2020, 01:48 PM   #1
leftcoastq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Screwdriver for CF steering wheel trim?

Hi everyone - I've tried multiple screwdrivers but haven't been able to successfully engage the clip from the side of the steering column that allows for the removal/replacement of the steering wheel trim.

Can anyone who has successfully done it let me know which exact screwdriver they used? I tried one that was too thin, one too thick, etc. Just want to be able to get it on!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 04:42 PM   #2
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Ok i'll try to help as took a few mins to work it out. Initially I was blindly pushing against the wrong part.

If you look inside with a bright light you'll see bright shiny flat metal, that is part of the steering wheel and NOT what you want to push.

It's actually really easy when you know how, a flat head is by far the best. What you are aiming for is a darker grey round sprung bit of wire behind the shiny metal that doesn't move (or put another way it is farther from you/toward the engine). You push against this and it has a moderate amount of give nothing crazy.

Then you're good to go.

Unhooked battery etc for airbag?

Last edited by 3t3p; 10-24-2020 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
leftcoastq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you... I tried with the light and everything, maybe I'm just being dense. I read elsewhere here people also had issues with screwdrivers that were too skinny, might need to just keep at it.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastq View Post
I read elsewhere here people also had issues with screwdrivers that were too skinny, might need to just keep at it.
I used a long handle hex head (allen key) wrench, slightly smaller than the hole, instead of a screwdriver.

That said, the first time I was installing the trim, it took literally 10 seconds to pop out the airbag and I wondered why people have trouble.

The second time, when installing a new wheel, it took me quite a bit longer to pop it out, causing some frustration on my part!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:32 PM   #5
Mosfry
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Z4 X3

I used a chopstick. Took me awhile to figure out the first time but second one was a breeze once you understand where to push. It doesn't require to much force once you push at the right spot. I think I had to push the chopstick (at the bottom) forward so the insertion (top)part would be more towards my body once in.

Hope that helps cause it was driving me crazy until I realized where to push.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 01:49 AM   #6
leftcoastq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you all - will try again with these. Wish me luck
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 01:36 AM   #7
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

You want something almost as thick as the hole. And it should have flat end (allen or torx works well). Since you were able to do one side then you know what it's supposed to feel like when you hit the right spot.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 10:24 AM   #8
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

I was having trouble as well, until i found an angle where i could actually see into the hole to see what I was supposed to be pushing - then it was much easier. the side closest to the center console is I want to say and I used a skinny long flat head.
Appreciate 0