BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Help with wheel choice

10-07-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
DanM2C
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C, 2013 BMW 328i xdrive

Help with wheel choice

Hey all - am looking to get a set of wheels to replace the 788m on my Hockenheim Silver M2C. Have a few candidates in mind and wanted to get some forum member input.

1. 763M, black. Main benefit to these is that they are more lightweight than the 788s and I overall like the design a little better. Secondarily, they are significantly less expensive than the other options on the list which is not a deal maker/breaker but something to keep in mind. Main downside is color choice in that I am not going to go for the gold ones and although the black have a decent look, black wheels are not my favorite except for a very few exotic cars with gaudy paint and calipers to match.

2. BBS FI-R. I did not originally have these on my radar but they are a forum favorite and have the benefit of being very lightweight. Plus the diamond black color is more my style than black black. Significantly more expensive than the 763s but like I said not deal breaker.

3. HRE R101-lw. I have had my eye on these for a while. Very lightweight and I have always been a fan of HRE. Not going to be tracking the car so I do not know if going this light is overkill but they are also good looking. They would be my only HRE choice if I hadn't recently seen...

4. HRE P101-SC. To my untrained eyes, these look a little bit better than the R101-lw. From what I can tell, they are still light wheels albeit a little heavier than the R101-lw. I havent been able to find the weight online (maybe I didnt search hard enough) and the main question would be how they compare weight wise to the other 3 options.

One pro/con for both of the HRE options is that there are so many color choices available that I will find something I like but also may drive myself crazy choosing between Brushed Dark Clear, Polished Dark Clear, Frozen Dark Clear, etc.

I didnt throw up a poll on this one because I just wanted to get a general sense of what people think about the aforementioned options. With regards to the cost, the more than $8000 for both the BBS and HRE options is not throwaway money for me in that I would save up for a little but it is also something that is not going to put me in debt.

Thanks ahead of time!
      10-07-2020, 09:23 PM   #2
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM2C View Post
Hey all - am looking to get a set of wheels to replace the 788m on my Hockenheim Silver M2C. Have a few candidates in mind and wanted to get some forum member input.

1. 763M, black. Main benefit to these is that they are more lightweight than the 788s and I overall like the design a little better. Secondarily, they are significantly less expensive than the other options on the list which is not a deal maker/breaker but something to keep in mind. Main downside is color choice in that I am not going to go for the gold ones and although the black have a decent look, black wheels are not my favorite except for a very few exotic cars with gaudy paint and calipers to match.

2. BBS FI-R. I did not originally have these on my radar but they are a forum favorite and have the benefit of being very lightweight. Plus the diamond black color is more my style than black black. Significantly more expensive than the 763s but like I said not deal breaker.

3. HRE R101-lw. I have had my eye on these for a while. Very lightweight and I have always been a fan of HRE. Not going to be tracking the car so I do not know if going this light is overkill but they are also good looking. They would be my only HRE choice if I hadn't recently seen...

4. HRE P101-SC. To my untrained eyes, these look a little bit better than the R101-lw. From what I can tell, they are still light wheels albeit a little heavier than the R101-lw. I havent been able to find the weight online (maybe I didnt search hard enough) and the main question would be how they compare weight wise to the other 3 options.

One pro/con for both of the HRE options is that there are so many color choices available that I will find something I like but also may drive myself crazy choosing between Brushed Dark Clear, Polished Dark Clear, Frozen Dark Clear, etc.

I didnt throw up a poll on this one because I just wanted to get a general sense of what people think about the aforementioned options. With regards to the cost, the more than $8000 for both the BBS and HRE options is not throwaway money for me in that I would save up for a little but it is also something that is not going to put me in debt.

Thanks ahead of time!
Choosing the "right" set of wheels can depend on so many factors. Cost, intended use, personal preferences, what type and size of tire you want to run, etc.

In any case, I will give a few thoughts on the candidates you've listed

1. 763M - I have these wheels and like them a lot. As you noted, they are remarkably light for a factory 19" wheel and you would have spend a great deal more money to get something significantly lighter. I also think they look fantastic and are so much easier to clean. Only available in 19x9.0 ET 29, 19x10 ET40 and 20x10 ET40. Made in Taiwan.

2. BBS FI-R - Without a doubt a beautiful wheel. Super lightweight. Only available in 19x9.5 ET 22, 19x10.5 ET 35, 20x9.5 ET 22 and 20x10.5 ET 35. Made in Germany.

3. HRE R101-LW - My personal "dream" / "cost no object" wheel. Love the design. Super lightweight. Custom sizing. Made in the USA.

4. HRE P101-SC - A bit undecided on the additional machining. On the one hand, it reduces weight and adds an additional level of detail. On the other, I think it takes away from the simpler lines of the original design and would be more difficult to clean. Don't know the weight difference compared to the R101-LW. Custom sizing. Made in the USA.
Appreciate 1
DanM2C80.50
      10-07-2020, 09:25 PM   #3
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

763s!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DanM2C80.50
      10-07-2020, 11:10 PM   #4
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

I think a better approach would be to think of what tyres (brand, model & sizes) you want to run and then based on that pitch your wheel of choice
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 11:28 PM   #5
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
I think a better approach would be to think of what tyres (brand, model & sizes) you want to run and then based on that pitch your wheel of choice
It's either gonna be cup2 or 4s. I dont think it matters that much to OP
      10-07-2020, 11:44 PM   #6
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
It's either gonna be cup2 or 4s. I dont think it matters that much to OP
Why so?

Plenty of brands and sizes to choose from!

