BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Winter vs all-season

10-21-2020, 07:18 PM   #1
Helles
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i

Winter vs all-season

Hey all - I have a new M2C slated to arrive this weekend at my dealer. Of course here in Colorado we're going from a glorious near 70 Saturday to 20s and snow on Sunday and Monday. It won't get warm enough to safely drive on the summer performance tires it's coming with until Wednesday when it will hit 50 for a high.

I've inquired with my dealer about winters and it's pretty steep for the only tire they can get - the Pirelli Winter Sotto Zeros. Here's my dilemma, this car will see very little snow - I'll garage it when there's actual weather and drive my truck. In truth we get little snow here in Denver compared to the mountains. I could save half the cost for a good set of all-seasons (which BMW doesn't stock and I'll have to seek them out elsewhere) or just bite the bullet and pay out the nose for the true snow tires when I take delivery.
You're thoughts are welcome
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 07:36 PM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

IMO, the temperature range of all-seasons make them a no-go for winter. The rubber hardens up too much when it gets cold. So it gets dicey even when driving on clear roads if it's 35 degrees or below.

With your situation though, it sounds like you can keep the summers on and just not drive the car until you feel it's okay to do so.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:04 PM   #3
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

If it’s just a matter of getting it home, are you close enough that a flat bed tow truck could bring it home for you? Or are you looking for something to throw on that can handle the widely varied temps so you can drive all winter (snowy conditions aside)?

As a counterpoint to Anthony, 70 degrees is pretty warm for a true snow tire, especially if it’s dry. Is 20 degrees as cold as it gets there, at least when you’ll be driving? What’s the likely temp range you’ll drive in?

That said, I like the Sottozero 3 that I run on the M2 in the winter. They still drive decent enough on cold and dry or wet roads. Much better than a traditional snow tire.

I think BMW sells the SZ2 though as a BMW approved tire, and while I don’t recall the details from my research two years ago, there was a significant difference from SZ2 to SZ3.

Last idea- order wheels and tires from Tire Rack. They ship very quick and might be able to get them to you by your pickup appointment, and if your dealer is willing, you might even be able to have them delivered there.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 10:01 PM   #4
Helles
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i

Good points guys - I think I'm looking for something I can drive on and enjoy the car this winter minus the nasty days. On average, the coldest it'll see is 20s when I go the gym before sunrise. Winter in Denver can vary widely. It's not uncommon to see low 60s on a blue sky day - which we get a lot of. It doesn't stay gray here like the midwest and the snow doesn't stick around at least on the roads.
I'd love to get a dedicated square setup for winter from tirerack, but the damn wheels that will fit an M2 are $$$.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 10:39 PM   #5
TheAMackAttack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 LBB DCT

I lived in Denver at the start of last winter before moving to Salt Lake at the beginning of this year. It did suck driving to work at like 7am when it was 30 degrees when you knew the temperature would warm into the 60s during the afternoon. That being said, it's not worth it to drive on summer tires in the cold mornings of Colorado. You risk the tires cracking, or worse, an accident. I haven't personally driven the car with the summer tires in extreme cold but I've heard that dry traction can be scary in the below freezing temps.

I ended up getting a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin 4s to put on the car (and had to get them on by early October!). I've found them to be outstanding tires. I'm in a similar situation to you, I don't seek out snow with my car so I'm seeking more of a winter performance tire rather than a true snow tire. I've also had the pleasure of getting stuck in several random Utah snow storms with my Alpins and they perform admirably. You'll still have some issues related to RWD but winter tires are a true game changer when it comes to feeling safe in any inclement weather that winter brings.

So my recommendation would be to strongly consider a performance winter tire like the Alpins or the Pirellis.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
Jophy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

I also live in Denver and after checking this weekends weather I went ahead and ordered a set of PA4s for my M2C.
      10-22-2020, 02:11 PM   #7
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

you can get by on all seasons with an AWD car for the most part, but I wouldn't try it for a RWD car. just get a dedicated winter wheel/tire set. not cheap but better than not being able to drive, or driving and wrecking
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 02:17 PM   #8
bngcruiser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '89 Land Cruiser, '18 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I just started a very similar thread with a very similar question about my new to me 2018 M2.

I have an '89 Land Cruiser that will pull most winter duty, but I will definitely be sad leaving the M2 in the garage on those clear sunny 20 degree mornings when it warms up to 65 by noon.

I won't pull the car out with snow on the roads (i'll drive my Land Cruiser), so I was leaning towards all seasons. Interested to hear which way you are leaning.

FWIW - I was planning on Conti DWS 06's in stock sizing to go on my OEM wheels and to buy dedicated summer wheels for next spring.

- JR
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 11:27 AM   #9
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Such a different Fall for me than the last few. It's going to be below freezing overnight a few times over the next couple of days, which is weird for the Portland Metro in late October (not unheard of, though). This will be my 22nd winter in this 'burb, and the pattern, what there is of it, likely indicates actual snow this year.

Every OTHER year, I'd be putting my winters on this weekend. This year with working from home, there's nothing that forces me out of the house until the afternoon, so I'm going to wait.

Due to a total lack of commitment with actually putting effort into selling my 641's with PA4's (and I don't want to put winters on my 788's without selling my third wheel set), I'm sure they'll be back on the car before November is done.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #10
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

You can drive PSS tires above 20F but below 40F they are pretty slick. Any temps below 20F and the car sits in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 08:01 PM   #11
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I've had my car for two chilly seasons, and the affect the cold had on braking below 40 degrees was the big "not chancing this" piece of it for me on the PSS's. I'm perfectly capable of controlling how fast I go to make up for the lack of grip while moving, but none of us are entirely in control of how hard we'll have to break when someone does something stupid or a Velociraptor decides to run across the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 09:10 PM   #12
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
I've had my car for two chilly seasons, and the affect the cold had on braking below 40 degrees was the big "not chancing this" piece of it for me on the PSS's. I'm perfectly capable of controlling how fast I go to make up for the lack of grip while moving, but none of us are entirely in control of how hard we'll have to break when someone does something stupid or a Velociraptor decides to run across the road.
Good point. I don't really think about that, as the average speed of my M2 is below 14mph.
Appreciate 0