Fir a start in 19s
245/265 35
255/275 35
265/285 30
265/295 30
275/295 30
275/305 30

Bridgestone RE-71R, RE-71RS, S007A
Pirelli Trofeo R, P Zero Corsa
Falken RT660
Yokohama AD08R
Goodyear F1 Supersports
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 05:56 AM   #7
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Both 763M and BBS FI-R may be a stronger wheel compared to the other options. 763M is cheaper to replace if need be. If it matters.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 08:22 AM   #8
DanM2C
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
Both 763M and BBS FI-R may be a stronger wheel compared to the other options. 763M is cheaper to replace if need be. If it matters.
That is an interesting thing I haven't thought of. Have you heard of HRE wheels being less strong? I figured since they were forged an a reputable company the strength would be about that of the 763M and BBS
      10-08-2020, 12:03 PM   #9
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM2C View Post
That is an interesting thing I haven't thought of. Have you heard of HRE wheels being less strong? I figured since they were forged an a reputable company the strength would be about that of the 763M and BBS
I think 763M and BBS FI-R both use a different alloy, both may be stronger and less malleable than what HRE uses. Relatively. In case of BBS it would allow them to make that wheel so light (read to be at least as strong as other forged wheels).

ps: Reputable... I'm not sure their reputation is based on the ultimate in strength. I've had 2 sets of HRE forged wheels (R40 and RC103) and wasn't impressed. They bend relatively easily, lips and barrels.
Appreciate 1
DanM2C80.50
      10-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #10
DanM2C
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think 763M and BBS FI-R both use a different alloy, both may be stronger and less malleable than what HRE uses. Relatively. In case of BBS it would allow them to make that wheel so light (read to be at least as strong as other forged wheels).

ps: Reputable... I'm not sure their reputation is based on the ultimate in strength. I've had 2 sets of HRE forged wheels (R40 and RC103) and wasn't impressed. They bend relatively easily, lips and barrels.
Awesome man that is very helpful to know. Thanks!
      10-08-2020, 02:23 PM   #11
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
It's really hard to argue against the 763's as they are lightweight, look great, and are quality. Only thing is they are a bit more common. The BBS are soo damn pricey i could never justify it.
Appreciate 1
x233284.00
      10-08-2020, 03:25 PM   #12
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:

In the case of strength versus weight, there are almost always compromises that need to be made (as with most things)

The BBS FI-R, for example, uses a very thin barrel

This could be a concern for those running the larger 400mm 2NH brakes (which are more prone to having rocks get trapped between the calipers and 19" rims)

I believe forum member MR. has had to get at least two wheels replaced due to this issue

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=584

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=603
Appreciate 2
DanM2C80.50
      10-08-2020, 03:26 PM   #13
DanM2C
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
It's really hard to argue against the 763's as they are lightweight, look great, and are quality. Only thing is they are a bit more common. The BBS are soo damn pricey i could never justify it.
That's definitely true - the weight/quality/looks to price ratio is awesome on them. One extra thing I also looked up though is the weight savings. It looks like switching from the stock wheels to the 763s saves 16.7 lbs (give or take depending if the numbers I read were accurate). If I were to go for the R101lw, the weight savings would be 34.2 lbs which is a pretty significant difference.

I guess part of the determination is going to be if the extra money is worth the weight savings or not. Still haven't made up my mind
      10-09-2020, 01:49 AM   #14
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020M2Competition View Post
In the case of strength versus weight, there are almost always compromises that need to be made (as with most things)

The BBS FI-R, for example, uses a very thin barrel

This could be a concern for those running the larger 400mm 2NH brakes (which are more prone to having rocks get trapped between the calipers and 19" rims)

I believe forum member MR. has had to get at least two wheels replaced due to this issue

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=584

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=603
You are correct, it's always a compromise.

As for the barrel thickness, I think all of these wheels have rather thin barrels.

I once had one of my 437M rears damaged in a most bizarre way: the wheel barrel (and the tire) was punctured, literally, when a piece of metal something lying on the road went right through... and I looks like the oem 437M's barrel is hardly much thicker than 3 mm.

As for rocks getting caught between the front brake caliper and the wheel, I had that happen to my 437M wheels several times. Has yet to happen to my 763M wheels. They may have a slightly better clearance.

ps: I also think the car feels a bit lighter on its feet and a bit more compliant with 763M wheels installed. Had 437M fitted last night after the 763Ms and could tell the difference, not huge but a difference nonetheless.

Last edited by x233; 10-09-2020 at 01:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 02:07 AM   #15
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
To me, 763Ms make the most sense at the moment. Looks good, reasonably light, reasonably strong, correct width and offset, seems to have a bit better clearance, least expensive of the options, easy to source.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2020, 05:06 AM   #16
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PDX View Post
763s!
Is this a wrap? That's my favourite deep cobalt blue colour. Amazing

for the OP I stopped reading after seeing option One, 763 M
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 08:44 AM   #17
DanM2C
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input everyone! Just bit the bullet on the 763M

Several factors went into the decision:

1. They are good looking wheels like all the wheels on my initial list

2. Although black wheels were not my first choice, the more I looked at these on HKS, the more I thought they fit the car

3. Price was not a deal maker/breaker but the idea of shelling out > 2K per wheel if I ever damaged any of the other options did not make a lot of sense to me

4. I have been trying to keep the exterior of the car looking as OEM BMW as possible compared to my other car. Even though I have the akrapovic exhaust, it does not really change the exterior look significantly from the m performance exhaust

5. Fitment will be a non issue

Thanks everyone for the advice!!